• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxidax

Well DAMN!

This game is a joke sorry but the only console it should of came out on was the Wii U. With it coming out on the Xbox One and PS4 its almost like a slap in the face of the consumer laughing at them saying " HA HA HA what a dumbass you are, your new console is not backwards compatible and we will take advantage of it". If you are wondering why I said Wii U at the beginning well it never came out for a nintendo console so I would not mind it, but as it stands right now its the laziest thing I have ever seen. A port of a game from last year on the same user bases of xbox and PlayStation. If anything this game is the poster child for why backward compatibility should be standard. As for the frame rate who gives a shit, if you are dumb enough to get this game for the PS4/ XBONE and not the 360 or ps3 then you are already stupid. Sorry but wasn't that the game they said was a failure and thier charging full price for this port? How much is the one from last year cost, what its cheap? I am not saying tomb raider is a bad game. But if any of you support the next gen version I must say that is really sad, I know there is nothing to play but do not buy this game. Its odd the one thing that would be nice on PS4 and xbone is some that the WII U has in full force. I really wish they were backward compatible.

This! ^ So true, man. I wont support this game again because i already did last year, but it should come out for the Wii U with all the extra content and not next gen or at least for less money on Nxt Gn. Isn't Tomb Raider profitable already?

zzz79

Banned
iGAv1mba7RbA9.gif

+ TAG: "I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee"

hilarious :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What is you point, coming into a console thread to tell everyone you played the game at better settings ?????

How is it relevant, and why do PC players ALWAYS do this on console comparison threads.

Do you think we are impressed ?

Does it add to the discussion ?

Do you think we want to run out and build a gaming rig ?

Or do PC players like to show off their specs (my GPU is bigger) ?

Its afternoon where I am - do you think we all live in USA ?
He does present a valid point in certain reguards. The thread moves so fast and the tone of the discussion can change from page to page. I see some kind of rationalization posts coming here and there. Almost dismissive of the advantage PS4 holds interms of HW prowess.

you know we can almost write up a script for these events now.

1. News breaks that PS4 is demonstrably better at something thanks to its specs/developer environment
2. First 200 posts all "holy fucking shit", "dis gun be good" and on the other side "lazy devs" and "i dont really need to play this in 60 anyway, 30 is fine for this type of game."
3. Someone posts Arthur Gies twitter feed, where he predictably tries to downplay the entire thing while retaining an air of false objectivity
4. Major Nelson's Fun Facts
5. A billion people rightly bring up Albert Penello's 30% post and how he disrespected this community with his deceptions
7. People trying to pretend they're "skeptical" at the news until they hear it from a "better source" (which coincidentally never comes for them)
8. Then people move from trying to deny the news to pretending nobody will notice it or it's not really important for anything anyway. Semantics games all over the place.
9. 30+ other pages of photoshops and other such hilarity

Insert your own steps, it's a game :D

And for some reason last gen, the significantly more minor IQ, resolution, and framerate differences between the x360 and ps3 versions of multiplats had DF keeling over backwards, extolling the virtues of MS's machine.

Now the much more significant differences in IQ, resolutions, and framerate between X1 and PS4 "don't matter". Mental gymnastics if I've ever seen them.

I thought the differences last gen were significant enough to point out and that x360 was the better machine for it. Give credit to Sony where credit is due now that their machine is the better place to play multiplats on and for $100.00 cheaper no less.

ICKE

Banned
This x 1,000,000. As someone wholly uninterested in PC gaming, I cant gloss over the elitist posts fast enough

Because we representatives of the PC world, superior to all other forms of gaming, have to remind you of your weakness.

Not too long ago people from your pitiful Sony clan were hiding behind these childish notions that frames per second do not matter. Now, suddenly after this weak machine you call "console" has managed to outperform another piece of ancient technology, you have foolishly taken out your war drums.

What you fail to understand is that PC gaming imposes order and innovation on the chaos of gaming development. Games such as Witcher 2 exist because we allow it, and they will be obsolete after one blink of an eye...because we demand it.

End of transmission...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Because "true" PC gamers could never do something like this? What kind of post is this?

I've never known PC gamers to be the elitist types they are now, jumping into every single console related thread to puff their chests. There's definitely a lot of new blood, and given the mentality, they reek of being former console guys.

Milennia

Because we representatives of the PC world, superior to all other forms of gaming, have to remind you of your weakness.

Not too long ago people from your pitiful Sony clan were hiding behind these childish notions that frames per second do not matter. Now, suddenly after this weak machine you call "console" has managed to outperform another piece of ancient technology, you have foolishly taken out your war drums.

What you fail to understand is that PC gaming imposes order and innovation on the chaos of gaming development. Games such as Witcher 2 exist because we allow it, and they will be obsolete after one blink of an eye...because we demand it.

End of transmission...
Whelp, that settles that.
It has spoken.

DBT85

This game is a joke sorry but the only console it should of came out on was the Wii U. With it coming out on the Xbox One and PS4 its almost like a slap in the face of the consumer laughing at them saying " HA HA HA what a dumbass you are, your new console is not backwards compatible and we will take advantage of it". If you are wondering why I said Wii U at the beginning well it never came out for a nintendo console so I would not mind it, but as it stands right now its the laziest thing I have ever seen. A port of a game from last year on the same user bases of xbox and PlayStation. If anything this game is the poster child for why backward compatibility should be standard. As for the frame rate who gives a shit, if you are dumb enough to get this game for the PS4/ XBONE and not the 360 or ps3 then you are already stupid. Sorry but wasn't that the game they said was a failure and thier charging full price for this port? How much is the one from last year cost, what its cheap? I am not saying tomb raider is a bad game. But if any of you support the next gen version I must say that is really sad, I know there is nothing to play but do not buy this game. Its odd the one thing that would be nice on PS4 and xbone is some that the WII U has in full force. I really wish they were backward compatible.

You are now immortal in GAF lore. Well done. In the months and years ahead this will be used to catch people out, just like "I'm an expert".

CoG

Lazy devs not optimizing for 40 types of gfx cards, 40 kinds of cpus, 3 different OSes and every permutation of those three.

This is uneducated snark. The fact is the game does not run particularly well on any system and it's all traceable to the poor-performing TressFX implementation. If a Titan chokes on your code it's probably your code that's the problem. There are obviously top-level optimizations/reworks that can be done to TressFX to make it run nicely as evident by the PS4/Xbone versions although it does not look quite as nice.

It's really just a vocal minority of PC GAF. I have a great rig and game on it more than on my consoles, but sometimes I'm surprised by how invested these people are in their agenda

It is a vocal minority and most of PC Gaf is cool, but that vocal minority i as obnoxious as the most diehard of console warrior.

QaaQer

People are shitting on pc hardware prices not being bang for the buck...but the tomb raider collection (10 games including this newer one) was going for like 12 bucks during steam winter sale. and console gamers paying $60 for a definitive edition is just plain wrong. This edition should not cost $60 on next gen.

dude, free markets.

Besides, PS+ in a year?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've added something extra to the article.

AMENDMENT (24/01): There appears to be a little bit of confusion of the framerates reported, and the fault is our own and our poor wording. We inaccurately used the term “average” when the math, in reality, does not add up. Logistically saying the average is ~30fps implies it exceeds and dips below 30fps, averaging at the number. That is not the case. What our sources have reported is that the listed FPS are roughly the most common targets during performance. So while the Xbox One version can reach ~45fps, for a majority of play it will sit around the ~30fps market, give a few frames. Same goes for the PlayStation 4 build, which in most cases hits around 60fps, take a few frames. Our sources have not confirmed exactly, but our own extrapolation of the information suggests you might say the average (accurate use of the term) Xbox One performance could be ~35fps, meanwhile the average PlayStation 4 performance may be ~55fps. Actual, concrete performance benchmarks will need to wait until the game is out for everyone, as we certainly don’t have them.

We apologise for any confusion from misuse of the term “average”, and hope this amendment better clarifies performance on both systems.

Omni

Well looks like I'll be picking this up on PS4.

Power difference between the consoles is rather frustrating. It's gonna be a loooooooong generation for Xbone owners, that's for sure.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

End of transmission...

classic brony / pc gamer rebuttal haha

geordiemp

Why don't you look at the post he was responding to before going off on a whiny rant?

Fair play, the other post he referred to was bad..

It was not whiny, I was smiling as I typed it.

Maybe not fair directed at the poster as I did, but it does resonate to some PC players who come into these threads to show us their big GPU.

He did swipe at the tablet specs Ps4 - so it was not totally off the mark...

Anyway I apologise.

Pillville

Code:
[X] PS gloating
[X] MS apologists
[X] PC snobs
[X] Media bias called out
[X] Custom GIFS
[X] blahblahblah? blahblahblah.
[X] multiple, poorly made check lists
[ ] conspiracy theories
[ ] WiiU port begging
[ ] CBOAT post, 20+ pages added
[ ] Obama blamed
[ ] Original post turns out to be wrong, 30+ pages added

foxbeldin

Code:
[X] PS gloating
[X] MS apologists
[X] PC snobs
[X] Media bias called out
[X] Custom GIFS
[X] blahblahblah? blahblahblah.
[X] multiple, poorly made check lists
[ ] conspiracy theories
[ ] WiiU port begging
[ ] CBOAT post, 20+ pages added
[ ] Obama blamed
[ ] Original post turns out to be wrong, 30+ pages added

Thanks a lot obama !

weeeeezy

Banned
As a loyal Xbox fan I'm really pissed about this. It's one thing to have resolution discrepancies between ps4 and xbox. In most cases, I can't tell the difference so it didn't bother me. But frame rate is a big freakin deal to me. Why couldn't the developers cut down in textures or something on the xbox version so we can get 60 FPS? I'm starting to regret my decesion on sticking with the Xbox. Microsoft better start releasing some fixes to their dev tools if that's what is causing the issue.

classic brony / pc gamer rebuttal haha

Ahem.

IT'S NOT REAL JONNY BONES

And I'm pretty sure we can add conspiracy theories and Wii U Port Begging to the checklist thanks to Lunar, Stupid Star Story

And clearly EatChildren posted this just to find more people to ban, I KNOW YOUR SCHE-ALL GLORY TO THE MODBOT

Maybe you didn't mean to say that, but if you look at your original post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98185097&postcount=2672

You reply to someone saying 'I'm glad they didn't screw us over' with 'They kind of did though.'

I'm not sure what you meant, but that's what you said.

This appears to be this poster's modus operandi. See for example:

So the versions are identical graphically. One is 60fps with dips. , the other 30 fps with spikes.

So a game moving at 60fps "looks" the same as one moving at 30fps? With the massive proviso that you freeze time when you make the comparison, LOL. This is like Zeno's arrow.

What are you taking about ? I said nothing close to that,

That's quite interesting - I've always been of the opinion that once dev's have had more time with the Xbone that you'll see 60fps 1080p - AND maybe it can still happen toward the end of this year. BUT they are really gonna be shitting bricks if Titanfall isn't 1080p @ 60fps - oh and still looks good - no trickery with lower res textures etc.

Bradach

Thanks Gaf. I've had a wonderful lurk in here the whole working day. Very entertaining. ElTorro's 'data gif' and Am0rx's 'thread template' were personal highlights.

My only contribution is that I think Tomb Raider is a pretty good game. I like the bow.

jayu26

I've never known PC gamers to be the elitist types they are now, jumping into every single console related thread to puff their chests. There's definitely a lot of new blood, and given the mentality, they reek of being former console guys.

What the fuck? We are all humans, gloating about our Console (or not console) of choice is our human nature. And what the fuck is this console mentality crap? Do you even see the irony when you say that?

Where is that Rapunzel dumbfounded gif when you need it?

I feel like we are getting to a stage where mods need to come in and set some rules for PC dick waving during these console comparison threads.

Its bad enough PC only crowd gets a free pass to port beg and shit up threads that way.

I would appreciate that too. Ever since nextgen became more PC-like in architecture, they've been getting more annoying, so much so that I'd rather not admit to gaming on PC as well.

Marleyman

Banned
As a loyal Xbox fan I'm really pissed about this. It's one thing to have resolution discrepancies between ps4 and xbox. In most cases, I can't tell the difference so it didn't bother me. But frame rate is a big freakin deal to me. Why couldn't the developers cut down in textures or something on the xbox version so we can get 60 FPS? I'm starting to regret my decesion on sticking with the Xbox. Microsoft better start releasing some fixes to their dev tools if that's what is causing the issue.

As am I; it is definitely disappointing. My hope is that a strong dev w/ experience w/ the system can squeeze more performance out of it, but I am not super knowledgable when it comes to the innards of the One.

Soriku

Yes, PS4 is more powerful and/or easier to get power out of than the Xbox One.

How long will it take for people to accept this?

PJV3

After all the Technobabble of the last few months it's good to see the real world results. The PS4 is turning out to be a nice little console.

Interfectum

It's not the dev tools, it's the hardware. Over time they could release some better tools to optimize but you are going to be hearing about these discrepancies all generation. And most devs will choose to resolution over framerate so we could see many more examples of the XB1 version running at half the speed of PS4.

End of transmission...

Can't stress this enough. The double standard is staggering.

Should be an award for best .gif's ever.

This does hurt for xbone owners, but take heart fellas. Even though the game is fantastic. The remake isn't worth 60 bucks. Now if they offer the 10 dollar digital upgrade from the ps3 version then I'm all over that.

ICKE

Banned
I've added something extra to the article.

In all seriousness if I owned the console version, I'd rather the fps was locked at 30 or at least have the option to do it myself. It's frustrating to witness the constant fluctuation.

I know visual settings on consoles is a big no-no to a lot of people but it is frustrating and will continue to be as future games push both PS4/XB1 to their limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom