• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Given that KZ on PS4 looks so much better then Battlefield 4. Why is the PS4 resolution so low and why is the framerate so poor?
The framerate isn't poor. It's faster than Killzone.

I don't think there is a simple answer to this as both games are very complex.

jaosobno

Kosma

Banned
If they add AO in the day one patch on Xbone I wonder how much FPS hit that version will take since apparently they don't want to show it now.

GodofWine

Honestly I think both look OK, but graphics of a single game aside, the results of the pixels and frames only speaks towards the power advantage of the PS4.

I dont think they show too well in this case (I do need to see better video, and not this DF 'we didn't do it right' bullshit though).

If a YTer is getting better video, why do we have DF? Stand for something, or sit down. I dont care what looks better, but dont give me the amateur we didn't capture it right line

..contract...brightness...sharpness...use it MFer :)

any way, looks fun, be there day one....preorder NOT canceled.

Synless

They only do because DF screwed up the capture.

Why are shitty messed up captures in the OP then? I know that they are messed up, I am just curious with all the people coming in here only looking at those screens and not reading anything else.

Could Anyone tell me what AO is?

It's to create "depth" between objects - like the corner of a room where the floor and two walls would meet, for exmaple.

Personally, i turn it off in most games as it looks tacky (as it does in BF4) and isn't at all competitive for multiplayer games.

Yes, it would be.

Ruining images by cutting off entire parts of the color spectrum and scaling with a sharpness setting which introduces heavy ringing is not an advantage.

that's not what he said though?
You're talking about the xbone version having sharpening, he's talking about the ps4 version being blurry

they are both shit in their own unique special way :p for unique and different reasons

it's the thin leper vs the obese young man
lepracy is still bad and there is no point comparing it to the fat guy.

the lessons people should be taking here are:
-there is no fix for scaling blur, the only way to deal with is to avoid it by making sure you don't have to scale, sharpening only adds another problem on top of it
-there is no shortcut to fixing aliasing, to reduce jaggies and pixel crawling and shimmering you need more pixel samples , post process blur filters only add another problem on top of them and do nothing to relieve temporal aliasing like shimmering and moiree (look at the far away stairs in one of the pictures to see what moiree is, and look the power lines to see shimmering) anyway

You go native res or you go home, and you use real AA or you use none at all.

Delt31

Done (would appreciate if someone can host it elsewhere though):

http://i.minus.com/i3UK6taw6TdXD.png

In comparison Xbone's:

http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/6/6/BF4_XO_005.bmp.jpg

I am one of those that like the sharpened xbone look but after looking at this post (which sharpens the ps4) I can tell the ps4 is better which matches the tech specs. QUESTION IS - how do I get that look when playing the game on PS4? Is it just a matter of tv settings? Currently (or at least on this thread) the PS4 compare pics are blurrier and don't POP as much as XBONE but your updated pics def do (for PS4 - pop, etc)

Could Anyone tell me what AO is?

ambient occlusion. Shadowing an object next to another object basically.

You can see it here on the ps4 version. the shadow of the mirror

ib0gOrDzD8ScKG.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It really doesn't look all that much better, and the framerate is higher than Killzone's 30 FPS on single player.
Again, Killzone is not 30 fps in single player (though I wish it were). It's unlocked and generally runs faster than 30 fps.

Yes, it would be.

Ruining images by cutting off entire parts of the color spectrum and scaling with a sharpness setting which introduces heavy ringing is not an advantage.

You missed my point.
I was saying that the aggressive post-processing on the PS4 version (making it blurry) is as much a problem to me as is the over-saturated sharpness of the Xbone version to most people in this thread. But apparently I'm a 'dirty casual' and a 'sycophant' for making that known. The blurriness is a big disadvantage for me, and that is an issue that's not related to how the Xbone version looks.

RetroStu

Banned
I have literaly just got up and have not read a single post on here or anyones views and i am half way through the 'Videogamer' comparison vid and the Xbox One version looks miles better, what the hell?.

Samyy

Am I to understand that DF doctored the screenshots in order to make XO version more appealing? Or am I getting something wrong?

How else would you explain version containing 50% more pixels as looking worse (in DF shots) than 720p version?

Higher contrast and darker image to hide the faults, technically you can do that at home if you want by adjusting your TV settings I suppose, but its not going yo look like that out of the box and you could do that for either version

FranXico

Am I to understand that DF doctored the screenshots in order to make XO version more appealing? Or am I getting something wrong?

How else would you explain version containing 50% more pixels as looking worse (in DF shots) than 720p version?

IMO it wasn't intentional. They already had their capture settings optimized for the X1, and then didn't have enough time to tune them again for the PS4.

It was all due to the rush to get the material up.

schuey7

AO is gonna be in the final game

5Y6IM82.png

One less thing for people to quibble about.Anyway both versions seem unfinished and the final code will look better so we should wait till then.I feel that if anyone has only an XBO then this is a pretty good port and if one has the option get the PS4 or better the Pc version.

Goldmund

Some people's "loyalty" is downright villainous and self-destructive, it's almost political. I guess some people like the color of their blood so much, they have to cut themselves if others don't. I don't think anyone should stand around in their blood, they'll think we're murderers.

bGanci

Banned
I know not everyone agrees with everyone here but i would like to say there are a ton of intelligent people here and personally can learn a lot.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
No anti-aliasing and a lot of sharpening on the xbone version.

For two reasons:
- The XB1 version is post-sharpened, or upscaled using a badly configured scaling algorithm, resulting in those terrible edge-haloing and ringing artifacts everywhere.
- The PS4 version uses a more aggressive post-AA solution.

Thank you, guys.

I believe, the Digital Foundry images and video seem to have been captured with limited RGB colour depth, which increases the contrast. Some sort of sharpening seems to also have been applied during the capture process(?)

It's similar to why when you go to a store all the TVs are set to like maximum contrast and sharpness.

That doesn't mean that there won't be blur in the PS4 version, it's 900p being upscaled with FXAA as noted above.

High and low contrast, this is something you can do on your TV with every game you own.

http://solutionpartners.adobe.com/d...rticles/concept_contrast/concept_contrast.jpg

http://www.atpm.com/9.07/images/design-contrast_examples.gif

Most of Digital Foundry footage has this difference, the IGN stuff does not.

As for which is better, its really up to the user to decide and set their TV or monitor accordingly. High contrast means that every color is on "steroids" ie. red is more red, yellow is more yellow, black is more black. If you look at the Xbox One DF shots everything is in high contrast

Hmm. What about the factors mentioned by the other posters here? Or do you mean that the differences are blown-up because of contrast settings in the capture device?

watch the video. even with the poor quality you can see things like motion blur missing and bad aliasing.

Agreed. My point is that it's an extremely poor representation of the X1's capabilities in BF4because of the amazingly poor source footage it came from and it's being used by certain console warriors to paint a false picture of BF4 on Xbone.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why are shitty messed up captures in the OP then? I know that they are messed up, I am just curious with all the people coming in here only looking at those screens and not reading anything else.

Because thats the content of the thread (DF comparison), but I agree its doing a disservice to all those people wandering in here and getting the false idea about this difference.

jaosobno

Higher contrast and darker image to hide the faults, technically you can do that at home if you want by adjusting your TV settings I suppose, but its not going yo look like that out of the box and you could do that for either version

Nice. DF is full of shit. And to think I used to respect their tech analysis...

Ok i know jaggies will be more obvious to me on a big screen but if I was an average consumer I would say the Xbox one footage looks quite a bit more appealing lol.

TUROK

Again, Killzone is not 30 fps in single player (though I wish it were). It's unlocked and generally runs faster than 30 fps.
Ah, I didn't know. Last I heard was that it was 30 for SP and 60 for MP. Didn't Guerilla specifically state this before? Not that I'm doubting your claim, just curious as to who said it.

Pug

Some people's "loyalty" is downright villainous and self-destructive, it's almost political. I guess some people like the color of their blood so much, they have to cut themselves if others don't. I don't think anyone should stand around in their blood, they'll think we're murderers.

LOL

Hope none of you guys in the Microsoft side of the court are planning on buying BF4 on Xbone, because it sounds like some of you may need to stay away from sharp objects for a while ;D

Olympic level mental gymnastics going on from some here.

Durante

that's not what he said though?
You're talking about the xbone version having sharpening, he's talking about the ps4 version being blurry
I disagree with the choice of words, throughout this thread really.

The only useful definition of sharpness as it relates to game IQ comparisons is the representation of source detail in the final image. By that metric, the PS4 version is sharper than the XB1 version -- despite the latter having ridiculously blown out edge contrast -- simply because of its significantly higher sample density.

Of course, the PC version is far sharper than either one of them.

(This definition of sharpness is the only useful one because it prevents an image getting more sharp when you increase the "sharpness" setting on your TV)

Top Bottom