• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Don't have my unit yet, but hearing reports that BT headsets aren't working? I thought that this was supposed to be compatible with previous PS headsets and really want to use my CECHYA-0080 PS headset.

Logash

How does the download work? Does it auto start or will I be able to choose to use the USB right away instead. Should I even use it? Does it download slow?

Shadybiz

Sounds like the pc version except with a disc.

Dammit EA...

Yeah, that sounds like a BF4 issue...not a PS4 issue. I am not surprised at all, since I occasionally browse the BF4 thread, and there are just loads of problems.

Ejecting the disc is a damn weird error, though.

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Greatness has arrived for me. Just got back home from driving to Gamestop and picking up my preorder since they opened earlier this morning.

Looking forward to enjoying the new generation with my fellow Gaf members.

Well, mine is broken apparently. I've tried 3 tv's, 2 different cables and nothing. I can't get it to show a picture at all. I've even tried to boot in to safe mode but I still get nothing.

This, of course, would happen to me.

shandy706

Just checked with 4 Walmarts within 30 minutes of me, 2 less than 15 minutes, and 3 of the 4 said they have them in stock for sale. The one that doesn't is a bigger city.

Well, mine is broken apparently. I've tried 3 tv's, 2 different cables and nothing. I can't get it to show a picture at all. I've even tried to boot in to safe mode but I still get nothing.

This, of course, would happen to me.

I'm sorry :(

Avadon

Neo Member
Anyone with the camera and Just Dance 2014? I want to see a review of the camera body motion detection :p

O and congrats to everyone that have it already, I must wait to the 29 :(

Yoday

What are the two files of BF4 .The second seems small for the whole game.First one seems like a patch ,but how come downloading a patch before the game itself.Shed some light.
I have been trying to figure out exactly what it is, and I have been downloading five retail games plus the PS+ and F2P games, so I have seen a lot of these multiple files. I THINK what is going on is that what you see in the download list is the initial chunk of data that the game needs in order to run. Once that chunk is finished, you can start playing the game, and it will continue to download in the background, but you don't see it in the download list. I also think the other files are patches, as after they download, they install, and then finally list as "updated". So the larger file is the "required to play" portion of the game, and the smaller files are patches/updates.

Now, because you don't see a game in the download list after the required portion is installed, there is only one way to see how much you have remaining. It actually took me a bit to find this, but it is very handy. When you highlight a game on the content bar and hit the "options" button, you get a list of options. In there you can click on "information" just like on a PS3 digital game. Instead of listing just the size of the game, it lists the size and then underneath that it also lists the download progress (for example 18 GB/ 20 GB). If the game is fully downloaded the download status will list "completed". It is a pretty nice setup, but it was a bit hidden.

JChalmers

Neo Member
So glad I'm busy almost every day for the next fortnight.

This is going to be torture seeing people playing it/posting screens.

Hopefully time will fly, and I've unintentionally booked the Friday off work so got a long weekend to play!

Zoc

I really want to know: how is the controller audio output? Good quality? Laggy? Especially: does it stream DVD and Blu Ray audio?

Me this morning:

so8MXwj.jpg

big_erk

Friend of mine picked his up last night. Got home and hooked it up. Unit prompted for update download. Download started and got halfway through then unit shut off and would not turn back on. None of the fixes posted online made a difference. He's returning it this morning.

The install went fine for me! However, I've been sitting at the please wait screen trying to sign in to the PSN for about 15 minutes now. Won't let me back out or anything.

Don't know if I should just keep waiting or hard reboot. :/

Finally bit the bullet and have cancelled my launch day PS4 here in the UK. Had it ordered in the standard KZ bundle for £400 and ordered another DS4 and camera for £78

Amazon have said that my order for the mega bundle will ship before Christmas and it's saving me close to £50 so for the sake of a week or two I decided to go with that. I'm sure I have a pretty big PS3 backlog to get through anyway!

Yoday

Update on about how long it takes to download things.

I have been downloading games non-stop for a little under six hours, and I have completely downloaded Flower, Contrast, Warframe, DCUO, Blacklight Retribution, ACIV, NFS:R, and Resogun. I have also downloaded Killzone, BF4, and Knack about halfway each (they are huge). So in a little under six hours I have pulled in about 140GB, which gives a download rate of just under 7MB/s, which is maxing out my connection. Needless to say, this absolutely crushes download speeds on the PS3, and is on par with what I get from Steam.

Thank you Sony!

1337Sauce

Is it safe to boot in to Safe Mode the first time I turn the console on? I have a USB with the update on it right now and am about to leave to go grab my system. When I get back, can I just install from the USB before doing anything else? or should I boot the system up once the normal way?

Update on about how long it takes to download things.

I have been downloading games non-stop for a little under six hours, and I have completely downloaded Flower, Contrast, Warframe, DCUO, Blacklight Retribution, ACIV, NFS:R, and Resogun. I have also downloaded Killzone, BF4, and Knack about halfway each (they are huge). So in a little under six hours I have pulled in about 140GB, which gives a download rate of just under 7MB/s, which is maxing out my connection. Needless to say, this absolutely crushes download speeds on the PS3, and is on par with what I get from Steam.

Thank you Sony!

I'm glad to hear this.

Are you on WiFi or Ethernet?

Top Bottom