• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Super Mario 3D World review: 9.6 from IGN

To be fair, I still think the E3 trailer and how anti-climatic the first HD 3D Mario's reveal helped a lot in people's negative reaction. Even most of the press reception from E3 while positive felt like it was just a souped up 3DLand. The mainstream turn-around in opinion didn't really start until the October trailer showed off way more unique cool shit.

There still wasnt enough shown, to come to a conclusion, but people still put the game down, instead withholding judgement.

Gsnap

To be fair, I still think the E3 trailer and how anti-climatic the first HD 3D Mario's reveal helped a lot in people's negative reaction. Even most of the press reception from E3 while positive felt like it was just a souped up 3DLand. The mainstream turn-around in opinion didn't really start until the October trailer showed off way more unique cool shit.

Yeah, but... EAD Tokyo. They really are the kind of developer that people shouldn't doubt until the game is in their hands and they find it lacking.

One would think that a community of gamers would know that...

Kyzon

Yeah, she was in the last Nintendo Direct playing the role of the girl in elevator. =P

I just find it funny that the Publisher of IGN decides that he rather spend time talking about Nintendo stuff instead of running the company.

I lost my shit when I saw that. I hope she randomly walks through all Nintendo Directs from now on.

Mr-Joker

Banned
When I first saw the E3 trailer I knew that 3D World was going to be a good Mario game and went to pre-order it while everyone else was just over reacting and kept calling it a rehashed or a 3D land port.

Soooo, glad that my faith in Nintendo was rewarded.

There still wasnt enough shown, to come to a conclusion, but people still put the game down, instead withholding judgement.

People expressed their opinions on what was shown. By and large, it looked pretty lackluster, thus most of the reactions were kinda lackluster. When they showed a great trailer, it got great reactions. Go figure.

ohlawd

lol I'm pretty disappointed in the fact that I didn't believe in EAD Tokyo.

gawd damn what a fool I am. It's EAD Tokyo. They'll deliver even if they don't put any effort.

When I first saw the E3 trailer I knew that 3D World was going to be a good Mario game and went to pre-order it while everyone else was just over reacting and kept calling it a rehashed or a 3D land port.

Soooo, glad that my faith in Nintendo was rewarded.

yeah that's surely a refreshing change of pace

Tripon

Did IGN break embargo or do they have some time exclusive to a review?

No, just a honest mistake. Notice that they pulled it from youtube pretty quick.

Edit: I don't think Nintendo would mind. 9.6 is a great score, and its positive PR for a game and system that they're banking on.

Bullza2o

Nice, as expected!

As much as I want to buy this game day one, I had to cancel my preorder because I know it will go on sale during Black Friday somewhere, probably Amazon.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Happy Christmas, console war is over!

Fucking awesome! So, I've never bought a new title on the eshop before. Can I grab this 12:01am on the 22nd? Do I have to wait until some dumbass hour before I can jump?

Darryl

Banned

The horrible stream used to initially announce the game didn't do it any favors either. Really put a bad taste in the mouth and I don't blame people for finding it underwhelming.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
iborL2rSKVliuX.gif

God damnit lol.

Tripon

It would be the reason to buy a Wii U for me, just not going to buy it until it's under $150

See you in 4 years then. Unless you mean a used Wii U.

So... Two 90+ games on one day? Pinch me. November 22 is the day of the year.

3. You forgot RYSE. =P
Off topic somewhat: I know launch games generally are not great, but man, the launches for PS4 and XBox One seem incredibly so. Sony and MS wishes that they anything close to what 3D World will be.

javac

No point writing a massive thesis. You all know the score. This game is going to be phenomenal. The music, visuals, level design, gameplay. There's plenty to love on the Wii U but the list of quality games on the Wii U is only going to get bigger because Nintendo just outclass everyone with game development and fun games. Can't wait...but at the same time I can wait because the Wii U is already keeping me busy!

rtcn63

A 9.6 compared to New Super Mario Bros? Not saying much. Okay I'm just joshin'. Do wonder what other games it could be placed against- Rayman Legends? It's kind of sparse genre, no? This, DK Breeze, and Bayonetta 2 are the only Wii U games I wish to play... but like some others, I'll wait 'til it and the Wii U are cheap (hoping for a bundle next holiday season). I have a Wii... I saw how Ninty practically left it to die way before its time... I'm not going through that again.

zroid

Banned
Fucking awesome! So, I've never bought a new title on the eshop before. Can I grab this 12:01am on the 22nd? Do I have to wait until some dumbass hour before I can jump?

Midnight eastern time. So if you're lucky enough to be on the west coast, or better yet Hawaii... :O

When it was revealed it looked like one. Doesn't mean its not gonna be fun.

Agreed. Not afraid to eat crow right now, but the initial reveal was so very underwhelming. Glad it looks great right now though, I just wish I had the console to play it on. :/

i was bright on 3d world from the start, but that's partly because i fully expected that we'd get some fall trailers in a direct or whatever that showed off great looking and creative levels, because that's what nintendo does these days

the first trailer is always Iwata or Miyamoto going "look, this is Game. in this title, you can use a bamfodad and it does a thing. that is the new feature. we hope you are looking forward to it, thank you" and everyone's all "oh farts this is dull and Lacks Whimsy And Soul" and then like three months later there's a trailer showing off a bunch of levels and environments and gameplay and everyone's all "choo choo hype train thread game of the forever"

Top Bottom