• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

Hamblasto

Phenomic said:
Man I'm really bad at this game, April is just kicking my butt, I never had this much issue with VC1. I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Don't let it get to you. April's story mission is just a spike in difficulty.

After that, there's really only one or two other missions that can get that frustrating.

Phenomic

Hamblasto said:
Don't let it get to you. April's story mission is just a spike in difficulty.

After that, there's really only one or two other missions that can get that frustrating.

Yeah I guess I just don't know what I should do really I just never seem to have enough turns to get people into place that I need to let alone keep the bases. Everyone just dies, It's sad too because I had not died once up until this point thought I was doing a decent enough job keeping up with the levels and such.

*Edit so I don't double post* but to reply to your follow-up question.
I've tried to upgrade weapons and such by going about as far down as it lets me, armor as well. Tank well I wish I could hold more stuff on my tank won't let me seem to get a better armor set other then 6 slots at least at this point. Also I could also grind but can't say I'm looking forward to that.

duckroll

If all else fails, get a Utility APC, arm it with the construction arm and a flamethrower unit (the best one you can upgrade to at the moment), and just move up and roast everyone including the boss.

I've just started July. I have four Scouts that I've been using exclusively for a good portion of the game. While Marina has finally become the sniper I know and love, not one of the others has been promoted even once.

If the credit system had a face, I would punch it. :-(

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So it seems like in regards to credits and such, the tank is to this game as Titania was to the GC Fire Emblem?

DarthWoo said:
So it seems like in regards to credits and such, the tank is to this game as Titania was to the GC Fire Emblem?

As in a fallback unit to use if the rest of your squad gets screwed over by the RNG? Yeah, that works.

DarthWoo

Pureauthor said:
As in a fallback unit to use if the rest of your squad gets screwed over by the RNG? Yeah, that works.

Nah, as in something that, while it can roll around the field and kill everything, is ultimately an experience sink. Of course it was worse in FE due to the limited exp through the game.

Phenomic

duckroll said:
If all else fails, get a Utility APC, arm it with the construction arm and a flamethrower unit (the best one you can upgrade to at the moment), and just move up and roast everyone including the boss.

Well it does good damage just have to find a way to make it not dodge it :D
Edit Wow after like way too many turns I killed him with it haha, man this is going to be like a failure of a mission, first one I've had below a B.

Phenomic said:
Well it does good damage just have to find a way to make it not dodge it :D
Edit Wow after like way too many turns I killed him with it haha, man this is going to be like a failure of a mission, first one I've had below a B.

Try getting Fencers - they'll be able to deal with most humanoid boss units in the fights to come.

Hamblasto

I second getting a Fencer. They're like mini Flamethrower APCs with less AP, but the ability to cap bases.
I remember finishing off three V2s in one swing. So awesome.

LegatoB

DarthWoo said:
Nah, as in something that, while it can roll around the field and kill everything, is ultimately an experience sink. Of course it was worse in FE due to the limited exp through the game.
It's not a direct comparison, since the Tank doesn't gain Credits like all your other units do (and VC2's random-as-long-as-you-did-SOMETHING experience distribution). If you use it to the exclusion of everyone else, it could be a hindrance, yeah.

Hamblasto

BLiTZ Part VIII is now up!

Huh. I was right. We get Maximilian today.

He also comes with a sticker! I know you guys love those!

Maximilian + Imperial Flag Sticker: H73G4L9GLJR1CHJP

Sticker Stats: Boosts attack power, lowers morale - VsPsnl+5, VsArmr+5, Morale-31

It looks like there's going to be some Phantasy Star Zero related stuff tomorrow.

Edit: Looks like Giolon's got it.

As for the spoiler tags, I guess it'd be okay for the password characters since SEGA's been revealing them, anyways. I'm still a bit iffy about the level unlockables, though.

AleeN634

I guess you don't need to spoiler tag them since the Sega blog says who/what the unlockables are.

Keep anything ingame spoiler tagged. I already had 1 character unlock ruined that way.

Hamblasto

I finished the last story mission. That ending was pretty weak. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say it's pretty generic (though, considering the rest of the game's story, it's not that big of a surprise). So many cliches.

Well, I guess it's time to get to work on some of the post-game stuff.

duckroll said:
I play the game properly, and I get 4-5 characters getting credits in a mission. Sometimes I only get 1-2 characters getting credits, because that is the more effective way to play the mission. Like I said before, if the game forces me to play in a less effective manner just to gain full advantage of a shitty gameplay system, the gameplay system is shitty. There's no need to defend it just to feel like you're some superior elite SRPG player who towers over the rest of us pleasant players. You don't have to try to add arrogance to every line to make yourself sound more informed about the game.

I hope you're not going to start up with your "oh players are simply not good enough to understand the system, so they're blaming it" next because the last time you did that, it was fucking annoying too. So is all your fucking trolling on the Tactics Ogre threads, and seriously, I'm amazed you even bother to defend the credits system when earlier you posted in every single Valkyria thread with "VC2 is putting me to sleep lololol so easy" and so on. You're a really predictable poster, and that's not a compliment.
I'd like to hear your definition of playing the game 'properly' and what you think is 'effective'. Since I've been getting A ranks every mission with the best score and all resources usually 1-2 turns ahead of the A time limit, I'm pretty sure I've been playing 'effectively' according to the game. The system makes sense from a game design perspective and hasn't forced me to hinder myself. Deploying 1-5 people per mission sounds inefficient to me as I'm constantly standbying and deploying new characters as I capture camps across the map. Limiting the characters I use would severely hinder my ability to cover the map quickly. So if you understand 'the system' and know how deploying a small number (1-5) of units is 'more proper and efficient', I'd really like to hear it. Yeah VC2 is easy but I don't see what that has to do with people misunderstanding the promotion system. No I'm not a troll nor do I lie about my accomplishments in games. I'm confused how you came up with 'you're lying' in the first place.

Giolon said:
Here, let me respond directly to the bolded sentence: I do not have a single Melodist.
They still promoted from 1st tier. They've got a promotion. It's less likely to get 3rd tier promotions than 2nd tier, though. You probably won't have more than a handful of 3rd tier classes by the end of the game even if you're deploying a lot of people per mission. I'll have to see how that goes, though. About to get into the august missions.

hmm.. just finished the July mission, got credit for 14 people.. 4 turns, A rank, all leaders/tanks/resources. And there is a guaranteed diploma drop from July story missions onward for the top spot.

duckroll said:
I'm kinda shocked that Sega never sold credit packs in Japan as DLC. Considering how retarded the system is, you would think they would want to profit from their own bad design. :lol

It's just too retarded. I'm really starting to believe that it's either a bad seed for their random generation, or the variables are deliberately stacked against you (as in the more you need a certain thing, the less likely it will appear).

I've given up on grinding for these damn things and just used cwcheat. Now I'll just upgrade my crew as needed when similar classes start showing up in enemy ranks.

And wow, April mission is fucking hard. I'll try out some of the tips you recommended, though splitting my crew up seems really difficult to play.

radiantdreamer said:
And wow, April mission is fucking hard. I'll try out some of the tips you recommended, though splitting my crew up seems really difficult to play.

Splitting your team up is essential for quickly clearing a map. Remember you can standby any unit from the map (by pressing triangle over them) for free as long as they are within a controlled camp.. this makes it easy to leave someone to defend until you've secured the area and need to free up deployment spots for contested fronts.

Almost every map can be pwned by rushing shocks and lancers around capping camps and leaving them behind to defend, then standbying them for 0 CP when you run out of spots. Always try to end your units turns on a camp unless they have a specific goal you need to spend more CP to work them towards. This also goes hand in hand with getting credit for a large number of units per mission, because you'll always be rotating units in and out of the camps.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
I'd like to hear your definition of playing the game 'properly' and what you think is 'effective'. Since I've been getting A ranks every mission with the best score and all resources usually 1-2 turns ahead of the A time limit, I'm pretty sure I've been playing 'effectively' according to the game. The system makes sense from a game design perspective and hasn't forced me to hinder myself. Deploying 1-5 people per mission sounds inefficient to me as I'm constantly standbying and deploying new characters as I capture camps across the map. Limiting the characters I use would severely hinder my ability to cover the map quickly. So if you understand 'the system' and know how deploying a small number (1-5) of units is 'more proper and efficient', I'd really like to hear it.

If I can deploy 5 units + vehicle and get A ranks for pretty much every mission, killing the ace, and getting all resources, how is that not more effective than getting the same thing with 10 units? That's what I don't understand here. You seem to insist that you're more correct here and everyone else has to be wrong or misunderstanding the system. Why can't you open your eyes and just realize that maybe the way you play the game makes the credits system less of a problem, but there are other completely valid and effective ways to play the game which results in the credits system being completely broken? Maybe the game designers didn't want people to play the game this way, they should have designed the game such that playing this way is not effective, but they didn't, yet the credits system is annoying as fuck if you play this way. Can you not understand that?

Phenomic

I've been trying to get a Fencer since people suggested it. I guess with the credit system there's no way to actually specify which one a character gets or even increase the odds at which a character might get them. As long as you use the character the most do they automatically get the most credits? It really does seem like a terrible system and I'm going to end up having to grind soon because I wanted to get a Fencer by May's story mission, I've got a few side missions left but it's not looking good.

jiien

mjemirzian said:
I'd like to hear your definition of playing the game 'properly' and what you think is 'effective'. Since I've been getting A ranks every mission with the best score and all resources usually 1-2 turns ahead of the A time limit, I'm pretty sure I've been playing 'effectively' according to the game. The system makes sense from a game design perspective and hasn't forced me to hinder myself. Deploying 1-5 people per mission sounds inefficient to me as I'm constantly standbying and deploying new characters as I capture camps across the map. Limiting the characters I use would severely hinder my ability to cover the map quickly. So if you understand 'the system' and know how deploying a small number (1-5) of units is 'more proper and efficient', I'd really like to hear it. Yeah VC2 is easy but I don't see what that has to do with people misunderstanding the promotion system. No I'm not a troll nor do I lie about my accomplishments in games. I'm confused how you came up with 'you're lying' in the first place.

It sounds like you're not even properly arguing your own point anymore, and ignoring the previous people that have pointed out that you're missing the point. What you're asserting now is that instead of using the same unit you previous just standby'd, you're pulling out a different character of that same class, or something, to ensure that a larger number of characters get participation points. It's obvious that you only get to have, at most, 6 characters at any one time out (and only five on the same map), so you're not necessarily playing the game "better" than anyone who pulls out the same character they just benched, instead of trying to cycle through units.

As people have repeatedly said, it's not the fact that you have a lot of your characters getting credits; it's the fact that it's difficult to get the right credits to the right characters. If you pull out three unique Trooper Veterans in a mission, where another person would have used the same Trooper Veteran throughout the whole mission, you're tripling your chances that one of your Trooper Veterans will get the right credits for what he/she needs. However, the fallacy in your logic (assuming I read what you typed out correctly) is that not all characters need the same credits. The reason people complain about having one particular character not getting the credits they need is because that is the character they want to play with, or that character is closest to the right credits above other characters of the same class. For a game that strongly encourages you to pick which characters you'd like to use, I think we have every right to assume we should be able to promote who we want.

The system is simply built in a way that works against the design of the rest of its components; it denies you choice through random chance in the face of a large number of redundant characters who's sole purpose is to be unique and give you a choice.

Edit: Look, you can google for class suggestions and strategies, and everyone swears by a different tactic. I think that pretty well proves that the developers balanced the classes (for the most part) well enough to make them all useful in some way; at the very least, they are (for the most part) all so unique as to render them best a particular task. Whether you use them for that task, or skip certain tasks during missions (and therefore changing the face of your line up) is completely up to you, and how you perceive the game. The point is that this whole argument has nothing to do with how (well?) you used your classes for your experience. If you did it with a bunch of people, because that's how your strategies have evolved, then good for you. But the fact is, that for a large number of strategies and understanding of this game, the credits system does not work. If you somehow got it to work solely for you, then more power to you. But not everyone perceives a strategy game in the same way; not everyone thinks the same way, or wants to play the same way.

The bottomline is that the credits system, for the vast majority of people, is broken. As I said above, it's random chance thrown into a game built on choice. It just doesn't work.

----------------------------------

On another topic, just got through March's story mission. Restarted several times until I figured out what to do (it took me one failure just to realize the significance of the support power tank things). And JESUS H. CHRIST, that was a huge ramp in difficulty. I was blowing through the non-story missions for that month like cake, and this one smacked me all around. Blah.

I've also been grinding a bit to promote the characters I plan to use for the duration of the game, so I thought I was far ahead of the curve. Wow. I really do wish leveling up a class had more significance. Not that the importance of good tactics should be lessened, but I do wish there was a more constant growth, rather than waiting for promotions/weapons.

duckroll

Well whatever, I don't really want to continue arguing this point since we're really on a totally different frequency from him. It doesn't really matter anyway. It's just a game.

I BEAT VC2! After 50+ fucking hours, IT IS DONE. The story was like F- probably, really bad plotting, terrible dialog, moronic lead characters, mostly stupid scenario, not much payoff in the story itself or at the end. BUT THE GAMEPLAY WAS SO AWESOME. I loved it all the way to the end. Only managed to B-rank the final boss, because I was playing it safe and didn't want to take any outlandish risks to finish it faster. It was satisfying though. Much better than VC1's final mission.

Overall the missions are varied and fun in terms of layout, and while the game itself is rather easy, it's still pretty satisfying to try out different strategies and tactics and see them work out (or fail). The game perfectly captures the spirit of VC in portable form, and I'm really impressed by how much of the gameplay systems and engine format they managed to squeeze into the PSP. The only disappointment here is that the scale of missions pale in comparison with VC1. There aren't any really epic stages, nor are the boss fights as challenging or imposing as the ones in VC1, aside from the final battle which was pretty well planned.

CREDITS SYSTEM IS TRASH. MATERIALS SYSTEM IS TRASH. Get all that grinding style content out of my VC and just give me more missions, larger maps, larger enemy vehicles, etc. Can't wait for VC3. :lol The only thing I'll be sad to see go from VC2 will be the co-op mode. I'm actually having quite a bit of fun playing co-op with friends, and it works very well.

Also, I have to say, NG+ is very, very impressive. I'm probably going to keep playing for a while because of the awesome additional features in NG+. Being able to switch month at will (to fill up the missing parts of the yearbook), having access to all story missions, and having a ton of NEW missions unlock all over the place is pretty sweet. Looks like the post-game stuff will be even more challenging than the normal game stuff too.

AleeN634

Finally made it to September. Man, they sure make you work for the win in August. Thank goodness the V2s suck against Fencers.

The story's a bit more interesting but the twist
is kinda telegraphed once Townshend appeared with the Rebels. It makes sense but it's a bit weird to reuse the same guy to represent the Alliance. Although I find it a bit weird that the game tells you how Lanseal is militarily useless after the August attack but here you are fighting the Rebels left, right and center.

My only disappointment is that it took this long for something to happen and the game ends sometime in December.

duckroll said:
Well whatever, I don't really want to continue arguing this point since we're really on a totally different frequency from him. It doesn't really matter anyway. It's just a game.

I BEAT VC2! After 50+ fucking hours, IT IS DONE. The story was like F- probably, really bad plotting, terrible dialog, moronic lead characters, mostly stupid scenario, not much payoff in the story itself or at the end. BUT THE GAMEPLAY WAS SO AWESOME. I loved it all the way to the end. Only managed to B-rank the final boss, because I was playing it safe and didn't want to take any outlandish risks to finish it faster. It was satisfying though. Much better than VC1's final mission.

Overall the missions are varied and fun in terms of layout, and while the game itself is rather easy, it's still pretty satisfying to try out different strategies and tactics and see them work out (or fail). The game perfectly captures the spirit of VC in portable form, and I'm really impressed by how much of the gameplay systems and engine format they managed to squeeze into the PSP. The only disappointment here is that the scale of missions pale in comparison with VC1. There aren't any really epic stages, nor are the boss fights as challenging or imposing as the ones in VC1, aside from the final battle which was pretty well planned.

CREDITS SYSTEM IS TRASH. MATERIALS SYSTEM IS TRASH. Get all that grinding style content out of my VC and just give me more missions, larger maps, larger enemy vehicles, etc. Can't wait for VC3. :lol The only thing I'll be sad to see go from VC2 will be the co-op mode. I'm actually having quite a bit of fun playing co-op with friends, and it works very well.

Also, I have to say, NG+ is very, very impressive. I'm probably going to keep playing for a while because of the awesome additional features in NG+. Being able to switch month at will (to fill up the missing parts of the yearbook), having access to all story missions, and having a ton of NEW missions unlock all over the place is pretty sweet. Looks like the post-game stuff will be even more challenging than the normal game stuff too.

Thanks for the impressions, Duckroll! So far, I agree with you on every point.
I can't wait to see what NG+ will have in store!

duckroll said:
If I can deploy 5 units + vehicle and get A ranks for pretty much every mission, killing the ace, and getting all resources, how is that not more effective than getting the same thing with 10 units?
Because you get more credits for deploying more units (your score will be higher, in other words).

duckroll said:
Why can't you open your eyes and just realize that maybe the way you play the game makes the credits system less of a problem, but there are other completely valid and effective ways to play the game which results in the credits system being completely broken?
You can play the game any way you want, just don't expect the game rules to reward you for it. All I've been saying (again) is that if you deploy large numbers of people per mission, you'll have enough promoted classes on average. The system works as intended, grinding is only there as a failsafe in case you didn't play by the games rules well enough. Look at the game from the most basic design standpoint. You have the scoring system (mission results/credits rewarded) whose rules define what sort of strategy is rewarded as most efficient. I'm just playing by the games rules in the most efficient manner as they are defined. You can say you don't like the game rules, but proclamations like 'you're forced to grind', or 'the system is broken from a game design standpoint' are wrong.

Anyway, grats on beating the game.

Probably everyone knows this already - but they seem to have a 'credit point chart' inside the game, when you are midbattle, select->credits (i rarely go to that menu so I had never noticed). Seems capturing a base nets you a disproportionate amount of points.

I have a quick question - maybe this is all related to the grinding complaints - it seems you can't replay story/key missions in the standard game? Does that mean you get one chance to get certifs/diploma, or are some regular mission certif granting later on?

Also, what's the trigger to 'unlock' those little extra scenes. I am pretty early in the game (march), and i already unlocked all scenes of Anisette, though I don't even use her all that much. Other characters that i use very frequently barely get any scenes unlocked (one scene with the gray-haired tech dude which i want to convert into a fencer)?

It was nice to get one character missions so early on, though - netted me vastly more XP and cash than any other mission would, along with some advanced credits i have currently no use for (II)

Hamblasto

harriet the spy said:
Probably everyone knows this already - but they seem to have a 'credit point chart' inside the game, when you are midbattle, select->credits (i rarely go to that menu so I had never noticed). Seems capturing a base nets you a disproportionate amount of points.

I have a quick question - maybe this is all related to the grinding complaints - it seems you can't replay story/key missions in the standard game? Does that mean you get one chance to get certifs/diploma, or are some regular mission certif granting later on?

Also, what's the trigger to 'unlock' those little extra scenes. I am pretty early in the game (march), and i already unlocked all scenes of Anisette, though I don't even use her all that much. Other characters that i use very frequently barely get any scenes unlocked (one scene with the gray-haired tech dude which i want to convert into a fencer)?

It was nice to get one character missions so early on, though - netted me vastly more XP and cash than any other mission would, along with some advanced credits i have currently no use for (II)

Replaying story missions unlocks after you've beaten the game, but there are plenty of missions that give out certificates and diplomas(even if they're not listed in the briefing room).

The frustration only comes from trying to get one for a specific character who needs it. Hcoregamer00 knows what I'm talking about.

Phenomic

Hamblasto said:
Replaying story missions unlocks after you've beaten the game, but there are plenty of missions that give out certificates and diplomas(even if they're not listed in the briefing room).

The frustration only comes from trying to get one for a specific character who needs it. Hcoregamer00 knows what I'm talking about.

So is there like zero way to even remotely come close to even having a chance to know which character is going to get what? I mean I need a Fencer and the ones I have need a certain one, is there anywhere I can tell who can potentially give it to that unit?

DarthWoo

I just saw that there's a medal for having Avan in every class, so I have a question about job changing. I hadn't thought about it before since I only changed classes vertically. I know that changing someone's class uses up the credits they need, but does that happen every time you change back to that class if you change to another, or is it more like an unlock, where you can change back to one you've already been in for free if you change your mind later?

jiien

Woooo I just finished April's story mission in 2 turns, A ranked. Was not pretty though. Here's how I did it:

I did NOT kill Baldren. I retried this mission about five times till I figured out how to optimize my CP spending, and quickly realized that while I can adjust to kill Baldren, I didn't think I could sweep through as fast if I spent the time to kill him.

Anyway, I deployed only the Utility APC with the constructor arm. That's all you really need on it. First turn, use one CP to have the APC back up, build the ladder, and then go back to standby. Standby Avan, and then use one CP to have Zeri go up the ladder, kill the sniper, and take that base. Deploy Avan from that base (I would use Avan, because you want to leave him out for the extra CP he provides), run down the hill that's in front of the tank, and take the base at the bottom of the hill (kill the Scout camping that base). This way, you circumvent the turrent. Capture it, and have Avan crouch there (don't standby him, you want the extra CP for the next turn).

On the map that the base you just capped connects to, deploy the APC, build the ladder, and then move it out of the way a little, so a path straight to the ladder exists. Deploy a Fencer/AT, and as efficiently as possible, go up the ladder, and head straight for the Scout that is in the base there. It's probably going to take you two turns. If you have a fencer, it will definitely take two turns. Kill the Scout when you get to him, and make sure that the turret has turned toward you to face away from the ladder. Baldren is there, but your Fencer should still be alive. Cap the base while you're at it.

Back at the bottom, deploy a Lancer, have him go up the ladder, and kill the turret from the back. Walk him into the base, and either crouch or just stand there. If you act fast, he should be about to die, but still alive. These two guys are now bait for Baldren.

I think you should have no more CP, so end your turn. What I noticed happens is that Baldren will run around a lot, and will kill both your Fencer and your Lancer, but he will stay around that area, and will NOT cap that base. Same with the Scout right there that gets revived. I guess because both bodies are right there, they don't do anything.

Second turn, on the map you just connected to (it has no target bases to capture), deploy a second Fencer/AT, and make your way all the way to the next base. With my second Fencer, it took four full CP. Kill the Scout and cap the base when you get there.

On the map that base connects to, deploy a second scout, and run the scout right into the back of the warehouse behind the tank. By the time the tank sees you and turns to shoot, you should be able to crouch on the inside of the base behind the sandbags. Use a 'nade to attempt to blow out the Scout and the Sniper, but if you have a three CP left, I would take it safe and use the 'nade on the Scout (since he has more health than the Sniper). Do it right and the Scout will be wounded, and the sandbag destroyed, so use two more CP to kill the Scout and Sniper (headshots), and cap the base.

Win!

Maybe I got luck with
Baldren or his minions not recapping the base where my Lancer was

Hamblasto

Phenomic said:
So is there like zero way to even remotely come close to even having a chance to know which character is going to get what? I mean I need a Fencer and the ones I have need a certain one, is there anywhere I can tell who can potentially give it to that unit?

If you're playing a mission that gives out the credit that you need and as long as you're using the unit that needs it, there's a chance that they will get that credit at the end of the mission. The chances that you'll get the right credit is increased if that unit ranked in the top two at the end of the mission (which is determined by kills, base caps, general use and so on) since those units receive a little more credits than the rest of the squad.

However, sometimes the game just decides to mess with you and not give you the credit you need just because. It can be random like that.

If you really need to get that promotion, I'd recommend grinding it out.

In my experience, it can be a bit easier in the beginning since the first promotions only need base credits rather than the II and X versions.

Giolon

Let me give a concrete example of the shittiness of the random distribution system. I just played a mission in November offering Sppt, Sppt X, SpptII, SpptII X, and Certificates as a reward (and Diplomas as an unlisted chance reward). Let me list for you the distribution of credits to each person I used and what they actually needed:

Avan (VIP#1) - Received 2 SpptII X, 1 Sppt, 2 Sppt : Needed - Nothing
Morris (VIP#2): Received 3 SpptII, 3 Sppt X, Diploma : Needed - 2 Sppt II (Yay), Diploma
Mischlitt: - Received 3 SpptII : Needed - 1 SpptII X
Anisette: Received - 1 SpptII : Needed - 1 SpptII X
Melissa: Received - 2 Sppt : Needed 1 SpptII X
Aliasse: Received - 1 Sppt, 1 Sppt X : Needed - Nothing
Joachim: Received - 1 SpptII X, 1 Sppt X : Needed - Diploma
Coleen: Received - 5 Sppt X : Needed - 1 SpptII
Cosette: Received - 2 Sppt X : Needed - Nothing
Sofia: Received 3 Sppt X, 1 Sppt : Needed - Diploma
Magari: Received 4 Sppt X : Needed - 2 SpptII
Vario: Received 1 Sppt, 1 Diploma : Needed - 1 SpptII X

Do you see that? Out of all the people I deployed, and out of ALL of the credits distributed, only one single person got something they needed, despite the fact that nearly every single person deployed needed something that was droppable by this mission. This is not atypical. Many times, much of the time, nobody gets anything that they need.

I don't know how anyone can claim that random distribution wasn't a fucking horrible way to go about designing this reward system. It was done solely to pad game time, which is sort of pointless since this game is huge anyway. If there were a way to influence or choose who gets what types of rewards, it might not be so bad. However, the way it is implemented is completely broken.

DarthWoo

I'm loving the Captured Anti-Armor Gatling A2 turret I picked up off one of the aces in some mission. It's only 2 weight I think, but has higher versus armor attack than any of the other turrets up to this point, even the ridiculously heavy ragnite turrets. Also it has an insanely good accuracy, so that I can probably pop off tanks from across the map if I can see them. Is this probably the best turret I'll have to the end of the game?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
DarthWoo said:
I'm loving the Captured Anti-Armor Gatling A2 turret I picked up off one of the aces in some mission. It's only 2 weight I think, but has higher versus armor attack than any of the other turrets up to this point, even the ridiculously heavy ragnite turrets. Also it has an insanely good accuracy, so that I can probably pop off tanks from across the map if I can see them. Is this probably the best turret I'll have to the end of the game?

It is by far the best tank turret in the game. I stopped using it because it was making things to easy.

carlos

Finally finished yesterday, game didn't really seem like it dragged on, but somehow I ended up at 45 hours...

I did feel like a moron on the last story mission, since you have to destroy the generator, but I walked all over the area and couldn't find it; imagine my surprise when 2-3 turns later I see that they meant that the generator was right THERE all along...

Damn the gameplay is awesome. It really does make up for the shitty story and system.
I am getting tons of credits, and a fair amount of certificates, for quite a few characters EXCEPT for my fucking tech engineers. Grrrr!

I want a fencer goddammit! (i actually could make avan into a fencer, but by now the notion that VC's main character has to be a scout has been bored into my brain).

I just finished the March mission. I thought the game was a bit easy - it definitely plays differently than VC1 - but things are heating up. I am never a big fan of missions with indestructible units like Selvaria and so on, but that mission was fun. What's the best way to kill V2s? I was able to bitch slap them repeatedly with my tech engineers, but I am not sure that's the proper way to do it

DarthWoo

harriet the spy said:
Damn the gameplay is awesome. It really does make up for the shitty story and system.
I am getting tons of credits, and a fair amount of certificates, for quite a few characters EXCEPT for my fucking tech engineers. Grrrr!

I want a fencer goddammit! (i actually could make avan into a fencer, but by now the notion that VC's main character has to be a scout has been bored into my brain).

I just finished the March mission. I thought the game was a bit easy - it definitely plays differently than VC1 - but things are heating up. I am never a big fan of missions with indestructible units like Selvaria and so on, but that mission was fun. What's the best way to kill V2s? I was able to bitch slap them repeatedly with my tech engineers, but I am not sure that's the proper way to do it

You need to destroy their supply vehicles to bring down their shields and make killing them easier. You'll find that out during a class briefing...after the mission in which it would certainly have helped.

Phenomic

About half way through with the game now at least for the main story. Just started July, for all the hate Avan gets
Shooting yourself to prove a point to someone gotta say ...that's ballsy.. and pretty damn stupid also yeah the laugh is still terrible :lol .
Definitely enjoying it more now that I have a Fencer and got past April.

harriet the spy said:

Try to get credit for 10-15 people per mission.. on the 4 turn A ranks it's pretty easy to do.

Best way I've found to kill V2s is to use the tank/APC flamethrower turret, fencers, or shocktroopers. They are a huge pain to kill unless you take out the supply truck in the same area first.

Just noticed that the Exercise vs Class E mission only gives Attk X and Exercise vs Class F only gives Arms X. If someone needs Attk X or Arms X you can use these missions to guarantee it. Pretty sure they will be in the DLC pack coming soon if you don't have them from the preorder bonus.

Macstorm

Beat! The clock says 40 hours and 17 minutes. I loved the gameplay; it was addictive all around. The story was a great big "so what" full of cliches, etc., but I didn't care. I'm ready for VC3 now.

Anyone else feel that VC1 is to VC2 what Final Fantasy Tactics was to FFT Advance? Gameplay focus over story. Story-based progression versus "One more mission" feel. Moved from console to portable. Mature war story to childish antics. VC2 and FFTA both had systems that annoyed people (credits, judges). Eh, maybe I'm crazy, but it just seemed like a similar comparison to me.

mjemirzian said:
Try to get credit for 10-15 people per mission.. on the 4 turn A ranks it's pretty easy to do.

So I think I have been playing pretty similar to you so far, because I want to get the chance to unlock as many side stories (not for the stories of course, but for the potentials), plus it does seem to be mathematically advantageous in terms of getting the right credits to at least a few people. But - I am not that good that I can get A's consistently.

i get them for about 2/3 of the missions, but only for a 1/3 of them i have time to get an A and kill off every dude in the map, while a 1/3 of the time i have to decide between killing off everyone and get a B (but with the advantage that many kids from squad G get their chance at the mission), or kind of rush through the map, use a less varied team, and get an A. In this case, I can't always standby people for 0 AP, so some of them rot in a corner of the map, or some others are reused while I would have normally switched them if i had the time/AP.

So overall, what's the best strategy: go for an A with a limited (say 8) team of people, or get a B, make sure to kill every last one of the, and use a bigger (10-11) team?

I am not talking about money or XP here - only about credits.

The system is flawed, though. I have about 8 certificates for Avan, and like 2 for a random engineer that i have barely ever used. Some other teammates are stacking the X and II credits, but don't have certificates (though I do now have my Alexis Fencer <3 <3 - but no Marina sniper </3 :( ).

Ah, quick question, I wanted to try the gunner, and since Avan has enough certificates to change classes back and forth, I made him one temporarily. Is it me or do gunners suck big time? I can see how they would be of use in very particular situation, but they don't seem very flexible at all.

Top Bottom