• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Sami+

Okay, I'm seriously confused. No idea what the issue is. My Vita says "registering...", then fails to connect locally and tries to do it by WiFi. PS4 has no response at all. Can someone try this with their systems disconnected from the internet? I can't figure out what the problem is.

melman101

Okay, I'm seriously confused. No idea what the issue is. My Vita says "registering...", then fails to connect locally and tries to do it by WiFi. PS4 has no response at all. Can someone try this with their systems disconnected from the internet? I can't figure out what the problem is.

Why do you want it disconnected from the internet?

I cannot get my PSV to connect via the internet outside of my home and I dont know what the issue might be. I have tried unchecking "connect to PS Vita directly" and still no dice. Direct connection works fine and wifi works when I am on the same network but when I try to use it at work it says "checking environment" and just times out. Any advice?

I cannot get my PSV to connect via the internet outside of my home and I dont know what the issue might be. I have tried unchecking "connect to PS Vita directly" and still no dice. Direct connection works fine and wifi works when I am on the same network but when I try to use it at work it says "checking environment" and just times out. Any advice?

exact same issue here. I might try some of the port forwarding suggestions posted here and see how that works.

Alchemy

Local connect is using WiFi, its just directly to the PS4. I don't believe you can avoid this.

Hello, GAF I have a question about PS3 -> Vita RP, hoping that someone helps me.
I've been trying to play PSOne games that are installed in PS3 through remote play in my Vita.

On the TV, when I play 2D games (such as Castlevania Chronicles and Sonic Wings), whenever the main character/ship gets hit, there's a flickering effect on the character. It's like when in Super Mario Bros. you get hit and stay invincible for a few seconds.

But when I remote play in Vita, there's no flickering effect, the character disappears instead! This makes it very difficult to control the character, because I can't see him.

Is there anyway to improve the RP quality? I've tried using the local network and through the internet, and tried changing the image quality by tapping the Vita screen, but it's always the same.

If those games run in 60fps, it could be the 'visible character' frame is being dropped, when Remote play sends out 30fps.

majik13

So is BF4 MP really playable over RP? I thought I read concerna about not enough shoulder buttons and some subtle lag. Any GAF impressions?

I am entertaining the idea of maybe getting one just for RP.

So how easy is it to play over WiFi?

Do I need to do anything special? If I go to my friends how I can just start remote play while connected to WiFi and it will auto-magically connect to my PS4?

DogMeat77

So is BF4 MP really playable over RP? I thought I read concerna about not enough shoulder buttons and some subtle lag. Any GAF impressions?

I am entertaining the idea of maybe getting one just for RP.

Playable, sure but I really wouldn't want to. You are at such a disadvantage with a poorer control scheme (back touch pad has not been fun on KZ or BF but playable) and slight input lag. I've been playing single player through remote play and I'm fine with the compromise... can't say the same for MP.

I'm going to order the Vita assist grip so maybe that will make the rear touch pad slightly more viable.

majik13

Playable, sure but I really wouldn't want to. You are at such a disadvantage with a poorer control scheme (back touch pad has not been fun on KZ or BF but playable) and slight input lag. I've been playing single player through remote play and I'm fine with the compromise... can't say the same for MP.

I'm going to order the Vita assist grip so maybe that will make the rear touch pad slightly more viable.

Thanks, yeah that is what I figured, too bad. is the back touch bad used for L1/R1 or 2 or is it swappable?

DSFan1970

Ps4 is set up in NYC. I then went to Bermuda. Strong WIfi here in Bermuda, fast connection. Did not connect though. I so wanted to play KZ remotely. Lol. Still love my vita though,

DogMeat77

Thanks, yeah that is what I figured, too bad. is the back touch bad used for L1/R1 or 2 or is it swappable?

L2 is mapped to the top left of the rear touch pad.
L3 is mapped to the bottom left of the rear touch pad.
The same goes for R2 and R3.

I haven't tried or even looking in to remapping. Regardless of control schemes though there will always be something important mapped to the rear touch pad. I'm sure nice grip will remove some of the inconvenience. I'd love if they would allow us to use a DS4 with the Vita. I know it doesn't make sense for everyone but I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

majik13

L2 is mapped to the top left of the rear touch pad.
L3 is mapped to the bottom left of the rear touch pad.
The same goes for R2 and R3.

I haven't tried or even looking in to remapping. Regardless of control schemes though there will always be something important mapped to the rear touch pad. I'm sure nice grip will remove some of the inconvenience. I'd love if they would allow us to use a DS4 with the Vita. I know it doesn't make sense for everyone but I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

ah yeah, forgot about r3/l3. Yeah being able to use the ds4 would be nice. Though then that would also cause minor issues with where and how to place the vita for viewing. But the Vita TV supports the DS4? maybe that is an option for me.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I think only developers can swap it right now. Killzone and Need for Speed games do switch control schemes automatically so that aiming and shooting is mapped to L1/R1 instead of L2/R2 like on the controller, and Need for Speed does the same swap for gas and brakes.

It's a bit confusing though because the onscreen prompt still says L1 when it wants you use the backscreen button, but it's usable. Backtouch is fine for me as long as its a button i only press once a minute instead of once a second.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Flower actually plays and looks better with remote play than natively on the device itself. And Internet browsing._

Sami+

Alright, so I was able to try again with a WiFi connection, and sure enough, it worked! I haven't tried playing a game on it yet, since I have to update, but it seems to work fine. Input is instantaneous on the TV, and only very slightly off on the Vita itself. I'm interested in seeing how it works in game.

Has anyone got it working over the internet with an airport extreme router? My searching has found tons of people not able to connect and nobody saying it works for them. I'm wondering if it just isn't compatible (it has no support for upnp but I have followed the steps to open ports etc).

Has anyone got it working over the internet with an airport extreme router? My searching has found tons of people not able to connect and nobody saying it works for them. I'm wondering if it just isn't compatible (it has no support for upnp but I have followed the steps to open ports etc).

As far as I know no one yet is having luck with Airport Extreme's either. Not matter what it looks like the Airport doesn't allow any outside connections despite opening up the required ports and allowing full access to both MAC addresses on either end.

Sami+

So I tried it again a few times for kicks, and it still seems to be working fine. I'd suggest putting it in the OP that you need WiFi when pairing your Vita and PS4. Every other time a direct link doesn't require it.

So I tried it again a few times for kicks, and it still seems to be working fine. I'd suggest putting it in the OP that you need WiFi when pairing your Vita and PS4. Every other time a direct link doesn't require it.

So for initial setup/pairing Wifi connection is needed but direct connect doesn't require it?

Tizoc

I've yet to use Remote Play, but want to ask about this scenario:
I have Crash 1-3 on my PS3.
I turn on my Vita's Wi-Fi, select Remote play while in the living room for example.
Can I access my PS3 games via the Vita or do I gotta do that via my PS3?
Finally can someone play another game on the PS3, while someone plays another game on the Vita?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Couple of questions, have asked around got redirected here.

1. Can't connect to my ps4 through wifi outside of house. I've tried plugged in and at multiple places and so far can't find my ps4. How much upload speed should I have to be sure?

2. Anybody ever had the problem where the vita connects, but you can only hear it, and all that shows is the connection error symbol? After this I'm forced to restart my ps4 or it freezes/acts funny.

VanWinkle

So ever since I hooked my PS4 up via an ethernet cable, my Remote Play is finally working really well and I'm starting to really see the light. I'm excited. Resogun is a blast with Remote Play.

Eusis

Flower actually plays and looks better with remote play than natively on the device itself. And Internet browsing._
I guess in the case of looking better it's the aforementioned super sampling, and I think the motion controls with DS4 actually work like you'd think they would rather than completely fucking backwards.

Officially giving up on this pipe dream, even if I was extremely excited to use this feature.

I've tried rebooting my router. I've tried disconnecting or turning off any other WiFi device while doing remote connection. I've tried turning off every Vita energy saving feature. I've tried both WiFi and direct connections with the PS4 and Vita. I've tried changing the router's WiFi channel. The only thing I haven't done, because I physically can't because of my setup, is connect the PS4 via Ethernet, or disable my WiFi repeater. Maybe that's the problem? Even if it is, I can't do anything about it. It just really sucks.

I can stand right in front of the PS4 with the Vita, try to connect using both the direct and over WiFi methods, and it gives connection warnings and lags/distorts the video so much.

Maybe I just have a defective PS4 or Vita. I give up.

Eusis

Officially giving up on this pipe dream, even if I was extremely excited to use this feature.

I've tried rebooting my router. I've tried disconnecting or turning off any other WiFi device while doing remote connection. I've tried turning off every Vita energy saving feature. I've tried both WiFi and direct connections with the PS4 and Vita. I've tried changing the router's WiFi channel. The only thing I haven't done, because I physically can't because of my setup, is connect the PS4 via Ethernet, or disable my WiFi repeater. Maybe that's the problem? Even if it is, I can't do anything about it. It just really sucks.

I can stand right in front of the PS4 with the Vita, try to connect using both the direct and over WiFi methods, and it gives connection warnings and lags/distorts the video so much.

If there's a lot of other wireless signals in your area that could be it, and there's programs/apps like inSSIDer on Android that'll give you information on good channels and all. Or maybe if you isolate yourself with the PS4 and the Vita in a space surrounded by bricks or something to block out other signals, whichever.

... I started getting errors again even without direct connect. I guess tehre's times of the day it's good, or I need to disable wireless on the 3DS again, but it seems this sort of thing only really takes off if you take Nintendo's obsessive single minded focus to the feature.

There are very few true scenarios where getting Ethernet to the darkest corner of your abode is impossible

Obviously it's up to you to determine if going for a better solution is worth the cost but can I suggest something like this?

Edit: I think this is the right solution for you :) (or a similar idea)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046SQ8VW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Actually the powerline adapters above might be a good solution for most any situation wherein which people are having problems extending their wired or wireless internet to anywhere in the house

There are cheaper good quality powerline adapters too obviously. The ones above simply account for practically all use cases where getting wired internet or extending wifi coverage is concerned

Obviously there is no guarantee it will fix your vita RP issues but the closer to directly wired internet to your console the better the online experience should be (online gaming, downloading etc.)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

The internet shouldn't be an issue at all... have you done ADHOC with the ps4? It should just connect directly to it.

edit-

also bumping up my last questions

Couple of questions, have asked around got redirected here.

1. Can't connect to my ps4 through wifi outside of house. I've tried plugged in and at multiple places and so far can't find my ps4. How much upload speed should I have to be sure?

2. Anybody ever had the problem where the vita connects, but you can only hear it, and all that shows is the connection error symbol? After this I'm forced to restart my ps4 or it freezes/acts funny.

There are cheaper good quality powerline adapters too obviously. The ones above simply account for practically all use cases where getting wired internet or extending wifi coverage is concerned

Obviously there is no guarantee it will fix your vita RP issues but the closer to directly wired internet to your console the better the online experience should be (online gaming, downloading etc.)

I thought about the power line solution, but what keeps me from doing that is the fact that the direct connection from the Vita to the PS4 doesn't work well at all, and why would an ethernet connection from the router to the PS4 help with that? I thought the direct connection from Vita to PS4 negates the WiFi internet stuff because the PS4 acts as the router and the Vita connects directly to it? In that case, the only thing that should matter is the distance and obstruction of the Vita to the PS4, right? But, in my case, standing a foot or two away form the PS4 with nothing to block the connection still causes connection issues.

Does the PS4 still need to route stuff through the WiFi router or Internet to do the direct connection to the Vita?

The internet shouldn't be an issue at all... have you done ADHOC with the ps4? It should just connect directly to it.

Yup. I've done the direct connection, and standing just a foot or two away form the PS4 still yields connection issues that makes everything unplayable. That's why I think it is an issue with the WiFi in the Vita (which I've never played online with and might have always had a WiFi problem that I never knew about) or the PS4 (except I can play ACIV multiplayer matches via the WiFi just fine).

I thought about the power line solution, but what keeps me from doing that is the fact that the direct connection from the Vita to the PS4 doesn't work well at all, and why would an ethernet connection from the router to the PS4 help with that? I thought the direct connection from Vita to PS4 negates the WiFi internet stuff because the PS4 acts as the router and the Vita connects directly to it? In that case, the only thing that should matter is the distance and obstruction of the Vita to the PS4, right? But, in my case, standing a foot or two away form the PS4 with nothing to block the connection still causes connection issues.

Does the PS4 still need to route stuff through the WiFi router or Internet to do the direct connection to the Vita?

Ah my mistake then

Didn't realize you were having direct connections problem as well

Dieh@rd might be better suited to suggest solutions then

That being said are you surrounded by other wifi networks (like in an apartment)?

Because the direct connection from vita to PS4 is still over wifi frequencies just a local network connection created by PS4's wifi. In essence wifi direct

Thus I imagine even direct connection can be affected by other wifi networks although the vita in your wifi could cause problems too

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried it a bit tonight, very cool, and it works very well considering the range.

I can't say it's as good as the Wii U gamepad though (and that shouldn't really be a surprise). There is a bit of latency (on the order of 20-40ms, if I had to guess), and there is some definite judder. The judder is the biggest disappointment...it's not awful, but the experience definitely isn't as smooth as playing on the console itself.

In any case, it still does work pretty damned well despite some flaws. The IQ also looks fantastic...Assassin's Creed looks great on the Vita.

edit: I noticed the judder in Killzone when spinning around. Since Killzone runs at a variable framerate and isn't locked to 30fps, I'll have to check tomorrow to see if the judder is there with Assassin's Creed. It could be that the judder is introduced when encoding the variable framerate to a constant 30fps video stream.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have been absolutely loving Remote Play on PS4. I pretty much default to it (not sure if that's a good thing...).

Yes it is.

It's a way to play games and use the system, and wether you hook it up to 46" TV, a 27" Monitor or play it on a 5" Vita as long as you're using the system and buying the games, everyone wins.

kmg90

After banging my head the past 12 or so hours of figuring out why my Vita wouldn't connect completely over internet....

It appears Remote Play over internet REQUIRES UPNP-capable/enabled router to function...

Setting up DMZ does NOT work

Setting up Port Forwarding DOES NOT WORK

Mrcapcom

Anyone have multiple Access Points in there network setup? I'm guessing that some of my issues are because of that. I stream with Zero lag when I'm at work but when i'm at home it does wierd stuff like pixelation and you can hear the audio getting messed up etc.

For some reason I think my WiFi AP's are on auto for channel ill change them all to 1/6/11 but if that doesn't work then maybe ill have a dedicated AP just for remote play and see if that works

so is the consensus here that airport extreme routers will just not work with remote play? I'm thinking about getting a vita but if this turns out to be true, I may hold off :(

Ramma2

After banging my head the past 12 or so hours of figuring out why my Vita wouldn't connect completely over internet....

It appears Remote Play over internet REQUIRES UPNP-capable/enabled router to function...

Setting up DMZ does NOT work

Setting up Port Forwarding DOES NOT WORK

Interesting. I enabled UPNP on my router, I'll have to bring my Vita into work tomorrow and give it a test.

Just got done with my first remote play via internet. WOW

There was literally no noticable lag and everything was very very playable. Nothing like the lag fest that was ps3 remote play via the psp.

Played a chapter of killzone and some resogun.

More than impressed and now have a great use for my vita other than a device that sits on the dock all the time.

Cannot wait for MLB14: The Show to come out, going to be glorious.

VanWinkle

Yup. I've done the direct connection, and standing just a foot or two away form the PS4 still yields connection issues that makes everything unplayable. That's why I think it is an issue with the WiFi in the Vita (which I've never played online with and might have always had a WiFi problem that I never knew about) or the PS4 (except I can play ACIV multiplayer matches via the WiFi just fine).

You aren't directly connecting. Direct Connection is NOT used unless PS4 is hooked up via Ethernet or if it's internet connection is off. To see if you should invest in powerline adapters, turn off your internet connection on your PS4 via the network sett is and THEN try Remote Play. I've had all of these same issues and I realized they came from not having my PS4 Internet hooked up via Ethernet. I determined direct connection worked fine when I tried turning the internet connection off on my Ps4.

kmg90

Interesting. I enabled UPNP on my router, I'll have to bring my Vita into work tomorrow and give it a test.

As a user of TomatoUSB powered router

It SHOULD work when UPNP is enabled as in testing/troubleshooting the remote play handshaking procedure... No connections were being blocked by the firewall/router with and without the PS4 being DMZ'd, I even tried static IP address which didn't solve the issue...

Finally enabled uPNP (I don't like it as it can produce funny results sometimes when I DMZ a console and the console will set some uPNP rules which actually causes ports to be blocked instead of allowed)

Researching this issue, I've noticed most users that are having issues have Apple AirPort Extreme routers...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5218964

I wonder why they wouldn't have uPNP support... /sarcasm (Because they like using their less popular bullshit bonjour protocol)

Ramma2

It SHOULD work when UPNP is enabled as in testing/troubleshooting the remote play handshaking procedure... No connections were being blocked by the firewall/router with and without the PS4 being DMZ'd, I even tried static IP address which didn't solve the issue...

Finally enabled uPNP (I don't like it as it can produce funny results sometimes when I DMZ a console and the console will set some uPNP rules which actually causes ports to be blocked instead of allowed)

Researching this issue, I've noticed most users that are having issues have Apple AirPort Extreme routers...

I wonder why they wouldn't have uPNP support... /sarcasm (Because they like using their less popular bullshit bonjour protocol)

Do I need to enable uPNP for remote play on the PS4 anywhere? Right now I've got it setup with a static IP and had the ports manually forwarded on my router.

Interestingly enough, I just purchased a game on the web store and had my PS4 download it, and it created an entry in uPNP when it woke up:

8KVJwHM.png

I wonder if there will be more once I try to remote play.

Piccoro

If those games run in 60fps, it could be the 'visible character' frame is being dropped, when Remote play sends out 30fps.
Thank you very much for the answer. So, if I understand it correctly, Vita always outputs 30fps, and when I stream a 60fps game, frames are dropped so I can't see the main character...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5218964

god damnit, wonder if theres any workaround i can do to get remote play to work using nat-pmp

Top Bottom