• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
harSon said:
Yeah, that certainly seems to be the case :p Hopefully developers, in the near future, are forced to develop real games now that the Wii has established itself as the Next Generation leader.

But devs will always need to make HD next gen games. In that sense the Wii will not take development from HD videogames.

Zzoram

AltogetherAndrews said:
I guess it depends on what "saving" means. I think it will have a big impact on sales, but I also think it will be the only game to have much of an impact. In the US, at least. I don't think there is much chance of Sony ever coming close to catching up to the rest here, but if it can position itself with comfortable sales and increase sales in other parts of the world then that's hardly the catastrophic picture some would paint. In the end, it's more than a one product race, for both MS and Sony.

Sony is the Xbox 1 of this generation, while Wii/360 are splitting up the PS2 65/35.

harSon said:
Heres a rough list of million sellers for all platforms, it's a mix of google searches and rough estimates.

I hadn't realized just how bad Playstation 3 software is really doing. Like all Nintendo products, the majority of top selling software is from their internal studios. And Microsoft is simply the platform of choice for all developers not focusing on the Japanese consumer.

Xbox 360
Code:
[B]First Party:[/B]
1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
3. Project Gotham Racing 3
4. Perfect Dark Zero
5. Forza 2
6. Crackdown
7. Mass Effect (Going to happen)

[B]Third Party:[/B]
8. Oblivion
9. Guitar Hero 2
10.Bioshock
11.Madden NFL 08
12.Saints Row
13.Splinter Cell: Double Agent
14.Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
15.Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
16.Need for Speed: Most Wanted
17.Need for Speed: Carbon
18.Madden 07
19.Lost Planet
20.Dead Rising
21.Call of Duty 2
22.Rainbow Six: Vegas
23.Call of Duty 4
24.Guitar Hero 3
25.Assassins Creed (Close enough)

Nintendo Wii
Code:
[B]First Party[/B]:
1.Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2.Mario Strikers Charged
3.Super Paper Mario
4.Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
5.Mario Party 8
6.Super Mario Galaxy
7.Wii Sports
8.Wii Play
9.Big Brain Academy

10.Resident Evil 4
11.Red Steel (?)
13.Rayman Raving Rabbits (?)

Playstation 3
Code:
1.Resistance: Fall of Man
2.Motor Storm

?

In other words, the 360 is still the best bet for western gamers who game often.

Dahbomb

Surprising good software sales for PS3 in the US. Great SMG sales, great COD4/AC sales as well. 360 dominates software as expected of it. Uncharted not doing that well is disappointing.

Hardware numbers are hardly surprising but PS2 outselling PS3 is still lolzo. PS3 doing decent for itself, at least it's pacing the 360 from last year (even though 360 was 511K last year same time). Wii not selling 1 million+ is surprising to me but that's still quite an impressive number. DS does ridiculous as expected. 360 numbers also expected.

These are good numbers for all 3 companies and shows that this generation is a fairly interesting competition. Next year should be a tighter race for all 3 competitors.

legend166

Meier said:
More like congratulations idiot developers, you just made games that NO ONE CAN RUN and got reamed for it. It would be like selling an Xbox 720 game... 2 or 3 years before it came out and expecting it to do well.

I agree with this.

Also, this may have been posted, but I couldn't be bothered looking through 50 pages or whatever. Anyway, do we have the numbers on the percentages of software sold for each platform? I'd like to see how it matches up to the userbase percentages.

beelzebozo said:
and that's presuming it's going to be a spectacular triple-a game, despite the fact that it's coming from an unproven developer in a genre that is already prolific on all systems. it looks great, but it'd have to squeeze out some magic juju to be a system-saver

I really don't think it has to be spectacular. I'm going to avoid going on another hate rant here, but recent sales record certainly proves that much. All it needs to do is remain easily marketable, as they already have that covered with iconic characters and a unique and dazzling presentation, and it will sell. I'm the last person to place faith in Guerrilla, but this is a certain hit irrespective of consistency and quality.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Piper Az said:
If you are a developer and are making a game right now, it's difficult not to put the 360 as your primary platform due to its dominant lead (installed base) over the PS3. If and when the PS3 catches up with the 360, developers will have more freedom to pick which console to mainly develop for. But, the cold fact of business is that developers would want to make as much money as possible by selling many copies of their games - and the 360, by its installed base and its 3rd party software sales, is king.

If I had to guess, I would say that in a year when everything has basically shaken out it will go like this: Western development will have plenty of 360/PS3 projects with 360 leading or being a timed exclusive. I also expect more quality Wii support, but more in terms of original off beat IP's as opposed to FPS. In Japan I see Wii getting the vast amount of support with PS3 and 360 sharing a few graphics intensive exclusives and never letting Wii gain a real monopoly (specifically SE which seems to have an aversion to the Wii right now).

Sean

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So how does two 3rd party games outsell 2 just as great 1st party games? It has to have something to do with the marketing right?

Ratchet and Uncharted had great marketing.

I open the latest EGM and Uncharted has a four page fold-out ad. Both games had pre-release demos, commercials, internet banners and magazine ads, and had tons of "Making of" /video documentary features released on the internet before the games came out. I'm not sure what else could have been done.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Loudninja said:

Tiny Toon Adventures: Dizzy's Candy Quest, (GBC, 2001)
Rhino Rumble, (GBC, 2002)
Black Belt Challenge, (GBA, 2002)
Invader, (GBA, 2002)

Killzone, (PS2, 2004)
Shellshock: Nam '67, (PS2, XBox, PC, 2004)
Killzone: Liberation, (PSP, 2006)

Games dev'd by GG

---

Thats not the library of a proven developer

tegdf

beelzebozo said:
and that's presuming it's going to be a spectacular triple-a game, despite the fact that it's coming from an unproven developer in a genre that is already prolific on all systems. it looks great, but it'd have to squeeze out some magic juju to be a system-saver

the first Killzone sold 2 million copies I think and the reviews weren't that great, Killzone 2 is gonna sell alot imo even if it sucks

Zzoram

harSon said:
Heres a rough list of million sellers for all platforms, it's a mix of google searches and rough estimates.

Xbox 360
Code:
1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
4. Perfect Dark Zero
5. Forza 2
6. Crackdown
7. Mass Effect

8. Oblivion
9. Guitar Hero 2
10.Bioshock
11.Madden NFL 08
12.Saints Row
18.Madden 07
19.Lost Planet
20.Dead Rising
21.Call of Duty 2
23.Call of Duty 4
24.Guitar Hero 3
25.Assassins Creed
26.Dead or Alive 4
27.Fight Night Round 3
28.Call of Duty 3

Nintendo Wii
Code:
[B]First Party[/B]:
1.Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2.Mario Strikers Charged
3.Super Paper Mario
4.Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
5.Mario Party 8
6.Super Mario Galaxy
7.Wii Sports
8.Wii Play
9.Big Brain Academy

10.Resident Evil 4
11.Red Steel
12.Rayman Raving Rabbits
13.Guitar Hero III
14.Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

Playstation 3
Code:
1.Resistance: Fall of Man
2.Motor Storm

3.Call of Duty 4
4.Assassin's Creed

Update

perfectchaos007 said:
I thought that was Nintendo using Sega characters. But was it Sega using Nintendo characters?
SEGA published in NA. Nintendo published in Japan. I'm not sure who the publisher is for EU, but I think it's SEGA.

Lightning

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Surprising good software sales for PS3 in the US. Great SMG sales, great COD4/AC sales as well. 360 dominates software as expected of it. Uncharted not doing that well is disappointing.

Hardware numbers are hardly surprising but PS2 outselling PS3 is still lolzo. PS3 doing decent for itself, at least it's pacing the 360 from last year (even though 360 was 511K last year same time). Wii not selling 1 million+ is surprising to me but that's still quite an impressive number. DS does ridiculous as expected. 360 numbers also expected.

These are good numbers for all 3 companies and shows that this generation is a fairly interesting competition. Next year should be a tighter race for all 3 competitors.
Uncharted numbers suck man... Sad panda.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
The sales performance of those games is where it needs to be in order to justify future support, so I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing. Lead platform? That may become a matter of convenience and efficiency and have little to do with sales performance. If the most efficient way of doing things is to develop on 360 first and port to PS3, then developers will continue to do so. But there seems to be some divided opinions about that.

And to imagine that it was a hair from being a reality now.

March 2005 to December 2007, two years and fucking 9 months to make a PS3 game that would have helped the PS3 immensely, a platform that they will definitely need to peddle their games on down the line, but they wanted to fucking cash it in and tell early adopters to fuck off.
Indifferent2.gif

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
AltogetherAndrews said:
I really don't think it has to be spectacular. I'm going to avoid going on another hate rant here, but recent sales record certainly proves that much. All it needs to do is remain easily marketable, as they already have that covered with iconic characters and a unique and dazzling presentation, and it will sell. I'm the last person to place faith in Guerrilla, but this is a certain hit irrespective of consistency and quality.

yeah, i see what you mean. particularly the first bit--insert coughs with an interstitial "wii play"

Iksenpets

Banned
Wow, seeing them all listed out I guess it does make sense that the 360 would have that many million sellers. And I think CoD3 and Fight Night 3 would probably both make that list as well.

Piper Az said:
If you are a developer and are making a game right now, it's difficult not to put the 360 as your primary platform due to its dominant lead (installed base) over the PS3. If and when the PS3 catches up with the 360, developers will have more freedom to pick which console to mainly develop for.

Lead platform isn't necessarily determined based on sales though. As said, if it's more efficient to develop for one and then port to the other, then that's the way to go. Now, it could certainly play a part in how much effort developers put into taking advantage of features exclusive to one system, but this idea that sales data dictates lead platform seems off to me.

unomas

Banned
A month of wow for sure. Looking at my friends list out of the 100 I have over 50 of them have played COD 4 ranked online for 360. That 1.5 million number on the 360 alone isn't that shocking, and I bought my copy in December so it didn't even count for this NPD.

Rockband 360...300k? People are willing to plunk down $170 for it?

For those wondering where Guitar Hero 3 on the 360 is......Rockband says hi, Mass Effect, COD 4, Assassins Creed, and Halo 3. The 360 just has too many games out, and I'm sure Guitar Hero 3 didn't do poorly on the 360 but the Wii didn't have many other big titles competing for $$$ so I'm not shocked the Wii version outsold the 360 version.

It's just crazy how good the software is moving, did everyone win the lottery or what?

Slavik81

mckmas8808 said:
But devs will always need to make HD next gen games. In that sense the Wii will not take development from HD videogames.
Sorry, what kind of 'need' is this? Nintendo's not making a single HD game and they haven't gone out of buisness.

There's no reason why any developer 'needs' to make an HD game.

Zzoram

Sanjay said:
how come we got sales for Crysis & UT3 for the pc and not cod4 and orange box?

A lot of the sales of CoD4 and Orange Box (and the individual parts of Orange Box) were over Steam, which isn't counted. Of the 5 people I know who bought Orange Box, 3 did it through Steam, and one other person only bought TF2 over Steam.

Sanjay said:
how come we got sales for Crysis & UT3 for the pc and not cod4 and orange box?
Impossible to know the real sales on both those titles as they were also available via Steam which does not make numbers available.

Kittonwy

Banned
Sean said:

I open the latest EGM and Uncharted has a four page fold-out ad. Both games had pre-release demos, commercials, internet banners and magazine ads, and had tons of "Making of" /video documentary features released on the internet before the games came out. I'm not sure what else could have been done.

The problem is they didn't push the games early enough, you can't build hype overnight, you have to push the games like 2 years ahead of time and just get the press to come on board.

tegdf said:
the first Killzone sold 2 million copies I think and the reviews weren't that great, Killzone 2 is gonna sell alot imo even if it sucks
Alot of the previous PS2 million sellers are selling a tenth up to a fifth of thier former selves on the PS3. Granted, KZ2 has alot more hype going for it.

Zzoram

Iksenpets said:
Wow, seeing them all listed out I guess it does make sense that the 360 would have that many million sellers. And I think CoD3 and Fight Night 3 would probably both make that list as well.

Wow I forgot those, they definitely might have.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Lead platform isn't necessarily determined based on sales though. As said, if it's more efficient to develop for one and then port to the other, then that's the way to go. Now, it could certainly play a part in how much effort developers put into taking advantage of features exclusive to one system, but this idea that sales data dictates lead platform seems off to me.
Yeah. I think Burnout Paradise may change that around a bit.

We've seen going 360 -> PS3 has been horrible at times in the past. So if BO Paradise going PS3 to 360 puts out 2 superb versions, and it's efficenent, I wouldn't be surprised to see more PS3 lead platform games. Big "if" on efficency, though; it may still just be easier and cheaper for a lot of mid-ground games to go 360/PC and a cheap port to PS3 for a while yet. Hard to say.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
harSon said:
Here is a list of games from what I could find that have sold over a million or relatively close to a million:

Code:
1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
4. Perfect Dark Zero
5. Forza 2
6. Crackdown
7. Mass Effect (Going to happen)

[B]Third Party[/B]
8. Oblivion
9. Guitar Hero 2
10.Bioshock
11.Madden NFL 08
12.Saints Row
18.Madden 07
19.Lost Planet
20.Dead Rising
21.Call of Duty 2
23.Call of Duty 4
24.Guitar Hero 3
25.Assassins Creed (Close enough)

These are just games that are over or fairly close to 1 million. I'd imagine that there are quide a few games that are middle ranged as far as sales go. The choice seems relatively easy for developers with games that have international appeal.
i see a trend here. this is a problem that most of these games are of the general "brown is realistic in the west" category. if this is where the 360's success is, then there is a serious problem for devs in Japan and developers of software outside of this area of art direction. with rising dev costs, less than 1million units wont cut it. this is where i see the Wii becoming big. devs will takes more risks with this system. just look at that recently announced N/B RPG Fragile. they are putting their top not-tales teams on this game, but it's not an established franchise, nor is it a quick cash-in. they contracted Miyazaki's composer for Christ's sake. this is a unique, high talent game that has a very unmainstream approach and all things considered is a risk. however, it's a risk they can take because they don't need to invest as much in due to SD graphics and by extention receive a solid ROI even if the game sells less than a half-million.

the Wii is the best platform for high risk titles that don't make more than a million in sales but are darlings on GAF. in spite of the poor sales, Capcom is rumored to have another Zack and Wiki game coming out, that would not happen if a similar thing happened with a 360 game like Lost Planet or Dead Rising.

this industry is driven by ROI, not only pure game sales, but how much profit can be made on those games. if a game costs a company $30million to make for the 360 and they manage to sell a million units, they would have made more if they had invested $10million in a Wii game, even if only sold half of what the 360 game did. don't give me the whole "Wii audience" line, because it's simply not true with games like RE4 Wii, RE:UC, Super Paper Mario, FE, GHIII. theres the same kind of audience there that eat up 360 games and then some. you want games with international appeal, the Wii is just as good.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sean said:

And the games are just as COD4 and AC. I don't get it.

Slavik81 said:
Sorry, what kind of 'need' is this? Nintendo's not making a single HD game and they haven't gone out of buisness.

There's no reason why any developer 'needs' to make an HD game.

There are those developers who feel they must have all the power they can get in order to truly express themselves.

harSon

Banned
neptunes said:
That million seller list for all platforms (including DS/PSP) could use its own thread

I'd need help with those, especially the PSP. I tend to only keep tabs on systems I own, those being the Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii (Sold it unfortunately), and a DS.

Christine

HK-47 said:
Pokemon reignited the GB and helped push the GBC. Brain Traing did help the DS but there where really 3 seperate ignitions (which probably helped make it the super sales beast it is today) Nintendogs, followed by BT, MK DS, and AC WW all in a small time frame (casual and hardcore) and then again with NSMB right before the Lite.

SaturnV.jpg

?

Pachael

jgwhiteus said:
Disney might not be a mega-publisher, but they do have some popular IPs, and I think their choices are representative of where "family" companies are going this gen - completely to Nintendo. PS3's priced themselves out of the family demographic, and X360 just has the wrong userbase. Neither system will capture the "parent trying to buy the best system for their kid" contingent (which is ultimately pretty sizeable) if they don't broaden their offerings a bit more.

I agree - I've always thought that the 'shovelware' that gets pushed isn't really shovelware as licenses and big brands are attached to titles like HSM. The console/handheld that gets these things is usually going to 'win'. That said, perception counts a lot and even if Sony brings out all the Buzzes and Singstars out, people will still think the PS3's a premium system and that they should get a second job to afford it. Nintendo's always been more of a budget/family company which is reflected in its products and its success is deserved.

papelnabangka said:
Alot of the previous PS2 million sellers are selling a tenth up to a fifth of thier former selves on the PS3. Granted, KZ2 has alot more hype going for it.

And it's a marketing dream. Great iconic characters and enemies, incredible symbolism, and the war concept sells itself. If Sony somehow manages to screw up the marketing of Killzone 2, then good grief.

Piper Az

AltogetherAndrews said:

hmm, in last gen, the PS2 was more difficult to program for, but it was the primary console for developers due to its dominance in installed base - then they ported games to the Xbox. Rarely, it was the other way around. It just happens to be in this gen that the 360 is easier to program for than the PS3...my 2 cents.

AltogetherAndrews said:
The Darkness is probably a decent indication of what a game that gets such things right can sell without really even trying.

Top Bottom