• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars: Battlefront coming in 2017, has new movie locations

Hope it remains "casual friendly" instead of going the hardcore route, IMO.

It was fun back in the days of Rainbow Six and the sort, but Star Wars is supposed to be fun, not something where people are obsessed over K/D ratios, etc.

You can have depth and have it be pick up and play! Battlefield 4 has this reputation of having a lot of depth compared to Battlefront and being intimidating but that doens't stop me from jumping in to TDM every once in a while and letting my brain take a rest. Additionally, casual friendly doesn't give them the excuse to go apeshit with balance and launch with sparse content. Finally, people obsessing over K/D ratios is up to them and no one else.

Orcus

Get ready to be shitted on by dark troopers with bowcasters and jetpack spam.
That hasn't been an issue for several patches now. Most balance issues have been resolved. So far the developers have been pretty responsive to problems, sometimes tweaking cards and weapons multiple times as new issues are discovered or in case of over agressive nerf/buffs from past changes. I wouldn't say everything is perfect, but there are little to no significant balance issues, and there certainly are no game breaking ones. It's not as balanced as BF4 is, but it's significantly further along than BF4 was at half a year after release.

That hasn't been an issue for several patches now. Most balance issues have been resolved. So far the developers have been pretty responsive to problems, sometimes tweaking cards and weapons multiple times as new issues are discovered or in case of over agressive nerf/buffs from past changes. I wouldn't say everything is perfect, but there are little to no significant balance issues, and there certainly are no game breaking ones. It's not as balanced as BF4 is, but it's significantly further along than BF4 was at half a year after release.

Thats easy to say when BF4 has tons more of everything, vehicles, guns, accessories, gadgets etc.

Another reason for no Clone Wars. It's not in the zeitgeist. All of the media and merchandising is OT and ST content.

Rogue One - OT
Young Han Solo - OT
Rebels - OT
Episode 8 - ST
Episode 9 - ST

All of the comics and books are OT or ST.

The prequels have been, rightfully, marginalized.

MNC

Do we want more battlefront content? Absolutely. Do we want it in the form of a new game instead of proper expansion to the old game, which would "get more DLC and content during its lifespan"? Err....... And let's not call Nien Nub proper DLC 🙈

Has it been a year since battlefront 1 was released? This is a pretty hard kick in the nuts.

WillyFive

Another reason for no Clone Wars. It's not in the zeitgeist. All of the media and merchandising is OT and ST content.

Rogue One - OT
Young Han Solo - OT
Rebels - OT
Episode 8 - ST
Episode 9 - ST

All of the comics and books are OT or ST.

The prequels have been, rightfully, marginalized.

But Rebels' best episode is when the Clones come back and use their AT-TE to fight back against the AT-ATs. The Clone Wars have way too many awesome weapons, vehicles, and locations to not use.

Kickz

So is BattleFront finally a full game yet? I haven't checked back since buying the first week and then getting a refund a few days later

WillyFive

So is BattleFront finally a full game yet? I haven't checked back since buying the first week and then getting a refund a few days later

By the end of this year when all the DLC is out it will technically be the full game; but it works just fine now.

Do we want more battlefront content? Absolutely. Do we want it in the form of a new game instead of proper expansion to the old game, which would "get more DLC and content during its lifespan"? Err....... And let's not call Nien Nub proper DLC 🙈

Has it been a year since battlefront 1 was released? This is a pretty hard kick in the nuts.

By the time BF2 releases though, the game will have been 2 years old.

It's just that this announcement was super early due to investors.

5taquitos

Nien is one of the best heroes in the game. Dude's a beast.

Also, Battlefront 2 won't be out until October-ish of 2017, two years after the first one released. Nothing unusual there.

impact

Banned
Hope it remains "casual friendly" instead of going the hardcore route, IMO.

It was fun back in the days of Rainbow Six and the sort, but Star Wars is supposed to be fun, not something where people are obsessed over K/D ratios, etc.

Funnily enough, it's these kind of casual games where people care about K/D ratios and other meaningless things.

Weird cuz I couldn't seem to give a shit when I would just spawn and get shot in the back or spawn and die to some dumb ass vehicle 95% of the time. Not enough actual firefights where the best man wins.

Jingo

Didnt bought cause there was no campaign, the ultimate insult to a star wars fan where the story its everything, if the new one gets a campain, its day one!!!

Funnily enough, it's these kind of casual games where people care about K/D ratios and other meaningless things.

Weird cuz I couldn't seem to give a shit when I would just spawn and get shot in the back or spawn and die to some dumb ass vehicle 95% of the time. Not enough actual firefights where the best man wins.

Personally, i feel like this game goes beyond casual, which is the problem with it. COD isnt casual friendly, neither is Destiny. Hell i cant think of one huge game thats come out recently that went out of its way (a la Battlefront) to go THAT casual and still managed to surpass any of those games sales or population wise.

Going with a "casual friendly" design clearly isn't a benefit to anyone other than a small minority. If casuals only played games that were easy and simple, COD wouldn't be big, Destiny wouldn't have been big, Fallout wouldnt be popular, etc. It doesnt make any sense to go this route unless Disney forced it down their throats, which is entirely possible.

Nothing will ever add as much value to a game than dept, content, balance, and a game thats easy to get into but hard to master. The very best games do this. Theyre easy to pick up but hard to master.

Battlefront isn't like that at all. Its easy to pick up and as soon as you have, its already practically mastered. Thats never good game design and its why imo this game dropped like it did.

CamHostage

They just announced a new release. Whether it's a sequel with new gameplay and separate servers and all that (everybody's begging for SP, will they bring it?) or a "Gold Edition" relaunch with new content on the same engine and matchmaker, that's not clear from the statement. We also don't know how far into the new year it'll be, whether it's another holiday release or if it's an expansion that's due out early next year.

...but BTW, it's weird to me that people are angry that a sequel to a game is coming out on a frequent basis. The old Battlefront 1 and 2 were released within a year of each other. That's how game releases used to be, and for major franchises (which, with the collapse of the gaming middle-market and the indie revolution, is kind of the only franchise that can survive these days) that annualized approach is how they often work. I'd not like to see the Battlefront servers divided until there's something that can really be done in a sequel to make it its own thing (online game orphaning is a problem I wish game developers would solve,) but it feels like 2 years is plenty of time to make another Battlefront that's more robust (especially when the first game was relatively stingy in scope in order to focus the product) and justifies a sequel.

The Clone Wars have way too many awesome weapons, vehicles, and locations to not use.

Yep. In addition to being the best thing to come from Star Wars, The Clone Wars tv shows/era would provide the best gameplay potential. It's heroes/villains alone shit on most of what the OT can offer.

Edit : I'm still laughing at the Nien Nunb and Greedo DLC. D-tier characters at best

Yep. In addition to being the best thing to come from Star Wars, The Clone Wars tv shows/era would provide the best gameplay potential. It's heroes/villains alone shit on most of what the OT can offer.

Edit : I'm still laughing at the Nien Nunb and Greedo DLC. D-tier characters at best

Well, ask people that actually played with both heroes and they'll probably tell you that they're the best heroes in the game.

Orcus

Well, ask people that actually played with both heroes and they'll probably tell you that they're the best heroes in the game.
Exactly, they are both really fun to play. Guess that doesn't count when you don't care about fun, don't play the game, and just want to shit post about it.

The first one was decent but failed to hold my interest. Hope this one has a better system in place for vehicles and a single-player campaign.

Top Bottom