• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

hnnnghhh feelin' fine in '99, think ill go be rude to some people on these interwebs & call em a buncha

GUBiuLp.jpg

...oh. okay segas i guess ill be nice then

Ahh, memories.

IrishNinja

Man it's crazy that it will be the 15 year anniversary of the Dreamcast's launch in a couple of weeks.

we better see a thread here for it!
guaranteed to have at least 2-3 "OVERRATED" clowns but fortunately everyone knows they're lyin'

sarcoa

Was at my parents house the other day (doing inventory on my old games boxed up there) and out of nowhere my mom pulled this out of a closet and asked if I still wanted it.

10696290235_f1e40da3c8_z.jpg

I'm not sure if it was all over North America or just the Babbages where I reserved the system, but these came with all Dreamcasts on 9/9/99. I couldn't believe she kept it around.

Was at my parents house the other day (doing inventory on my old games boxed up there) and out of nowhere my mom pulled this out of a closet and asked if I still wanted it.

10696290235_f1e40da3c8_z.jpg

I'm not sure if it was all over North America or just the Babbages where I reserved the system, but these came with all Dreamcasts on 9/9/99. I couldn't believe she kept it around.

That's really neat. I had only seen those launch shirts in black.

IrishNinja

^yeah i too had the black one with the orange swirl, and yeah the ebay ones...something looks slightly off but i can't quite figure out what. bummed that my old roomie took my shirt, but ive still got Sonic 2 Tuesday & Mortal Kombat Monday shirts so i guess that's something

1zoiqu.jpg

2ffigt.jpg

3t5ea6.jpg

49ri12.jpg

5fii7r.jpg

Using Demul 0.582 WIP with the DX11 plugin @ x6 internal resolution and this particular version of SweetFX. It uses film grain and bloom besides some color/curves tweaking.
Config is here (just replace the content of your SweetFX_settings.txt file by mine)

IrishNinja

^gorgeous! might consider for my next playthrough.

anyone have any good places to find the Official Dreamcast Magazine? i know it was short lived but i can't seem to find many of em...don't really need the demo discs as much as the mags!

Fox Mulder

^gorgeous! might consider for my next playthrough.

anyone have any good places to find the Official Dreamcast Magazine? i know it was short lived but i can't seem to find many of em...don't really need the demo discs as much as the mags!

I had every issue, might still be at my parents' house.

but you're right, I just checked ebay and there's nothing on there at all except some demo discs.

IrishNinja

it's crazy right? i felt like it was pretty prevalent in the day too. if you find em over there, lemme know, ill buy or trade for em!

Finally got the emulator working.... so many feels!

Can finally play through Grandia 2 without it looking like ass on my HDTV. And no more ear shattering beep on start up :)

Ah who am I kidding, I'm just going to end up playing Spawn for 50 more hours like I always do when I hook the Dreamcast up haha.

Leynos

Dropped by a local game shop, and picked up an S-video cable, and another controller. Unfortunately, the controller (a Madcatz POS) doesn't work, so I'll take it back and get an official SEGA model. Also picked up my first game: Q*Bert. Don't laugh, my wife picked it. :(

Billy Lee

I'm thinking of getting a Dreamcast so I can play it at my parents' over Christmas. I have two already but they both keep resetting randomly.

petran79

Banned
I got a VGA-audio out cable but unfortunately I get no signal.

I can play only through RF cable. Dreamcast is PAL region.

The DC has also issues with some American and Japanese games and Bleem. When it tries to force 60 hz outputs, game resets or goes in a constant reset loop.

Some DC consoles are very picky. I am not buying an official VGA box because of the price and also because now I am not sure whether it will work at all after this.

Gagaman

Just to note that the poll for the Dreamcast Top 200, which will be revealed on the 27th November, is running for a couple more days (ends Friday), so if you haven't voted for all of the games you liked on the console yet, please do!

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/583935

The article of the top 100 will be at http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/. From the 23rd onwards we may also set up a new poll to try and get any games that have equal votes ordered, so keep an eye out for that.

IrishNinja

maaan the cheapest i can find one of those Agetec arcade sticks for is like $50, before shipping...on ebay that can be nearly double, not even sure about out of state craigslist ads (mine has nothing but people selling DC's with "spindles of games/emulators" of course...), argh

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
the only DC fighter I'd buy a stick for at this point is vf3tb since everything else i care about has been ported. c'mon sega time for a model 3 collection!

the only DC fighter I'd buy a stick for at this point is vf3tb since everything else i care about has been ported. c'mon sega time for a model 3 collection!

I like playing lots of shooting games with the stick too. And in that genre there are few good arcade ports that aren't on any other console like Mars Matrix and Border Down.

IrishNinja

^that's the thing; i don't actually use sticks for fighters so much as lotsa other stuff. sega ages saturn has a lotta classic arcade titles, nevermind puzzles/shmups/etc and i got a rough but good sega stick there for like $15 shipped, wish i could swing something nearly that nice for DC. the Agetec looks great for my purposes but i never see it locally, and shipping from japan means im gonna offer these sellers like $15-20 so i don't expect many takers.

Jcgamer60

Shenmue Dojo has added English Subtitles to the Project Berkley video. We can finally watch it!

Project Berkley English Subtitled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu86tlnFLVE
Project Berkley was what Shenmue was referred to before it was known as Shenmue, you can even see graffiti around Dobuita, particularly near Heartbeats Bar, which reads "Berkley". Included in the special editions of the Japanese Virtua Fighter 3TB Dreamcast games was an extra disc, the Project Berkley disc, which included a sneak look at Shenmue.

It included a video of Yu Suzuki talking about his past works and Shenmue, as well as an FMV for Shenmue and videos of artwork, particularly for Shenhua but also extra characters and the busts that were used for the 3D rendering.

IrishNinja

^awesome! watching this later tonight, i just picked up the "What is Shenmue?" demo disc for like $15 on ebay the other day too, haha. so hyped!

user237

Just to note that the poll for the Dreamcast Top 200, which will be revealed on the 27th November, is running for a couple more days (ends Friday), so if you haven't voted for all of the games you liked on the console yet, please do!

Thanks for running the poll. I voted and found the article interesting.

I enjoyed seeing some of my personal favorites make it into this article after missing the cut in the first edition.

IrishNinja

9u6.JPG

finally got it for a decent price, the quality feels great! can't wait to test it out soon, it's been a long time coming.

i really dig first party sticks for most classic sega systems, even if they're not everyone's favorites - i had the official genesis 3 button power stick since getting my near-launch genny in the day and played everything with it: JRPG's, SHMUPs, beat-em-ups, arcade racers, even platformers sometimes. growing up, the arcades were so big to me that having even a little piece of that felt awesome, and i didn't mind gamepads but they weren't my preference...so an arcadey system like the DC, i was bummed all those years back when this stick was nearly the price of a broadband adapter, so glad to finally have it!

only downside for me is that it lacks turbo options, but i'm with Mark from CGR on this: any controller nearly as big as the system itself is where it's at!

IrishNinja

^ *bro-fist* that makes 2 of us with the LE one! nice work man. i can't wait to see what non-sonic sega ones first4 does next, i like NiGHTs but i dont know if ill pay $100+ for it...

Dave Long

Banned
9u6.JPG

finally got it for a decent price, the quality feels great! can't wait to test it out soon, it's been a long time coming.

i really dig first party sticks for most classic sega systems, even if they're not everyone's favorites - i had the official genesis 3 button power stick since getting my near-launch genny in the day and played everything with it: JRPG's, SHMUPs, beat-em-ups, arcade racers, even platformers sometimes. growing up, the arcades were so big to me that having even a little piece of that felt awesome, and i didn't mind gamepads but they weren't my preference...so an arcadey system like the DC, i was bummed all those years back when this stick was nearly the price of a broadband adapter, so glad to finally have it!

only downside for me is that it lacks turbo options, but i'm with Mark from CGR on this: any controller nearly as big as the system itself is where it's at!
It's a fantastic stick. Well worth the money.

Nikodemos

So, GAF, I've finally picked up one (PAL). I think I overspent a bit, but it came with a 4 Mbit memory card, and those are oddly expensive on ebay/amazon. Need to get a SCART cable and a vib pack next. One thing I've noticed is the stick seems a bit mushy, though since I haven't picked up a controller since 2009, can't tell if it's innate or due to heavy use. Would like a bit more resistance when twiddling it about.

What games should I pick up for it? The guy gave me Sonic Adventure 2, Virtua Striker 2000.1, and a Dreamon (#2) demo disc. Tried them, didn't like them. Not a great fan of those 3rd person action/adventure games (terrible camera angles! didn't realise how awesome fixed isometric is until I started doing the headless chicken in Sonic Adventure 2/Rayman 2 demo). Not particularly attracted to beat-em-ups either, or racing/sports games (yeah, I know that's a lot of the DC portfolio).

mokeyjoe

So, GAF, I've finally picked up one (PAL). I think I overspent a bit, but it came with a 4 Mbit memory card, and those are oddly expensive on ebay/amazon. Need to get a SCART cable and a vib pack next. One thing I've noticed is the stick seems a bit mushy, though since I haven't picked up a controller since 2009, can't tell if it's innate or due to heavy use. Would like a bit more resistance when twiddling it about.

What games should I pick up for it? The guy gave me Sonic Adventure 2, Virtua Striker 2000.1, and a Dreamon (#2) demo disc. Tried them, didn't like them. Not a great fan of those 3rd person action/adventure games (terrible camera angles! didn't realise how awesome fixed isometric is until I started doing the headless chicken in Sonic Adventure 2/Rayman 2 demo). Not particularly attracted to beat-em-ups either, or racing/sports games (yeah, I know that's a lot of the DC portfolio).

So no 3rd person action action games, no fighting games, no sports games, no racing games... uhhh.

Crazy Taxi isn't really racing.
Chu Chu Rocket.

RPGs? There's Skies of Arcadia, Grandia and Shenmue.

Nikodemos

So no 3rd person action games, no fighting games, no sports games, no racing games... uhhh.

Crazy Taxi isn't really racing.
Chu Chu Rocket.

RPGs? There's Skies of Arcadia, Grandia and Shenmue.
Any scrollers? Side, vertical, forward, doesn't really make any difference. I've missed playing a Tyrian or Raptor-like game.

Oh, and can anyone confirm or deny that stick issue? It's kinda gnawing at my mind.

IrishNinja

okay, finally got to spend some time with the agetech stick, and...i'm having some troubles!

stuff that uses the pad (Ikaruga, Capcom vs SNK 2 etc) works great; stuff that uses the analog - Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio etc - aren't moving. how is this supposed to work? is there a way to switch these functions, or is this possibly a region problem (some of my games are US, some are japanese, not sure if that'd matter)? kinda bummed, i really wanna love this stick but im not sure if i can make it work.

Yes Boss!

Not everything works with a stick, if they were designed for analog. Not sure about those specific games, though.

Modern stick now feature a toggle switch that lets you switch from analog to digital.

IrishNinja

yeah, i figured that, but these are pretty popular titles...i wish i could find a list online that says which ones it'd work for & won't

Yes Boss!

yeah, i figured that, but these are pretty popular titles...i wish i could find a list online that says which ones it'd work for & won't

Gotta be out there somewhere. You will find that certain games (like Jet Set, I'd imaging) would not feel right on a stick anyways.

I did notice that back in the last gen certain titles let you switch it in software. I was playing the PS2 port of Galaxy Force II last night and M2 gave me the option to use digital, left analog, or right analog for movement. Maybe some developers did this for DC titles as well?

Top Bottom