• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

DieH@rd

Banned
Been gaming all morning @ work on my Vita to PS4.

Assassin's Creed, NFS, resogun.

I'm not going to get shit done now, thanks Sony!

milla4neogaf9kz41.gif

kmg90

Do I need to enable uPNP for remote play on the PS4 anywhere? Right now I've got it setup with a static IP and had the ports manually forwarded on my router.

Interestingly enough, I just purchased a game on the web store and had my PS4 download it, and it created an entry in uPNP when it woke up:

8KVJwHM.png

I wonder if there will be more once I try to remote play.

Yes it does create more uPNP entries when remote play is used

roboshawn

Neo Member
I'm starting a list of titles and how they handle PSVita control. This is what I have so far. I'd be interested in what Killzone, BF4, NFS, etc do.

Note - none of the games attempt to explain their remote play buttons - even Warframe which has a different scheme compared to the others I played.

Resogun - Translates Directly*; allows button remapping

Flower - Translates Directly*; pretty simple - tilting the PSVita is just like tilting the DS4 - and pressing anything including backside causes petal acceleration (forgot to test touching the screen)

Contrast - Translates Directly*

Lego Marvel - Translates Directly*

Warframe - Overrides button mapping - There are actually two DS4 button configurations, but when playing remote play - the PSVita uses a single specific one that is unaffected by the DS4 button layout chosen (I don't know how to create tables here, so I'll just drop this in a code block)
Code:
		Normal Controls			PSVita

Abilities	Touch swipes			Front face touch swipes
Shoot		R2				RB
Fine Aim	L2				Left D-pad
Agile Mvmt	L1 (hold toggles crouch)	LB (crouch disengages on release)
Sprint		L3				bottom left backside
Melee		R1				Down D-pad

other buttons are a direct mapping

*Translates Directly - uses the button configuration you see from pressing PS button on the Vita and looking at the Button Layout image (can't screenshot this screen on the Vita); that is L2/R2 to top back corners of PSVita; L3/R3 to bottom back corners of PSVita; and the touch pad to the screen of the PSVita;

You aren't directly connecting. Direct Connection is NOT used unless PS4 is hooked up via Ethernet or if it's internet connection is off. To see if you should invest in powerline adapters, turn off your internet connection on your PS4 via the network sett is and THEN try Remote Play. I've had all of these same issues and I realized they came from not having my PS4 Internet hooked up via Ethernet. I determined direct connection worked fine when I tried turning the internet connection off on my Ps4.

Interesting. Thanks for the information! Any power line adapter you recommend? Does anyone here use one already for this? Does it work well?

Edit: wow, so this worked really well turning off the ps4 internet! I can actually play via the vita! Now I just need to test the range of it. I will still order the powerline because I can get one fairly cheap and I want the ps4 to still have an internet connection.

Add me to the list of Apple Airport Extreme users that can't get Remote Play to work over the internet.

I gave the PS4 a dedicated local IP. I have used the Airport Utility to port forward based on the ports listed here:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

No dice.

Anyone else with an Airport get it to work? Seriously considering a new AC router with uPnP for this feature. I needs it.
Still no luck here. Do you think we ought to ask Sony or Apple for tech support? Maybe a small patch or firmware update could solve the issue, if there are enough of us...

Interesting. Thanks for the information! Any power line adapter you recommend? Does anyone here use one already for this? Does it work well?

Edit: wow, so this worked really well turning off the ps4 internet! I can actually play via the vita! Now I just need to test the range of it. I will still order the powerline because I can get one fairly cheap and I want the ps4 to still have an internet connection.

Great to hear

Guess a wired connection is really the way to go regardless if internet is actually coming through

Odd

pubba

Quick question:

I just bought Killzone for PS4 but only have one controller. Can I play co-op using my 1 controller and a Vita for the 2nd player?

I've tried searching online but just get results for MP. I want to play the story mode with a friend locally. Is it possible?

jeremy1456

I was having some problems with remote play even with an Ethernet cable in. With direct connection enabled.

I was playing Knack and the Vita kept skipping frames.

BigDug13

I was having some problems with remote play even with an Ethernet cable in. With direct connection enabled.

I was playing Knack and the Vita kept skipping frames.

Did you check wifi channels and any conflicts with your wifi router's channel? Manually set the channels to be far apart to minimize interference.

japtor

No psvita deals for Black Friday on amazon ;/
eBay is going to have them for $150, maybe Amazon will match it.
Still no luck here. Do you think we ought to ask Sony or Apple for tech support? Maybe a small patch or firmware update could solve the issue, if there are enough of us...
Apple won't do anything about it unless their port forwarding is broken, and afaik it isn't.

They're not going to implement UPnP all of a sudden just for this, and otherwise Sony gives explicit instructions right there for non UPnP routers. If Sony's own instructions don't work it's their problem...and if users aren't setting up the router right then it's a user problem of course, but it doesn't sound like that's the issue here (...then again most people aren't too knowledgeable about setting up their network so who knows).

Skyrim

Banned
where the fuck do I find the list of wifi network in PS4?

I keep pressing search in Easy setup in Network with nothing.

EDIT: fixed it. if u leave ur PS4 in stand by mode and shut off ur wifi router. PS4 wants to stick to ur old wifi router SSID and doesn't want to search

CyberChulo

Oh man, remote play works like a dream. I was always blocked by the firewall for Vita to PS3 connection at work, but with the PS4, it connected on the first try. So far I spent 19 hours on AC4 and about 15 of those hours was done at "work" lol.

curb

Banned
Weird, local RP working terribly for me today. Direct connection enabled, less than 10 feet from the PS4, dropping all over the place.

Are you downloading anything in the background on your PS4? I find that if my PS4 has downloads going that it sometimes seems to mess with my RP connection.

Ashadur

Neo Member
I know this may be a weird request, but would someone be willing to test remote play from their PS4 to a UK Vita? let me know by PM. I don't think this has been tested before, could be awesome or could be bad as Sony states.

Oh man, remote play works like a dream. I was always blocked by the firewall for Vita to PS3 connection at work, but with the PS4, it connected on the first try. So far I spent 19 hours on AC4 and about 15 of those hours was done at "work" lol.

And with one small feat, the productivity of an entire nation fell to nothing :)

MattVT

Odd question here, but when playing PS4 games, how are people holding their Vitas to make best use of the rear touch pad?

In other words, are you using your index finger for both the shoulder button and the rear touch pad, or are you using your index finger for the shoulder button and your middle finger when hitting the touch pad?

I am not used to using the touch pad when playing the Vita, so I'm finding that I'm hitting it a lot unintentionally.

I after a week of messing with it, I finally got remote play working via the internet! Turns out, even though I had my PS4 connected directly to the router, I was still using WiFi. Switched my settings to a direct connection, and now it works flawlessly.

Little or no lag playing Black Flag at work via the internet!

Omlagus

Just got finished with a short session of Knack from work. I am completely amazed. 25km from home and I'm playing my PS4 at work via remote play.

Bravo Sony for this. Works way better than I would have expected. :D

So my Vita finds a PS4 wifi connection, should I connect to that instead of connecting to my home network? It's asking for a password and I have no idea what it could be. Tried my home network password and that didn't work.

Kodros

Question for you guys. I tried tethering my Vita to remote play with the ps4, but I can't get the wifi to connect to PSN. It gets the IP, finds the connection, but times out trying to sign into psn. I tried it at home with tethering and on my home WiFi so I know it wasn't a problem with PSN.

Bikola

Something's wrong with my remote play apparently. For some reason i can only use remote play for about 2 mins or so, give or take a couple of seconds, no matter where I am. I have the setting to connect directly to the ps4 and when it begins it works very well, very responsive then just starts to stutter heavily for no reason. even if im right in front of the ps4. Is anyone else experiencing this? also when i do try to reconnect, it says that connection speed of my vita might be too slow.

kmg90

So my Vita finds a PS4 wifi connection, should I connect to that instead of connecting to my home network? It's asking for a password and I have no idea what it could be. Tried my home network password and that didn't work.

Remote play is setup entirely through the PS4 Link app... Do not try connecting to the PS4 WiFi network manually

DieH@rd

Banned
Something's wrong with my remote play apparently. For some reason i can only use remote play for about 2 mins or so, give or take a couple of seconds, no matter where I am. I have the setting to connect directly to the ps4 and when it begins it works very well, very responsive then just starts to stutter heavily for no reason. even if im right in front of the ps4. Is anyone else experiencing this? also when i do try to reconnect, it says that connection speed of my vita might be too slow.

Sounds like some kind if signal degradation. Did you try to put your Vita into fixed WiFi chanel, one that is free from interference?
http://doddscientifics.com/2013/11/17/ps4-remote-play-fix/

Iorv3th

Question for you guys. I tried tethering my Vita to remote play with the ps4, but I can't get the wifi to connect to PSN. It gets the IP, finds the connection, but times out trying to sign into psn. I tried it at home with tethering and on my home WiFi so I know it wasn't a problem with PSN.

If you are getting the error "can not sign in" on your vita when turning the ps4 on there is one solution.

Unplug any USB headsets. It will for some reason try and ask who is using the headset before letting you sign in. So that stops you from signing in with your vita over remote play.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
Anyone successful getting Remote Play to work with the AirPort Extreme 5th gen model outside of their home network ?

I reserved the PS4 MAC address and opened up the necessary TCP and UDP ports when I am at the office the connection still can't be made.

I had the airport and suffered the same problem as everyone else apparently. No matter what I did, could not get it to work. I swapped it out with a Netgear Nighthawk and it seems to have cleared up the issue.

RaikuHebi

Banned
When a Vita connects to a PS4 via Remote Play can it use all the other accounts on that PS4, or is it only restricted to the same account as is on the Vita?

asdad123

I can't get this to work over the internet... My PS4 is connected via a cable, but my vita can not find it and turn it on when I'm outside. The "allow network to power console" is checked on the PS4 and it is in stand by mode.

It works perfectly fine on my home router but I can't get it to work anywhere else. For example, I'm at my girlfriends right now and it won't work. Using a Trendnet TEW-731BR router here. UPnP is enabled.

Any help? This is getting on my nerves.

SeanR1221

I can't get this to work over the internet... My PS4 is connected via a cable, but my vita can not find it and turn it on when I'm outside. The "allow network to power console" is checked on the PS4 and it is in stand by mode.

It works perfectly fine on my home router but I can't get it to work anywhere else. For example, I'm at my girlfriends right now and it won't work. Using a Trendnet TEW-731BR router here. UPnP is enabled.

Same exact thing happened to me. Tried it at a friends house tonight. Didn't work.

I can't get it to work via internet either. It just searches for PS4 and then doesn't connect.

Does anyone know how the vita chooses between the three channels when its set to auto? Is it the least interference, strongest signal etc???

Fnord

I have a pretty terrible Netgear router with UPnP disabled (and it SHOULD be disabled - seriously, UPnP is a security nightmare) and Remote Play works great.

Heratiki

I'm absolutely loving Remote Play and even while I'm at work. (especially after turning off Wifi Power Saving Mode) and now even when my kids and wife are playing I hop on and cheer them on since I'm logged on as a secondary account.

My remote play works perfectly at home, but I have yet to connect over the internet. This includes messing with my router settings a couple of times.

I've got similar issues. Remote Play in the home directly connecting from Vita to the PS4 works fantastic. But, I'm not able to connect using the internet when the PS4 is on or in standby mode. I've got all the appropriate settings ticked off and I have my PS4 in the router's DMZ. My ATT Uverse router apparently does not support UPNP so maybe that is why it is not working.

I love Remote Play. I was watching hockey earlier this evening and during the first period intermission I felt like playing Knack but I didn't want to play out in my living room and be away from my comfy bed... so I went and turned my PS4 on, went back to my room, grabbed my Vita, linked up with the PS4 and started playing Knack no problem. It just works so well and is so very, very painless. Sony did a great job with this.

The video quality takes a hit, but the controls were still very, very responsive and completely playable from a few rooms away.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
There are some media apps that are actually Remote Play compatible =D We should start a list. I can only imagine these are on purpose though... At least with Crunchyroll at the very least. They owe me.

Works
  • Crunchyroll
  • NBA Game Time

Does Not Work
  • Hulu Plus
  • Netflix

Ummmmm.... The rest I haven't/can't try. I'll try to try again later. But ima go to sleep.

WOW! It finally worked online and at my job with it's SHITTY wifi. Seriously this is amazing, I was able to stream killzone mp with a terrible connection. I don't know what I did different but I think I left direct connect to vita unchecked on the PS4. The PS4 has a static ip i.e. 192.168.1.4(it's connected to my e1200 linkys router). On the router UpNp is enabled, DMZ is not and my router dhcp range starts at 192.168.1.2.

Certinty

I've heard complaints about remote play controls on Fifa 14. Can someone confirm you can assign buttons to whatever you want and use the R trigger for sprinting (which I believe is the biggest complaint I have heard).

But that account on PS4 can play games purchased from any other account like on PS3 right? [dem US digital sales]

This is what I want to know. This will definitely push me towards creating a US account if it won't get in the way of Remote Play or multiplayer or trophies etc

sajj316

Ok, so all we need is a grip or something to combine a Vita and DS 4 controller. Just use the OLED as a screen.

Also was thinking if it's possible for grip makers like HORI to build triggers onto the back of the Vita. Click on the trigger would simulate a finger touching a quadrant.

Zoe

It doesn't need a sub account, just any account that's not your own. If you want to use the controller under your own account, sync the Vita with someone else's.

The vita becomes a controller, and you can only have one controller per player, so I don't see how this is surprising or unexpected.

Top Bottom