• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rip retail. Amazon beginning Sunday delivery (starting in LA/NY)

Like I said, already started here in Northern Ky/Cincinnati.

BYxYBB3CYAArHZr.png

zakislam

Bring it to the UK! Wow, if their next-day guaranteed delivery by some orders until even 7 PM the previous day wasn't good enough via Prime membership.

Barzul

I submit myself to the Amazon Prime overlords. Seriously once you get used to 2 day shipping, you can't go back.

Dmented

Banned
Maryland here. I just got a package from Amazon yesterday (Sunday). Surprised me that it came on a Sunday. Not a prime member either.

The USPS was recently contemplating discontinuing Saturday delivery to save money, but are now adding Sunday delivery for Amazon....... I wonder how much Amazon is paying them for this.

realcool

Update: Although Amazon's press release led us to believe that Sunday deliveries would only be available to Prime subscribers, a company representative has let us know that this is in fact not the case — all customers will be able to take advantage. We've updated this story to clarify.

For the people who might not have read the article and are under the impression that this service is only available to Amazon Prime subscribers.

majik13

surprised at the lack of Bay Area/Silicon Valley support. Not even planned for 2014?

edit: though based on some posts here it looks like they are already supporting cities that are not mentioned in the article?

erawsd

The USPS was recently contemplating discontinuing Saturday delivery to save money, but are now adding Sunday delivery for Amazon....... I wonder how much Amazon is paying them for this.

Probably a ton, but thats what Amazon does. They literally make zero profit because they are constantly making these types of ambitous investments.

L~A

Omg... now that's fr*aking awesome, but it's sooooooooooo never gonna happen in Europe. I'm already a Prime Member, so doesn't matter if it'd be required or not. I don't really care about received stuff day 1 (don't buy VG at retail anymore), but I'd sure love it being to browse Amazon pretty much any day of the week without having to take Sunday into account. Would really help for some late birthday present hunting and stuff.

Probably a ton, but thats what Amazon does. They literally make zero profit because they are constantly making these types of ambitous investments.

Oh, don't worry, Amazon is making a TON of money. They just have some very clever financial arrangements and stuff, so they get little taxes and all.

Megatron

I'm sure all of Amazon's competitors love that they're getting special treatment from USPS.

This is my thought. Doesn't the post office get sued when they give one. Company special privileges? Remember the gamefly/Netflix fiasco? How is this any different?

erawsd

Omg... now that's fr*aking awesome, but it's sooooooooooo never gonna happen in Europe. I'm already a Prime Member, so doesn't matter if it'd be required or not. I don't really care about received stuff day 1 (don't buy VG at retail anymore), but I'd sure love it being to browse Amazon pretty much any day of the week without having to take Sunday into account. Would really help for some late birthday present hunting and stuff.

Oh, don't worry, Amazon is making a TON of money. They just have some very clever financial arrangements and stuff, so they get little taxes and all.

I'm not worried, I know Amazon could rake in insane profits if they wanted. However, they constantly post quarterly losses or razor thin profits. The reason is that they aggressively invest in future expansion.

erawsd

This is my thought. Doesn't the post office get sued when they give one. Company special privileges? Remember the gamefly/Netflix fiasco? How is this any different?

The difference is that Amazon isn't getting special treatment, it is paying the USPS for sunday service. Netflix wasn't paying anything, while gamefly had to pay huge fees for the same hand sorting.

No post on sunday here and also no retail so even if they would do it here in france that would mean private delivery company operating under super specials laws and super high delivery guys wages so.... I guess it will never happen

Fox the Sly

I work for the postal service (window clerk) and got my Razer Deathadder and Steelseries mousepad in the mail today. I forgot about the amazon thing and Sunday delivery for a minute. Hah!

BigDug13

At what cost though? I love my Prime membership and all, but you're already working your warehouse employees to the bone with almost zero respect to their own being. Not sure how I feel about bending them over even harder, even if it means greater convenience for myself.

But I guess I'm part of the problem since I pay for Prime.

Top Bottom