• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's best film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo

Didn't even know Dawn of the Dead was his first movie...Kinda surprised that I saw all of his movies.

Legend of the Guardians is his overall best movie I suppose.
Sucker Punch the worst.
Watchmen was OK the first time I saw it (read the graphic novel) but seems to be getting worse each time I watch it.
300 oozed coolness back in the day, however I seldom rewatch it.
Dawn of the Dead is forgettable at best.

And Man of Steel had so much potential but couldn't provide anything.

Mr. Sam

Not a huge Zack Snyder fan - like, at all - but that doesn't exactly make me a unique snowflake.

Watchmen was a film I didn't find offensive, being someone that never particularly cared for the source material anyway.

Man of Steel I liked, and was shocked to find I liked. Snyder, Goyer and Nolan all aboard one ship seemed like a recipe for disaster but I found it confoundingly good. The action scenes, frankly, are how I think two superpowered beings having fisticuffs should look.

So... Man of Steel. Comfortably.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
In this order

-Dawn of the Dead
-Watchmen
-Sucker Punch
-That owl movie
-His car commercials
-Man of Steel

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Watchmen - director's cut of course
Dawn of the Dead
Man of Steel
Suckerpunch

I've never seen Legend of the Guardians.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I have only seen 300, Watchmen and Man of Steel from that list. And that is the order in which I would rank them.

Dawn of the Dead, no doubt about it. I fucking loved it. Ty Burrell's character especially, since he pointed out how dumb everyone else's decisions were. Also, I could watch slow motion shots of shotgun shells ejecting all day long.

I've only seen two of his movies completely: Watchmen and Man of Steel.

Watchmen is the better movie, but also the greater offense to me. As someone else said, Snyder clearly didn't understand the source material. No matter how good some sequences are (Dr. Manhattan's origin) he clearly had no idea what all was actually important about the comic (that these were largely normal human beings without superpowers [why are they jumping 30 feet in the air and breaking people's bones so they pop through the skin], that the guy Rorshach killed at the start of his career should have never admitted to the murders [Rorshach just took matters into his own hands and burned him alive--not knowing for sure if he had the right man], and the worst out of all of them: Having laurie tell the nightowl "you know what John would say, nothing ends" [seriously? was it that hard to have a final scene between Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandius? That conversation is the point of Ozymandias's actions and Ozymandias never hears the man who sees all time say it. In fact, the audience never see that man see it either. Laurie is no authority on the matter.]

Man of Steel, on the other hand, is just an over-long, unfun movie that had both too much and not enough going on. There were a lot of bad ideas at the script level and a lot of bad ideas from Snyder's level. Or maybe "bad ideas" isn't fair. They just didn't execute the new ideas with anything that interesting. It's the definition of a "don't turn your brain on movie"; even Pacific Rim had more thought put into it, and that was just a giant excuse to have robots punch monsters in the face.

So . . . in a vacuum, MoS is worse.

But knowing how much Snyder missed about the core of Watchmen . . . Watchmen is probably the greater offense, even if it's a better movie overall.

So both. I'm going with both are his worst.

Grisby

1. Dawn of the Dead
XRvwLaP.jpg

4. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Ua0t8Va.jpg
I like these two the best, along with 300 and Watchmen.

Dawn of the Dead was so much fun to see in theaters and he hasn't replicated that feeling for me since. Just pure entertainment.

Guardians is probably one of the most beautifully animated movies ever. The thing is stunning on bluray and owls flying around killing each other with metal claws works for some good moments.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Watchmen
Dawn of the Dead
Man of Steel
Sucker Punch

I haven't seen the owl movie, but generally I am a fan of Zack Snyder. I'll never understand all the shit he gets. It seems like people blame every issue, including script issues on him. As far as I know the only script he can take credit for was Sucker Punch, which imo was a piece of shit, and shows he should probably stay far the fuck away from writing. In terms of directing, and especially shooting action, I really don't think any contemporary is better.

Personally I'd say Watchmen is the best comic movie ever made. Dawn, is easily a top ten zombie movie. Man of Steel was disappointing, but not because of Snyder, the script let him down on that one. I loved the fights in Man of Steel. 300 was great, but it doesn't really hold up on repeat viewings for me. Sucker Punch is just a piece of shit. Full of beautifully designed set pieces, but a piece of shit none the less.

Watchmen and Sucker Punch are my favorite Snyder films overall, with 300, Owls and Man of Steel together as just fun pieces of cinema. Dawn was great when I saw it in theaters, but it's probably my least favorite of his films.

I'm actually a fan, the only one of his movies I didn't like was that Owl's movie. My nephews were restless watching it too, so it's not even got the excuse that it's a kids movie.

Dawn of the Dead is still his best though. It's not a better movie than the original, but it's a much better Zombie movie. Sucker Punch get's too much hate. It's a fun fluff movie that doesn't take itself seriously. Not every movie has to revolutionize the medium.

Truant

I want a version of Watchmen without the fight scenes.

1. Dawn of the Dead
2. Watchmen
3. 300
4. Man of Steel
5. Owl thing
6. Sucker Punch

GorillaJu

After you've decided, I have a selection of poop samples you should look at. If you can discern which of these movies is "best," then I'm sure you'll have an expert opinion on other pieces of shit.

paul187

Watchmen Directors Cut. The problems I have with that movie are with some of the performances. Which can be blamed on Synder too.

Synder needs to be an action scene director only. Let someone else direct every other scene.

Fezan

1- Watchmen 9/10
2-300 & dawn of the dead 8.5/10
3-MOS 8.0/10
4-Owl movie 6.0/10
.100- Sucker punch -5/10
101- Superman returns -10/10

I really like Watchmen but the problem is: It is a bad movie, far too long, the acting is atrocious at times. The only reason why I like it so much is because of the source material and because I'm a TV Nerd, so even the 3,5hr Ultimate Cut is nothing compared to the amount of episodes I can watch back to back.

Raiden

Banned
I love Snyder screw the haters.

Have seen 300 and Watchmen multiple times, amazing sense of stylish action that does not get boring.

I usually hate action flicks, i seriously get annoyed by big explosions and standard shooting. But the fights in Watchmen, 300 and Man of Steel .. i love it.

I want a version of Watchmen without the fight scenes.

1. Dawn of the Dead
2. Watchmen
3. 300
4. Man of Steel
5. Owl thing
6. Sucker Punch

I would probably go with this order. Haven't seen the Owl movie though.

There would be a huge gap between 3 and 4 on my list though. Man of Steel and Sucker Punch are terrible.

barrbarr

In my opinion his best films are in this order

Watchmen (directors cut)
Dawn of the Dead
Man of Steel
Sucker Punch

Never saw: Legends of the Guardians

I have to say that Zack Snyder is probably one of my favorite directors. I even consider my least favorite film of his to be pretty good.

Vyer

Snyder is a great director when it comes to visuals. 300 was ideal for his sytle. I haven't seen where he's really capable of taking heavier themes or plot points or character progression and flesh it out to it's full potential. Man of Steel in particular suffers from this.

That's why 300 works so well. Characters and their motivations are fairly straightforward and there's not a lot of depth that needs to be coaxed out.

D-Stubbs

I've always enjoyed Snyder's movies. Well, besides Sucker Punch. Anyway my lsit would probably go as...

- Dawn of the Dead
- Watchmen
- Man of Steel
- Owl Movie
- Sucker Punch

Dawn of the Dead was really good and is easily the best of the Snyder films I've seen. The story was paced well despite much of it taking place in that mall.

It may have just been because of it's format (feature length film), but the survivors actually got a chance to be badass and seem competent. That's a contrast to The Walking Dead show where characters just act in unbelievably stupid ways and the main group just experiences failure after failure. The latter has to stretch out the story over however many episodes, so that may be part of the reason, but still. Some of the cast did stupid things, but nothing that took me out of the movie. They were all just average everyday people thrust into this situation.

Watchmen was so close to the graphic novel content-wise that it ranks high too. Some of the changes to the ending were worse than in the comic, though not enough to make it an awful adaptation.

300 was just some stuff. the "this is sparta" line was cooler in the graphic novel because it didn't have the "madness?" part, didn't have any hesitation and it wasn't screamed.

haven't seen Sucker Punch, Owlman or MoS

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I didn't think enough time had elapsed for the internet's turn around on watchmen to have begun, interesting. For years people shit all over it and now people want to spank it on the ass and have babies with it.

300 is probably my number 1, I hadn't really ever seen anything like it before stylistically. It felt unique and interesting and fun. Great movie theater experience.
Man of Steel was highly entertaining even though I'm apparently the only one in the world that thinks so.
DOD was way more enjoyable than I expected it to be since it was before the zombie craze and it felt fresh at the time.

Never saw owls or sucker punch.

Watchmen just dragged on and on and ooooooooooon. There were parts of that movie that were very enjoyable and entertaining. But the overall movie was just a chore to watch.

so 300>MOS>DOD>Watchmen

I really like Watchmen but the problem is: It is a bad movie, far too long, the acting is atrocious at times. The only reason why I like it so much is because of the source material and because I'm a TV Nerd, so even the 3,5hr Ultimate Cut is nothing compared to the amount of episodes I can watch back to back.

What did the Ultimate cut add? I hope it took out that god awful sex scene.

Now that MoS Bluray/DVD is out and after rewatching it for a couple times, here is how I would ranked Snyder's film:

Watchmen>300>MoS=Sucker Punch

I have not fully finish DotD and the Owl movie yet, so I decided to keep those 2 out of the list. The problem of Man of Steel and Sucker Punch is that they tried to be more than what they are. They were overhyped and didn't delivered. That said, I enjoy them both.

dead's my homeboy. almost 1:1 taste with the dude. but zack snyder...this is something i can't agree on in good conscience.

i feel like he has great moments but no great movies. his best overall might be watchmen though.

edit: he makes good screencaps though.

Some choice shots from Man of Steel. Screen grabs from the Blu-Ray. Dude has a knack for pop culture iconography that very few others share.

It destroys me inside that David S Goyer is writing Superman vs Batman. He cockblocked fans out of a good modern Superman movie once and he's about to do it again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Watchmen is totally his best film. I was impressed with how well he transformed Watchmen, the "unfilmable comic" into a movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
dead's my homeboy. almost 1:1 taste with the dude. but zack snyder...this is something i can't agree on in good conscience.

i feel like he has great moments but no great movies. his best overall might be watchmen though.

edit: he makes good screencaps though.
I used to hate him too

Dunno what happened lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom