• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GM of Nintendo Germany: We'll see Mario Kart 8 & Smash Bros. in Spring 2014

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Eh, fair enough. It's just odd that I see 'game of the generation' an awful lot with Nintendo dudes, and the generation has only just begun. Have some faith in the future, man.

Yeah haha, its more a meme for me than meant seriously :)

NeonZ

If Smash is a spring release, I really, REALLY, hope it isn't lacking content like the stuff Brawl had. I loved break the targets, multiman brawl, event mode, co op event mode, all star mode, the vault, trophies, home run contest, boss battles, special brawl, rotation, tournament mode and stage builder.
How long has Smash been in development? A spring release sounds so rushed. : (
Wasn't Brawl a three year development?

They had a working prototype by E3 2012. Namco is bigger than GameArts (the main team for Brawl), and this game is clearly built upon the Brawl engine, not from zero.

Clefargle

Oh man, so conflicted...

I want it as soon as possible and christ knows the Wii U needs it badly, but this iteration NEEDS to be on point. I mean it MUST have snappy netcode, tons of content, and a fruitful but yet still well balanced roster. If that can be accomplished and released in under two years, I'll gladly eat crow, but I just don't see it.

They had a working prototype by E3 2012. Namco is bigger than GameArts (the main team for Brawl), and this game is clearly built upon the Brawl engine, not from zero.

Ahh kay, that makes me feel better. Melee was two years, right? And a totally new engine.
Also, I have never heard of Game Arts until just now.

Was Brawl, Sora, Hal, EAD and Game Arts? Or was there more?
I think the next direct will be in Jan. Don't we get new directs every two months? I swear there was one in November.

Some Nobody

And after that Zelda in 2015 and Wii U will die because of no new software releases yay.

If you're implying that a release slate like that would mean they have no games in 2015, then the Wii U deserves to die. Your third party relations suck. That's fine, anyone who buys a Nintendo system should know what they're in for in terms of first-party games being the major draw.

But if you can't release a steady slate of games (and I don't mean one per quarter) then what's the point?

I am sure Sony and the PS4 will come out with plenty of awesome games eventually, forcing me to pick one up, but right now, I just doesnt feel it. There are some interesting indies (that I will probably play on the PC), then The Order looked like it could be awesome - untill they showed it was another Zombie-shooter. Uncharted is always solid of course, but nothing I am buying a console over, and then there are some better versions of current gen games (that might come to PC to) like MGS, Tomb Raider and AC, and then what more is it? I guess Final Fantasy XV could be cool if they try to take it somewhat back to their roots. Anyways, it might just be that I am not that informed yet, but to me it looks way weaker than the Nintendo-list - at least according to my tastes.

There are no zombies in The Order. It's a shooter, yes, but I'm not sure why that's a curse word around these parts. But then the last shooter I played was Transformers: WFC--they aren't something I play very often. There's a whole host of games that should be released next year already forcing me to buy the PS4 early, but that's just me--and I admit most of them aren't due until later in the year.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
There are no zombies in The Order. It's a shooter, yes, but I'm not sure why that's a curse word around these parts. But then the last shooter I played was Transformers: WFC--they aren't something I play very often. There's a whole host of games that should be released next year already forcing me to buy the PS4 early, but that's just me--and I admit most of them aren't due until later in the year.

Really? I just remember the E3 demo when they got attacked after dropping out of the chariot, was sure they got attacked by zombies, but I guess im remembering it wrong. Anyways, the setting looks cool, the gameplay looks like boring shooter-fare. Nothing wrong with that, but with how many shooters that come out every year, its not something that makes me highly excited at least.

NeonZ

Ahh kay, that makes me feel better. Melee was two years, right? And a totally new engine.
Also, I have never heard of Game Arts until just now.

Was Brawl, Sora, Hal, EAD and Game Arts? Or was there more?
I think the next direct will be in Jan. Don't we get new directs every two months? I swear there was one in November.

Sora didn't exist at the time of Brawl. EAD also didn't really work on it directly (although, say, Sheik's design came from them). The development team was mainly GameArts in collaboration with Monolith Soft, Paon, HAL and various freelancers.

There's no conceivable way that smash is being released as early as spring, no matter how you look at it. This guy really needs to go back and address that statement.

My prediction:

Kart - June
Smash - November

Kimosabae

Banned
No way Smash releases in spring. They haven't even started loke testing the game yet. If that changes in the 1-2 months, then maybe there's a chance, but I doubt it.

69wpm

The Smash Bros. release was bollocks.

Update vom 11. Dezember: Wie uns heute mitgeteilt wurde handelt es sich bei der Frühjahr-Angabe für Super Smash Bros. um einen Fehler. Demnach gebe es derzeit noch keinen genaueren Starttermin als das Jahr 2014. Mario Kart 8 sei aber weiterhin für Frühjahr 2014 eingeplant.

Translation: As we were told today, the statement about the spring release for Super Smash. Bros. was a mistake. Therefore no actual date has been set except for the year 2014. Mario Kart 8 will still be released in spring 2014.

Source

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Any guesses on if there will be a December Direct? or is January the best bet?

No way they'll do a Direct this month, imho.
Btw as I was saying yesterday: they absolutely need a January direct comparable to the September 2012 one and to the January 2013 one.
In those Directs, they not only confirmed/showed already announced games, but announced or anticipated also:

Sept 12:
CoD BLOPS 2
MH Ultimate
Bayonetta 2
Warriors Orochi 2
Ken's rage 2
DQ X beta

Jan 13:
Wii Party U
Yoshi Yarn
SMT x FE
Zelda WW HD
Project X

Official anticipation of:
Kart
Smash
Mario 3D

Than we had the E3 direct, where they unveiled Smash, Kart and Mario 3D, and announced DK, showing off other videos for previously announced games (such as Bayo or X), but didn't show us neither SMT nor Yoshi

I really think that a "normal" direct, in which showing off Dk, Smash, Kart or Bayo2 would not be enough, next time.
Even including first footage of Yoshi and SMT x FE would be good, but not strong enough.

That because they should really reassure about support beyond already announced games, considering the lack of third party support.

a 2014 with:

DK
Sport Club golf and baseball
Kart
Smash
Bayo2
Project X
Yoshi
SMT x FE
Third Sonic Game (not first party, but still esclusive content, so I'm listing here for that reason)

would be good, but not enough imho. and there is also the risk to see SMT slipping into 2015, considering that we saw nothing about it (while I'm pretty confident about Yoshi being 14, aside the 3DS one for a Year of Yoshi initiative): there should be another coule of games, one for "us" and one of broader appeal (Animal Crossing Plaza and Zelda U?)

but, especially they should show support beyond that, into 2015, to reassure not only Wii U owners, but also possible people interested in the console (maybe with Kart or Smash, or at next cut price), because the weak third party support and the financial doom&gloom fuss are strong around the console itself

to do that, they should really push medium budget games (or remasters, or - and I'd vastly prerfer this - games like Battalion Wars, Luigi's Mansion, Punch Out, Excite truck, partnering with "second party" teams like Next level, ex Kuju, Monster games and so on...

maxcriden

Translation: As we were told today, the statement about the spring release for Super Smash. Bros. was a mistake. Therefore no actual date has been set except for the year 2014. Mario Kart 8 will still be released in spring 2014.

Source

Interesting, thanks for the update. I think we'll see the game in July or August at the earliest then. I don't think they would've submitted a retraction if it was coming in the Spring.

AniHawk

Eh, fair enough. It's just odd that I see 'game of the generation' an awful lot with Nintendo dudes, and the generation has only just begun. Have some faith in the future, man.

man it's really annoying when people prop up a failing system so enthusiastically huh

maxcriden

man it's really annoying when people prop up a failing system so enthusiastically huh

image.php

;)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sora didn't exist at the time of Brawl. EAD also didn't really work on it directly (although, say, Sheik's design came from them). The development team was mainly GameArts in collaboration with Monolith Soft, Paon, HAL and various freelancers.

There was a lot of Nintendo staff on the team from EAD/SPD through production, coordinators, middleware programmers, musicians and a ton of character supervisors of course. NST also handled the masterpiece mode.

Again, regarding Zelda Wii U; there is definitely a core team working on it since Skyward Sword. Mr. Hidemaro Fujibayashi looks to be directing it again with a core team that will at some point have a full production team join it to flesh out the environments and characters. No guarantee of it making Xmas 2014 though. Still looks doubtful actually considering 2 years of core development and one of full production doesn't seem like enough time.

I think only the Mario Kart and 3D World groups can pull off exact time stamps at this point. Zelda seems littered with too much experimentation and nebulous direction.

AniHawk

There was a lot of Nintendo staff on the team from EAD/SPD through production, coordinators, middleware programmers, musicians and a ton of character supervisors of course. NST also handled the masterpiece mode.

Again, regarding Zelda Wii U; there is definitely a core team working on it since Skyward Sword. Mr. Hidemaro Fujibayashi looks to be directing it again with a core team that will at some point have a full production team join it to flesh out the environments and characters. No guarantee of it making Xmas 2014 though. Still looks doubtful actually considering 2 years of core development and one of full production doesn't seem like enough time.

I think only the Mario Kart and 3D World units can pull off exact time stamps at this point. Zelda seems littered with too much experimentation and nebulous direction.

wasn't skyward sword pretty much finished in early 2011 though? is it possible that pre-production on the wii u game started almost 3 years ago?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
wasn't skyward sword pretty much finished in early 2011 though? is it possible that pre-production on the wii u game started almost 3 years ago?

Well I am going to assume. 2011-2013 Core Development. Wind Waker HD and 3DS art staff join now for full production. Even if it finished "early 2011", I am going to assume there was some final post-production and crunch and then these guys do go on vacation after a game. It's EAD protocol.

AniHawk

i think last year's january direct was something of a one-off. nintendo usually doesn't announce games that are 18+ months away, and they went ahead and announced x, smt x fe, wii u zelda (which we knew was coming but they still talked about the design), yarn yoshi, and mario kart. if they do anything similar this year, we'll be taking a glimpse into 2015, surely.

i feel it was a reaction to the absolutely shocking sales they saw in december. it's fairly uncharacteristic for them to show games that far off. the whole nintendo direct-instead-of-an-e3-conference probably owed a lot to the spoiling of games from january's event.

since then, it seems that whenever they revealed something new, it was out later that year, or at least very soon- like the turnaround on kirby for 3ds being announced in october and releasing in january. the only ones still kinda floating around are mario golf and yoshi's new island.

takriel

Early pre-production started as soon as the concept ideas for the Wii U console came up. Iwata stated that Mario and Zelda games are always considered when creating a new console. So they must have had some ideas for Zelda in mind when creating the GamePad. That said, real work consisting of a core team most likely started after Skyward Sword's release, and the bigger production team joined them after ALBW's release. So it's definitely a possiblity that the game launches in late 2014, depending on how smooth the development went until now. Seeing as how Skyward Sword was pretty much welcomed by Miyamoto from the start and there was no "upending the tea-table"-moment, and if this is any indication for the Zelda U game, we might see it rather sooner than later.

Mariolee

There's no conceivable way that smash is being released as early as spring, no matter how you look at it. This guy really needs to go back and address that statement.

My prediction:

Kart - June
Smash - November

Nope. Gonna say

Mario Kart - April
Smash - May

Nintendo going for that one-two punch.

NeonZ

I'm not sure. It clearly wasn't an official announcement. They'd never intend to reveal Smash Bros' launch date through Nintendo Germany. So, a retraction is pretty natural even if the date is correct.

GAMERG0D

Source
A lot of sites picked up on the news. I'm not surprised at the damage control.

soxxx

Banned
Awesome news if true, it looks like Nintendo is going to go hard in 2014 to rescue the Wii U.

Makes sense, its cheaper to invest in getting these games completed rather than release a new console.

Lumyst

i feel it was a reaction to the absolutely shocking sales they saw in december. it's fairly uncharacteristic for them to show games that far off. the whole nintendo direct-instead-of-an-e3-conference probably owed a lot to the spoiling of games from january's event.

Ah, so that was the reason for that Jan. 23 Nintendo Direct! Though a "big blowout" didn't seem to make a big difference in the console's sales trajectory, unfortunately, it wasn't a matter of people holding off because they were waiting for bigger first party titles. So I don't expect them to do another one like that this January unless it's to appease the current owners, who already know what to expect. I'd rather they focus on showing more of what's closer to release, like focusing on Donkey Kong and Mario Kart for the time being, so that current owners will be driven to buy more games that are to be currently out rather than wait for something down the line.

Riki

Ah, so that was the reason for that Jan. 23 Nintendo Direct! Though a "big blowout" didn't seem to make a big difference in the console's sales trajectory, unfortunately, it wasn't a matter of people holding off because they were waiting for bigger first party titles. So I don't expect them to do another one like that this January unless it's to appease the current owners, who already know what to expect. I'd rather they focus on showing more of what's closer to release, like focusing on Donkey Kong and Mario Kart for the time being, so that current owners will be driven to buy more games that are to be currently out rather than wait for something down the line.
The January Direct was less about increasing sales and more about trying to passify investors by saying they still have big games in the works and aren't giving up on the system.

Lumyst

The January Direct was less about increasing sales and more about trying to passify investors by saying they still have big games in the works and aren't giving up on the system.

Oh was there an investors thing going on in January? I was surprised to find that the reports regarding the business side of Nintendo could be as entertaining as Nintendo Directs! I recall Nintendo's promise to investors was for a steady stream of first party software up until Christmas to drive sales of the WiiU, starting with Lego City: Undercover, but alas here we are. What will they tell investors? It's good that they saved the 2DS until October, so they have something to show investors about trying to drive sales in the West. They also stealth released the 2DS in South Africa, and were going to talk about emerging markets later on.

And on topic, I'd say it's a good thing Smash Bros. is on 3DS, the 3DS needs a big game to keep users engaged. It will be interesting to see which is released first, U or 3DS.

Some Nobody

Interesting, thanks for the update. I think we'll see the game in July or August at the earliest then. I don't think they would've submitted a retraction if it was coming in the Spring.

Not necessarily. Nintendo tends to play things close to the vest. They haven't officially announced a release date yet, so they don't want an unofficial one sneaking out either.

D-e-f-

Banned

OOOOH.gif

If there is no ND this week or next week, we will have to wait til Jan. no way they do one during Christmas week

Not in the West they won't. :)

Nintendo Direct
December 27, 2011
(Bravely Default, Spirit Camera reveal, etc)

Chotto Nintendo Direct - Dragon Quest X
December 19, 2012

Been saying for months that there'll be one in December this year and that it might be Japan-only again. But there'll be something. Just don't expect "the big one" to hit this month.

So a repeat of Wii in 2008? March was smash bros. April was Mario kart.

And remember how the year ended?

medium_loldrumss1slm.gif

APOCALYPSE CONFIRMED!

Neff

With regard to the game of the generation thing, I'm quite happy to go on board as saying that, considering its pedigree against games past and present, Wonderful 101 is absolutely potentially a game of this generation.

I'm expecting Smash to be released in Spring 2015 at the earliest.

This is after a couple of delays. Yes I'm still a little salty about Brawl getting delayed twice in North America.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh was there an investors thing going on in January? I was surprised to find that the reports regarding the business side of Nintendo could be as entertaining as Nintendo Directs! I recall Nintendo's promise to investors was for a steady stream of first party software up until Christmas to drive sales of the WiiU, starting with Lego City: Undercover, but alas here we are.

There's "investor things" every quarter.

And re: steady software stream: that's exactly what happened, though (except in May).
(first party only)
March: Lego City (US/EU)
April: Game & Wario (JP), Pokémon Rumble U (JP eShop), Wii U Panorama View (WW eShop)
May: -no first party, third party releases only-
June: Game & Wario (US/EU), NSLU (WW eShop)
July: Pikmin 3 (EU/JP), NSLU (JP/EU-retail), Lego City (JP)
August: Pikmin 3 (US), The Wonderful 101 (EU/JP), NSLU (US-retail), Pokémon Rumble U (US/EU eShop), Art Academy: SketchPad (WW eShop), Animal Crossing Plaza (WW eShop), Earthbound (EU/US VC debut!)
September: The Wonderful 101 (US), Wind Waker HD (JP/US eShop)
October: Wind Waker HD (US/EU retail), Wii Party U (WW), Wii Sports Club (eShop), Rayman Legends (JP - Ninty published), Wii Karaoke U (EU eShop)
November: Mario & Sonic @ Sochi Olympics (US/EU), Super Mario 3D World (WW), Wii Fit U (WW eShop)
December: Mario & Sonic @ Sochi Olympics (JP), Scribblenauts Unlimited (EU - Ninty published), Wii Fit U (EU retail)

Top Bottom