• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Kai

Someone mentioned you can choose your 3D mode? I have never heard of this before... how does that work?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Kai said:
Someone mentioned you can choose your 3D mode? I have never heard of this before... how does that work?

It's up/down on the d-pad, I think - it's like camera control, but for the 3D effect. They go over it in the Iwata Asks article.

Mik2121

Yep, there are two 3D settings. One feels more like things are popping out of the screen, whereas the other feels like you're looking through a Window (kinda like Zelda OOT). I feel the 2nd option works better, and makes the screen feel larger, even if it obviously isn't.

Thoraxes

Kai said:
For more details, they went over it in the latest Iwata Asks for the game.

Basically there's a deep 3D and a light 3D camera mode. Depending on how your eyes take to the 3D, you can chose which is best for your eyeballs on the fly. They go more into it in the interview.

Mik2121 said:
Yep, there are two 3D settings. One feels more like things are popping out of the screen, whereas the other feels like you're looking through a Window (kinda like Zelda OOT). I feel the 2nd option works better, and makes the screen feel larger, even if it obviously isn't.
I've noticed that too, for games that have that "looking into a window" effect, the screen seems way bigger with 3D on. Whenever I turn it off I always have a "Wow, that's it?" moment.

john tv

Finished it earlier with every star medal. Wasn't too tough for the most part, only barely starts getting challenging in world 8 (IMO). Really awesome ideas and levels though. Looking forward to the (major spoilers)
second quest stuff

Mik2121

john tv said:
Finished it earlier with every star medal. Wasn't too tough for the most part, only barely starts getting challenging in world 8 (IMO). Really awesome ideas and levels though. Looking forward to the (major spoilers)
second quest stuff
Dang, already finished? When did you start playing? I started today at 1pm (it's 5:20pm now) and I'm at World 6 but I've been playing quite a lot.

Also, without straight telling me, could you give me a hint about where the hell is the last medal in the level 2-2? I swear I've been around that level forever and I keep missing it..

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
dr3upmushroom said:
I've noticed that too, for games that have that "looking into a window" effect, the screen seems way bigger with 3D on. Whenever I turn it off I always have a "Wow, that's it?" moment.
3D makes the 16:9 screen look like a 16:10 one, I love it too.

john tv

Mik2121 said:
Dang, already finished? When did you start playing? I started today at 1pm (it's 5:20pm now) and I'm at World 6 but I've been playing quite a lot.

Also, without straight telling me, could you give me a hint about where the hell is the last medal in the level 2-2? I swear I've been around that level forever and I keep missing it..
I don't remember that level offhand, but if it's the one I'm thinking of... do you know about the crouch + roll move? It breaks bricks...

EDIT: Oh, and I started last night around 9pm. Played maybe 3-4 hours yesterday, then 3-4 hours today.

Mik2121

john tv said:
I don't remember that level offhand, but if it's the one I'm thinking of... do you know about the crouch + roll move? It breaks bricks...
I know I know. I've gotten a couple medals that way. World 2-2 is the one on the underground where you keep pressing the green "!" buttons to create new paths. At one point the path goes outside the building and then inside again. Do you remember?

I will see if I'm missing any small block that I can break, but I don't think there's any there.

Edit: Oh WOW I didn't see that near the end of the level. Ok, nevermind, got all 3 medals! :p

Truth101

Banned
john tv said:
second quest stuff

Yes! I'm excited for you getting to this part!

Mik2121

Damn... can't even get out of this stage now, lol!. One of the ghost houses things (dunno their name in English). Made it out, yay! :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
john tv said:

EDIT: Oh, and I started last night around 9pm. Played maybe 3-4 hours yesterday, then 3-4 hours today.

6-8 hours to 100% the main game? The reviews said this had as much content as Galaxy, but I remember that taking me like 25-30 hours (to 100%.) :/

marc^o^ said:
3D makes the 16:9 screen look like a 16:10 one, I love it too.

Actually the 3DS has a 5:3 screen. When you turn 3D on however, it gives you a 16:9 image (since you get to see a little more of either side)

Mik2121

Andrex said:
6-8 hours to 100% the main game? The reviews said this had as much content as Galaxy, but I remember that taking me like 25-30 hours (to 100%.) :/
I'm half-way through World 6 getting 100% of each world on the way, and I've played for about 4 hours and I'd say I still got some 2-3 hours to go at least. At least, I say, because I have yet to play the final worlds which supposedly should be more difficult.

Also, there's the extra stuff after the game which might be a lot, or not, who knows...

Celine

Andrex said:
Nah, NP review said "less than Galaxy games" but still "a lot".

Mik2121

Won't say what exactly.. but Level 6-4 had a pretty cool gimmick that I kinda wanna try replicating in LBP2 :D

Really enjoying this game :)

zigg

john tv said:
Really awesome ideas and levels though.

This warms my heart more than anything. I'm still not expecting Galaxy levels of wow and likely shouldn't (in spite of a Twitter exchange with a journo who claimed otherwise), but at least it should be more creative than I feared after E3.

john tv

Wow. Hurry up and beat the game, peeps. You're only just getting started. o_O

Major spoilers, read at your own risk:

The rumored second quest has "Special" versions of all eight worlds, and they're way more challenging/interesting. The first level alone has a new suit (Tanooki w/SMB3 statue function) and a new item (poison mushroom from SMB2). I think this is where the "real" game begins. :D Plus three new star medals per stage, etc. Looks hot!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
john tv said:

The rumored second quest has "Special" versions of all eight worlds, and they're way more challenging/interesting. The first level alone has a new suit (Tanooki w/SMB3 statue function) and a new item (poison mushroom from SMB2). I think this is where the "real" game begins. :D Plus three new star medals per stage, etc. Looks hot!

Yeah, we heard about this earlier, but I'm glad to see it confirmed. Extremely deceptive really, as
beating all eight worlds once is only playing half the game!

john tv said:

Jesus fuck. :OOOOOO

zoukka

john tv said:

How do you
get this "second quest"
?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't think you need to spoil that (or anything really, it's a Mario game), they talk about it in the Iwata Asks article.

Mik2121

john tv said:

I'm on World 8 now, I only got the game this midday! Give me some time :p

Peff

john tv said:

Have you seen any actual brand new levels so far?

this game sounds awesome
3AQmK.gif

zigg

zoukka said:
How do you
get this "second quest"
?
Name your save file "Luigi"

walking fiend said:
I don't why they have spoiled it, it's only hype raiser! The game concept is very similar to SMG2.
Sounds like it. But I'm a nice guy :)

Although, you know, I think SMG2 was much more compelling up-front. This is coming from a guy who's only played the E3 demo though.

zoukka

walking fiend said:
I don't why they have spoiled it, it's only hype raiser! The game concept is very similar to SMG2.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. The spoiler alone makes the game 100% more valuable...

zigg

zoukka said:
Yeah I'm with you on this one. The spoiler alone makes the game 100% more valuable...
Just judging by what I'm hearing, more than 100%.

-Stranger- said:
November 24th can't come soon enough, this game and Skyward Sword both coming out that day.
I'm glad we get it a week prior to SS in the U.S. I couldn't handle both at once. Sounds like I may be picking at that Other Stuff for awhile in tandem with SS though.

Sinthetic

Loved reading the impressions. Definitely seems like a 10 hour + game. I'm a huge fan of collecting max amount of coins and doing levels really quickly, sounds like this game is going to have real legs for me.

enishi

Just got it at a premium price... High exchange rate ftl....

I saw no one mentioned here (maybe I overlooked). This game requires firmware update. It brings firmware version 2.2.0-4J which adds some new functions to friend list. For example, a new button "join the playing game" is added to the friend list.

enishi said:

I saw no one mentioned here (maybe I overlooked). This game requires firmware update. It brings firmware version 2.2.0-4J which adds some new functions to friend list. For example, a new button "join the playing game" is added to the friend list.
THE FUCKING HELL?!!!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
enishi said:

0_o

enishi said:

whoa whoa WHOA

enishi said:

PICS, NOW!!!! (check to see if you can record videos, if so, that's the fabled November update)

Top Bottom