• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

beje

Banned
enishi said:
Just got it at a premium price... High exchange rate ftl....

I saw no one mentioned here (maybe I overlooked). This game requires firmware update. It brings firmware version 2.2.0-4J which adds some new functions to friend list. For example, a new button "join the playing game" is added to the friend list.

Care to post a photo?

Mik2121

Man, the last Bowser Castle (W8-8) is quite challenging. Not impossible, not even close, but definitely challenging. Fucking hate Bowser himself, too. There's almost no space to move around :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
enishi said:
This game requires firmware update. It brings firmware version 2.2.0-4J which adds some new functions to friend list. For example, a new button "join the playing game" is added to the friend list.
Cool. In preparation for Mario Kart I suppose.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
enishi said:
Just got it at a premium price... High exchange rate ftl....

I saw no one mentioned here (maybe I overlooked). This game requires firmware update. It brings firmware version 2.2.0-4J which adds some new functions to friend list. For example, a new button "join the playing game" is added to the friend list.
iCzkruAECvx9p.gif

I tried to find a Mario related dramatic GIF but came up empty.

beje

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
I played this on a focus group a couple of months ago. Somehow didn't really liked it. Felt a bit slow, maybe?

I'm gonna buy it regardless. There's not a lot going on the 3DS, so I might as well give it a shot.

Didn't know you had a 3DS, still haven't StreetPass'd you :p

beje

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
I got it at launch! The first weeks I was carrying it around with StreetPass on but stopped after that. It's been languishing on my bedside for a long time.

I played some Baloon Fighter the other day, though.

You should walk it more often. I always get SP hits just walking from Plaza España to Sol going through Callao, and going to GAME and FNAC are almost guaranteed hits :p

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
enishi said:
a new button "join the playing game" is added to the friend list.
Was it even announced in previous conferences? I knew the Mario Kart app would include this feature, but having it for all games from the friend list is great news to me.

enishi

Sorry that it will take me some times to upload a photo... I will post it when I finish my dinner

-----------------------------------------

Edit: Ok, here you are. If you want the Option page that shows the firmware version, please let me know.

And, I haven't tried this function yet (no friend is online...). So, whether it does what we expect is still unknown.

F86Zt.jpg

beje

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
I happen to live in Plaza España (plaza de los cubos, to be precise) so I'll try and walk it around some more these days.

Even with the rain.

I was going to talk about the rain, then noticed right now it's almost sunny WTF

beje

Banned
walking fiend said:
Only Nintendo is capable of disregarding something this important in all of their PRs and updates. Does it work with anygame?

I guess any previous game won't work (unless they included some patches in the firmware for the handful of them - SSFIV, DoA:D, RE:M and Tetris), but it should for any future release.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
enishi said:
Sorry that it will take me some times to upload a photo... I will post it when I finish my dinner

-----------------------------------------

Edit: Ok, here you are. If you want the Option page that shows the firmware version, please let me know.

F86Zt.jpg
So while you browse your friend list, you can see what they are playing, and if it's an online game, send an invite from there? We need tests :)

enishi

marc^o^ said:
So while you browse your friend list, you can see what they are playing, and if it's an online game, send an invite from there? We need tests :)

I wish I could test it... But no one is online at the moment, and most of them are probably not in the latest firmware yet...

And, I can't see any other changes, esp no video recording option found.

I have Super Street Fighter 4 3D, RE: Mercenaries and Tetris Axis (which supports meta data just like Mario Kart 7, so it should work with this game) but I have to go out to work and won't be available until the end of the day (plus of course, I don't have the new firmware)

I'll be back around 10 hours from now, so if nobody else has those games to test, I'd be happy to do so. Just jot me a PM if you need me!

Also, do you have the option for video recording in 3DS Camera yet?

What I find a bit strange, is that it sounds like a reverse invite, that is, it sounds like you invite, push, yourself into their games 0_0

Mik2121

Finished all the worlds and started the
second quest. I'm on the third stage of the first world and noticed now the best times show up!

walking fiend said:
What I find a bit strange, is that it sounds like a reverse invite, that is, it sounds like you invite, push, yourself into their games 0_0

You probably select the option and a popup appears on the recipient's screen saying that X person wants to join your game, do you accept? Yes/No.

Is "join the playing game" the way you would phrase joining another player's game in Japanese, or is it somewhat vague as to the function? Is that the best english translation? Could we infer any sort of "invitation," etc.?

EDIT: Nuclear Muffin I'm pretty sure that when Nintendo has discussed invites in the past, they made it clear that it wouldn't work for games made prior to the system update. They just wouldn't have the code in place to handle it. There's probably no way you'll be able to test it with SSF4, for example.

UncleSporky said:
Is "join the playing game" the way you would phrase joining another player's game in Japanese, or is it somewhat vague as to the function? Is that the best english translation? Could we infer any sort of "invitation," etc.?

EDIT: Nuclear Muffin I'm pretty sure that when Nintendo has discussed invites in the past, they made it clear that it wouldn't work for games made prior to the system update. They just wouldn't have the code in place to handle it. There's probably no way you'll be able to test it with SSF4, for example.

Tetris Axis has support for meta data though just like Mario Kart 7 (lists high scores and whether or not the player is currently playing multiplayer online on the friends list itself, so it may already have the hooks for the friend invite/joining in place)

beje

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Tetris Axis has support for meta data though just like Mario Kart 7 (lists high scores and whether or not the player is currently playing multiplayer online on the friends list itself, so it may already have the hooks for the friend invite/joining in place)

Yep, you're right. It even gives you a suggestive "Join the fun" message or something like that when you're online.

Mik2121

Trying to finish levels as fast as possible is quite fun :D

Too bad the game doesn't have leaderboards. This game with leaderboards would have been way too addictive I guess.

-KRS-

Holy shit this game is officially fucking out now. But why must we Europeans have to suffer so? And not to mention our Australian cousins. They could release the game right now and be done with it. But no, they're just gonna sit on it until the end of the month and release it on the same fucking day as Zelda! Great. It's gonna be an expensive day.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nuclear Muffin said:

Heh, I'm guessing you've never used a system that does this before. The proper name for that is "presence data" (although obviously it is a particular type of player metadata). ;)

Sinthetic

synt4x said:
Holy shit this game is officially fucking out now. But why must we Europeans have to suffer so? And not to mention our Australian cousins. They could release the game right now and be done with it. But no, they're just gonna sit on it until the end of the month and release it on the same fucking day as Zelda! Great. It's gonna be an expensive day.

Absolutely dull isn't it. They could have easily given it to us on the 11th. We've all had 8 days to rip Uncharted 3 apart by then, a further full week to finish 3D Land, then Zelda from the 18th - 2nd December, then MK7 till New Year and beyond.

Poor Aussies.

Nisa65

Played through the first two worlds so far and I'm really enjoying it. It may not be as expansive as Galaxy but it's still loads of fun. The graphics are really nice and the music, including remixes of classic Mario tunes is great. Looking forward to playing it some more when I get the chance.

Mik2121

Alert: Spoilers related to what happens after you finish the game.

So.. I finished the game for the first time and got access to the second quest. I just finished the first world of the second quest and unlocked Luigi!. He's a bit slower than Mario but can make some crazy jumps!.

Also, on World 2 I just played a brand-new level that I didn't see in the original World 2, and the rest of the levels have extra paths, different enemies and items, and as the other guy said, different locations for the medals, so this is basically like playing a whole new set of maps.

Foffy

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Alert: Spoilers related to what happens after you finish the game.

So.. I finished the game for the first time and got access to the second quest. I just finished the first world of the second quest and unlocked Luigi!. He's a bit slower than Mario but can make some crazy jumps!.

Also, on World 2 I just played a brand-new level that I didn't see in the original World 2, and the rest of the levels have extra paths, different enemies and items, and as the other guy said, different locations for the medals, so this is basically like playing a whole new set of maps.

Can you elaborate a bit more for me? Is it like Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Extra Mode, which is just essentially a hard mode with new boss attacks (and new bosses in The True Arena)
or is it like Super Mario Galaxy 2's
second quest about the Green Stars where it doesn't feel so much of a redoing of the whole experience, but a direct extension once the core game is done?

UncleSporky said:
It's obviously more than Galaxy 2's green stars, just from the basic description.
No, it's more like the comet challenges in Galaxy mixed with OoT's Masterquest.
They add new challenges to make the level harder like a short time limit. They also remix a lot of the levels. They also added the occasional new level.

Mik2121

Foffy said:
Can you elaborate a bit more for me? Is it like Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Extra Mode, which is just essentially a hard mode with new boss attacks (and new bosses in The True Arena)
or is it like Super Mario Galaxy 2's
second quest about the Green Stars where it doesn't feel so much of a redoing of the whole experience, but a direct extension once the core game is done?
Uhm...

It depends, really. I have not played Galaxy 2 (sold my Wii before it got released and I have yet to buy it again) so I can't tell you, but I guess it's something in-between.

Basically you have the first row of levels displayed like this:

WORLD 1

O--------O----O---O-----------------O--------O------O

Right? Each circle being a level. When you finish the game, a pipe shows up at the beginning

||-O-----O----O---O-----------------O--------O------O

And then if you enter the pipe, you get access to the special levels which is a world map like the original but with different background and different stuff around. Some of the levels are the same visually, even though they have different paths, etc.. And some are completely new. Some also have things like time limits (Bowser Castle in the first world starts with a 30 second limit and then you keep getting extra time by picking up clocks around the level). The story also changes a bit, because this time you have to first, rescue Luigi. After that.. dunno, because I stopped playing right after rescuing him.
Also, the last boss (Bowser) of the first world was Skeleton Bowser and not normal Bowser, so that might mean there are more changes further down the line.

Sinthetic

Personally, I like to take my time on a game. Mik just got the game and is on a mission to finish it in a single sitting. I don't get it, I want to play a few levels and reflect on it and then get back into it. I think finishing a game I've been waiting for (for a long time) in a single sitting is strange.

Mik2121

Sinthetic said:
Personally, I like to take my time on a game. Mik just got the game and is on a mission to finish it in a single sitting. I don't get it, I want to play a few levels and reflect on it and then get back into it. I think finishing a game I've been waiting for (for a long time) in a single sitting is strange.
You want to... reflect on a Mario level? Really?

I'm not on a mission to finish the game as fast as possible, but I don't start my new job until December or January, so I have quite a lot of time until then. Why would I let the game just sit there when I could be playing? Just because you let a game like this sit down there, it's not gonna get any better.

I'd be surprised if most of GAF didn't do this too. You got a game you've been waiting for so long, and instead of playing it as much as you can, you "reflect on it and then get back into it"? Really? This is a platformer, not an RPG :p

Also I'm getting all the medals and pretty much trying to 100% the game, so it's not like I'm even rushing it.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm getting through the game itself so fast because really, there's nothing else to do in the game but keep playing levels. If this were, say, Skyrim, I would still probably be near the beginning because I love exploring (plus, I can use it as references and inspiration for my own 3D stuff). But there's not really much you can explore in a Mario game.

Got the game, cleared the first two worlds. This is exactly what the 3DS needed at launch. It's got that familiar feel and makes you jump through a bunch of hoops.

If anyone wants to test joining a game, I've got SSFIV to try it out with.

Sinthetic

Mik2121 said:
You want to... reflect on a Mario level? Really?

I'm not on a mission to finish the game as fast as possible, but I don't start my new job until December or January, so I have quite a lot of time until then. Why would I let the game just sit there when I could be playing? Just because you let a game like this sit down there, it's not gonna get any better.

I'd be surprised if most of GAF didn't do this too. You got a game you've been waiting for so long, and instead of playing it as much as you can, you "reflect on it and then get back into it"? Really? This is a platformer, not an RPG :p

Also I'm getting all the medals and pretty much trying to 100% the game, so it's not like I'm even rushing it.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm getting through the game itself so fast because really, there's nothing else to do in the game but keep playing levels. If this were, say, Skyrim, I would still probably be near the beginning because I love exploring (plus, I can use it as references and inspiration for my own 3D stuff). But there's not really much you can explore in a Mario game.

Calm down friend, I'm just thinking on paper. I'm sure loads of people will play it in one go. I just like to relax and take my time. I'm just not sure if I could ever do it.

I don't reflect on a singular level, I like to sit down and discuss certain aspects to really take the game in.

Play on and be safe.

Mik2121

Sinthetic said:
Calm down friend, I'm just thinking on paper. I'm sure loads of people will play it in one go. I just like to relax and take my time. I'm just not sure if I could ever do it.

I don't reflect on a singular level, I like to sit down and discuss certain aspects to really take the game in.

Play on and be safe.
I'm calmed down don't worry :p. I just found your comment odd, that's all. I like to relax and take my time with certain games like GTA, RDR, Oblivion, etc.. And also games that have extra modes or some sort of sandbox mode like LA Noire. But with games like Mario, there's not much else you can do besides playing the actual levels.

As for sitting down and discussing certain aspects.. Who do you discuss them with? I would do it with you guys here, but I've been pretty much alone except for two or three other guys that aren't posting much, and even if they were, we would be spoiling the game for you guys even more than we already did :p

On a side note, I just checked the tracking menu and the longest I've played Mario in one sitting has been 2 hours 16 minutes. I got the game about 10 hours ago and have played 8 which is quite a lot, but that's what happens when you spend your whole free day playing (wanna get back to 3D modeling tomorrow so I'm using the whole day today as a big break).

Sinthetic

Mik2121 said:
I'm calmed down don't worry :p. I just found your comment odd, that's all. I like to relax and take my time with certain games like GTA, RDR, Oblivion, etc.. And also games that have extra modes or some sort of sandbox mode like LA Noire. But with games like Mario, there's not much else you can do besides playing the actual levels.

As for sitting down and discussing certain aspects.. Who do you discuss them with? I would do it with you guys here, but I've been pretty much alone except for two or three other guys that aren't posting much, and even if they were, we would be spoiling the game for you guys even more than we already did :p

Hahahaha! I meant posting on here. I see your point, seeing as no one really has it apart from a few of you lucky guys!

Don't worry, you can join our chat on here when other regions get it. ;P

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cheesemeister said:
Got the game, cleared the first two worlds. This is exactly what the 3DS needed at launch. It's got that familiar feel and makes you jump through a bunch of hoops.

If anyone wants to test joining a game, I've got SSFIV to try it out with.

Mmmmmmh, yes :p

enishi

Played up to W2-1. I remembered the days I got suffered in Mario Galaxy 1/2. Yes, this one is much easier. But still it's got the feel of Mario platformer. I would imagine it is excellent to play short sessions on bus/rails.

Alrus

Advertising blitz has started in belgium, quite a lot of ads for this one. (Not nearly as much as UC3 though).

I'm really hyped, this will probably be the best handheld mario ever!

Sinthetic said:

I used to sort of be like that. I never reflected on what I just played but I tried to limit myself from going through a game too fast. Luckily I got past that. Now I play when I want to. I never finish a game in a sitting but I'm not going to stop playing if I feel like I'm getting too far. I did that with Wario Shake Dimension and never finished it all because I limited myself from playing quickly.

It's sort of like items in games. I used to horde them all until the end but once I started using them I had more fun.

Mik2121

Damn... the difference between the
First World
and the
Special World
is massive. Really, I think I spent about 15 lives just trying to collect all medals on the
S3-5 level

Really, even if you get all the way up to
World 8
without any issues, don't think you will be having the same luck all the way through the end :O

Celine

Mik2121 said:
Damn... the difference between the
First World
and the
Special World
is massive. Really, I think I spent about 15 lives just trying to collect all medals on the
S3-5 level

Really, even if you get all the way up to
World 8
without any issues, don't think you will be having the same luck all the way through the end :O
Good news to my ears.

Sinthetic said:

Play on and be safe.
I feel ya.

Top Bottom