• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 1-3 being re-released on 3DS in Japan

oti

Banned
Here's what Capcom Germany told me (translated):

"At this point, we don't have concrete plans to release the game in the west."

(I misread the mail, so I edited it. No dice it seems, for now at least.)

WHEN I TELL YOU IM NOT READY FOR AA3 IN 3D

RAPvSkC.gif

but budget price pls

Eusis

I doubt they'll do a physical release of this outside Japan, it would make no sense after AA5 was digital only.
Well, part of it for AA5 was to get it out here ASAP, and they may even have considered they just made a bad judgement call after seeing the online reactions. If sales were really, really good I can see them going with it, especially with the value angle that you get 3 games for $30 or $40.

But I imagine we will see it digital at a minimum, I just doubt it's too far fetched to see it physical too.

Koppai

I have a Japanese 3DS but not an XL, I could always import but since I own them all already I see no point. Nintendo Direct will be coming soon so I bet we will hear about Layton vs Phoenix Wright! :)

chadi

Will import for my JP 3DS even though I already have the DS trilogy. Hope it doesn't look like the iOS version.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd totally be fine with eShop releases if they were split up & had a bundle offer. I'm more interested in playing 2 & 3 since I already revisited the first game back when I got it as a pre-order bonus for Ghost Trick.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I held off buying the DS one because I suspected that Capcom would do this, but I eventually broke down and brought Phoenix Wright 1 goofed up and brought Phoenix Wright 3 so I when and brought Phoenix Wright 1. And to top it off Capcom announce this.

DUuuuuuuuuuck! >_<;

High resolution killed the HD collection, you know that right? The game looks horrible.

High resolution didn't kill it. A Shitty attempt at redoing the art made it terrible.

Ace attorney 1-3 with AA5 type models would be amazing, but it's probably only going to minor graphical upgrades if any.

A full AA5-style remake would have been interesting. Straight ports are not, though I'm always surprised to see people lose their minds over the opportunity to buy the same game over and over again.

A full AA5-style remake would have been interesting. Straight ports are not, though I'm always surprised to see people lose their minds over the opportunity to buy the same game over and over again.

Do you honestly feel an AA5 style remake WOULD be worth it? The game is all about it's story and characters... a graphic boost wouldn't change that.

SmokyDave

You mean the bad looking, laggy, inferior audio iOS version ?
I'd say it was evident from my post that I didn't feel it was bad looking.

It's cool though, you don't have to like it. I just found that dudes post a bit weird. Of course the 3DS version won't look like the iOS version. For better or worse, it couldn't.

How long would prepping a collection like this for a Western release typically take? I wanna know how long I should hold out hope for before potentially declaring the game a loss to goddamn region locking bullshittery.
:/

You mean the bad looking, laggy, inferior audio iOS version ?

God I found the visuals on the mobile version revolting.

I ask again since it seemed to get lost in the shuffle... Did the android versions ever even get released yet? I tried searching but I can't find them and only find some online articles that say it was delayed...

Timeless

What Ace Attorney fans want
Ace Attorney 1-3 remade in 3D using the AA5 engine

What Capcom will give them
Ace Attorney 1-3 remade in layered 2D effects using the "squeeze money out of old games" engine... also it will have DLC and only be sold digitally outside of Japan.

I'm calling it.

(Also I'd pay $20 x 3 for each game to be remade in 3D. Since some of the models were already created for AA5 I think that's an appropriate price.)

I ask again since it seemed to get lost in the shuffle... Did the android versions ever even get released yet? I tried searching but I can't find them and only find some online articles that say it was delayed...
I don't remember them ever being announced for not-Japan. Android AA 1-3 HD has been out in Japan for around a year.

FluxWaveZ

What Ace Attorney fans want
Ace Attorney 1-3 remade in 3D using the AA5 engine

What Capcom will give them
Ace Attorney 1-3 remade in layered 2D effects using the "squeeze money out of old games" engine... also it will have DLC and only be sold digitally outside of Japan.

I'm calling it.

Come on, anyone sane knows that the first point is more than a bit unrealistic.

Do you honestly feel an AA5 style remake WOULD be worth it? The game is all about it's story and characters... a graphic boost wouldn't change that.

Worth it for me, personally? Probably not, as I've already played those games. But refreshing those titles for a new audience would've been interesting.

GSR

(Also I'd pay $20 x 3 for each game to be remade in 3D. Since some of the models were already created for AA5 I think that's an appropriate price.

...Not really? I'm pretty sure the only model in AA5 they could reuse would be Phoenix in his classic suit.

And again: though DD-style remakes of the games would be spectacular to look at, that's resources Capcom probably doesn't want to sink when they're busy working on a new AA title. It's true DD's development took care of the core engine/style, but that's still a lot of assets they'd need to redo.

Also: AA Japanese blogger hoso_boso confirms the graphics are based off of the artbook, like the iOS versions. There don't seem to be any other interface changes (eg. profiles/evidence on the bottom screen are setup like in the DS games).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still sour that Capcom never localized AAI 2. What the hell, man. AAI is my favorite in the series outside of the original trilogy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Where are my Famitsu scans?

Or better, where are the screens? Famitsu already started updating with this week's issue stuff, but nothing on AA123 yet. Why.

Also: AA Japanese blogger hoso_boso confirms the graphics are based off of the artbook, like the iOS versions. There don't seem to be any other interface changes (eg. profiles/evidence on the bottom screen are setup like in the DS games).
:\ Using the concept art would be fine if they actually put some work into overhauling the visuals of the game.

Drago

Hm, was wondering about this so it's nice to see confirmation.

Hopefully it translates better to the smaller 3DS screen, I played the free cases of the iOS version on iPad and I thought it was kinda... off looking. I want to see images!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait, hoso_boso's Twitter account has a link to a page where there's a scan...but it's censored, whyyyyyyyyyy.

Timeless

...Not really? I'm pretty sure the only model in AA5 they could reuse would be Phoenix in his classic suit.

And again: though DD-style remakes of the games would be spectacular to look at, that's resources Capcom probably doesn't want to sink when they're busy working on a new AA title. It's true DD's development took care of the core engine/style, but that's still a lot of assets they'd need to redo.
I paid $30 for Dual Destinies and the cost involved in AA5's development was the same cost an Ace Attorney 1 remake would have, in addition to the cost of writing the script, localizing it, designing characters, creating music, and as you said creating the game engine and programming logic.

Did the money to do all those things come from a fairy? Or is it possible that an AA1 remake in the AA5 engine would cost less than AA5 did to make? (Granted, perhaps Capcom would expect better sales for AA5 than it would expect for a remake of AA1.)
Come on, anyone sane knows that the first point is more than a bit unrealistic.
If there was ever a candidate for episodic digital releases, this is it.

Ace Attorney 1 - Put out a 3D remake for case 1 and case 2. If it sells well, make case 3. And so on.

Top Bottom