• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars: Battlefront coming in 2017, has new movie locations

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not surprising at all. the battlefront we have just now is focused on the original trilogy. this one in 2017 will be either the prequels or the sequel movies. then we'll get a third Battlefront in 2019 in time for Episode 9 release.

it gets a lot of hate but i enjoy battlefront. will probably pick it up. not interested in Battlefield 1 this year. i'll just keep playing BF4 + SW:BF until 2017 then!

WillyFive

Surprised they announced it so early considering the release date is so far away. Hopefully it has prequel stuff.

We're getting too many Star Wars video games.

No we're not, we have almost no Star Wars games compared to the past two decades.

Nobody wanted this

Thats a rather bold stance to speak for every one els. I for one loved Battlefront and its original trilogy setting, but now they have a whole new set of vehicles, weaponry, planets, soldier designs to go off of. Also even as an old Star Wars fan, i think i prefer the new look to the new trilogy.

JonCha

Enjoyed it all the way until the first DLC release and then burned out. I feel like the game was just getting by with the content it had - and that includes the free maps they released. I was also bummed out at the first pack being close quarters vs investing in Walker Assault and Turning point.

With that in mind, I'm not sure I care about a second Battlefront. I'm not sure using the same gameplay elements will carry it along.

I actually really liked battlefront reboot but I did feel kinda shafted on content and the immediate season pass for 50 bucks further made me feel ripped off

Now a sequel lined up for within a year? I feel uneasy

MilkyJoe

I'm seriously curious how many people leaving shit comments like this:

actually played the game.
And I don't mean played-the-beta-for-two-hours playing, but actually spend time with the full game.

I own the game.

Lets do a quick disection

The game;

Day 1 - Beautiful Star Wars experience

Day 7 - Game ruined by it's own levelling up system.

What are we in now? Month 6? - couldn't be less like Star Wars if it tried.

The cash grab

More content in the DLC than the full price game has to offer

Just because it is Star Wars it does not deserve a free pass.

PS look at your avatar, objective skills...

Phyla

Jezus, 14m. I wonder if they can match this with the sequel, considering the announcements of other SW projects recently. I won't buy it unless it has a fleshed out multiplayer or a robust campaign.

Don't worry my brothers one day we will get KOTOR I and II remastered with the restored content of KOTOR II, all of this as a pre order bonus

For this

knights-of-the-old-republic-3.jpg

And then we get KOTOR III it will be time to reunite again with my love Bastila Shan <3

BELIEVE!

And it shall be developed by the obsidilords, thus when the 13th moon arises over a lake of fire shall it release a golden light upon all humanity, Ushering in the age of peace and science as we spread amongst the stars to deliver upon more primitive species the work of our saviours,

Amen.

Z3M0G

Feels too soon, no? I would have expected them to push the first game with content for at least 2 full years, then a 1 year break, then the new game.

But yah, holding schedule with the movies is likely most important to them.

Could this perhaps still be the first game with much more content?

I'm down.

I don't have Battlefront (or a PS4 for that matter), so I'll just wait for this instead of buying the original. It'll probably have loads of improvements to justify the wait.

eloxx

This is good news. I loved Battlefront, it is really well done. Not much depth, but that was exactly what appealed to me. Boot it up, join a match, have fun, shut it down. Got that exact same vibe with the recent Overwatch beta.

Day 1 - Beautiful Star Wars experience

Day 7 - Game ruined by it's own levelling up system.

What are we in now? Month 6? - couldn't be less like Star Wars if it tried

Couldn't be less Star Wars if it tried? lol
It couldn't be more Star Wars then this.

More content in the DLC than the full price game has to offer

That simply isn't true

Just because it is Star Wars it does not deserve a free pass.

PS look at your avatar, objective skills...

It doesn't get a free pass. Visit the OT and you'll see that the most hardcore fans of the game are the ones that criticize it the most.

PS the fact I have a Star Wars avatar doesn't mean I can't look objectively at this game.

WillyFive

Despite the artists working so much to make a fantastically authenticity Star Wars visual experience, there are a lot of choices in the game that makes you wonder if they were made by someone else.

Like capital ships just hanging out within the atmosphere for some reason, or everyone having jet packs, or letting stormtroopers walk around without helmets, to the cringe-worthy lines the troops and heroes say, to even the lack of any material outside what was in visibly seen in the original trilogy. That's not how you take down AT-AT's, the game launched with heroes wearing the wrong clothes for their locations, it's just a bunch of random Star Wars stuff thrown around in a map and expecting people to say it's an awesome Star Wars game because it has stuff from Star Wars.

And I like the game, but it's far less Star Wars than Lego Star Wars (albeit to be fair, Lego Star Wars nailed Star Wars).

Despite the artists working so much to make a fantastically authenticity Star Wars visual experience, there are a lot of choices in the game that makes you wonder if they were made by someone else.

Like capital ships just hanging out within the atmosphere for some reason, or everyone having jet packs, or letting stormtroopers walk around without helmets, to the cringe-worthy lines the troops and heroes say, to even the lack of any material outside what was in visibly seen in the original trilogy. That's not how you take down AT-AT's, the game launched with heroes wearing the wrong clothes for their locations, it's just a bunch of random Star Wars stuff thrown around in a map and expecting people to say it's an awesome Star Wars game because it has stuff from Star Wars.

And I like the game, but it's far less Star Wars than Lego Star Wars (albeit to be fair, Lego Star Wars nailed Star Wars).

Well, they do have to make a game out of it, they're not remaking a movie. So being liberal with some stuff is inevitable.
do agree upon the helmetless troopers though, that bummed me out as well
But hey, opinions and all ;-)

MilkyJoe

That simply isn't true

It doesn't get a free pass. Visit the OT and you'll see that the most hardcore fans of the game are the ones that criticize it the most.

PS the fact I have a Star Wars avatar doesn't mean I can't look objectively at this game.

Then read below

Then go to the EA Star Wars Forum and read much of the same.

BigDug13

That simply isn't true

Actually it could be more like Star Wars. Getting into vehicles, etc shouldn't be an icon floating above the ground. Like old Battlefront games, it should be when I walk up to the vehicles that are sitting there. The icon-based pickups really detract from the feel of being in the Star Wars universe. I really hope they rectify that in the next game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I enjoy Battlefront enough, but the sequel needs a massive kick up the arse. For a major multiplayer game Battlefront is ripe with bafflingly idiotic design and balance. The map quality isn't very good either for some modes. I get that it was probably rushed out the door, but the production needs to step up badly.

Fuchsdh

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/730149598778535936

Hardly surprising with the first game selling 14m to retailers but...

Nice! Issues aside, I really liked the first one. I'd love to see bot match "campaigns" and the traditional vehicle style return in the new one.

What about you guys?

Blast if old

Haven't touched the new one because it *didn't* have those features, which I considered pretty essential to a Battlefront game. I doubt there's any impetus to do anything different considering how much it sold, though.

E-flux

I think Battlefront laid a good foundation, haven't bought the season pass so i don't know it improved or added anything new but i hope that this time around they put more content to both sp and mp modes.

Ep VII or Ep VIII locations?

I would redo the classic ones they have now in battlefront, but with proper Battlefield mechanics. Then add some to that. There are too many classic locations like hoth or endor to skip them in the next game.

I really hope they go back to what they do best. Sim style war games. If the BF4 population and the BF1 trailer likes is any indication, this is what people want. Not the stupid power-ups. I feel like this game was made for 5 year olds and it probably was.

takriel

I would redo the classic ones they have now in battlefront, but with proper Battlefield mechanics. Then add some to that. There are too many classic locations like hoth or endor to skip them in the next game.

I really hope they go back to what they do best. Sim style war games. If the BF4 population and the BF1 trailer likes is any indication, this is what people want. Not the stupid power-ups. I feel like this game was made for 5 year olds and it probably was.

But Ep VII or Ep VIII locations?

Sirim

Nobody wanted this
At first I agreed with you because of my disdain for current Battlefront, then I thought "New trilogy battlefront?", then I disagreed.

But, I'll say I'm cautiously looking forward to it.

They should've just nailed the current Battlefront and used DLC to keep updating it. I hope their plan isn't to release a new one during Episode 9 as well.

We're getting too many Star Wars video games.

So far this is the generation of hearing about Star Wars games but not playing Star Wars games. Can't wait for all this shit to finally come out.

Listonosh

How long before we see the first replier's name greyed out? Aren't the mods trying to cut down on this kind of trash posting?

Anyhoo... I can't wait. Still playing the first game.

I remember saying that exact thing in another thread a while back, and I was the one greyed out.

Business wise, it makes so much sense making a whole new game, but god dammit I just wish shit like that would just be added to the base game. Just add those maps/campaigns to the current BF.

I think everyone already knew exactly what their game was when they locked Battlefront 2015 to OT era. Clearly so it could be a bigger deal when the next game included pre or post OT areas.

I actually really like BF15 and I think the people who got it for $30-$40 bucks got it in the sweet spot. I'm on board for another one, I just might wait for the price to go down a little if it's still multiplayer only. Or I'll get impatient.

There's only been one ST movie so far, though. Not enough to make a whole game around. By the time the game comes out, Rogue One will have released as well but those are two completely different eras. So what will the game be? Will they cast aside locking it down to one era and do PT and ST together or what?

But Ep VII or Ep VIII locations?

Well unless they plan on putting more of the original trilogy ones in there, id expect some of both but more of EP7 especially considering the movie is out and there isnt any more secrecy surrounding it. Getting to work with lucasarts without the secrecy might be a lot easier for them now in terms of game design.

I think it might be difficult for them to get information, design specs, locations etc info with all the secrecy surrounding EP8.

And honestly, the prequels can always be used as well and even Rogue One.

JimiNutz

Banned
Can't wait for more Battlefront, critics and haters be dammed.
Between my girlfriend and I we've put in over 200 hours now on Xbox and PS4, that easily makes it my most played online game since the original Gears.

It may be slightly short on content and also fairly unbalanced but so what, it's fun as hell and if I can put in 200 hours on a game that's 'light' on content then God help me when the sequel comes out with even more features, maps and modes...

daman824

Highly doubt there are going to be too many improvements with a measly 2 year development time. No way they will match the content standards of the firs t2 battlefront games. We'll get 6 heroes and nod single player campaign.

I mean, EA wants to keep up with the movie schedule. But the main criticism for this game and why everyone bashes it is because a lack of content. What better way to fix that then to give DICE three full years to develop the next game

Experien

This is sad but happy.

Heroes are honestly my least favorite part of the game, so if they removed them (they won't), I'd be so happy.

And it shall be developed by the obsidilords, thus when the 13th moon arises over a lake of fire shall it release a golden light upon all humanity, Ushering in the age of peace and science as we spread amongst the stars to deliver upon more primitive species the work of our saviours,

Amen.

Amen

Cth

Hope it remains "casual friendly" instead of going the hardcore route, IMO.

It was fun back in the days of Rainbow Six and the sort, but Star Wars is supposed to be fun, not something where people are obsessed over K/D ratios, etc.

It'd be great if they didn't introduce cards that completely screwed the balance of everything else

Is that an issue in the main game? I'd honestly be interested in giving it another go but not if the balance got even worse than my short hours playing it. Put me down as wanting to get rid of the Star Card system completely in favor of a classic class system.

XAL

Is that an issue in the main game? I'd honestly be interested in giving it another go but not if the balance got even worse than my short hours playing it. Put me down as wanting to get rid of the Star Card system completely in favor of a classic class system.

Get ready to be shitted on by dark troopers with bowcasters and jetpack spam.

Top Bottom