• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

LakeEarth

Was there any actual evidence that Sony was deleting "normal" negative feedback while leaving the "frothing at the mouth" negative feedback?

El Topo

So I take it back on not needing help. I don't like the old BotW logo for the banner and I would like to grab the new one but I have no skills with Photoshop or whatever.

Why don't you just ask them if you could have a version of the banners for a fan site?

Edit:
All my attempts in GIMP look like shit, sorry. Jagged edges.

Now the RLM twitter is retweeting stuff about how reddit is deleting the scientist man video.

Reddit and "censorship". I predict only good things can come of such pairings.

Shy

Now the RLM twitter is retweeting stuff about how reddit is deleting the scientist man video.

Really. ? this is the hill they want to die on. ?
UkFMAou.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

And of course the guy they retweeted has a #freemilo tweet.

It's always a bit of a shock when Rich likes a game.

That game seems really cool though. I've always liked 'retro hacking' in games, even as a small mini-game in Enter The Matrix (yes, that was a thing), and this seems appropriately clever about it. That grate with "you can literally not open this", for instance. God knows how many games I've played where I've checked random doors in the background to see if they would work, until you encounter the arbitrary trigger one that actually does something.

I really doubt RLM are trying to subtly endorse GG/Milo/alt right/whatever by complaining about Reddit taking down their video, and I say this as someone who feels the video is a bit too knowingly pandering with some of its points.

The other night I re-watched and re-listened to the Ghostbuster's 2 commentary, and with Rich personally annoyed and angry that in the cartoon show they tried to introduce diversity, I"m dreading the eventual HitB episode.

That said, next week's Batman V Superman should be fun.

Oh, and since someone asked a while ago, I haven't heard back yet on if I can upload their Warm Bodies / Movie 43 HitB episode that is now missing. I'm still searching for United States of Nooooo.

I was searching for the United States of Nooooo post and I found this post of mine back in March :p

Also, regarding the OT thread on Ghostbusters, what's ironic is we had a discussion on RLM in general and their change in humor back in May in this thread and how it has been happening for a while.

So, maybe the bad Scientist Man video shouldn't be a surprise.

And as a final bit on this subject, when I saw that there was a Ghostbuster Scientist Man video, I got excited thinking he was going to talk about the science and lack of in the movie itself, with the incorrect terminology and gadgets and ghosts and whatnot since Mike is really into ghosts for whatever reason. So when it turned into a conspiratorial cherry-picked video on the backlash, I was doubly bummed.

Half in the Bag is a regularly released series in which Stoklasa and Bauman do more traditional movie reviews. Stoklasa has described it as a cross between Siskel and Ebert and a 1980s sitcom, with himself and Bauman as Lightning Fast VCR Repair employees who discuss newly released movies, as well as some cult classics, comic book conventions, and other film projects they engage in.

In an effort to generate more content with greater frequency for the website, Rich Evans introduced Game Station 2.0 in which he presented brief reviews of video games. After four episodes, the show failed to garner much of a following, and has since been defunct. On YouTube, the shows have surpassed 100,000 views, which is in line with most Red Letter Media videos such as Best of the Worst and Half in the Bag.

On April 15, 2014, a re-tooled video game review show appeared on the website. Re-titled Previously Recorded and now featuring Rich Evans along with Jack Packard, the show quickly found an audience among RedLetterMedia's already well-established fanbase, although most episodes are only receiving around 5,000 views.

title_game_station.jpg

And for those of you on mobile, here are some easy links to click!

http://redlettermedia.com/
RedLetterMedia YouTube Page
Mr. Plinkett
Half in the Bag
Best of the Worst
re:View
RLM Commentary Tracks
PreRec YouTube Page
RLM Feature Films
RLM Shorts

(post under construction; more to come later)

A regularly released series in which members of RedLetterMedia watch and review several tapes/discs which they expect will be terrible. After the viewing parties, a rotating panel of four people affiliated with RedLetterMedia sit and discuss what they have just watched. Panels typically consist of any combination of Mike Stoklasa, Jay Bauman, Rich Evans, Jack Packard, Jessi Nakles, their friend Josh (The Wizard), and/or special guests.

Half in the Bag, Best of the Worst, re:View, and Pre Rec now all have their own dedicated posts in the OP! Everything is fully updated without character restrictions!

Everyone give major thanks to Stumpokapow for helping out!

Wow, just look at that OP. It's almost overwhelming how much content there is now.
And there are even more videos on the RLM YouTube page that I don't have on there. Stuff like Scientist Man, Wacky Kid Jokes, Pabst Blue Ribbon, fake Clickbait videos, etc. Those aren't readily linked on the RLM webpage and there continues to be a growing number of those videos.

Thanks for the kudos, btw. :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Great! Now you just have another 100 pages to plan a new OT when we replace this thread with OT2... in another 5 years. (Providing another Plinkett review or three come out in that time.)

If you know the personality of these guys, it becomes ridiculous to accuse them of being part of any agenda like MRA or GG.

Mike is a dry, pragmatical guy who believes in logic and sense. Rich is a no-nonsense guy that believes in facts and science.

Honestly, I don't think that anyone on the crew are some knuckledragging MRA types. As for Mike and Rich, I think even though Mike tries to be more offensive, the only time I've been offended at all by RLM is from Rich Evans :v

If anything it's more about people being worried that prominent individuals can inadvertently validate alt-right agendas by endorsing stuff out of ignorance. A good percentage of people (atleast according to surveys) hold low-key racist and sexist views, so it's not unexpected that someone who's not clued in on social justice talking points might stumble into something they don't really understand (especially a bunch of bumbling white dudes from the midwest who have possibly never spoken to a black person or a non-Jessie woman).

But in any case, Mike and Rich aren't going to be MRAs or Gaters, not because they disapprove of sexism but because they'd think it's stupid to get THAT mad about it.

I don't even think Mike/Jay/Rich have an issue talking about 'problematic' stuff in film if something jumps out to them in particular; a big part of their criticism of Sandler's shit was his shitty use of stereotypes and his attempt to dodge criticism by 'well this cheap joke about jumping the border is okay because we paid a Mexican actor to say it'. They similarly went off at the Oscars this year for mostly being self-congratulatory rich white folks.

Whether you agree with it or not, I think they're more in recent years they're playfully reacting to the Tumblr-brand of social justice with hashtag movements for minor offences, trigger warnings that go well beyond what a PTSD victim would seriously need and whatnot. Like, to them the 'Sensitive Josh Whedon' joke last year when Whedon went off about a film he hadn't even seen yet is just meant to be a fun prod at his comments and not some secret signalling of HEY GUYS WE'RE ONE OF YOU to alt right types.

While I wouldn't blame them at this point, I hope they don't yet another Ghostbusters reaction video because it's just going to drag this dumb drama out even further and cause more people to make assumptions about them they're clueless to, being late 30-year-old's who rarely engage with modern internet culture.

In 2023, we can start making "This thread took twelve years to make" jokes. I doubt anyone would laugh though. A smirk perhaps. We need another Kids Jokes episode from RLM.

If you know the personality of these guys, it becomes ridiculous to accuse them of being part of any agenda like MRA or GG.

Mike is a dry, pragmatical guy who believes in logic and sense. Rich is a no-nonsense guy that believes in facts and science.
Lol Mike believes in ghosts

I actually wish that they had saved Scientist Man for the new Bourne movie to explain or give a refresher the series. :(

After the trilogy and the Jeremy Renner one it seems like it would have been perfect to bust him out for it.

I actually wish that they had saved Scientist Man for the new Bourne movie to explain or give a refresher the series. :(

After the trilogy and the Jeremy Renner one it seems like it would have been perfect to bust him out for it.

They need Jack to play Scientist Man's Lab Assistant and have him try to explain Bourne on his own.

During one of the streams, he insisted that Bourne had lost his memory because
he willed the memory loss on himself due to being unhappy with the atrocities he was forced to commit. He basically erased his own memory with sheer willpower because he felt bad.

Now I'm no expert on the series, but that just can't be right.

Grinchy

Banned
Jack's usually uncanny ability to make sense of nonsensical plots would make him a pretty great Scientist Man Assistant

Cheerilee

They need Jack to play Scientist Man's Lab Assistant and have him try to explain Bourne on his own.

During one of the streams, he insisted that Bourne had lost his memory because
he willed the memory loss on himself due to being unhappy with the atrocities he was forced to commit. He basically erased his own memory with sheer willpower because he felt bad.

Now I'm no expert on the series, but that just can't be right.

IIRC, the suits in one of the Bourne movies were grilling the doctor about the side effects of the program, and they were all predicted and expected, except for amnesia in Bourne, and him alone. That was a unique surprise. They never even seemed to consider "he was shot and almost died" as a sensible reason for his memory loss.

Bourne was a stone cold killer, and they sent him after a target, but he couldn't pull the trigger, then he turned and staggered away, got shot in the back, but survived and had amnesia. Physical trauma can give you brain damage, but he was right in the middle of some mental trauma before the physical trauma. Himself vs his programming, and his programming clearly lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhbNOXDNPA

Deep down, Bourne couldn't tolerate what Treadstone Bourne was doing, so Treadstone Bourne was smashed, broken, killed from within, and a new, empty Bourne took his place.

I'd say the amnesia definitely kicked in while he had a gun to Wombosi's head, not while he was floating in the water.

Top Bottom