• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

Cyberia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aWOwPwHGEA

Higher quality:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_driveclub_dusk_racing_in_chile-14613_en.html

Originally Posted by PS Blog

13 things we’d like you to know about this video:

1. If you’d like to see a version of the video with significantly higher image quality than shown on YouTube (and a closer representation of how the game looks on PS4), you’ll be able to download the 1080p video online soon.

2. The time of day is accelerated by x60, which is why the video covers from 6pm – 9pm in Chile in just three laps. Accelerating the speed of time is something you can choose to adjust before you race and it’s also why the sunlight disappears so quickly at 1:58. :)

3. Design Director Paul Rustchynksy is the driver. He’s using a Thrustmaster “T80 DRIVECLUB Edition” wheel, which explains why his last lap (in first person racing view) is the fastest.

4. The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development. Optimisations to the visual quality of the game are made every day, so while there are lots of impressive details on show you may also spot some things we’re still working on – like improving the anti-aliasing for certain assets and making sure that nothing pops in to view.

5. We decided to show this time trial event with on-screen display disabled, because lots of people wanted to see this and it’s something you can choose to configure in the game. We noticed that when we did this, the game still plays the sound effects for Overdrives, so we’re fixing this.

6. The way that we have captured each car’s distinctive audio is evident here because we’ve disabled the in-game soundtrack music, but we’ve actually just made further improvements to the quality of the audio in the game today (and fixed the backfire so that you can hear it properly on the Audi R8 V10 Plus), so it’s still getting better.

7. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.

8. The reflector lights (cats eyes/snake eyes) on the safety barriers surrounding the track reflect light authentically too. You can see this most clearly at 02:30.

9. Ghost cars (and opponent cars) are all fully realised in the rear-view mirrors, but there’s currently a small glitch that makes them render incorrectly when the sun goes down. This will be improved by launch.

10. The crowds release balloons throughout the race. The balloons should react authentically to the wind and light up correctly at night – and appear less frequently too – but the game is still in development after all.

11. There’s a tiny portal to another dimension (aka a glitch in the world) at 0:32. We’ve fixed it in the game already.

12. The sky is clear of clouds so that you can see the stars twinkling up above. This won’t always be the case; you can choose how clear or cloudy the sky is when you set-up a race and it will be uniquely generated every time. On the occasions when the fog rolls in and you can only see the tips of those mountains in the distance… and the cars in front are casting long shadows towards you as the sun rises or sets on the horizon… and you’re breezing through it all 150mph… it’s utterly sensational!

13. Not only do we model every car in staggering detail inside and out, we go to great lengths with the environments too. Check out the observatory tower at 1:47 and 2:37!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/13/new-driveclub-video-shows-daynight-transition/

RoKKeR

Looks really solid. Lighting really can make or break a game and it looks like they've nailed it here. Wish it didn't mean sacrificing 60fps and having jaggies, bit you can't have everything I suppose.

PS Blog has posted some extra info for the video:

PS Blog said:
13 things we’d like you to know about this video:

1. If you’d like to see a version of the video with significantly higher image quality than shown on YouTube (and a closer representation of how the game looks on PS4), you’ll be able to download the 1080p video online soon.

2. The time of day is accelerated by x60, which is why the video covers from 6pm – 9pm in Chile in just three laps. Accelerating the speed of time is something you can choose to adjust before you race and it’s also why the sunlight disappears so quickly at 1:58. :)

3. Design Director Paul Rustchynksy is the driver. He’s using a Thrustmaster “T80 DRIVECLUB Edition” wheel, which explains why his last lap (in first person racing view) is the fastest.

4. The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development. Optimisations to the visual quality of the game are made every day, so while there are lots of impressive details on show you may also spot some things we’re still working on – like improving the anti-aliasing for certain assets and making sure that nothing pops in to view.

5. We decided to show this time trial event with on-screen display disabled, because lots of people wanted to see this and it’s something you can choose to configure in the game. We noticed that when we did this, the game still plays the sound effects for Overdrives, so we’re fixing this.

6. The way that we have captured each car’s distinctive audio is evident here because we’ve disabled the in-game soundtrack music, but we’ve actually just made further improvements to the quality of the audio in the game today (and fixed the backfire so that you can hear it properly on the Audi R8 V10 Plus), so it’s still getting better.

7. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.

8. The reflector lights (cats eyes/snake eyes) on the safety barriers surrounding the track reflect light authentically too. You can see this most clearly at 02:30.

9. Ghost cars (and opponent cars) are all fully realised in the rear-view mirrors, but there’s currently a small glitch that makes them render incorrectly when the sun goes down. This will be improved by launch.

10. The crowds release balloons throughout the race. The balloons should react authentically to the wind and light up correctly at night – and appear less frequently too – but the game is still in development after all.

11. There’s a tiny portal to another dimension (aka a glitch in the world) at 0:32. We’ve fixed it in the game already.

12. The sky is clear of clouds so that you can see the stars twinkling up above. This won’t always be the case; you can choose how clear or cloudy the sky is when you set-up a race and it will be uniquely generated every time. On the occasions when the fog rolls in and you can only see the tips of those mountains in the distance… and the cars in front are casting long shadows towards you as the sun rises or sets on the horizon… and you’re breezing through it all 150mph… it’s utterly sensational!

They say 13 things, but there's only 12 :)

New DRIVECLUB video shows day/night transition

madmackem

wow lighting is amazing, still some jaggies but aa looks better than gamescom. Wow see the dials reflect on the driver side window. Epic.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
2 things.

1. When are they going to sort out the jaggies.
2. On the youtube vid. I can see something that looks like micro stutter.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
2 things.

1. Aliasing is much better than it was already. Read the blog post, it gives some explanations about the rear aliasing.
2. There are a few dropped frames here and there, and a bit of tearing. It's still a beta, after all.

2 things.

and EmptySpace thought evolution put out that list to silence the people who keep on dismantling every trivial detail in their vids. game is in active development until print.

Will update with 2048 x 1152 video captures.
Edit:

ibq4YpHBpyRdhL.jpg

iGnw8hi51ES9W.jpg

ighyNFK7xsyLF.jpg

iuS1NXQCVepC3.jpg

ibsHL9ZLoz7Pls.jpg

ibgjYOULuMBgwj.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Looks much better than the last video. Glad they were able to fix a lot of the aliasing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Crazy huge improvement on aliasing on road and roadside stuff in general. Still too much aliasing on the back of the car. I honestly wish therewould be some way in engines to tag certain polygon groups and set "supersample this". LIke in their case, they only really need to add AA around the windshield and on top of the spoiler, something around there is only thing you'd notice 99% of the time while playing.

Also, youtube 'original' video is in 2048x1152 resolution. High quality no doubt, but what's with the resolution?

tfur

The lighting is beautiful. It looks like they are addressing the few things I noticed, so that sounds good..

Chaplain

2. There are a few dropped frames here and there, and a bit of tearing. It's still a beta, after all.

That seems kind of strange considering they need to be finished by the 15th (or so) of October to begin certification and have the disc pressed.

nib95

Banned
Cross post from earlier.

There's a lot of things DriveClub does considerably better than the competition, or that other racers (including PC) don't do at all, things that I never even noticed till similar posts to yours started popping up. Overall better lighting, dynamic shadowing even on distant objects that are all self shadowing, texture detail, volumetric smoke (that is even dynamically lit and casts it's own shadows), reflections, refraction's, dynamic global illumination, far more geometric complexity, mass foliage that is fully 3D, physics on foliage and so on.

DriveClub is a big step up technically compared to driving games of the past. It's just the IQ that needs to be sharpened up, and by the looks of it, in that respect the new AA is already looking improved.

Downloading higher quality version now.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Also, youtube 'original' video is in 2048x1152 resolution. High quality no doubt, but what's with the resolution?

Yeah that was the resolution of the 1 GB file Sony sent us too. I've reencoded it to 1080p, that's the version I have online now.
That seems kind of strange considering they need to be finished by the 15th (or so) of October to meet certification and have the disc pressed.

Such optimizations are usually the last things the devs do, especially with launch titles.

jett

D-Member
IQ is a lot better than it used to be, I'd be fine with this, especially since I play racers in first person exclusively. :p

Crazy huge improvement on aliasing on road and roadside stuff in general. Still too much aliasing on the back of the car. I honestly wish therewould be some way in engines to tag certain polygon groups and set "supersample this". LIke in their case, they only really need to add AA around the windshield and on top of the spoiler, something around there is only thing you'd notice 99% of the time while playing.

Standard 2K resolution, I'm guessing it was erroneously encoded at that resolution.

meppi

Loving what I'm seeing.
Pretty sure that I'll be getting this game at launch now.

Many times a racing game falls into the trap of: hey it's night, you're not supposed to see where you are going!
Driveclub seem to strike a great balance between having a night setting that looks absolutely great, yet keeps it very playable, which is an even more important part.
Glad to see this turning out to be one of the top launch games. :)

Jack cw

The attention to detail is incredible and with the options to tunr down the hud and configure time this might become the best next gen racer. Love the progress the game makes. Retail version should be simply amazing.

$h@d0w

Does anyone find the fact that they are pointing out graphical and sound glitches and tiny portals "to another dimension" a really refreshing attitude to demonstrating a game?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Night racing looks fantastic, it really is my bread a butter in driving games, I've said it numerous times before, but sometimes I would just drive around the nurburgring at night in GT5 with some music on, just really enjoyable.

nib95

Banned
Does anyone find the fact that they are pointing out graphical and sound glitches and tiny portals "to another dimension" a really refreshing attitude to demonstrating a game?

Yeap, that blog post is amazing. He actually points out the issues for us and then confirms they will be rectifying them. Including sound issues and the rear aliasing. Some of which is apparently caused by a missing effect.

Racer1977

As cool as the video is, the best thing is the '13' point rundown of how the game is developing, gives a good incite into development.

Whenever the next video is released, I'd like to see one of the slowest class cars, they say they have hot hatches, would be cool to see a FWD car engaging in some bumper to bumper racing.

Where are the other cars? Every video I've seen of this game is just one car driving around. I know there's gonna be performance drops when there's multiple cars. Is that what they're trying to hide by just releasing videos with just a single car?

I can't get my head around the day night transition. The track looks so different at the beginning compared to the end of the video, it looks like a totally different location!!!

These guys are at least showing their game. Meanwhile, I'm literally dying for something, anything, from Forza 5.

Going to check out the video.

VanWinkle

WOW. Watched the Gamersyde video and was really blown away. The only sore spot and I noticed was the aliasing on the car. It really made me think "next-gen" in a way that they other videos didn't quite do (due to their image quality).

Top Bottom