• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-Age: Can't keep that framerate up? Don't lower your settings, cap your framerate!

DeadGzuz

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
But yeah, bottomline, if your ACTUAL framerate average is around 25 - 45fps with occasional spikes at +60 ....why not just lock it to 30

Because you can't? If the real frame rate is 25, you cannot lock it at 30. With sync on (which is what this whole convoluted post is about really) you can only have integer divisions of 60Hz. So 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, etc.

So what you are really saying is if you are getting 30-45, sync it so that it's 30 with no tearing.

The problem is you are trading a lower frame rate for better IQ. Fair enough, but this isn't novel.

Lince said:
just for those who find annoying fluctuating fps between 25-45

You'd have to be running integrated graphics for that.

DeadGzuz said:
Because you can't? If the real frame rate is 25, you cannot lock it at 30. With vsync on (which is what this whole convoluted post is about really) you can only have integer divisions of 60Hz. So 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, etc.

So what you are really saying is if you are getting 30-45, sync it so that it's 30 with no tearing.

The problem is you are trading a lower frame rate for better IQ. Fair enough, but this isn't novel.

Triple buffering is the best of both worlds, and can be forced in 90%+ games by using D3DOerrider (packed with RivaTuner).

Foster

Quick question that kinda applies to the topic but don't want to start a new thread about it.

my specs are:

ATI HD4870
Q6600 2.4ghz
4gb ram
Vista 64

I just got Neverwinter nights 2 and I struggle to get it above 30fps even on medium settings and I play crysis on high and get 40fps and far cry 2 on very high at 50 - 60fps, what the hell? this game is rather old now and it dips below 25? Is there a fix for it (yes I will try cap it but I mean a patch fix)? it's stupid that a game 2 years old plays worse than a game that came out last week :lol

Scotch

Yep, I tried this in Far Cry 2 and I found the steady 30fps to be easier on the eyes than the 30-45 I had before.

It helps that Far Cry 2 is quite a slow game, though. In games like TF2 30fps is just not an option.

Deathcraze said:
I don't know of any console commands that let you change the max framerate on the fly but you can set Mass Effect to max out at 30fps by editing a .ini file.

Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect\Config\BIOEngine.ini

Find MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62 under the [Engine.GameEngine] section and change the value to 30 and make sure bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE and that should limit the game to 30fps.

holy shit! ...thanks mate! :D

DeadGzuz said:
Because you can't? If the real frame rate is 25, you cannot lock it at 30. With sync on (which is what this whole convoluted post is about really) you can only have integer divisions of 60Hz. So 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, etc.

Um ...I wasn't really talking about enabling Vsync ...I was simply talking about limiting your framerate ...Vsync still being off and there is still tearing. At least in my circumstances

ch0mp

Bogus said:
To you guys saying you like seeing 80+ FPS in games: what LCD monitors are you using that are capable of refresh rates over 75hz, anyway? Most good ones I've been able to find are capped there, and mine only goes to 60.

Personally I still have a CRT. Lower frame rates are easier to bear but I really don't like playing FPS' games on them. Anything else is fine.

Lince

Banned
starskyj said:
If anybody knows how to cap Lost Planet at 30fps, please post it. Thanks.

well it takes some times but after some research I found a tool to cap every DX9 / OpenGL game at the desired framerate (no DX10 yet sorry)

first you have to download this tool (I'm not sure if this is legal or what, seems freeware to me so mods do what you want)

http://rapidshare.com/files/160642187/FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar

extract the content to a folder and run FPS_Limiter_GUI (you must have Java enabled)

it looks like this

fpsgui.jpg

you just need to point to the path where the game executable is located and select the desired framerate, note it defaults to DX9 applications. Click on "create bat" and there you go, you should have now in the folder a direct access to the game limited to the desired framerate.

result: http://rapidshare.com/files/160661014/LP30FPS.mp4

that was a small video of Lost Planet with maximum settings and 8xAA/16xAF capped at 30fps running on my modest PC, it runs silky smooth at a never faltering 30 fps. The best part is both the CPU and the GPU workload is reduced and so is the power consumption, triple win.

and now Fallout 3: http://rapidshare.com/files/160661015/FO330FPS.mp4

with Fallout 3 you just repeat the process and then change the variable iFPSClamp=0 in Fallout.ini to iFPSClamp=30

this is how I got the game to run in ultra settings with 4xAA/8xAF at rock solid 30fps and said goodbye to the hiccups. Hope this helps.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
For Fallout 3, I'm pretty sure what I did to solve the micro-studder problem I had is what caps the framerate:

Go into C -> Users -> (Your User name) -> Documents -> My Games -> Fallout 3 -> FALLOUT.ini

Edit the part that says "iFPSClamp" and set it equal to whatever you want your FPS to be. For me, at any value besides 60, it screws up the pacing of the game.

vareon

Lince said:
well it takes some times but after some research I found a tool to cap every DX9 / OpenGL game at the desired framerate (no DX10 yet sorry)

first you have to download this tool (I'm not sure if this is legal or what, seems freeware to me so mods do what you want)

http://rapidshare.com/files/160642187/FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar

extract the content to a folder and run FPS_Limiter_GUI (you must have Java enabled)

it looks like this

fpsgui.jpg

you just need to point to the path where the game executable is located and select the desired framerate, note it defaults to DX9 applications. Click on "create bat" and there you go, you should have now in the folder a direct access to the game limited to the desired framerate.

result: http://rapidshare.com/files/160661014/LP30FPS.mp4

that was a small video of Lost Planet with maximum settings and 8xAA/16xAF capped at 30fps running on my modest PC, it runs silky smooth at a never faltering 30 fps. The best part is both the CPU and the GPU workload is reduced and so is the power consumption, triple win.

and now Fallout 3: http://rapidshare.com/files/160661015/FO330FPS.mp4

with Fallout 3 you just repeat the process and then change the variable iFPSClamp=0 in Fallout.ini to iFPSClamp=30

this is how I got the game to run in ultra settings with 4xAA/8xAF at rock solid 30fps and said goodbye to the hiccups. Hope this helps.

Are there any other links than Rapidshare? I'm using a shared connection so Rapid (or Megaupload) is a *big* hassle to me. Thanks.

Xabora

for the WoW peeps just type this in the chatbox.
/console maxFPS 30
for no limit
/console maxFPS 0

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So, explain this please.

If if I'm getting max FPS in the 60's and say hitting rock bottom once in a while at 25, does capping the framerate at 30 actually help improve performance and gets rid of the dip to 25?

Also, how does v-sync know to lock the framerate to 60 or 30?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
chespace said:
If if I'm getting max FPS in the 60's and say hitting rock bottom once in a while at 25, does capping the framerate at 30 actually help improve performance and gets rid of the dip to 25?

No, but it makes the dips far less noticeable. Dropping 5 frames is a far cry from dropping 35+.

Chespace said:

V-Sync syncronizes the games refresh rate with your monitor. So in other words if your monitors refresh rate is is 60hz (standard for an LCD) then your framerate with V-Sync enabled will be forced to some multiple of that (60, 30, 15). So say your playing your game at 60 FPS and get a minor dip, even to say 58 fps, V-Sync will dive your framerate down to 30 to keep the image clean. Shutting off V-Sync will give you a "true" framerate in that it will only dip to 58, but that is when you get tearing.

stuminus3

Banned
I've been doing this for years. It's amazing that in this day in age there are still PC enthusiasts that insist that triple digit framerates are a must for their games, even at the expense of Vsync and consistency. I mean, Quake III was years ago.

chespace said:
So, explain this please.

Like Sinatar said ....far more tolerable to see a game dip 5fps as opposed to 30fps

As stated before, this has a tremendous effect for Far Cry 2 and Crysis/Warhead which averages between 30-45 anyways, rarely holding +60

careful

Euh.. I tried the Fallout trick and my Fallout started playing like Quake 3 on speed. It was awesome. :lol
I changed the value back to 0 (and then to 60) and it went back to normal (capping at 60 fps).
I tried with both vsync on and off (and triple buffering on/off from the nvidia control panel) but no change.. weird

Then I tried the Crysis command.. Unrecognized in the console and not working in system.cfg :(

careful said:
Euh.. I tried the Fallout trick and my Fallout started playing like Quake 3 on speed. It was awesome. :lol
I changed the value back to 0 (and then to 60) and it went back to normal (capping at 60 fps).
I tried with both vsync on and off (and triple buffering on/off from the nvidia control panel) but no change.. weird

Then I tried the Crysis command.. Unrecognized in the console and not working in system.cfg :(

The Nvidia driver setting for triple buffering only affects OpenGL games. You ned to use D3D Overrider which comes as part of RivaTuner. One of the most essential downloads for a PC gamer imo, far too many games forgoe the option for triple buffering.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
careful said:
Euh.. I tried the Fallout trick and my Fallout started playing like Quake 3 on speed. It was awesome. :lol I changed the value back to 0 (and then to 60) and it went back to normal (capping at 60 fps).

Yes, what was that? Are you guys sure the value is 30?

careful said:

the Crysis console command is actually in the OP ...don't need to use this tool

neight

Banned
Oh yikes Java. Not exactly lean on performance. Not only does it use more memory than other apps but whenever I have a Java app running for too long it bogs down my PC and makes games stutter.

I'll ask my friend if I can try this next time I play Fallout on his PC. He's got everything jacked way up and it looks real nice but damn it stutters and dips a lot.

Grayman

chespace said:
So, explain this please.

I think you will still hit 25 the same as when running uncapped.

Lince

Banned
neight said:
Oh yikes Java. Not exactly lean on performance. Not only does it use more memory than other apps but whenever I have a Java app running for too long it bogs down my PC and makes games stutter.

Java is only needed for the interface to create the bat file.... this is, 5 seconds, you can do the bat files yourself with fpslimiter.exe that I've found doesn't use any memory/CPU at all in the taskbar while it's running limiting the framerate of a certain game...

for Fallout 3 the bat file looks like this:

start C:\"FPSLIMITER\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r: D3D9 /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF "C:\Games\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe

there is no space between the r: and D3D9, I put one so it won't show the :D icon

create a txt file in the folder where fpslimiter is located, then insert the line (change it to your fpslimiter/game paths) and save as a .bat file, launch it and there you go, no need of Java.

edit: don't forget to change iFPSClamp=0 in Fallout.ini to iFPSClamp=30 if you're limiting to 30 fps.

Lince

Banned
chespace said:
So, explain this please.

the tool will cap the game @ 30fps or whatever value you enter with lower CPU and GPU usage, v-sync enabled with fpslimiter works nice, at least with my Nvidia card.

Lince said:
the tool will cap the game @ 30fps or whatever value you enter with lower CPU and GPU usage, v-sync enabled with fpslimiter works nice, at least with my Nvidia card.

Pretty nuts too as Vsync is enabled on Fallout3 but the mouselag is entirely gone when it's capped at 30fps

No seriously Lince....THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! :D

Lince

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Pretty nuts too as Vsync is enabled on Fallout3 but the mouselag is entirely gone when it's capped at 30fps

No seriously Lince....THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! :D

you're welcome, it's really a pretty neat tool and seems to work flawlessly with every DX9 game I've tried so far... ATI/Nvidia should implement something like this in their control panel, I mean, with my modest PC I can run Lost Planet with maximum settings and AA/AF 1360x768 (HDTV) but the framerate would fluctuate from 35 to 140 fps and the Q6600/9800GTX+ posting a high load... guess what, I'd rather use the fpslimiter and make it a much smoother experience similar to consoles in framerate but with best graphics while saving money and keeping my hardware cooler.

two quick dirty pics, note the CPU usage is down to 1/3, the tool is working as intended and you get more CPU cycles to turn up the detail settings or run applications in background.

without fpslimiter... 56% CPU

www.telefonica.net/web2/dgu/lostplanet.jpg

with fpslimiter... 15% CPU

www.telefonica.net/web2/dgu/lostplanet30fps.jpg

Lince said:
you're welcome, it's really a pretty neat tool and seems to work flawlessly with every DX9 game I've tried so far... ATI/Nvidia should implement something like this in their control panel, I mean, with my modest PC I can run Lost Planet with maximum settings and AA/AF 1360x768 (HDTV) but the framerate would fluctuate from 35 to 140 fps and the Q6600/9800GTX+ posting a high load... guess what, I'd rather use the fpslimiter and make it a much smoother experience similar to consoles in framerate but with best graphics while saving money and keeping my hardware cooler.

two quick dirty pics, note the CPU usage is down to 1/3, the tool is working as intended and you get more CPU cycles to turn up the detail settings or run applications in background.

without fpslimiter... 56% CPU

www.telefonica.net/web2/dgu/lostplanet.jpg

with fpslimiter... 15% CPU

www.telefonica.net/web2/dgu/lostplanet30fps.jpg

what the hell? ....that's awesome! ...I gotta try that on some shit!

Lince

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
what the hell? ....that's awesome! ...I gotta try that on some shit!

it's just the CPU free to calculate AI / physics / filters / sound system... and not stressed feeding your GPU with lots of frames that your eye won't notice, we're talking 720p resolutions here of course...

TheExodu5

Banned
brain_stew said:
The Nvidia driver setting for triple buffering only affects OpenGL games. You ned to use D3D Overrider which comes as part of RivaTuner. One of the most essential downloads for a PC gamer imo, far too many games forgoe the option for triple buffering.

OMG the piece of the puzzle that I was missing! I could never figure out, for the life of me, why some of my games were forcing Triple Buffering when I set it to off in the control panel. Triple Buffering really annoys me in first person shooters, since it adds way too much input lag.

Lince

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Looks like the gui is a hit on The Fallout 3 PC issues board

wonder why developers don't bother to include a simple fps cap option somewhere within the thousand graphical settings... a lot of people hate stuttering and crazy fluctuating framerate, I'm glad my little research definitely helped! :D

and don't forget it's a "green" tool, save the planet!

Ok weird, I limited Fallout 3 to 30 by changing the variable in the ini file(changing iFPSClamp=0 to 30) and now the game acts like its running in hyper mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bloodforge said:
Ok weird, I limited Fallout 3 to 30 by changing the variable in the ini file(changing iFPSClamp=0 to 30) and now the game acts like its running in hyper mode.
That setting has an impact on the speed of the game, not just framerate. If you set it to 30 fps you will literally double the speed of everything. It simply won't work like that.

FO3 is a unique case as that iFPSClamp setting WILL solve the stuttering issue *IF* your PC is up to the task. Fortunately, my GTX260 has no trouble running FO3 at the highest level of detail at 60 fps. I'm using 1360x768 + 4x AA + 16x AF with max details (well, mostly max) and I haven't hit a single framerate drop throughout the ten or so hours I've played. It runs beautifully.

I tried this setting on a slower PC (8800GT), however, and it could not hold 60 fps the entire time and would end up running in slow motion when the framerate dropped below 60.

So, either set the fps clamp to 60 or 0. If you can hold 60 fps use it the 60 setting, but if your PC is incapable of doing so you will likely have to either live with the stuttering or figure out how to use that tool posted above.

Lince

Banned
bloodforge said:

you should limit the framerate to 30 as well, check you've set the limiter tool properly.

CoG

Lince said:
edit: loving Dead Space cap too, and the fact you can make it sit @ 60 fps through the Nvidia control panel :lol

I figured that out last night. Couldn't believe my 9800 GT could pull of Dead Space at max details in 1080p (on my TV) at a solid 60fps. Truly a wonderful experience, so glad I upgraded my card.

Lince

Banned
CoG said:
I figured that out last night. Couldn't believe my 9800 GT could pull of Dead Space at max details in 1080p (on my TV) at a solid 60fps. Truly a wonderful experience, so glad I upgraded my card.

do you have a Dual Core or Quad Core? I noticed Dead Space PC is heavily multi-threaded and it shows.

Mithos

Cheeto said:
Eh, I never got those drops on my 8800GTS 320, or my 4850.

Pure gaming PC?

As in minimal OS install, driver installs, and optimized settings

OR

Same PC you use msn, irc, webbrowsing, Office, Photoshop, day to day use?

CoG

Lince said:
do you have a Dual Core or Quad Core? I noticed Dead Space PC is heavily multi-threaded and it shows.

Dual core (E6400 @ 3.2Ghz). Was getting mid-70s with vsync off with some horrible tearing. First capped it in game but cut the FPS to 30 which lags input so did it through the Nvidia panel now it's solid 60fps all the time.

Top Bottom