• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome combat vidoc and singleplayer footage

Stream was good and they hinted at perhaps competitive gladiator mode.
Which might also be some kind of score race instead of proper pvp mode knowing crytek.

Loved it. Day one for sure. I just don't understand all the negativity. People trying to hard to find something wrong. Look at the elbow, look at the animations. Like am supposed to pause every frame when I play this game . people forget that things in motion are not the same as not. I can also find some fucked up things in every game, lucky am not possessed by those things cuz I know in my mind its just a game , not real life. And every game has its flaws.

A game is built for enjoyment.

while I enjoy every game, you guys keep looking for flaws.

Most people is not complaining about how the game looks visually. It looks gorgeous.

The thing people complain about is how boring the gameplay looks. And a lot of us care more how the game plays compared to how good it looks.

And you never experienced bad games? You can´t have played much in your life.

Al13n

Neo Member
Man, this is going to be so good.. The atmosphere alone is reason enough to buy this game. Only two more weeks guys!

God this game is gorgeous.

The gameplay looks alright, but I'm definitely picking up a copy solely for the visuals. I hope they release a PC version shortly after the Xbone release.

12.gif

to this :

Cut-scene and gameplay aren't the same in quality.

Wrong. I raise you this awesome post that proves you're wrong. :p

lol......

Story Trailer:
i6NLoQkPJREl3.png

Realtime Gameplay:
iZdPMTXvIdm3w.png

Story Trailer:
iuoNaYsi2BM5.png

i3SRdXWCytDYU.png

Realtime Gameplay:
ibhVlFI1WEMnyd.png

iX1GYRwQtm96f.png

ibb04UEn2p1uGQ.png

Wat downgrade?

This combat is supposed to look "bad"? Talking specifically about the GT footage in OP. Not seeing the bad animations either.

The combat really doesn't look bad at all. I can see it being attacked as looking repetitive, but even then I don't quite believe that's the whole story, and I'm certainly going to enjoy playing this game a lot.

Awesome looking game! Can't wait to buy the console when they decide to sell it without the camera for cheaper price.

Never gonna happen... why even bother posting this over and over again?

Anyway... combat looks quite good... bit amazed most previews are not so positive.

There are 4 difficulty levels that I could see. The guys playing chose the second difficulty level from what I could see. There are 2 more harder levels than what these guys are playing currently.

They said they chose this difficulty, because people don't want to see him dying left and right.

It's not difficult to see. If you have little or no interest at all in the game, nothing is going to change your mind. However, for those genuinely looking forward to playing it, and who are actually buying an Xbox One, this game looks like a great game to pick up at launch alongside Dead Rising 3 and Forza, and anything else that catches your fancy.

Maybe it isn't difficult to see, but it's ridiculous that's the case. Too many people are caught up in the consoles and resolutions to give a damn about the games.

It looks fun and has come a ways since when we've last seen it. Sure, hack and slash games don't appeal to everyone, but neither do racing games or games like Dark Souls.

ironcreed

Banned
Too many people are caught up in the consoles and resolutions to give a damn about the games.

A-fucking-men. It was entertaining for awhile, but now it is just annoying. Yes, the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One, but the Xbox One is still a huge leap over the 360 and it is going to have some amazing games. Both systems will, and that is where the focus should be. Not on all of this spec and system war nonsense. All I care about are the games and am looking forward to eventually owning both systems.

abadguy

Banned
10650407696_e467bea6ca_o.gif

It looks perfectly fine for a hack n' slash game, but the slow motion moves actually look great.

LOL, loving that Gif.

Maybe it isn't difficult to see, but it's ridiculous that's the case. Too many people are caught up in the consoles and resolutions to give a damn about the games.

A-fucking-men. It was entertaining for awhile, but now it is just annoying. Yes, the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One, but the Xbox One is still a huge leap over the 360 and it is going to have some amazing games. Both systems will, and that is where the focus should be. Not on all of this spec and system war nonsense. All I care about are the games and am looking forward to eventually owning both systems.

Sorry guys but such logic has no place in a console war!

Game looks ten times better than at E3. Combat looks improved as well. Will see what reviewers say for the final code, but looks promising.

IRQ

Banned
Most people is not complaining about how the game looks visually. It looks gorgeous.

The thing people complain about is how boring the gameplay looks. And a lot of us care more how the game plays compared to how good it looks.

And you never experienced bad games? You can´t have played much in your life.

please dude. People are complaining about everything. Even how the elbows looks. So low has the gaming community sunk.

The game play looks alot like Batman. Which I really enjoyed and loved, so no problem here for me :)

well, I have played games since 1987 back when I was 5. I have experienced lots of games and most of them I did enjoy. There are of course bad games here and there. Just like there are bad songs or movies. Nothing is perfect and nothing will be. Bottom line is games are to have fun and enjoyment. Not to discuss elbows and hair. That's not how we determined good games from bad games.

please dude. People are complaining about everything. Even how the elbows looks. So low has the gaming community sunk.

The game play looks alot like Batman. Which I really enjoyed and loved, so no problem here for me :)

well, I have played games since 1987 back when I was 5. I have experienced lots of games and most of them I did enjoy. There are of course bad games here and there. Just like there are bad songs or movies. Nothing is perfect and nothing will be. Bottom line is games are to have fun and enjoyment. Not to discuss elbows and hair. That's not how we determined good games from bad games.

That is not what the majority of the coplaints are about however.

I really enjoyed batman too but that game is open world, lets you approach enemies in different ways, have a lot of gadgets for you to use, more diversity in enemies just to name a few differences. Ryse is a corridor game, you run forward kill 4 enmies run forward repeat from what i have seen and you only get to use a shield and sword through the entire campaign.

Yes you can get spears but watching the live stream and how he just stood there looked at an enemy released and doing the same thing like 20 times even made the gameplay look more off putting...

And strongly belive the amount of fun you have with games is based on the gameplay and this game in my opinion lacks that in so many ways.

That is not what the majority of the coplaints are about however.

I really enjoyed batman too but that game is open world, lets you approach enemies in different ways, have a lot of gadgets for you to use, more diversity in enemies just to name a few differences. Ryse is a corridor game, you run forward kill 4 enmies run forward repeat from what i have seen and you only get to use a shield and sword through the entire campaign.

Yes you can get spears but watching the live stream and how he just stood there looked at an enemy released and doing the same thing like 20 times even made the gameplay look more off putting...

And strongly belive the amount of fun you have with games is based on the gameplay and this game in my opinion lacks that in so many ways.

Batman also starts off with simpler, much more straightforward enemies before it introduces the tougher ones that force you to approach things a bit differently. There are a decent number of different enemy types in Ryse, and apparently there's also quite a few that still haven't been shown according to what was said in the stream today.

These varying enemy types have to be approached in a number of different ways, because quite a few of them seem to bring some interesting abilities to the table that requires the player to not only attack in different ways, but defend in different ways also. There are even some that can only be defended against effectively when your counter is a perfect counter, otherwise you just get knocked around, which is what I think happens with the bigger, stronger enemies. And enemies have some pretty insane combo abilities. We're talking 4 or 6 hit combinations from some enemy types, some even appearing to mix in regular hits with heavy attacks. I like the enemy variety in the batman games and love the combat to death, never get tired of it, but from what I've seen so far, I think the enemies in Ryse look the more challenging of the two games. I think that holds true for the lowest grunts all the way up to the more challenging enemies.

I don't know what boss fights hold for Ryse, but the developers confirmed that there are indeed boss fights.

Outside of combat, however, Ryse will simply not match Batman's depth. It's impossible. And no matter how open batman is at times, it's combat very much also operates in controlled zones similar to how it works in Ryse. Ryse isn't just some corridor beat em up. Some levels may look that way, but we have evidence of larger, more open playspaces. You aren't always fighting down some corridor. Batman is as big as it is for most of its other elements, not necessarily for the core combat system. Although I think the core combat benefits from providing that variety. Ryse has a lot of good things going for its combat, imo.

Hawk269

It looks fun and has come a ways since when we've last seen it. Sure, hack and slash games don't appeal to everyone, but neither do racing games or games like Dark Souls.

You are right. Too many people are focused on 1080p/60fps and what game is or is not at whatever resolution. The one thing a lot of people have failed to realize is that there is ONLY 1 Launch Disk based game that is 1080p/60fps in both MP and SP and that is Forza 5. For all the out cry of games being at 900p or 720p, out all the titles only 1 is achieving that holy grail of resolution/frame rate.

Ryse looks fantastic and the gameplay looks pretty good as well. Will it get repetitive, who knows, but a lot of games like these end up having some repetition in them. From what I have seen of gameplay, this is day 1 for me. On the Xbox One, I am not sure which game I am going to play first...Ryse or Forza.

Not sure how people can see this and KZ and worry about next gen visuals

Word. KZ is melting faces, and a big part of me feels that isn't even a proper PS4 project. I still feel it's mostly a PS3 game just enhanced for the PS4. I think the next Killzone is going to blow shadowfall away.

adelante

Fuckin wow at the second video. The realistic overcast lighting, coupled with diffused reflections on the ground and the intense background sound effects, makes for a truly next-gen experience. GAWDDAMN.

ironcreed

Banned
You obviously don't understand what hack n'slash is.

I think I do, I have played enough of them. It usually involves running around fighting with swords, hacking and slashing and does not require a great deal of depth. They are just good fun, and that is pretty much what this game qualifies as. But whatever, buddy, lol.

Hawk269

But if You attack that enemy with normal attack he will also die, just not in a pretty way like in execution.
Executions are not shortcuts, they are prettier finishers with some benefits. You can end enemy with one normal hit or by pressing execution button.

===

Download those

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images...ll/Ryse_Palace_BRoll_1080p2997_ST_50Mbps3.mp4
http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images...roll/Ryse_York_BRoll_1080p2997_ST_ 50Mbps.mp4
http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images...roll/Ryse_Glott_BRoll_1080p2997_ST_50Mbps.mp4

====

Awesome shot, dat Marius expression.

You folks need to download these 3 videos. Simply amazing looking and gameplay looks like a lot of fun albeit very brutal!

malfcn

I was thinking about the combat earlier...Sure, having each barbarian wait one at a time may look janky, but what is the real alternative?
At some point, it would just be a blood bath to have 5 men swarm in swinging axes and swords. You'd be more likely to maim your fellow barbarian, so why not wait it out. Take your turn and try not to go in more than 2-3 at a time.

You folks need to download these 3 videos. Simply amazing looking and gameplay looks like a lot of fun albeit very brutal!

It does looks amazing, but I didn't see anything beyond average with the gameplay. Personally, I think it is more challenging to do a hack and slash with a fairly limited skillset against purely human foes. The combat looks very, very easy.

It does looks amazing, but I didn't see anything beyond average with the gameplay. Personally, I think it is more challenging to do a hack and slash with a fairly limited skillset against purely human foes. The combat looks very, very easy.

That's what I continue to believe is misleading about this one. The dev today during the livestream selected the second easiest of 4 difficulty levels today, saying that he didn't go to the highest because he wanted to get through the playthrough without dying all over the place. I continue to believe the level of challenge in this game is being underestimated, but we won't know for sure till we get our hands on it.

I was thinking about the combat earlier...Sure, having each barbarian wait one at a time may look janky, but what is the real alternative?
At some point, it would just be a blood bath to have 5 men swarm in swinging axes and swords. You'd be more likely to maim your fellow barbarian, so why not wait it out. Take your turn and try not to go in more than 2-3 at a time.

There's video evidence that they can swarm 2 or 3 at a time, depending on circumstances, especially when you include archers into the mix. Would love to see hardest difficulty. :)

KKRT00

One of these Days, Crytek will make a game for the game's sake again. Instead of you know like.. market projections or publisher pushes.

Yeah, i think they need to make game they really want to, throw like two studios at it and self found it.

I think publishers and deadlines are screwing them heavily.
I hope that cooperation with Star Citizen team will teach them something about community driven deep high end games.

Top Bottom