• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
I'm only in feb, but do you really have to grind free missions multiple times just to survive?

I'm not planning on playing any one mission more than once.

Nah, you can probably beat the entire game using nothing but base classes even if you don't get the credits to upgrade them. I think most of us just prefer to be able to upgrade characters we like into the advanced classes to make them stronger and more powerful. That's why we're forced to grind, because the credits system is stupid and random and broken. :/

I'm enjoying it so far. Just got to march. Missions are short and easy. Trying to get as many people out into the field as possible for kills/credit. All As and all score-rewarding enemies, no grinding. Sometimes it's hard to tell because most of the free missions have randomized enemy placements.

So far up to feb I'm finding shocktroopers to be the most useful. Maps are small enough that scouts extra AP doesn't matter too much, and my shocks can ORKO crouching enemy shocks which no other class can do at the moment (only requires 1 CP instead of 2).

Interesting how the game encourages you to deploy as little as possible initially then deploy from new spots as you capture them.

I see the crazy taxi sticker has morale +50 but I'm not exactly sure what that means.. could it mean you get 50 more morale per kill or capture or whatever? It seems to go up faster when I deploy the tank with that sticker on it.

Really liking the skip enemy turn thing.

Hamblasto

Taking a break from grinding for credits. So, here's a list of the all the unlockable sticker stats (copied verbatim):

Gallian Militia: Improves HP slightly - HP+10

Witch Profile: Adds AP+vs armor atk, less crit def - AP+5, VsArmr+5, AilRes-10

Isara's Dream: Adds turret turn spd+range, less HP - HP-5, RgCrct+5, TrtSpd+5

BLiTZ: Improves range and fire correction - AcCrct YES, RgCrct+5

SEGA Logo: Improves range slightly - RgCrct+5

Little Wing: Imprvs HP and rear defense slightly - HP+5, Rr Def+2

Sonic: Improves AP and range - AP+5, RgCrct+5

Super Monkey Ball: Improves AP and suppression - AP+5, Suprss Up

Yakuza: Improves HP and range - HP+5, RgCrct+5

Crazy Taxi: Improves AP and morale - AP+5, Morale+50

I haven't found any of them incredibly useful; I just like having Selvaria on the side of my APC.

I can confirm that the +50 morale on the crazi taxi sticker applies +50 extra morale every time anyone scores a kill (and probably a capture). Even if you don't use your tank you will gain morale more quickly as long as it's deployed. So uh yeah.. want to make an easy game easier?

duckroll

Morale doesn't really do jack shit though, so it doesn't really matter. :lol

I'm more interested in how the other stickers work? Are they all squad-wide buffs? I'm leaving the Witch sticker on my APC anyway, it looks the best so far, and more importantly, it keeps ME motivated. :D

Marina just became an AT Sniper! Go me! ^_^

Finished the story yesterday evening. Holy crap at the sheer number of unlockables in post-game >< They added numerous weapons and gear in that Max development level ^^;

3 stars missions give ~300k xp and ~200k dct but everything costs a lot so you really need to complete a lot of missions just to get everything for one class.

Don't know how much I'll invest in this as I have other games I need to finish, and well there's VC3 in January so maybe I'll just take a break for now.

Lain

I'm still only in February, spending my time doing free missions to get exp and and dct to upgrade my squad and enjoy the game, and I already hate that haha, hahaha Avan does, although it makes me laugh as well because it sounds so awkward.

Hamblasto

duckroll said:

I'm more interested in how the other stickers work? Are they all squad-wide buffs? I'm leaving the Witch sticker on my APC anyway, it looks the best so far, and more importantly, it keeps ME motivated. :D

Marina just became an AT Sniper! Go me! ^_^

I can't confirm it, but I always thought that, aside from the morale boost, the stats only affected the APC/tank.

Lain said:
I already hate that haha, hahaha Avan does, although it makes me laugh as well because it sounds so awkward.

The JP voice? Or the American one? JP one sounds rather awkward too... and then there's this weird sigh/huh? sound that he makes sometimes and it sounds like he's a robot or something. o_O;

Still, I can't stand Cossette's english voice counterpart. The grunts are annoying. JP sounds good tho. :)

I'm still in February, and already I've been able to optimize my tactics to perform A-rank rushes. Scouts are still way too powerful.

duckroll said:

Morale increases the chance for good potentials to activate by a huge amount, making stuff like Lynn's Hard Worker practically guaranteed. It also heavily reduces the chance of negative potentials to go off. So it's actually really important once you have access to lots of overpowered potentials that you know will go off all the time. Pretty sure the other stickers only affect your tank but it should be easy to test.

I'm in march and not having problem getting certificates without grinding. There's a 30% chance to get a cert per mission, and since I am deploying about 5-9 people per mission, there's a pretty high chance at least one of them will get it.. then I rotate someone out once they have a cert. Still getting all S ranks still of course.

Most annoying mission to S rank so far has been The War Hero. Not because it's difficult, but because you have 3 turns to S rank (it's a 6 turn survival), and there's enemies randomly placed and hidden in the grass. I kept running out of CP on the easter egg hunt trying to spot hidden enemies at night even using Marina for night vision spotting.

Kind of wish they explained credits system better also currently feels like a slog because of all the extra missions. Coating subsystem seems like a bit much considering there's different stats per class.

RpgN

What are those codes? Do they work for EU as well and are they always valid?

Ps. I'm playing more of the game through weekend and am in February. Enjoying the game more and more and getting more options. I have 2 questions though:

1. There were a few side events that I left and slept, I think one or 2 of them disappeared. If you don't read/view them while they're availabe on that day, will you never get the chance to read them again? I thought I could sleep and divide the events with gameplay, create some balance but now I'm afraid I might have missed one or 2.

2. How many missions are there total excluding and including multiplayer missions? DLCs not included.

Lain

radiantdreamer said:
The JP voice? Or the American one? JP one sounds rather awkward too... and then there's this weird sigh/huh? sound that he makes sometimes and it sounds like he's a robot or something. o_O;

English voice. I have no idea how he sounds in Japanese, but that laugh makes him sound so much dumber, which is no small feat.

RpgN

archnemesis said:
A review I read last week mentioned over 200 missions.

Sounds a lot for VC 0_0 I guess they went with quantity rather than less but more quality this time. But I guess that works well for short bursts and portables. And thanks!

And I checked that Sega blog and read about those codes, omg! Playing wit Isara and Selvaria etc, and a bunch of cool stickers! I used all the codes on my EU copy and they all work. That's really nice and a treat for fans. And I'm so glad it works for EU, it would have been a big shame to be left out on this one.

I searched about my first question:

1. There were a few side events that I left and slept, I think one or 2 of them disappeared. If you don't read/view them while they're availabe on that day, will you never get the chance to read them again? I thought I could sleep and divide the events with gameplay, create some balance but now I'm afraid I might have missed one or 2.

but I didn't find anything, if anyone finds an answer for it, I'd really appreciate it if you share it here :D

duckroll

VC1 had like 20 or so unique maps, and every single story mission was unique. 18 chapters in total.

VC2 has like 10 or so unique maps, and not even every main story mission has a unique map. Most of them do though. 12 chapters in total.

VC1 is clearly a much larger game than VC2 in terms of actual unique content and the amount of unique assets, variety, and quality of design. VC2 is much smaller and cheaper to make, but ends up being a much longer game because of tons and tons and tons of relatively cheap reuse.

anddo0

Pureauthor said:
Fencer Elite Aleixs! Woohoo!

And every classmate mission available in the 1st playthrough done, too.

Alexis Fencer Elite+Morris Mauler= unstoppable force. When those two are deployed the game becomes almost too easy. I also have Nichol as At Sniper, crazy stomping power, who needs a tank?

I doubt I'll get all classmate missions, only because there are certain characters I refuse to use..
Vicky
and
Jamill
come to mind, I just can't stand those two.

RpgN

duckroll said:
VC1 had like 20 or so unique maps, and every single story mission was unique. 18 chapters in total.

VC2 has like 10 or so unique maps, and not even every main story mission has a unique map. Most of them do though. 12 chapters in total.

VC1 is clearly a much larger game than VC2 in terms of actual unique content and the amount of unique assets, variety, and quality of design. VC2 is much smaller and cheaper to make, but ends up being a much longer game because of tons and tons and tons of relatively cheap reuse.

Yes, I imagined it would be like that exactly. While I enjoy playing extra missions, that kind of approach becomes stale after a while, playing many missions on the same map over and over again. I personally prefer quality over quantity. I can stomach 200 missions but it makes the game less special after a while. The way Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core handled it turned me off from the game as well. I kept doing missions and new ones kept coming, it shows more how repetitve and cheap it is, at least put a cap or add new mission after clearing more of the main story or something! Jeanne d'Arc was a good game because all of its 35+ stages were unique and different, also with the extra free stages.

That's another reason why I'm so excited for Valkyria Chronicles 3, where they're going to tone down or get rid of the amount of missions, reduce the amount of soldiers to 20 instead of 50+ and 35, and have less classes and make them more balanced. It sounds like VC3 is trying to be more quality and less quantity :D

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I guess I wasn't paying attention or something, because I can't figure out how to set extra leaders in my squad. Anyone remember how to do this?

duckroll

DarthWoo said:
I guess I wasn't paying attention or something, because I can't figure out how to set extra leaders in my squad. Anyone remember how to do this?

Go to Edit Group in the Briefing Room. Select your current group, then go into the menu that allows you to select who to deploy or put into reserves. In this menu you can use a button... I think [], to toggle leaders on/off. Avan cannot be removed as a leader, but your second leader can be the vehicle, the 3 other main story characters, or any character who has been upgraded to the second tier at least.

RpgN said:
Jeanne d'Arc was a good game

Nope.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, that battle at
the Darcsen village where that General ran around with his hammer of death killing everyone and I had to capture the three bases. That battle can go fuck itself! I BARELY scrapped by that one, and hope I never have to retry that again! >.>

Enron

Banned
duckroll said:

Wait, what? VC2 only has TEN maps that just get reused over and over?

/me looks at copy of vc2

/me looks at trash can

Enron said:
Wait, what? VC2 only has TEN maps that just get reused over and over?

/me looks at copy of vc2

/me looks at trash can

If you've got the game you might as well keep playing until you get bored.

Also I've thrown in the stupid towel and I'm going to redo an early mission so I get Magari the Certificates she needs. *^%@$

duckroll said:

I think you're overestimating the amount of unique maps in VC. All of the skirmish and DLC maps are repeats, and a few of the campaign maps repeat themselves (the windmill and vasel bridge get reused within the campaign, for example).

VC2 has a large number of smaller maps linked together. The designers mix things up by changing around blockades, ladders, bases, enemy layouts, etc. and it keeps things fresh. Well it's fresh for me anyway, since I have not been playing the same map twice.

So it looks like the developer challenge is to get the highest score/reward on each map. This means getting an A rank, kill all leaders, tanks, and aces, no deaths, kill the yellow hat enemy for extra resources, and capture every base for extra resources. This is more challenging than the original VC, which only asks you to get an A rank and kill all tanks, leaders, and aces for the highest score. On top of getting the best score, you can start adding player defined challenges. I've chosen not to play the same mission twice, so no grinding for XP/money/credits.

Anyway.. just reached May. Promotions are coming in very slowly. I just promoted my first sniper.

Trent Strong said:
I'm getting tired of those V2s. Sometimes I just can't figure out how to get to the damn support tank.

Fencers (and Fencer Elites) can still maul V2s with their aura in about 3CP if no other option presents itself.

Chesskid1 said:
easy question to answer: do you have to play the first one on ps3 to enjoy the 2nd one? thanks.

Nope. Just understand that there was a big war two years prior and the whole country is hurting right now.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
I think you're overestimating the amount of unique maps in VC.

No I'm not. I'm not counting any of the skirmish, optional, or DLC maps at all. Why don't you go count how many unique maps there are yourself. :)

Pureauthor said:
Fencers (and Fencer Elites) can still maul V2s with their aura in about 3CP if no other option presents itself.

Nope. Just understand that there was a big war two years prior and the whole country is hurting right now.

My fencers always get shot to death by the V2s with auras if I try to approach them from any distance. I guess I just need to raise their levels.

Pureauthor said:
Er, are you approaching them head-on?

Because Fencers are all but invincible if you approach them head-on.

I thought I was, but maybe I'm not being careful enough about it and I'm getting hit in the side. My fencers get pretty damaged even approaching a non-supported V2. I'll have to try making sure that I'm really keeping the shield in front of me from now on and see what happens.

jcm

I haven't been reading anything about this game to avoid spoilers, so I just started checking out this thread for tips after I got my ass whupped in April. That battle is so much harder than anything I've run into yet.

Anyway, I'm surprised to learn armored techs are useful. I've just been leaning on scout/shock/lance. I guess I've got some work to do to get them caught up.

RpgN

duckroll said:

Each to his own. I liked its variety, graphics, music, story and gameplay with its mixing skills and simple yet effective fights. It's a bit on the easy side and could have been more challenging.

I'm interested to know why you don't like the game Duckroll?

Do you just hate Level 5 games in general? Because there seem to be many people who don't and that's enough to turn them off their games.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pureauthor said:
Still no Certificate for Magari. The game officially hates me and is doing its best to suck the joy from my life.

I know how you feel.

I was able to get one for Selvaria and upgrade her to a scout elite ASAP, but it refuses to give me a certificate for
Aliasse
. Even if I put her through some of the craziest, most dangerous missions that are WAY out of her class skill.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Still no Certificate for Magari. The game officially hates me and is doing its best to suck the joy from my life.

Engineers seem to be the hardest to get Certicates and Diplomas for. For me Randy, Sofia and Magari were the last of the original squad members to be upgraded.

Managed to A rank the August mission. Was struggling until I lifted the ban on "Cptd AA Gtg A1". Fitting it on a Light Tank B just made it even more ridiculous.

I know how you feel.

I was able to get one for Selvaria and upgrade her to a scout elite ASAP, but it refuses to give me a certificate for
Aliasse
. Even if I put her through some of the craziest, most dangerous missions that are WAY out of her class skill.

march mission Storming the Bridge is your friend here. It can be completed in one turn using only a scout and construction APC. Should get you a certificate pretty quickly.

duckroll

1 more mission to go before the Story mission in November now. Made Morris a Spec Tech. Coleen's finally out of the hospital. Things are finally looking good again for my squad. :lol

Lain said:
English voice. I have no idea how he sounds in Japanese, but that laugh makes him sound so much dumber, which is no small feat.

The JP voice makes him sound dumb too. Every other part of the game he sounds like Zack Faire (JP version)...

Just finished March. Man, those V2s kicked my ass. Took me a while to realize fencers deal with them... do snipers work against them too?

radiantdreamer said:
Just finished March. Man, those V2s kicked my ass. Took me a while to realize fencers deal with them... do snipers work against them too?

Snipers only really work if you take out the Supply Vehicles first.

Top Bottom