• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

mildewproduction

So I got my 360 back and it's the same one I had before. Same serial number. But the DRM is BROKEN! WTF. I thought if you got your same 360 back this DRM problem wouldn't happen. Crap.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
FirstInHell said:
She then asks me if there is anything else she can do to help. I tell her that I am aggravated and she did not even help me in the first place. She apologizes and considers my BBB case "resolved"

Man, this is some bullshit right here. So filing a complaint does nothing but have them call you, assure you they've done everything they can, and just close it out, even though you aren't satisfied? I guess I don't understand what a BBB complaint is supposed to accomplish, but this is asinine. I was considering filing one when mine dies next time, but it sounds like a waste of time.

Does MS take some hit of some sort when you file these, even though they can just mark them as "resolved"?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Zack-Morris said:
There is a great thread going on at the Consumerist for those that are interested in continuing their airing of greivances (myself included):

http://consumerist.com/355519/microsoft-has-no-answer-for-their-broken-xbox-live-drm

I really need to stop reading these articles. This DRM bullshit is infuriating! I'm in the same boat, but so far haven't been too badly affected, since my Net connection is up most all the time. However, a few times my wife hasn't been able to play Puzzle Fighter when Live wasn't working correctly.

Big Nate said:
I really need to stop reading these articles. This DRM bullshit is infuriating! I'm in the same boat, but so far haven't been too badly affected, since my Net connection is up most all the time. However, a few times my wife hasn't been able to play Puzzle Fighter when Live wasn't working correctly.

Yeah, my girlfriend is pretty pissed that she can't play half of our downloadable games. I actually got a call the other day saying that my MS points have finally been refunded to the specified silver account, only they refunded them to a Gamertag I have never heard of before. This resulted in another few hours of phone time with their lovely representatives over in India, who asked me to spell "CHICAGO" and "ILLINOIS" for the 50th time. I have zero confidence in Microsoft ever solving the problem.

BillyBobX

BillyBobX said:
The customer service tech I talked to said since this is my third they would expedite the shipping and repair. Bah, whatever.

Just an update to this.. I guess the rep wasn't BSing me when they said they'd expedite it because I got a box in 1 day (FedEx overnight) with an overnight label to the repair center, and then the repair center overnighted the repaired console back to me (same serial number, but working fine now).

Was only about 1 week total from when I called to when I got it back repaired! If I knew it was going to be this fast, I wouldn't have bought a second one (but at least I scored a Falcon Elite).

--
BBX

RPS37

Goreomedy said:
Hm... my repair status has disappeared from Microsoft's service site. It did have a status of "received at service center" since Thursday. But now, it's as if I never registered a system for repair.

For those who tracked their repairs, is this typical for the tail end of the process? Or has Microsoft fucked this up too?

If I can avoid speaking with an Indian call center this morning, that would be great.

You should be fine. There's probably a little lag between switching over your serial number (and fucking up your DLC).
All I remember is that I kept checking the status and then eventually the serial number had changed.

Here's my story thus far:

1st 360

Picked it up on launch day. Waited outside for it for nearly a day and gamed on it happily for over a year. In January 2007 though, it bit the dust. I waited a month to get it back, and when I did it was GAME ON!

2nd 360

It was moving along all fine and well until November. It started freezing during Mass Effect, Orange Box, skate, and more recently Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4. The entire time it's been dirty disc errors and freezing. And I'm not talking regular old single-player freezing - I'm talking CoD4 online sabatoge with ten seconds left in the match, i'm diffusing the bomb, two seconds from the diffuse, game-ending freezes. That was the freeze before the 360-killer.

Loads upon loads of "not so much" combined into one moment. I have no doubt that my gamertag rating went down due to that, lol.

Funny thing is that I called Xbox Support last Friday complaining about the constant freezing, and during the call it froze three times. Wasn't a good sign to me, but the rep was certainly convinced that it would be fine.

[sarcasm]Yay.[/sarcasm]

So I called Sunday and the coffin is on it's way to carry my recently deceased 360 to the land of repairs...

Here's hoping I get a 360 with the Falcon chipset & HDMI when I send it back...

Mairu

Posted 02-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Mairu said:
Me too! My launch 360 is still going strong!

Today
sadface.jpg

:(

After a long night of Burnout Paradise I slept and woke up to continue again some more Burnout. Unfortunately my 360 was burned out :(

Big Nate said:
Man, this is some bullshit right here. So filing a complaint does nothing but have them call you, assure you they've done everything they can, and just close it out, even though you aren't satisfied? I guess I don't understand what a BBB complaint is supposed to accomplish, but this is asinine. I was considering filing one when mine dies next time, but it sounds like a waste of time.

Does MS take some hit of some sort when you file these, even though they can just mark them as "resolved"?

They really have no power or desire to do anything. They just reiterate the warranty and try to convince you that they did everything they could to resolve the issue and get you back a "working" console. Apparently repeatedly sending consoles to consumers that fail within months is acceptable to them and the BBB. Apparently a shoddy product and repair process is not enough to warrant a substantial complaint.

The only thing that it could potentially do for you is expedite the repair process in an effort to get rid of you. A company like Microsoft does not seem to like having unresolved BBB complaints sitting around. I forgot to mention that while the coffin and return receipt were UPS Ground, the console came backj to me Fed Ex two day or something. It is a possibility that they upgraded my shipment back because I filed the BBB complaint while the repair was going on.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So it looks like I'm back in this thread once more, unfortunately. My console red-ringed tonight while watching a DVD. I'm really fucking angry right now. I guess I'll have to call MS then.

(Here we go again)

michaeld

Banned
Is there a cheaper fix than what MS offers for replacing a dvd drive? Every time I go to play Rock Band it says the disc needs to be put in a 360. Also my disc tray will not open unless I tap on it. I called MS and they told me 99 bucks.

Victrix

*beard*
Not trying to start a flame war, but does anyone else think that the persistent nature of the 360s dying may help Sony in a significant way when people sick of their 360 dying go out and buy a PS3?

I'm terrified of my 360 dying, I've already had it give me 'unreadable disc' errors on COD4 and I just bought the damn thing brand new a few months ago.

Victrix said:
Not trying to start a flame war, but does anyone else think that the persistent nature of the 360s dying may help Sony in a significant way when people sick of their 360 dying go out and buy a PS3?

I'm terrified of my 360 dying, I've already had it give me 'unreadable disc' errors on COD4 and I just bought the damn thing brand new a few months ago.

8auhgkx.gif

You could have a point. I am probably going to get a PS3 anyway when the price drops to 299.99. However a few more rounds of this horseshit and I would be more inclined to buy games for my PS3 knowing it is the more reliable console.

I also want to note that the latest (4th) 360 I have is the first console that that includes the new heatsink coming off of the GPU. It may be my imagination, but the back of the console feels cooler than all of the previous units have been. It is still warm, but not absurdly hot like the others have been.

clav

FirstInHell said:
8auhgkx.gif

You could have a point. I am probably going to get a PS3 anyway when the price drops to 299.99. However a few more rounds of this horseshit and I would be more inclined to buy games for my PS3 knowing it is the more reliable console.

I also want to note that the latest (4th) 360 I have is the first console that that includes the new heatsink coming off of the GPU. It may be my imagination, but the back of the console feels cooler than all of the previous units have been. It is still warm, but not absurdly hot like the others have been.
That's a bad thing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9400539&postcount=528

i know im late but i wanna join in on the misery. my launch console died right before christmas. and u know whats the best part? i had just bought like 3 360 games that day. i turned the 360 on and got owned.

i got mines back but now whenever i play cod4 for some reason the dvd drive sounds like a fucking lawnmower. i gotta turn the volume up real loud to drown it out

fuckin microsoft man.

Knox

My launch 360 finally ate it. Half inevitable, half "I never thought it would happen to me" kinda moment. It was fine the night before, then the next day I turned it on and it was dead. Coffin is on it's way.

My friend has offered to buy the replacement from me, so I want to upgrade to an elite with the 65nm chip. I went looking today but all I could find were arcade units (and only a handful of those). Guess I'll hold off on the hunt until after GDC on the off chance they announce a new SKU.

michaeld said:
Is there a cheaper fix than what MS offers for replacing a dvd drive? Every time I go to play Rock Band it says the disc needs to be put in a 360. Also my disc tray will not open unless I tap on it. I called MS and they told me 99 bucks.
Yeah, tell them it has intermittent RRoD and that games are failing to load from disc. If you're lucky they'll fix both.

Knox said:
My launch 360 finally ate it. Half inevitable, half "I never thought it would happen to me" kinda moment. It was fine the night before, then the next day I turned it on and it was dead. Coffin is on it's way.

My friend has offered to buy the replacement from me, so I want to upgrade to an elite with the 65nm chip. I went looking today but all I could find were arcade units (and only a handful of those). Guess I'll hold off on the hunt until after GDC on the off chance they announce a new SKU.
why would he buy a replacement?

btf1980

Well, it has happened again. Microsoft can kiss my ass. I'm done for good. 5 dead 360's is all I can take, no more.

Anyway, I have a Bestbuy replacement plan, and I went to replace the dead 360 for a new one. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it because I was (still am) pissed at Microsoft. I would have probably given it away as a gift to one of my nephews. I get there, and they said that they can't exchange it because I have already done 3 exchanges, but they can give me a giftcard for what I paid for it. I paid $399.99 for it since it was before the pricedrop. So they gave me a giftcard of almost $440 since they included tax. It would have been cheaper just to give me a new 360. What a bunch of morons at Bestbuy.

btf1980 said:
I paid $399.99 for it since it was before the pricedrop. So they gave me a giftcard of almost $440 since they included tax. It would have been cheaper just to give me a new 360. What a bunch of morons at Bestbuy.
Awesome. :lol

mildewproduction

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I didn't know this. I thought my DRM was dead, cause I got my 360 back, but it's not dead, I just have to delete all my Marketplace content (Arcade Games, Shivering Isles, Rockband Songs) then re-download it off of Marketplace.

I did that and all the DRM problems are fixed. I can unplug my 360 from the network and still have access to all my arcade games. Other players can sign into my 360 and they have access to it all as well.

Now I did get my same 360 back, it has the same serial number and date as the one I sent in, so it must be the same box. It's strange though that the DRM would be broken.

Beyond my geek knowledge, but might be helpful for any of you the run into the same problem.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
mildewproduction said:
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I didn't know this. I thought my DRM was dead, cause I got my 360 back, but it's not dead, I just have to delete all my Marketplace content (Arcade Games, Shivering Isles, Rockband Songs) then re-download it off of Marketplace.

I did that and all the DRM problems are fixed. I can unplug my 360 from the network and still have access to all my arcade games. Other players can sign into my 360 and they have access to it all as well.

Now I did get my same 360 back, it has the same serial number and date as the one I sent in, so it must be the same box. It's strange though that the DRM would be broken.

Beyond my geek knowledge, but might be helpful for any of you the run into the same problem.
Didn't work for me. I did it twice with the "helpful" support rep.

Never thought I would be posting in this thread............

noway.jpg

Happend while I was playing Frontlines MP demo. I'm in a state of shock right now...damn.

Dave Long

Banned
mildewproduction said:
I'm pretty sure that's why it worked. If you had gotten a different box, you would've been screwed.

It's chart update time! Will post this disclaimer from my last post:

These numbers wont match up to the list post simply because unless I could tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you weren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

2rxzfhw.png

Mostly non refurbs dying this month, though sadly still far too many refurb failures.

In the figures so far are 1055 dead / replaced 360s, 3 of which were falcon models (rs7k got 3 machines with bad drives from a store).

I am going to have to call these fucking assholes at MS up tomorrow. Since I got my FOURTH fucking console back I had been getting intermittent disk read errors. Also note that the eject button on the DVD drive only works 50% of the time.

I am an hour and a half after my last save in Lost Odyssey and while watching a cutscene I get a disk read error. At this point I want to fucking throw this piece of shit out the window. I calm down a bit and hope that it is a fluke and play the lost hour of gametime. I get to the same point and what happens.....Disk Read Error.

I bought this fucking game in the store and it went from the case into the 360. This disk is not scratched or smudged whatsoever.

Are these morons going to give me a hard time about this?
If they do, I am officially writing this console off and selling off every game I have ever bought for this thing. I am willing to deal with the inconvenience of the RROD every now and then, but they essentially made me wait 3 weeks to send me a broken console. When this starts to impact the games I am playing everything ceases to be fun. They can take this console and shove it up their asses.

The bottom line is that they essentially do nothing to help you even after you have been through this multiple times. There is no accountability for anything and there is no recourse for us the consumer. Complaining and filing a BBB complaint does nothing but get you lip service.

The recourse for customers is to stop taking it up the ass by Microsoft. I am fucking done with this shit.

I think that the community reps or whoever MS sends to read message boards to take the "pulse" of the internet needs to pay attention: There was not a bigger supporter of this hardware than I was. I have convinced many people to buy this system, purchased over 30 60 dollar games, paid for tons of DLC, and a bought a shitload of accessories. I also had 3 failed consoles and I still supported it. How do I feel now? I feel like making it my life's work to make sure everyone knows;

What a horseshit operation Microsoft is running at their repair centers.
What a clusterfuck of epic failure this hardware is
How Microsoft could give two shits about its customers
How the 360 as a gaming platform just isn't worth the time, money, or trouble

I'll report in with the results of my call to customer service tomorrow. Either way I think I am going to explore other avenues as it pertains to gaming.

SleazyC

My old 360 had some DRE errors that would pop up a ton as well and my new one seems to do the same thing. I hesitated to check off that I was getting DRE's when I sent in my old 360 because I was afraid they would charge me for fixing it. Either way it's just something I learn to live with.

What I am pissed off about is that my neighbors 360 he lent me scratched the shit out of my Mass Effect to the point where I can't play it anymore. Oh well.

FirstInHell said:
I'll report in with the results of my call to customer service tomorrow. Either way I think I am going to explore other avenues as it pertains to gaming.
Don't blame you. Good luck with CS, though knowing them by reputation I doubt you're going to have any joy.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
MY 360 RROD'd today.

I got my 360 in early 2006, and at the time there wasn't the three year RROD warranty so I got the Best Buy 3 year one.

Which warranty do I use? I've got a lot of XBLA games. Like 30 or so.

McLovin

My cousins 360 red ringed a few days ago. But it was actually a good thing. His 360 was cracking all of his discs.. it got so bad that he started buy multiplatform games for his ps3 out of fear of having the dvds crack on him. Hopefully they will send him a refurb with a working dvd drive.

Tedesco!

My Xbox red ringed me just a few minutes ago....

This was a launch unit. I've had it since day 1. I am surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Now begins the long customer service journey.....

On my 3rd 360 here but this time my disk tray keeps ejecting and sometimes it doesn't come out all the way. Anyone know why this is and yea I called MS and box is on it's way.

J-Rzez

Wow, FirstinHell, that's just crazy. I've been lucky enough to have problems only once, but wow at your story. I would re-open your complaint or supplement it, telling them your product issues were not resolved though the rep said they were. If you're really frustrated, you should document everything, and send it to major media outlets, one of them is bound to pick it up.

Actually, I'd suggest everyone do the same, email the same publications that these problems have not been resolved and you're tired of the frustrations. And that MS CS is a joke. It's the only way to get MS to actually FIX the problem, rather then extend it. And with this kind of failure rate, you have to wonder how they weren't court ordered to remove their product from the shelves.

Dural

I receieved a replacement 360 yesterday and to my surprise the build date is Jan. 08, but it doesn't have an hdmi connector.

Xapati

mildewproduction said:

If you get the same box back, then deleting and redownloading works.

I spent over an hour on the phone with MS support today.

As calmly as possible I tried to explain my problem:

With my refurbished 360 (my 4th one received last Friday) at random times in the middle of a game I will get "The disk is unreadable" errors. It does not matter what game it is. This happened with Burnout, Lost Odyssey and some other game I cannot remember. This really killed me in Lost Odyssey because I was at a certain points in the game where there may be an hour of playtime between save points. After I calmed down I tried again and the disk error popped up at the same exact point in a cutscene. I then tried to get past this section with my spare Core console. Lo and behold I get past the part without a hitch. With any of my previous 3 consoles, I have never encountered this type of error before.

I explained to the rep that this unacceptable because:

1. They sent me a broken console
2. Each of the four consoles I have owned has lasted shorter than the last one, interestingly enough the launch 05 unit lasted the longest while the consoles from their "repair" centers have gotten worse and worse.
3. As a customer who has been through this over and over I feel shafted. Microsoft spends millions of dollars to get new customers but treats its existing ones like absolute shit.

The rep seems surprised that this will be my fourth repair and puts me on hold for 6 minutes. As he is ready to transfer me, he hangs up on me. At this point I wanted to fucking kill someone. I dial the number again and yell all sorts of colorful words at "Max" so I can get right to a person.

I finally get to a supervisor and surprisingly he is American. I tell him what I told the other reps that I am fed up and I am tired of getting dicked around over and over again. He says he is getting me in tough with a "repair specialist" who will be able to pull more strings for me since I am so upset.

I am not sure what a "repair specialist" can do for me, but it is kind of telling that a Microsoft even has this position. In any event, I am going to reopen or update my BBB complaint because it has not been addressed.

This will be the last time I go through this nonsense. Now I have to wait around for someone to call me after already being on the phone with support for over an hour.

I wish I can get in touch with my MS BBB caseworker and tell her to go fuck herself after she was so condescending and patronizing to me when I expressed concern to her how I was not feeling like I was going to get a "working" console back from their joke of a repair center.

Pimpbaa

Dural said:
I receieved a replacement 360 yesterday and to my surprise the build date is Jan. 08, but it doesn't have an hdmi connector.

Hopefully they will start doing this for everyone with failed 360s. Odd tho that a unit so recently manufactured has no hdmi.

Why are people receiving 08 models from the repair center while I am on my FOURTH broken 360 and I am getting models from 2006? What a joke.

Here is my ongoing BBB Complaint:

Original BBB Complaint said:
I have been a loyal Xbox 360 customer since the product launched in 2005. Currently, I have just had my THIRD console break. Each time I have had my console repaired, I have received a refurbished unit from the repair center. Neither of these refurbished units have lasted as long as the original unit I bought in 2005. I am infuriated at the fact that Microsoft is sending out units that appear to be less reliable than the units that are purchased in stores. Further compounding my frustration is the amount of time it seems to be taking for my repair to be processed. The repair box that was sent to me is UPS Ground and I am assuming that my "repair" will also be sent to me the slowest (cheapest) way possible. I have yet to receive any type of confirmation that anything is even being done with my repair. How long will it take? When can I expect to have my $400 console back? Why hasn't anyone from the company contacted me with the status? They have both my e-mail address and phone number. I have invested a great deal in money in Xbox software and have no system to play it on. The turnaround time is unacceptable. Sending me another "broken" unit ensuring I have to endure this process again is unacceptable.

MS Response said:
2/12/2008

RE: Your complaint to the Better Business Bureau

Case Number: XXXXXXXXX

Dear XXXXXX,

A copy of your report filed with the Better Business Bureau of Oregon & Western Washington regarding your Xbox Video Game System has been forwarded to Microsoft.

Our records indicate, that we contacted you by phone on the 8th of February in regards to your Xbox console. We understand that your Xbox console was recently delivered.
This issue is now resolved.

Thank you for your continued support of Microsoft Xbox gaming platform.

If you have any further concerns regarding this issue, please contact 1-800-4MY-XBOX and use ticket number: XXXXXXX. Otherwise we will consider this issue closed.

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamb
Xbox Customer Support
Microsoft Corporation

cc: Better Business Bureau of Oregon and Western Washington

My BBB Followup said:
Your response is absolutely absurd. A representative contacted me on the 8th, and informed me that a console was delivered. However, they never checked with me afterwards that it was a working console. This “repaired” Xbox has given me nothing but problems. I now am experiencing disk read errors at random times in different games. I cannot play games for any length of time, because the console stops reading them. I cannot “enjoy my experience” with Xbox because I never know when my game is going to stop in the middle of playing it. Furthermore this "refurbished" unit is of the poorest quality. It has a slight dent on the top of the case and the eject button on the disc tray does not reliably open every time I press it. I also did not enjoy removing the black sticky “tape like” residue that was on the top of the console when it shipped to me. I find it funny (can this be anything but a joke?) that this is the exact thing I expressed concern over in both my original complaint and to the person from your company who contacted me. I knew this was going to happen, but I at least thought Microsoft would have made even a half hearted effort to make sure this was actually resolved as opposed to being overanxious to close out my BBB case.

rrod.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Christ, FirstInHell, that's just retarded. I really hope this gets resolved for ya. I'm on my 4th, which has so far been solid, yet has gotten progressively more noisy over the last month or so.

If it dies, I'll calmly call for a coffin, get a repaired 360 back, and put it up on ebay, never to buy another Microsoft hardware product again.

J-Rzez

Wow First, that's probably the worst story I've ever heard of people going through warranty repairs on anything before in my life. I feel bad for you. But keep pressing on with the BBB on this subject, don't just deal with MS, especially how they treated you. If no one fights this, and thinks the 3 year warranty is acceptable as a trade off still, there's something wrong somewhere.

Just keep reopening the BBB case, and tell them how MS said they remedied the situation which was even worse.

Top Bottom