• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

SeanR1221

Turn on the option in the settings and pair the Vita with your PlayStation 4 system using the PS4 app.

I did that, but does it just auto direct connect when near the system? Basically if I'm in my basement it works perfectly fine. Go to the first floor and it's extremely spotty (both devices over wifi).

Is there a list of titles that support coop or 2 player via remote play? Will probably make a big difference when choosing some games in the future

Vita TV will have the ability to connect 2 dualshock 4 controller in the future so you can play Knack co-op or any fighting game and sports game that have local multiplayer away from home.

Tsundere

Banned
I did that, but does it just auto direct connect when near the system? Basically if I'm in my basement it works perfectly fine. Go to the first floor and it's extremely spotty (both devices over wifi).

When the PS4 is within range it'll connect via "nearby", otherwise it'll look over the internet.

WiCkEd_Co

I love this, I used it as a second controller to play Knack with my wife. I also was at my moms yesterday for a few hours and connected it to try it out thinking it wasn't really going to work but it did and it work damn well, Was playing Knack with no noticeable input lag.

I'm really impress.

Gotcha. Maybe I'll make it a summer project to hardwire my PS4. Don't feel like running the cables now though.

If you care, I would suggest looking into powerline adapters that I suggested on the previous page

Works to get basically wired internet anywhere within a household

No mess etc

It's actually quite cool tech in my opinion. you plug both adapters into normal wall sockets in your house, one near your out of reach device, one next to or near your router or switch. Then these adapters send the internet signal through your own electrical wires through your house.

They work across different circuits as well although in rare cases it has somewhat affected performance hence why I asked for a good suggestion from gaffers more familiar with them

I do know several people who swear by them for tricky internet scenarios

For example

Thanks guys, I ordered this from Amazon for $120 (a little pricey but people said it was never spotty, which the other ones were).

But there's cheaper ones as well

RaikuHebi

Banned
Kind of a silly question but what's the best/proper way to disconnect from Remote Play when you are done? Seems like there's not really a "Stop Remote Play" option.
Do you mean stop Remote Play or turn off the PS4?

If you mean stop Remote Play just exit the app on your Vita by folding it across the screen.

If you mean turn off the PS4 just do it from the Vita.

EDIT: whoops I didn't realise there was a new page with replies.

Kiyo

I don't suppose there's a way to swap L1/R1 with L2/R2 for some games is there? Games like NBA 2k14 and Madden both use the default vita control scheme, yet both games have their sprint on R2.

I was pleasantly surprised that AC4 had a custom control scheme for remote play, I'm really enjoying that.

SeanR1221

If you care, I would suggest looking into powerline adapters that I suggested on the previous page

No mess etc

For example

Well they way my basement is set up, the cable line was at one end, and the phone at the other. It's a really silly set up, I dunno why they aren't next to each other. So I'll have to convert the phone port and then run an ethernet cable along the baseboard.

Or I could try one of those plug in things....

FlipCup

Neo Member

No mess etc

For example

Do you know of a method to get stronger wifi signal in a different part of the house? When I am downstairs in a room next to my router, the wifi signal on my Vita is strong. However, when I go upstairs to my room, the signal is almost non existent on the Vita. Would I need some sort of bridge or repeater (AP)?

So, as promised, I've tested Remote Play in my main office and it works now, and... it's pretty damn impressive. ResoGun is quite playable and I didn't expect that. I would guess I'm getting around 200 ms of input lag. It's where I can tell it's happening, but it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the game (which is going to vary person to person).

I doubt I'll be setting any high scores this way, but it's still very playable. ResoGun was a game I was fairly sure wouldn't be. AC4 was quite friendly to it as well. Being all retail I can't test out KZ, NFS or Lego Marvel (which doesn't have the best remote play controls, especially once you hop in a vehicle) today... but yeah.

That seals it. Digital it is going forwards.

SeanR1221

Is the system smart enough to switch to wifi from direct connection?

Heres the situation.

In the same room as the PS4 it works flawlessly.

Upstairs in the room above the PS4 it's very spotty.

Turning off direct connecting and its a bit laggy/fuzzy but much more playable than above.

I feel like in the upstairs situation it's trying to directly connect and it's actually worse.

Jim

I was surprised to see that Skylanders: Swap Force works with remote play. Looks/plays great.

Of course you have to leave the USB portal plugged into the PS4 to switch characters and all that. Have a feeling my kids will find a way to take advantage of that hah.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was surprised to see that Skylanders: Swap Force works with remote play. Looks/plays great.

Of course you have to leave the USB portal plugged into the PS4 to switch characters and all that. Have a feeling my kids will find a way to take advantage of that hah.

This USB thing is required for that game? I've never played them games with the starter kits and such.

Jim

This USB thing is required for that game? I've never played them games with the starter kits and such.

Absolutely, that's essentially the whole point of the series. The games are actually quite good too. Definitely my favorite kid-friendly console action games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Absolutely, that's essentially the whole point of the series. The games are actually quite good too. Definitely my favorite kid-friendly console action games.

Maybe I should consider it for PS4 then?! Hmmmm....

Thanks for the response.

Remote play has all of a sudden stopped working for me over the internet. I will have to troubleshoot this weekend. It was working AMAZINGLY on Monday and now it just wont connect. Any ideas? I tried rebooting the vita as it suggested and that didnt help. I am gonna boot my PS4 next.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Good news! I turned off the direct connect and after doing so remote play works great for me in my office and even in my bedroom on the 2nd floor. I guess the PS4 defaulted to direct connect so it worked great when I was sitting in the basement with my PS4 but once I was off that floor it was terrible.

Really happy I was able to get those issues resolved. With the PS4 connected over ethernet and vita connecting on my home Wifi there is just a tad bit of lag which is not really noticeable unless I'm looking at both my TV screen and the Vita screen.

So I've done some tests at home using Remote play through the LAN with my PS4 being wired. It seems that some games work better than others. Resogun works almost flawlessly, almost like a native game, but unfortunately, Contrast and Killzone both have extremely noticeable lag. They were unplayable, IMO. I haven't tried the PS4 direct connection method but due to the PS4's location and the distance to our bedroom it's probably not a good option.

I've tried getting remote play working over the Internet but so far have not had any success, despite it working fine with PS3. I'll recheck my router settings tonight.

EDIT - Also, the Sony page linked in the OP about what ports to open encourages enabling uPnP on the router. Please be aware that this setting can greatly reduce your router's ability to protect you if anything on your LAN becomes infected with malware. If you are concerned about security I would advise setting the PS4 to a static IP and manually opening the required ports directly to that IP.

Zoe

Can you use RP when the system is turned off or does it have to be in standby?

EDIT - Also, the Sony page linked in the OP about what ports to open encourages enabling uPnP on the router. Please be aware that this setting can greatly reduce your router's ability to protect you if anything on your LAN becomes infected with malware. If you are concerned about security I would advise setting the PS4 to a static IP and manually opening the required ports directly to that IP.

UPnP is the only way we can get it to work, so what we had to do was use the web interface (yeah yeah, not exactly secure either) and turn on UPnP right before using RP. Then once the connection is established, disable UPnP again. As long as you're already connected, it doesn't need it to be on anymore.

Krakn3Dfx

Remote play has all of a sudden stopped working for me over the internet. I will have to troubleshoot this weekend. It was working AMAZINGLY on Monday and now it just wont connect. Any ideas? I tried rebooting the vita as it suggested and that didnt help. I am gonna boot my PS4 next.

Stopped working for me too as of today, was working fine yesterday, but this morning, can't connect from my office. Wonder if the 1.51 changed something on the PS4 that would affect it, but will have to wait until I get home to check.

Bummer that I finally got it to work properly yesterday and it was amazing, only to have it not work today. Ahh well, still the first week, hopefully this stuff will stabilize over time.

melman101

So, after ridiculous trouble with Verizon and Actiontec I think I've finally got my remote play situation solved. I tried to connect three times today and no problem.

1. I think the PS4 update 1.51 greatly improved the connection ability of remote play. As in, before it wasn't connecting, and now I am connecting. Yesterday I noticed before the update that my PS4 got stuck turning on from standby when I tried it over the internet. So I started to think maybe I was having stability problems.

2. The Verizon Fios technical support have no clue what they are doing. They had me enter settings that I knew would break the connection to the internet from my PS4 but I did it anyway, and of course it broke the connection to the Internet.

3. Actiontec is awful and if you can stay way from them, please do. I know I can't due to me needing a MOCA compatible router.

I also statically set the PS4 to an IP address and added my own DNS servers (google and one verizon one).

So I'm not sure what part of the tri-fecta did it. The 1.51 update, a reset of default settings to my Actiontec router, or the statically assigning PS4 to a specific IP and setting it's DNS as Verizon/Google servers.

But as I mentioned three successful connections this morning without me entering in anything into a DMZ, or forwarding any ports, or rebooting my router.

Piccoro

Hello, GAF I have a question about PS3 -> Vita RP, hoping that someone helps me.
I've been trying to play PSOne games that are installed in PS3 through remote play in my Vita.

On the TV, when I play 2D games (such as Castlevania Chronicles and Sonic Wings), whenever the main character/ship gets hit, there's a flickering effect on the character. It's like when in Super Mario Bros. you get hit and stay invincible for a few seconds.

But when I remote play in Vita, there's no flickering effect, the character disappears instead! This makes it very difficult to control the character, because I can't see him.

Is there anyway to improve the RP quality? I've tried using the local network and through the internet, and tried changing the image quality by tapping the Vita screen, but it's always the same.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So you have to turn off direct connect when you're going outside with your Vita?

Hope they will fix that and make it more dynamic.

melman101

So you have to turn off direct connect when you're going outside with your Vita?

Hope they will fix that and make it more dynamic.

No you don't. That setting should only affect your remote play inside your house. Essentially, that setting allows the PS4 to emit it's own WiFi SSID and you connect to that with the Vita inside your house. Should have no effect on connection outside of the house.

Well they way my basement is set up, the cable line was at one end, and the phone at the other. It's a really silly set up, I dunno why they aren't next to each other. So I'll have to convert the phone port and then run an ethernet cable along the baseboard.

Or I could try one of those plug in things....

That is an odd setup. You could just run a long ethernet cable in that case or the plugs would work very well for you because the proximity seems fairly close without any walls to go through etc.

Do you know of a method to get stronger wifi signal in a different part of the house? When I am downstairs in a room next to my router, the wifi signal on my Vita is strong. However, when I go upstairs to my room, the signal is almost non existent on the Vita. Would I need some sort of bridge or repeater (AP)?

Hmm there are wifi extenders such as this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BGYJSE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But often times it may be worth replacing the router first. What router do you have?

I believe you have to use a second router that connects to the FIOS one and use it as a switch.

I've heard of that before and it's an awkward situation

I would still suggest a new router even if you have to connect it to your old one would probably be a good first step but you can always try the extenders first

I'm assuming the fios router isn't Verizon-proprietary

My remote play works perfectly at home, but I have yet to connect over the internet. This includes messing with my router settings a couple of times.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Has anyone discovered a guide with the best settings for remote play?

Remote play seems to work well but I am VERY sensitive to input lag (I play a lot of fighting games) and even at its best I do notice some slight input lag, especially in a game like resogun.

I am probably only 10 feet away from my PS4 and have tried this with connect directly on and off - but seems the same.

FlipCup

Neo Member
I've heard of that before and it's an awkward situation

I would still suggest a new router even if you have to connect it to your old one would probably be a good first step but you can always try the extenders first

I'm assuming the fios router isn't Verizon-proprietary

I think that I am going to give the extenders a try. This may sound like a stupid question, but do I need to connect the extender to my router via ETHERNET? I am not trying to have cables running from downstairs to upstairs is why I ask.

I had created a thread for this, not knowing this thread existed. So, copied+pasted:

As an IT Professional I find the PS4's use of Wake-On-Lan and streaming features to make my inner nerd scream in delight. It is easily one of many bullet-points that makes the PS4 truly feel "next-gen" to me. Though shouldn't we be officially calling it "current gen" now?

After the sheer wow-factor got done washing over me, I was curious about how much bandwidth this feature uses. In a direct-connect or home wifi scenario, bandwidth is of little concern, but what about when the PS4 is hit from outside the internal network?

For my purposes, I am using my Verizon iPhone 5's mobile hotspot feature, using the LTE network. As of writing, I had 2/5 bars (circles for us iPhone users). My router is a Linksys WRT610N, flashed with D-WRT v24-sp2 mega-build 14929. My PS4 is hardwired, connected to a linksys gigabit switch, which is then hardwired to one of the router's gigabit ports.

I am using Comcast's 50/10 cable service, using a Motorola SB6140 cable modem. A speedtest.net run yielded the following results.
3113929409.png

This first graph shows my time with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. As we can see, the bandwidth averages around 750KB/s. I did see the graph top slightly over 1MB/s, however this is not showcased. There were signs of macroblocking and my stream did occasionally break up, though this can certainly be attributed to the LTE network. Any low points on the graph were the game starting and the picture stream featuring little action and movement.
ps401.gif

In an attempt to push this number higher, I thought "what better game than Resogun?!" Those results are as follows.
ps402.gif

As we can see, the results are not that much different than with AC4. Moral of the story? PS Vita Remote Play seems to push, on average, 750KB/s. However, I saw it go as low as ~200KB/s and as high as 1MB/s. Of course, the complexity of the scene, audio, and button inputs all have an affect on this number.

I work for a University that utilizes a dark fiber network to connect to the vast internet. I am currently negotiating a favor with the network department to connect my Vita to the network. I will update this post with those results later today.

How has everyone else's experience with PS Vita Remote Play from outside their home network been? What connections have you been using? And what games?

Man-in-the-middle attack, if old.

Russell

Has anyone discovered a guide with the best settings for remote play?

Remote play seems to work well but I am VERY sensitive to input lag (I play a lot of fighting games) and even at its best I do notice some slight input lag, especially in a game like resogun.

I am probably only 10 feet away from my PS4 and have tried this with connect directly on and off - but seems the same.
That's very concerning, actually. If you're ten feet away using Direct Connection, there should be zero noticeable input lag.

I think that I am going to give the extenders a try. This may sound like a stupid question, but do I need to connect the extender to my router via ETHERNET? I am not trying to have cables running from downstairs to upstairs is why I ask.

No worries some of these less popular internet peripherals can seem confusing

You do not need to connect to your wifi range extender via ethernet cable

I found this description to be apt for them

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2011/04/28/do-wi-fi-range-extenders-work/

If placing a router in the center of your home does not provide the desired Wi-Fi range and signal, a Wi-Fi Range extender, also known as a wireless repeater, can solve this problem by extending the range of your Wi-Fi signal. Wi-Fi range extenders are placed within the signal range of your original wireless router, and work best when placed within range of a strong signal from the original router. A Wi-Fi range extender can lower your Wi-Fi speeds on devices connected to the extender, though, but for casual internet users just surfing the web and checking email, this won’t be noticeable. Unfortunately, gamers and Netflix addicts might notice significant lag using a Wi-Fi range extender.

If you are considering a Wi-fi range extender, you will want to buy an extender that is manufactured by the same brand as your current wireless router. Check the manufacturer’s website for the best combination that fits your needs.

I just realized though that Wi-Fi extenders are usually bad for streaming :(

i wonder if there is a way to combine a wi-fi range extender with a powerline adapter to try and eliminate potential lag

In essence for your needs it would be best to create a secondary access point with no discernible lag and therefore you would need a wired range extender

Edit: I think this is the right solution for you :) (or a similar idea)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046SQ8VW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Actually the powerline adapters above might be a good solution for most any situation wherein which people are having problems extending their wired or wireless internet to anywhere in the house

melman101

That's very concerning, actually. If you're ten feet away using Direct Connection, there should be zero noticeable input lag.

Well, if he lives in an apartment building and has tons of interference, like I do that may be the cause. I even have someone on channel 3 and channel 9 causing a lot of interference on channels 1, 6, and 11. :-(. Nothing I can do about it. And I have about 30-40 AP's that I can see around me, literally.

That could be the problem then. Do you know if you can use your own router or are you limited to the Fios provided one?

You must use the FiOS one if you want to use any of the FiOS features like the remote app on iOS, or streaming the live TV. I tried to switch it once using a guide I found on the internet, trying to make my time capsule as the main router and I completely broke my internet and had to call Verizon to fix it. LOL

Anyone got Internet remote play to work?
I can't seem to be able to. I even opened the port in my router.

Yes, it works fine for me now. I reset my router to default settings, I statically assigned the PS4 an IP address, I put in the Verizon and Google's DNS servers in the DNS section, and I installed PS4 1.51 and I've been able to connect three times today no problems.

Edit: Also, IGN has reported that they have yet to get remote play to work over the Internet.

FlipCup

Neo Member
No worries some of these less popular internet peripherals can seem confusing

You do not need to connect to your wifi range extender via ethernet cable

I found this description to be apt for them

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2011/04/28/do-wi-fi-range-extenders-work/

I just realized though that Wi-Fi extenders are usually bad for streaming :(

i wonder if there is a way to combine a wi-fi range extender with a powerline adapter to try and eliminate potential lag

In essence for your needs it would be best to create a secondary access point with no discernible lag and therefore you would need a wired range extender

Edit: I think this is the right solution for you :) (or a similar idea)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046SQ8VW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Actually the powerline adapters above might be a good solution for most any situation wherein which people are having problems extending their wired or wireless internet to anywhere in the house

I like the idea of the powerline adapters. Instead of admitting a wi-fi signal in which the repeater then receives and rebroadcasts out, the powerline adapter will receive a direct connection then broadcast out. This should make my signal stronger. I wish it weren't so expensive.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, it works fine for me now. I reset my router to default settings, I statically assigned the PS4 an IP address, I put in the Verizon and Google's DNS servers in the DNS section, and I installed PS4 1.51 and I've been able to connect three times today no problems.

Edit: Also, IGN has reported that they have yet to get remote play to work over the Internet.

I did all that when i had my ps3 to get the remote play working over the internet and nada, it still didnt work.

Midas

Anyone successful getting Remote Play to work with the AirPort Extreme 5th gen model outside of their home network ?

I reserved the PS4 MAC address and opened up the necessary TCP and UDP ports when I am at the office the connection still can't be made.

I can't get it to work. My friend tried with my Vita at his home, my PS4 boots up but he can't seem to connect. I have the new one with AC support, not sure which "gen" it is though.

You must use the FiOS one if you want to use any of the FiOS features like the remote app on iOS, or streaming the live TV. I tried to switch it once using a guide I found on the internet, trying to make my time capsule as the main router and I completely broke my internet and had to call Verizon to fix it. LOL

That sucks. I doubt the router really does anything too special, It's probably just trying to lock you into that router

I like the idea of the powerline adapters. Instead of admitting a wi-fi signal in which the repeater then receives and rebroadcasts out, the powerline adapter will receive a direct connection then broadcast out. This should make my signal stronger. I wish it weren't so expensive.

Thanks for your help!

Yep it's a much much better solution all around. Plus if things ever change you can use the powerline adapters in different ways too.

Make sure you get the wifi model for your needs

Actually funny enough the 500 mbps one (the better version) is cheaper

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member

I'm really sensitive to this kind of stuff - so perhaps it's just me. For example, SF4 series on ps3 lags 1-2 frames behind the 360 version and I can definitely feel it.

Has anyone done an actual test to show what the input lag is? Would be interested in knowing. One easy way I could tell a difference was in Knack - when pressing the X button to jump, Knack would land slightly earlier on my TV screen, so much so that the sound of knack landing came a bit later on the Vita compared to my TV.

Still no luck with remote play...I can be doing a direct connection sitting 5 feet away from my PS4 and the connection lags out and drops within a minute. :(

Wifi works great even upstairs in my room for 1-2 minutes then drops.

Top Bottom