• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

MrMephistoX

Am I missing something or are there no demos or 1 hr trials? I could have sworn Cerney said they would let you try any game on the store a while back.

Of course the PS4 customer service would be full. .4% my ass. This is widespread..Sony shouldn't have rushed the launch to meet the needs of the customers.

Pain

Banned
Huh, suddenly my PS4 works. Perhaps I just did not have the HDMI cord in all the way or something.
Watch it not work in 10 minutes.

JK, I'm glad to see some of these errors are fixable

Battlefield's the graphics omg! Such smooth, many pixels, so explosion. Wow
Glad to see the people with working PS4s talking about it.

Shouldn't someone create a PS4 troubleshooting thread?

Vizzeh

Banned
Huh, suddenly my PS4 works. Perhaps I just did not have the HDMI cord in all the way or something.

Was able to restart it in safe mode, I reset everything to factory settings. Now doing the internet setup.

Loki.gif

Gaz_RB

Disk drive is kind of loud when it's loading but no worse than the PS3 slim, IMO. Otherwise it's audible but pretty quiet.

[RANT]

One thing that pisses me off. Why did Sony switch to Micro-USB for the controller cable? What was the reasoning here? So all my extra-long PS3 cables wouldn't work and I'd have to buy new ones? It's not like a phone where the device is so thin you really need it. The controller's bigger than last time for pete's sake. Grumble, grumble..

Wait.. hasn't it always been microusb?

As someone with a high end PC, I'm not being blown away graphically. Games look good, but outside of physics/particle effects, I'm not really seeing anything I haven't seen before.

That being said, I'm loving the system. The UI, the responsiveness, and precision of the controller...I really can't fault the PS4 for much right now.

you speak for yourself. Im very impressed by 2k14 and Shadow Fall. Gtx 770 owner and I play all the graphics heavyweights

Loving NBA 2k14.

Strange that it let's you play while it installs tho, pretty much strips the game of everything other than a Quick Match with no commentary.

After that, its all good.

Resogun is fantastic! Feels a lot like Geometry Wars.

Pain

Banned
Of course the PS4 customer service would be full. .4% my ass. This is widespread..Sony shouldn't have rushed the launch to meet the needs of the customers.
OR you could be part of the .04. Many of us on this forum will be part of that since we're the ones who pre-order the earliest and probably getting the first off the line.

Mononoke

Banned
I feel really stupid - but, I'm on the second level of Resogun. And every time a human is about to be free (when their cell starts to glow), they keep dying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I even sit right over them and they die. I kill everything around them, and it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing I missed something crucial. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Am I missing something or are there no demos or 1 hr trials? I could have sworn Cerney said they would let you try any game on the store a while back.
The opposite. They said their wouldn't be 1 hour trials and from the way they made it sound they wouldn't be coming any time soon.

No demos but my guess is that has more to do with getting the titles ready for launch than avoiding demos for them.

I typed in my sign in information after downloading the update and it's been saying "Please wait..." for over five minutes now. Is that normal?

Rageous

Neo Member
Search yielded no luck, has anyone been able to confirm yet if Injustice and DiveKick support PS3-based USB arcade sticks? (MadCatz TE, Qanba/Eightarc, Hori, etc.) The PS4 FAQ said it'd come down to whether developers wanted to support it or not, so it'd be nice to see where the initial trend is.

My GOD ,you guys are scaring the SHIT out of me, getting my console on Monday and I'm going to hook it up at the store before I take it home, I'm THAT paraoind :((((

Why? If it doesn't work, you get a refund. Zero reason to hook it up in the store.

/sigh

Regardless of when it launched these exact issues would occur. If you ship a million plus electronics you are going to have a few thousand fail. It is a given. It is one of the reason why retailers allow the return of opened/defective merchandise.

kaskade

Here's a shitty picture, but I tried to get the angle a bit better. You can see that there is a cutout around the plastic part and that is where the metal tab sits in. I think the cable would hit the plastic before it even touches that tab.

Who knows, I could get home and it won't work either.

alright, its been three fucking hours and Im still only able to play the default game on 2k14 owing to it still installing. Three hours and its barely even halfway done? what is this?

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Usually getting stomped in Killzone MP but I am having a blast with it. lol

About to take a break and try something else next.

System has been running smooth ever since I first booted it up and it definitely is snappier than the PS3.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
My awesome UPS lady almost always comes before 1. Of course, on this day of days, I'm still sitting here waiting like a sad puppy missing its owner. ;_;

graywolf323

Best quality stream iv seen so far, all others were on twitch so far though... whats the obsession with twitch if Ustream has that quality.

well I also have a really good FiOS internet connection and went into settings and changed the stream quality to best

got my ps4 today with killzone :)

Sorry to report that i am not having any issues! other then i cant connect to warframe servers, i guess they are getting hammered

played through a few levels of killzone, a bit of resogun, and some multi in KZ

Evo X

Woot! Just got mine in the mail. Hope this thing actually works and I'm not a part of that .4% statistic posted earlier. lol

c1YJsC6.jpg

AmyS

Just woke up after some much-needed sleep.

I will never, ever disconnect the HDMI cable that was included from my PS4's HDMI port.
Everything has worked fine, so far, but I'm being extra cautious with anything and everything I do.

I did try one thing though.

While in a game of BF4 SP, I pressed the PS button, went to Settings > Sound And Screen > Video Output Settings > Resolution and switched from 1080p to 480p to 720p and back to 1080p again, while going back into my BF4 game between each resolution change.

I have a native 1080p set and I do realize PS4 BF4 runs at native 900p.

I did this not so much to see the differences, but more to see just if it worked.

It did.

So anyway:

bCyvrnb.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It really does seem like the hardware issues might be a bigger problem than what was expected yesterday.
Yeah, at this point it's seeming pretty significant. Yes, people who are having problems are more likely to speak up than people who aren't, but still.

Mononoke

Banned
I feel really stupid - but, I'm on the second level of Resogun. And every time a human is about to be free (when their cell starts to glow), they keep dying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I even sit right over them and they die. I kill everything around them, and it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing I missed something crucial. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Okay I figured it out. Basically you have to shoot the glowing green ships which then will shoot something out that hits the cells open. Lol so obvious.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
3:30, the UPS guy hasn't come yet, and I'm quickly running out of beer.

Top Bottom