• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

Giolon

Only made it up to October this weekend. I've been wasting a lot of time trying to grind credits for people so I can have access to cool classes like Maulers, AT Snipers, and Commandos. I'm not entirely there yet >.< I did luck out and get the credits to make
Aliasse
a Scout Veteran in only 2 missions! I know that now karma will ensure that I have to grind dozens of hours just to get any further credits I need. Also, Cosette as a Medic + Max Aid Range potential = overpowered as all hell. Someone dead? 1CP res + full heal from half a map or more away is ridiculous. Get up, carry on as usual!

I also went to SEGA's booth at the San Francisco J-Pop Summit this weekend and met RubyEclipse. I re-expressed in person my disappointment in VC3 being on PSP, and he said he only found out about it a week before the announcement. He also assured me that he wasn't lying when he says that buying VC2 on PSP does help the chances of it reappearing on consoles, but also said he couldn't tell me how it helps. He did tell me that VC2's early sales have been good, and its success will determine whether or not VC3 makes over here at all. So...I guess the new mantra is, if you want VC3 to be localized, buy VC2! :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
Only made it up to October this weekend. I've been wasting a lot of time trying to grind credits for people so I can have access to cool classes like Maulers, AT Snipers, and Commandos. I'm not entirely there yet >.< I did luck out and get the credits to make
Aliasse
a Scout Veteran in only 2 missions! I know that now karma will ensure that I have to grind dozens of hours just to get any further credits I need. Also, Cosette as a Medic + Max Aid Range potential = overpowered as all hell. Someone dead? 1CP res + full heal from half a map or more away is ridiculous. Get up, carry on as usual!

Nice, here I thought that Medics were useless.

I haven't used them in the game since my June mission.

Giolon said:
I also went to SEGA's booth at the San Francisco J-Pop Summit this weekend and met RubyEclipse. I re-expressed in person my disappointment in VC3 being on PSP, and he said he only found out about it a week before the announcement. He also assured me that he wasn't lying when he says that buying VC2 on PSP does help the chances of it reappearing on consoles, but also said he couldn't tell me how it helps. He did tell me that VC2's early sales have been good, and its success will determine whether or not VC3 makes over here at all. So...I guess the new mantra is, if you want VC3 to be localized, buy VC2! :lol

Get over it dude, Sega of America is nothing but a marketing and publishing arm of Sega of Japan. There is NOTHING Sega of America can do about the direction of a franchise.

If SEGA won't localize it, fans will. When will more companies realize most consumers who buy Japanese developed games do not care about the dubs and would be very happy with just subtitles if it means the difference between releasing it here or never getting it?

Really, if the amount of money saved by axing English voice work + less localization time (ie, less pay to contracted employees for the project) would mean we get VC 3 (and other games in general), why wouldn't they do this? Make it a PSN only download, too, if you don't want to spend money on packaging.

Edit: I'm gonna say that Sega of America has little-to-no say in this decision, so all *potential future* blame should be placed on motherland Sega if VC 3's release in NA doesn't come to pass.

duckroll

I'm not worried about VC3 not being localized at all honestly. I mean sure, with declining PSP software sales, the 3DS on the horizon, and Japanese games selling less overseas, it's a possibility that Sega will abandon the franchise outside of Japan, but I really don't think the possibility is that high.

They've shown that they're willing to continue supporting stuff like Yakuza even with minimal sales, and there will still be notable (and some major) Japanese games released on the PSP outside of Japan in 2011, so honestly it's very premature to go "lol we're all doomed".

Hcoregamer00

TSA said:
If SEGA won't localize it, fans will. When will more companies realize most consumers who buy Japanese developed games do not care about the dubs and would be very happy with just subtitles if it means the difference between releasing it here or never getting it?

Really, if the amount of money saved by axing English voice work + less localization time (ie, less pay to contracted employees for the project) would mean we get VC 3 (and other games in general), why wouldn't they do this? Make it a PSN only download, too, if you don't want to spend money on packaging.

Edit: I'm gonna say that Sega of America has little-to-no say in this decision, so all *potential future* blame should be placed on motherland Sega if VC 3's release in NA doesn't come to pass.

Where is my fan translation of Radiant Mythology 2? Where are all the fan hacks into Sakura Taisen 1-4 or Sakura Taisen 1&2 for the PSP? There is just as much of a chance of something languishing as getting picked up by the gaming community.

duckroll said:
I'm not worried about VC3 not being localized at all honestly. I mean sure, with declining PSP software sales, the 3DS on the horizon, and Japanese games selling less overseas, it's a possibility that Sega will abandon the franchise outside of Japan, but I really don't think the possibility is that high.

They've shown that they're willing to continue supporting stuff like Yakuza even with minimal sales, and there will still be notable (and some major) Japanese games released on the PSP outside of Japan in 2011, so honestly it's very premature to go "lol we're all doomed".

Not to mention the ubiquity of online retailers means that "niche" games like Valkyria will always have buyers. Just because your local Best Buy, Gamestop, or Wal-Mart doesn't have a game doesn't mean that it is unobtainable.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Where is my fan translation of Radiant Mythology 2? Where are all the fan hacks into Sakura Taisen 1-4 or Sakura Taisen 1&2 for the PSP? There is just as much of a chance of something languishing as getting picked up by the gaming community.

Not to mention the ubiquity of online retailers means that "niche" games like Valkyria will always have buyers. Just because your local Best Buy, Gamestop, or Wal-Mart doesn't have a game doesn't mean that it is unobtainable.

I think because VC has more exposure to the fansub community thanks to the anime, there will be a group that will want to do VC 3's subs if the opportunity arises.

I do not prefer to play games in Japanese since I do not claim to know the language outside a few words and phrases. I would need it to be in English in some form. I mean, worst case scenario, I'd settle for a fan menu/combat guide like they did for FF XIII so I could play through it and enjoy it, but with VC, I want to know what's going on story wise. Thus, importing it or finding it at a US import shop here wouldn't be hard, but I would rather have the game officially released here.

Hcoregamer00

TSA said:
I think because VC has more exposure to the fansub community thanks to the anime, there will be a group that will want to do VC 3's subs if the opportunity arises.

I do not prefer to play games in Japanese since I do not claim to know the language outside a few words and phrases. I would need it to be in English in some form. I mean, worst case scenario, I'd settle for a fan menu/combat guide like they did for FF XIII so I could play through it and enjoy it, but with VC, I want to know what's going on story wise. Thus, importing it or finding it at a US import shop here wouldn't be hard, but I would rather have the game officially released here.

Your counterargument doesn't help since many major Tales games have had anime and manga iterations, same thing with Sakura Taisen.

Hamblasto

BLiTZ Day V is up!

It may only be stickers again, but both of them are from awesome games.

Vanquish Sticker: BUNLT4EXDS74QRCR

Skies of Arcadia Sticker (Western Exclusive): WVZLPTYXURS1Q8TV

RubyEclipse promises there will be more character codes in the future.

UPDATE: Sticker stats!

Vanquish: Improves AP - AP+10

Skies of Arcadia: Improves range and side defense - RgCrct+5, Sd Def+5

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
It was nice meeting you this weekend, Giolon. To add to the later comments by other posters, Sega west actually does have a pretty big say in whether or not to localize or bring the game over. I said this before with Yakuza 3 and the same thing holds true here - when it comes down to it, numbers speak loudest.

Also, new Skies of Arcadia tank sticker (western exclusive) and a new VANQUISH sticker: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/09/20/valkyria-chronicles-community-blitz-special-edition-part-v/

Edit: Ninja'd by Ham!

Hcoregamer00

RubyEclipse said:
It was nice meeting you this weekend, Giolon. To add to the later comments by other posters, Sega west actually does have a pretty big say in whether or not to localize or bring the game over. I said this before with Yakuza 3 and the same thing holds true here - when it comes down to it, numbers speak loudest.

Our comment was regarding the decision to make the game for the PSP. I have no doubts on Sega of America's ability to localize, I just mentioned that you got unnecessary flack for a decision that was way out of your control.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Hcoregamer00 said:
Our comment was regarding the decision to make the game for the PSP. I have no doubts on Sega of America's ability to localize, I just mentioned that you got unnecessary flack for a decision that was way out of your control.
Ah, very true. We certainly do get to throw in our opinion (I have been yelling "PS3! PS3!" and "Trophies! Trophies!" for the last year), but it's only one piece of the bigger equation.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Get over it dude, Sega of America is nothing but a marketing and publishing arm of Sega of Japan. There is NOTHING Sega of America can do about the direction of a franchise.
[...]
I was polite and didn't presume to speak for anyone else - it's my feedback. I don't blame him (I blame SEGA of Japan for not seemingly giving 2 flips about the US & EU audience). All I said was that I was crushed by that announcement, but I've warmed up to it a bit once the initial shock passed (it certainly helps that almost everything about it looks great and like a better direction to go than VC2 did).

RubyEclipse said:
It was nice to meet you too! I did forget to mention that despite my complaints about the cast and platform choice, I am enjoying VC2 quite a bit. Not as much as the first, but more than I expected to I think.

I'll update the OP and Community BLiTZ posts when I get home from work. I can't take the time to fix them up in the middle of the day. >.<

Oh, oh I forgot to mention in my previous post that I almost went all fanboy when
Aliasse had her conversation with Alicia
in September. It was a bit hamhanded, but it was endearing, and I think it nicely places the timing of the VC1 Epilogue around 1939-1942.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Oh, oh I forgot to mention in my previous post that I almost went all fanboy when
Aliasse had her conversation with Alicia
in September. It was a bit hamhanded, but it was endearing, and I think it nicely places the timing of the VC1 Epilogue around 1939-1942.

Yes, that made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

It it is a pity that Alicia couldn't get such a warm and fuzzy discussion with
General Selvaria

Giolon said:
I was polite and didn't presume to speak for anyone else - it's my feedback. I don't blame him (I blame SEGA of Japan for not seemingly giving 2 flips about the US & EU audience). All I said was that I was rushed by that announcement, but I've warmed up to it a bit once the initial shock passed (it certainly helps that almost everything about it looks great and like a better direction to go than VC2 did).

From the way you described it, it almost sounded like you were lecturing him :lol

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm definitely a ways off, as I'm just in August now, but what does the New Game + entail? What aspects of your squad do you get to keep, if any? Like class levels, weapons research, etc.?

DarthWoo said:
I'm definitely a ways off, as I'm just in August now, but what does the New Game + entail? What aspects of your squad do you get to keep, if any? Like class levels, weapons research, etc.?

You keep everything. You can skip to any mission you've played/unlocked for any month at anytime, as well. You get new 3 Star missions each month, starting with 1 in January. You get more as you complete them. You can also stick in any month as long as you want to trigger skits between characters to try to unlock all those. More missions become available for purchase or outright unlocked as you get As in more missions and complete months (designated with a Complete icon next to month or category). It's also not necessarily New Game+, rather it's just being able to replay everything over again at your leisure from your existing file.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Your counterargument doesn't help since many major Tales games have had anime and manga iterations, same thing with Sakura Taisen.

Hardly anyone in the "fansub community" cared about the Tales anime :lol

I don't really know about how Valkyria was received, though, other than people who played the game first didn't like the liberties it took with the characters.

AleeN634

Quixzlizx said:
I don't really know about how Valkyria was received, though, other than people who played the game first didn't like the liberties it took with the characters.

I remember having to switch the fansub group I was following since they dropped it partway through for the same reason.

On the VC2 side didn't get a chance to play much this weekend since I was playing Ace Combat: Joint Assault and then caught a cold but should return to making some progress this week. Added a couple of the new guys to my squad to see if their stories were any good (Nahum, Pete) and made it to the middle of August.

Magari gets 0 Certs after killing 4 dudes and capturing

Cosette, whose only action was to buff Magari, and Noel, who OHKO'd a Tank, both get Certs.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You're approaching certs from the wrong way. What you're supposed to do is get credit for as many people as possible per mission. As long as they get at least one point they'll have a chance of getting what you want. You're just making yourself miserable by grinding. Here are some tips..

Pay attention to what the mission hands out and make sure the people that need those certs get credit.
Get close to completing the mission ahead of the A rank time then use that extra time for credit.
You can get credit most easily by deploying someone on a base near an enemy, getting credit for killing it, then going back to standby.
Get cheap credit for armor techs by disarming mines.
Get cheap credit for engineers by healing or repairing.

I get credit for 10-15 people on average per mission and still get a high score (again, defined as an A rank w/ all camps, red hats, leaders, tanks, aces, and no deaths). Not having any problems promoting people either despite not playing any mission more than once. It's all about efficiency and increasing your chances. What I'm most disappointed about is that there isn't a hard mode or a no grinding mode. The game is flat out too easy for anyone experienced with VC.

Hamblasto said:
RubyEclipse promises there will be more character codes in the future.
Yes, there has to be. We are still missing
Ramal, Maximillian, Mintz, engineer Aliasse, lancer Cosette, armor tech Zeri, and Julius Kroze.

Giolon

mjemirzian said:
You're approaching certs from the wrong way. What you're supposed to do is get credit for as many people as possible per mission. As long as they get at least one point they'll have a chance of getting what you want. You're just making yourself miserable by grinding. Here are some tips..

Pay attention to what the mission hands out and make sure the people that need those certs get credit.
Get close to completing the mission ahead of the A rank time then use that extra time for credit.
You can get credit most easily by deploying someone on a base near an enemy, getting credit for killing it, then going back to standby.

I get credit for 10-15 people on average per mission and still get a high score (again, defined as an A rank w/ all camps, red hats, leaders, tanks, aces, and no deaths). Not having any problems promoting people either despite not playing any mission more than once. It's all about efficiency and increasing your chances.

This has basically been my strategy for the last few weeks, but it still only goes so far due to randomness. You can take someone you need on a mission that grants ArmsII X, for example, a dozen times, have them land in 1st place, last place, and every place in between and still not come out with what you need. It's why some of my people are sitting on piles of things like Diplomas, and others are starving for them.

mjemirzian said:

I get credit for 10-15 people on average per mission and still get a high score (again, defined as an A rank w/ all camps, red hats, leaders, tanks, aces, and no deaths). Not having any problems promoting people either despite not playing any mission more than once. It's all about efficiency and increasing your chances. What I'm most disappointed about is that there isn't a hard mode or a no grinding mode. The game is flat out too easy for anyone experienced with VC.

Look, thanks for the tip, and if you're having no problems with getting the Credits you need, more power to you, but I already know how Credit acquisition works. I also get around a dozen or more people acquiring Credits after missions.

I have been using Magari consistently since April (read: every single mission). I am currently in November, where the average mook is already 3rd tier and has been for a while. No certificates.

I have every single Credit needed to promote Magari to every single branch in her entire promotion tree except for a Certificate.

She has healed others, repaired the APC, killed Aces, killed leaders, and captured camps. No certificates.

I have done every single mission thus far that allows you to acquire Certificates, and Magari has not walked away from a single one of them with a Certificate.

Other characters whom I have subbed in (including one forced on you in the middle of September) have already gotten their Certificates. Magari has not.

The chances of you acquiring a Certificate go down starting around the end of August because you can now acquire up to six different Credits in a single mission and still have only up to three slots (usually two) with which to earn them.

So please excuse me if I don't find your advice particularly helpful.

Pureauthor said:
I also get around a dozen or more people acquiring Credits after missions.
That doesn't matter if you're grinding because you can play any mission as many times as you want. Secondly, your units are far more powerful than someone who hasn't been grinding, so you can hardly compare your mission results to mine.

Pureauthor said:
I have been using Magari consistently since April (read: every single mission). I am currently in November, where the average mook is already 3rd tier and has been for a while. No certificates.

She has healed others, repaired the APC, killed Aces, killed leaders, and captured camps. No certificates.
It doesn't matter if most everyone else is already promoted. The game isn't designed to be played with personal biases for one unit. Why would you mention her activities when it doesn't matter what they do as long as they have at least one credit at the end of the mission? You claim to know how it works then mention irrelevant details. You're just ranting.

Pureauthor said:
The chances of you acquiring a Certificate go down starting around the end of August
Uhh, grind the earlier missions?

Pureauthor said:
So please excuse me if I don't find your advice particularly helpful.
Um, right. My advice was for people who wanted to play the game without grinding while still having enough credits to promote a reasonable number of people, not people who are hung up on their favorite character who they can't get a certificate for. For you there's no advice but to keep on grinding.

Giolon said:
This has basically been my strategy for the last few weeks, but it still only goes so far due to randomness.
Yes, that's why you use as many people as possible per mission. For example, if you have a mission that gives Mrch and Mrch X, try to get credit for as many scouts and armor techs as possible. The odds are in your favor someone will get something to promote with, even if it's not the person you would prefer.

mjemirzian said:
That doesn't matter if you're grinding because you can play any mission as many times as you want. Secondly, your units are far more powerful than someone who hasn't been grinding, so you can hardly compare your mission results to mine.

In which case, who were you talking to when you said that 'you would only make yourself miserable' by grinding?

And, no, grinding missions for drops don't make your characters noticeably stronger in the main game - you always have more than enough money to stay on top of upgrades anyway, and the experience gained from earlier missions (AKA the ones that can be done quickly for Credits) isn't enough to make a difference. Not that individual levels make a large difference by themselves.

It doesn't matter if most everyone else is already promoted. The game isn't designed to be played with personal biases for one unit. Why would you mention her activities when it doesn't matter what they do as long as they have at least one credit at the end of the mission? You claim to know how it works then mention irrelevant details. You're just ranting.

If the game isn't designed with the idea of using individual units on the basis of personality and/or usefulness, then why are there classmate missions designed to expand our knowledge and understanding of the various characters? Why does each character have different Potentials that allow them to be used in specific classes or situations?

Also, in case you hadn't noted it the first time, Magari has every single Credit needed for everything except a Certificate. A single drop is the only thing keeping me from moving her to whatever class I want.

Um, right. My advice was for people who wanted to play the game without grinding while still having enough credits to promote a reasonable number of people, not people who are hung up on their favorite character who they can't get a certificate for. For you there's no advice but to keep on grinding.

In which case I am fairly certain that anyone who played the game for any reasonable amount of time would have already noticed to the methods needed for acquiring Credits in general. And once more - if the developers did not intend for us to use characters on the basis of our like or dislike for them, why give each one distinct personalities and roles in combat, even within the same subclasses?

Pureauthor said:
In which case, who were you talking to when you said that 'you would only make yourself miserable' by grinding?

And, no, grinding missions for drops don't make your characters noticeably stronger in the main game
I was addressing anyone who is playing the game in a manner that frustrates them. You're not the first person to complain about the credit system.

Grinding does make the game significantly easier. You can early promote people (better stats, weapons, etc.), access infinite XP and funds, and unlock potentials. You can switch classes around and potential grind to get a brokenly powerful double action, double movement fencer elite Avan for example. You do not have enough funds to afford all upgrades, which you would know if you actually tried it. You have limited resources to develop weapons with. Infinite XP means better stats, access to more orders, and not having to choose between levels and buying orders from Alicia and Welkin. In addition, if you only play the missions once each, you can't afford to miss out on XP, aces, or resources because all of those things are limited instead of unlimited. You have to do it all in one attempt, instead of getting an A on one try, then the ace on another try, then the resources on a third try, etc. Of course you should be aiming for a high score anyway.

Pureauthor said:
If the game isn't designed with the idea of using individual units on the basis of personality and/or usefulness, then why are there classmate missions designed to expand our knowledge and understanding of the various characters?
You don't need to promote people to get their classmate missions, you just have to use them. Didn't use someone enough to get their classmate mission? New Game+

mjemirzian said:
Grinding does make the game significantly easier. You can early promote people (better stats, weapons, etc.), access infinite XP and funds, and unlock potentials. You can switch classes around and potential grind to get a brokenly powerful double action, double movement fencer elite Avan for example. You do not have enough funds to afford all upgrades, which you would know if you actually tried it. You have limited resources to develop weapons with. Infinite XP means better stats, access to more orders, and not having to choose between levels and buying orders from Alicia and Welkin. In addition, if you only play the missions once each, you can't afford to miss out on XP, aces, or resources because all of those things are limited instead of unlimited. You have to do it all in one attempt, instead of getting an A on one try, then the ace on another try, then the resources on a third try, etc.

I'm willing to chalk the rest up to differences in playstyle and acknowledge you as being right insofar that you don't worry about individual classmates, but concerning the bolded statement:

I have every single relevant upgrade (AKA I ignored any Vehicular upgrades not connected to the Utility APC because I do not intend to use them, ever) up to November, and I had them before I ever started grinding (and in an easy to complete March mission where the payload is pitiful, too), and I still have over 300, 000 DCT that I have nothing to do with. So I honestly don't know why you have money issues.

Pureauthor said:
I'm willing to chalk the rest up to differences in playstyle and acknowledge you as being right insofar that you don't worry about individual classmates, but concerning the bolded statement:

I have every single relevant upgrade (AKA I ignored any Vehicular upgrades not connected to the Utility APC because I do not intend to use them, ever) up to November, and I had them before I ever started grinding (and in an easy to complete March mission where the payload is pitiful, too), and I still have over 300, 000 DCT that I have nothing to do with. So I honestly don't know why you have money issues.

Even if you ignore a bunch of stuff like sidegrades and tank upgrades, you still won't have enough funds at the beginning of a month to upgrade all the new stuff plus the purchasable missions. By the end of the month I usually have just about everything purchased, but then another round of upgrades begins. There are also two sides to upgrades. You need both funds and materials, which are usually in limited supply.

Lain

I keep spending my time in February doing some free missions and somewhat Mirion's first mission popped up. Had to redo it a couple times. The first time I didn't like that some of my men died while trying to kill the ace, so I did a reset. The second time I finished it in 2 turns but didn't save and when I did it again I got 2 people inside the light tank blown up, which meant reload, so I redid it a third time, finished it in two turns again but got Eloise (my tank) blown up (which made me get a medal, lol).

Anyways, I've noticed that the units disposition change when redoing missions, although I thought the aces would always be in the same spot. I only saw the ace in the mission the first time around (and he was hard to take down, especially because I can't change classes to the advanced ones yet while that map is rife with them).

Yeah enemies are placed semi-randomly in one of 2-3 positions. Aces usually have two spawn points. I kind of like it, makes each mission a little more exciting and unpredictable and you have to adjust your strategy on the fly with no reloading. Kind of like Fire Emblem.

jcm

Okay, Akihiko-senpai is beating the shit out of me in April. Is this is difficulty spike, or a preview of how hard the game is about to become? I'm only willing to struggle so much with games. If it's a single difficult battle I'll persevere, but if the rest of the game is like this I'll restart on easy.

I've tried to follow the advice in this thread, but I'm still losing badly. Any additional tips would be appreciated.

It is a difficulty spike, for sure. My strat was to grab bases as quickly as possible using shocks. Try to capture bases 'backwards' so you can deploy from a position behind the enemies. Most importantly, you want the utility APC with rockbreaker and constructor arm. On the first turn repair the ladder near your start point then drive north over the ice and start wrecking havoc with a flamethrower. Up the repaired ladder you can start a series of backwards base captures and hit enemy tanks and shocks from behind.

Leave shocks behind at the captured bases and standby them (press triangle) as you progress towards the warehouse. The warehouse is the toughest part because there's usually tanks, artillery, and shocks nearby and it's hard to get around behind them. Just use some lancers and shocks to clear that out.

As for the boss.. just avoid him if you can. He can definitely ruin your day if you get unlucky.

This strat got me an A and all bases captured bonus.

Pureauthor said:
Magari gets 0 Certs after killing 4 dudes and capturing

Cosette, whose only action was to buff Magari, and Noel, who OHKO'd a Tank, both get Certs.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I went so far as to taking Avan into a Mrch X mission solo, A-ranked, killed A LOT of enemies, and he still only came out with Mrch credits. It's stupid. I hate it when RPG drops are totally random.

Everyone's got all sorts of random crap but are still usually one short of upgrading. It's like the McDonald's Monopoly game where everyone's got Park Place and is missing Boardwalk.

I'll bet it's not random. I'll bet the developers are using a deliberate withholding system to lengthen gameplay.

Hcoregamer00

jcm said:
Okay, Akihiko-senpai is beating the shit out of me in April. Is this is difficulty spike, or a preview of how hard the game is about to become? I'm only willing to struggle so much with games. If it's a single difficult battle I'll persevere, but if the rest of the game is like this I'll restart on easy.

I've tried to follow the advice in this thread, but I'm still losing badly. Any additional tips would be appreciated.

The March & April missions are the hardest in the game, the game gets SO MUCH EASIER after that.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The March & April missions are the hardest in the game, the game gets SO MUCH EASIER after that.

Depends on your goals. If you try to get the highest score possible on each mission the difficulty is maintained and then some.

Giolon

Siliconera has a new interview posted with the VC series producer. He has a hilariously inflated opinion of the quality, uniqueness, and likeability of their main VC2 cast:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/20/shinji-motoyama-reflects-on-valkyria-chronicles-ii/

Some choice quotes:
We also thought it would be easier for the players to reflect themselves onto the characters, because most people have experienced school life up to their late teens.
The problem is, this is not a realistic high school (closest to a boarding school, which isn't a particularly common experience), nor is it populated with realistic characters. Everyone is a stereotype or anime trope.

Avan turned out just perfect. Nowadays, a character like him rarely appears even in a Japanese game, but we believe he is the right person for Valkyria Chronicles II.
Almost made me choke on my green tea during lunch.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Siliconera has a new interview posted with the VC series producer. He has a hilariously inflated opinion of the quality, uniqueness, and likeability of their main VC2 cast:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/20/shinji-motoyama-reflects-on-valkyria-chronicles-ii/

Some choice quotes:

Here are some more quotes with my thoughts.

The base image of the setting is Eastern Europe after World War II, including the former Germany divided into the East and West. Based on that idea, we framed a story well suited for the Valkyria Chronicles brand to create Valkyria Chronicles II

Pretty freaking awesome, so they really did design Valkyria 2 as a continuation of World War II by following history a little bit. Makes you wonder what will be the historical influence for Valkyira 3 since it sounds more like Ingluorious Basterds more than any historical influence.

Now that the game is complete, I agree that Avan turned out just perfect. Nowadays, a character like him rarely appears even in a Japanese game, but we believe he is the right person for Valkyria Chronicles II.

Screw you guys, his character appears too often in Anime and Manga. Avan is basically Naruto or Monkey D. Luffy without the charm.

Adding episodes of each character is another major change. Valkyria Chronicles II has 30 mini scenarios in addition to the main story. We heard from many of the prequel fans that they wanted to see more stories of the secondary characters, so it was important to make that wish come true.

Yes, you did it and it worked wonderfully well. You better expand upon it for Valkyria 3.

Besides the games, we would also like to extend the franchise to other media such as comics and anime. Personally, I wish to novelize the story. When the story is described only in writing, it could provide us different aspects of the story compared to the game or anime. …Besides, I love reading!

If they make an anime of Valkyria II, Anisette, Coleen, and Marion better get more air time or I will have to hurt someone.

Hamblasto

BLiTZ Part VI is up!

No new character. But if you want to represent for Edy, there's a new sticker for you.

Squad 7's "Idol" Sticker: R5PT1MXEY3BW8VBE

Sticker Stats: Imprvs vs prsnnl atk, less crit def - VsPsnl+5, AilRes-5

For those of you with Phantasy Star Portable 2, there's also a code you can use to get an Edelweiss room item.

PSP2 Edelweiss Item: 54333358

jcm

mjemirzian said:
It is a difficulty spike, for sure. My strat was to grab bases as quickly as possible using shocks. Try to capture bases 'backwards' so you can deploy from a position behind the enemies. Most importantly, you want the utility APC with rockbreaker and constructor arm. On the first turn repair the ladder near your start point then drive north over the ice and start wrecking havoc with a flamethrower. Up the repaired ladder you can start a series of backwards base captures and hit enemy tanks and shocks from behind.

Leave shocks behind at the captured bases and standby them (press triangle) as you progress towards the warehouse. The warehouse is the toughest part because there's usually tanks, artillery, and shocks nearby and it's hard to get around behind them. Just use some lancers and shocks to clear that out.

As for the boss.. just avoid him if you can. He can definitely ruin your day if you get unlucky.

This strat got me an A and all bases captured bonus.

Thanks. I'll try again on my way home. Edit: Success! Thanks for your help. I actually wound up killing the boss after he finally made a mistake and got trapped between my APC and sniper.

Hcoregamer00 said:

That's a relief. I like a challenge, but too hard and I get frustrated.

jcm said:
That's a relief. I like a challenge, but too hard and I get frustrated.

There's another moderately difficult mission come August, but by then (most) of your troops should be in a better position to deal with things.

Phenomic

Oh man time to join this thread once again. Just finished Birth By Sleep .. what a rush that ones going to be hard to top in my book. How does Valkyria 2 compare end game because I feel like I've probably done the playthroughs in the wrong order.

I don't think the gameplay experience changes significantly. If you enjoy the beginning you'll enjoy the endgame. They throw more environmental gimmicks at you, of course, but most of them are relatively minor.

Lain

Maybe something is wrong with me but after a scene in which Avan ends up competing with Noel on who eats more food (because he's a dumbass) I'm starting to like him and all his idiocy.
I'm really liking all these little scenes. Also, I love Melissa and her mad stalking skills.

duckroll

Lain said:
Maybe something is wrong with me but after a scene in which Avan ends up competing with Noel on who eats more food (because he's a dumbass) I'm starting to like him and all his idiocy.
I'm really liking all these little scenes. Also, I love Melissa and her mad stalking skills.

Stockholm Syndrome. It's not that unusual, and it's very hard to cure. Sorry. :(

Avan is starting to annoy me now... in no way does he come across as any sort of leader except for just simply being a headstrong and stubborn fool.

I guess they were trying for that hot-blooded spirit with a kind heart deal, but for some reason, it's not flying.

It's unfortunate, because it seems all the other characters somehow revolve around him, making them equally unlikeable.

Even though there are a lot more mini-stories about these side characters, I don't feel nearly as attached to them as the less talked about side characters from VC1.

The tropes are laid on pretty darn thick, and it feels a little too much like a generic/bad high school anime. The characters are so one dimensional that they always respond in exactly the same way, no matter what scenario they get thrown into. It just seems like pointless interaction that only reinforces their one-dimensionality.

Classic Drinking Game: when you watch a scene, try to predict how each character will react before you hit X, and see how close you are. Every time you get it right, take a swig.

Top Bottom