• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more hardware NPD data for the public

Tabris said:
I want to! :(
I'm sorry my sweet prince, but you posted in the MC thread in a week where I hadn't gotten my Tabris license since I was in Toronto. Now the nice mod lady won't sell me anymore Tabris licenses cuz you had an accident on the rug.

xbhaskarx

Segata Sanshiro said:
That's for some people to know, and other people to get banned for revealing.

But if the websites that display detailed NPD data are banned as part of a deal between GAF and NPD, and NPD no longer providing that date to the public (essentially breaking the deal), why does it matter anymore?

Hammer24

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Now the nice mod lady won't sell me anymore Tabris licenses cuz you had an accident on the rug.

Its probably safe to assume he´d have another of this accidents when seeing the HW numbers for the week. :D

xbhaskarx said:
But if the websites that display detailed NPD data are banned as part of a deal between GAF and NPD, and NPD no longer providing that date to the public (essentially breaking the deal), why does it matter anymore?
Because unfortunately GAF is not in a position to re-negotiate that deal.

NPD altered the deal. Pray they don't alter it further.

JKBii

xbhaskarx said:
It's wasn't a deal. It was the NPD telling GAF to cease and desist and then being kind and offering some data on the side. They can decide not to be charitable and if GAF decided to spread leaked data after being asked not to then whoever runs this site can be sued.

Still, I hope the NPD guys change their minds about this.

Dear David Riley,

Please bring back NPD numbers monthly. If you don't then that gives people who are untrustworthy to spin numbers that aren't true. NPD kind of keeps these bad people in check. A lot of people claim to know how well a system is selling, but I only trust NPD's numbers because they are more reliable and aren't biased. So please, let us see monthly hardware numbers.

Thank you,

PS My last name is Riley so we might be cousins

Jirotrom

Tabris said:
You've played SMG already or you just assuming that? cause NSMB was pretty damn awesome.
I've played up to 37 stars at this point.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Is selling worse than Mario Sunshine bad?

Join the Media-Create Fun Club Thread today!
whats mario sunshine have to do with this? serious question not some smart ass remark.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Europe is harder to speak for, but this isn't true of US sales, Japanese sales, or worldwide shipments.

Is this chart inaccurate then?

p33.gif
?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2002/nintendos_numbers_the_state_of_.php?page=9

I know that the 360 has made significant grounds in Japan, but was under the impression was doing slower growth elsewhere.

I don't count worldwide shipments, MS significantly overproduced to meet their 10 million shipped targets.

Saitou

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Dear David Riley,

Please bring back NPD numbers monthly. If you don't then that gives people who are untrustworthy to spin numbers that aren't true. NPD kind of keeps these bad people in check. A lot of people claim to know how well a system is selling, but I only trust NPD's numbers because they are more reliable and aren't biased. So please, let us see monthly hardware numbers.

Thank you,

PS My last name is Riley so we might be cousins
o riley?

Jirotrom said:
whats mario sunshine have to do with this? serious question not some smart ass remark.
It's the immediately preceding installment in the series. Its first week was higher than Super Mario Galaxy's in spite of being on a console with a userbase of nearly half the Wii's.

Scotch

MrNyarlathotep said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/feature/2002/p33.gif?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2002/nintendos_numbers_the_state_of_.php?page=9

I know that the 360 has made significant grounds in Japan, but was under the impression was doing slower growth elsewhere.

I don't count worldwide shipments, MS significantly overproduced to meet their 10 million shipped targets.
That chart only shows the first 11 months. The 360 is tracking ahead of the original Xbox in North America for a while now.

Jirotrom

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's the immediately preceding installment in the series. Its first week was higher than Super Mario Galaxy's in spite of being on a console with a userbase of nearly half the Wii's.
ah, well that just goes to aid my point, Galaxy was my final test, portables now officially reign supreme, for me at least. BTW, I don't hate portables, I've just been waiting to see how galaxy would sell.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Nope. As of 11 months, Xbox 360 was behind Xbox in the US. However, as of the September numbers X360 is up to month 22, and in that time they've gone ahead. Comparing each individual month X360 has almost always come out ahead, except for the initial launch months of extreme shortage. That much you can see in the chart looking at the slopes.

xbhaskarx

MrNyarlathotep said:

"That orange line at the bottom, right under the GameCube, is the PlayStation 3's hardware sales."

Ouch!
So after 11 months the difference between the 360 and PS3 is only slightly less than the difference between the PS2 and Xbox?

Arsenal

xbhaskarx said:

Thats a question only GAF can answer - I don't make the rules here, I just play by them. But the .biz article was correct with respect to the number and quality of the leaks being reduced dramatically when the NPD was supplying the media with basic data each month. Its much easier for any site to publish the official numbers than try to make sense of leaked data from an unconfirmed source (and risk the NPD's lawyers). This is the internet though - information has a way of getting around and published in a thousand places. If we go back to the "dark ages", that information void will be filled - probably either by leaks or Ioi. Neither of those situations benefit the NPD in any way I can see, and I don't think they benefit us either.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
So, if Microsoft were to say they sold X amount of units in the press release, they will do so, right? If that is the case, I fully expect Microsoft to continue beating their chest and we will indirectly receive PS3 numbers by Microsoft saying they outsold the PS3 3:1 or 4:1, like they did last month.

cilonen

MrNyarlathotep said:
I know that the 360 has made significant grounds in Japan, but was under the impression was doing slower growth elsewhere

Errr... It hasn't to the point that MS effectively admitted defeat and were switching focus to Europe.

Scotch

I think he means it sells... less abysmal than the Xbox in Japan. Hell, 360 has likely outsold the PS3 this week. It will have beaten the Xbox LTD in a couple of months.

TheWolf

Banned
Not to Worry: NPD Numbers Still Coming
No more free rides.
by Daemon Hatfield

November 7, 2007 - Yesterday the internet exploded with the news that the NPD Group would no longer be releasing monthly videogame sales data to the media. While it initially looked like the world may be at peace without sales data to fuel fanboy battles, the console wars will (for better or worse) be continuing.

The NPD Group is only halting the free data it gives out to general media. Outlets that pay for the data, like IGN, will continue to receive monthly sales figures. NPD told us it was a business decision to protect the research firm's interests.

So, not to worry. You can still look forward to monthly console wars here on IGN.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/833/833375p1.html

so can we still talk about em.

cilonen

JoshuaJSlone said:
As far as Famitsu is concerned, it basically has happened. As of the week of 2007-10-15, Famitsu has X360 2K behind Xbox, so the next update tomorrow night should do it.

I don't think that's quite what they were aiming for.

Sept 05

"The Japanese market is the most important key for the Xbox's global strategy. Microsoft is committing fully to its success in Japan," said Yoshihiro Maruyama, general manager of the Xbox Division in Japan.

To Sept 07

Speaking to news agency Bloomberg, Microsoft boss Aaron Greenberg explained: "The number one objective is to win on a global basis and that may mean winning some markets and losing others. Europe is our priority focus right now."

"After two years on the market, Xbox's position in the country is such that it makes you wonder whether further efforts are even worth it," Hiroshi Kamide of KBC Securities added.

That's not 'significant grounds' by any measure.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't get this, exactly. IGN may get the numbers since they pay for them, but isn't this whole issue that NPD doesn't want anyone that's not MS, Nintendo or Sony to disclose any info?

LukeSmith

TheWolf said:
um, i would assume. they paid for them.

Ziff Davis paid for them as well, but their advertising/marketing group had them, and we were still not allowed to publish them. It's a pretty grey area and it will be interesting to see if IGN does publish the numbers. According to other interviews with David Riley, that information just simply isn't being sent out as a part of the spreadsheet.

Enk

makes good threads.
I'm sure at some point the numbers will leak. It's the wild, crazy world of the internet and there's always a busted pipe to siphon off of somewhere.

Elios83 said:
Well IGN in the meantime has posted the LTD for all the next gen consoles by NPD:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/833/833429p1.html

[ig]http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/833/833427/2007-monthly-hardware-sales-20071107114929886.jpg[/ig]

Anyone else find those numbers a bit off? I have the following.

360 = 6,757,435
Wii = 4,519,015
PS3 = 1,960,074

I'd say they'd included Canadian figures, but even then it wouldn't add up, unless the Wii has outsold the 360's LTD.

edit: Oh wait, I think emarketer has estimated October results as well, given the "Feb-Oct 2007" disclaimer at the bottom.

Top Bottom