• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Eidos hiring for Deus Ex 4 for next gen platforms, seeming has online stuff

Glass Rebel

God the bosses were so awful for a stealth build like I used. After the second I said fuck it and actually upgraded some weapons and combat abilities so the rest wasn't that awful but still, they should have handled it better. Still a great game.

They were out of place, to the point where the developers have actually apologized for how bad they were. Also, Ubisoft?

Eidos/Ubisoft will be the new Capcom/Konami, mark my words.

I'll pass. HR was like a Deus Ex experience passed through the mainstream console gamer filter one too many times. I expect a sequel will be geared even more toward reaching a wider audience.

Arcteryx

If done well it could potentially be pretty fuckin awesome. Tons of customization options for augs, player looks etc; would def buy.

Sucks that its "nextgen" atm though :(

Izick

Make it after the events of Deus Ex 1. Pretend IW never happened.

That seems like it would make sense [spoilers]considering them alluding to DE 1 at the end of Human Revolution[/spoilers] and would just be smart to do.

So I'd guess that, then maybe an HD version of the PC version for the PS4/Nextbox.

FStop7

Banned
More Deus Ex??

i6SiXlc2hPYbb.gif

x3sphere

Not getting the next-gen hate. My PC is ready ;)

Although it wasn't as good as the original HR was still one of my favorite games of 2011. Very excited about this.

Thi4f is still coming, they have 2 separate teams working on the franchises and afaik a third team working on something new entirely. Eidos Montreal is huge and growing.

Indeed. We know, for certain, that they had three teams at the time of DE: HR's release.

However, this job listing makes it sound like they're building up a new team ("new hires in an additional studio that is being grown"), not an existing one. Maybe, I'm reading into it too much.

Good news. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was surprisingly good.

As for the bosses - everyone knows they are shit. Just set the difficulty level to easy when you meet and get those parts over with quickly.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This is good news. A next-generation launch (or near-launch) release makes a lot of sense commercially and creatively.

I'll pass. HR was like a Deus Ex experience passed through the mainstream console gamer filter one too many times. I expect a sequel will be geared even more toward reaching a wider audience.
Weird. HR was a significantly more complex game than the original Deus Ex, between the conversation battles, hacking, expanded augmentation system, far better AI, and superior stealth mechanics. The levels were slightly less open, but not by a lot.

Mxrz

Huh. So we're not going to be waiting another decade for the next game? Feels wrong. Somehow. But I'll take it.

and Eidos Montreal hiring for a Deus Ex 4 "for the new platforms coming in the next two years"

So fall 13 next gen semi confirmed again. Latest would be spring 14, and I'm quite sure nobody is going to launch in springtime.

Glass Rebel

Indeed. We know, for certain, that they had three teams at the time of DE: HR's release.

However, this job listing makes it sound like they're building up a new team ("new hires in an additional studio that is being grown"), not an existing one. Maybe, I'm reading into it too much.

It would be awesome if we could get a new game every year from the studio but I'm not getting my hopes up. When is Thi4f supposed to be released? 2013?

Derrick01

Banned
Weird. HR was a significantly more complex game than the original Deus Ex, between the conversation battles, hacking, expanded augmentation system, far better AI, and superior stealth mechanics. The levels were slightly less open, but not by a lot.

The exploration was somewhat poor, though I don't blame consoles for that. I just don't think their level designers were as amazing as the original's. The exploration in HR was pretty much "is there a vent in this room? No? Ok then find a locked door or console and hack your way through the room". It took me years to find most of the hidden paths in DX1 and in the end I still had to be told about several secrets. There was nothing like that in HR.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The exploration was somewhat poor, though I don't blame consoles for that. I just don't think their level designers were as amazing as the original's. The exploration in HR was pretty much "is there a vent in this room? No? Ok then find a locked door or console and hack your way through the room". It took me years to find most of the hidden paths in DX1 and in the end I still had to be told about several secrets. There was nothing like that in HR.
Agreed, but as you say, that`s a function of level design talent, not consolitis.

They should take their time with it

Yea as much as I would love another Deus Ex game this gen, it's getting to the point where if you're starting game development now it should be for next gen.

Maybe in the mean time they could release a Deus Ex HD update/remake? Pleaseeeee!

I don't think it's a matter of the game being more or less complex, but the choices they made were clearly angled toward a more simplified and cinematic experience so as to be more palatable to a wider audience.

An interesting hacking minigame that ultimately became a chore thanks to the simplified ability system that used the same hacking mechanic for everything. A single aug upgrade system that offered no meaningful choices thanks to an overabundance of praxis. All the modern stealth-related trappings including looking around corners and over cover without any risk, seeing enemies on radar, turning invisible, etc... Tap a button to do flashy melee kills without any risk or investment. No investment in weapon or or item proficiencies.

My main gripe is with the single aug system though. Made multiple playthroughs kind of pointless as you could get every aug you wanted in one which let you see and do everything in any way you wanted. Forcing you to specialize more would've made a huge difference.

I don't think it's a matter of the game being more or less complex, but the choices they made were clearly angled toward a more simplified and cinematic experience so as to be more palatable to a wider audience.

An interesting hacking minigame that ultimately became a chore thanks to the simplified ability system that used the same hacking mechanic for everything. A single aug upgrade system that offered no meaningful choices thanks to an overabundance of praxis. All the modern stealth-related trappings including looking around corners and over cover without any risk, seeing enemies on radar, turning invisible, etc... Tap a button to do flashy melee kills without any risk or investment. No investment in weapon or or item proficiencies.

My main gripe is with the single aug system though. Made multiple playthroughs kind of pointless as you could get every aug you wanted in one which let you see and do everything in any way you wanted. Forcing you to specialize more would've made a huge difference.
Hacking in first was just a waiting screen, nothing to it. I'll take HR's buffet augs system over the original's more vague augs like swimming, toxic, and other redundant skills where you weren't sure if the cost was worth it. Stealth was broken in first game with the laughably bad AI. Also, melee in original was so bad that you had to be just pixels behind the enemy for them to go down in one hit. I prefer that doing melee is a strategic choice with using up the battery than just knocking dudes comically with a baton in the back, it IS a risk.

Human Revolution isn't that mainstream of a game (that was Invisible Wars), it's just more accessible.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Studios are going to close next-gen.

Not sure why, considering the standard a lot are putting out currently I doubt it will be as much of a hassel like going from last-gen to this generation was, developers didn't seem to be able moving to a HD format for games, most notably some Japanese studios.

Companies like EA with Frostbite 2 are perfectly ready for a next-generation because their engine scales already, there will also be far less risk games than what we got at the start of this generation because of all the closures we have seen so far.

Lime

I hope they hire good writers, character artists and animators this time around. The themes were treated shallowly, the character meshes had weird proportions (small head, big body), and the animations was straight from 1998. It's somewhat disheartening for such a big budget title to not uphold at the very least basic quality standards.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they hire good writers, character artists and animators this time around. The themes were treated shallowly, the character meshes had weird proportions (small head, big body), and the animations was straight from 1998. It's somewhat disheartening for such a big budget title to not uphold at the very least basic quality standards.

To be fair Deus Ex: HR was developed in a short amount of time with actual development, and it was a whole new studio being built up in the process as the team was expanding. That is no easy feat to do and they pulled off something incredible thanks to the teams talent and passion for the IP.

Hacking in first was just a waiting screen, nothing to it. I'll take HR's buffet augs system over the original's more vague augs like swimming, toxic, and other redundant skills where you weren't sure if the cost was worth it. Stealth was broken in first game with the laughably bad AI. Also, melee in original was so bad that you had to be just pixels behind the enemy for them to go down in one hit. I prefer that doing melee is a strategic choice with using up the battery than just knocking dudes comically with a baton in the back, it IS a risk.

Human Revolution isn't that mainstream of a game (that was Invisible Wars), it's just more accessible.

Hacking in DX1 was still real time and added some tension. Melee in DX1, yeah, it has its problems. Once you successfully sneak up on an enemy, fumbling to take him down isn't the best approach. I don't mind a takedown animation but I'd like a sequel to find a nice middle ground. A standard melee attack that doesn't require energy or something.

What I wanted to see in DXHR is grabbing conscious enemies, like in other stealth games, for interrogation and whatnot. Stealth could also be expanded with light/dark meters, unconscious enemies waking up on their own, etc.

Top Bottom