• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars: Battlefront coming in 2017, has new movie locations

Spl1nter

DICE LA is making this one right? If so, my theory is becoming reality.

I dont think so, David Sirland (@t1ggr_) was at the BF1 reveal. It would appear that studio is primarily working on BF1 as they should be after their work on CTE. DICE has over 500 developers in Stolckholm so I am sure some team there is leading all the pre-production work on Battlefront right now.

Battlefront.
KOTOR 3
Battlefront.
New Rogue Squadron type game.
KOTOR 4.

Or better yet.

KOTOR
KOTOR
KOTOR
KOTOR

"Dude that's not variety"

Screw you! KOTOR is variety.

Don't worry my brothers one day we will get KOTOR I and II remastered with the restored content of KOTOR II, all of this as a pre order bonus

7IM1kqm.jpg

For this

knights-of-the-old-republic-3.jpg

And then we get KOTOR III it will be time to reunite again with my love Bastila Shan <3

BELIEVE!

Galactic conquest or bust.

If it doesn't have galactic conquest with space battles I won't be buying it. Simple as that really.

If I want a Star Wars shootbang I'll play 2015's BF.

Really surprised that there's no 2016 Star Wars game. At least not announced yet. Seems like EA is a little nervous since the rest of 2016 is light and won't compare to the year before. Guessing that's why they revealed the 2017 and 2018 SW game schedule (so that investors won't freak out when the results come in)

What was the theory?

That both DICE and DICE LA were working on Battlefront games, and that the DICE LA version would be a bigger game in general but also benefit from feedback from the BF 2015 as well as release in Fall 2017 (before Ep. 8) as EA's primary title. This would be so that they could launch a Star Wars game before the new movie to ride off of hype, which worked well. So this one will probably include things like space battles, more planets, and either a clones wars of TFA setting in addition to the galactic civil war. Maybe a campaign too. Then DICE LA will probably take the reigns for the Battlefront franchise since Viseral has been reassigned to a new Star Wars IP.

Coffinhal

Obviously it'll happen, with the sequels.

You have new heroes and vilains, new planets, new game modes, new weapons, maybe a small campaign.

They can use SW8's locations/heroes-vilains for the season pass.

But they won't change the core design and this is good because I don't want to play Battlefield every year.

Really surprised that there's no 2016 Star Wars game. At least not announced yet. Seems like EA is a little nervous since the rest of 2016 is light and won't compare to the year before. Guessing that's why they revealed the 2017 and 2018 SW game schedule (so that investors won't freak out when the results come in)
Why would they be worried they have two big franchises this holiday plus the sports titles

Durden77

I hope there's a way this can be an add on of sorts in a way. I don't want to quit playing all the classic stuff in the first EABF just because I feel like I have to because it's the new game. I wanna combine them and make a massive awesome BF.

Next years game should just be a major expansion + the game w/ dlc. Just like Destiny: Taken King.

Use it as a clean slate to redeem the lack of content at release and ridiculous $50 season pass.

What

It's the most pure SW experience in a game yet.

From a visual/audio design point of view.

There is no pre defined 'Star Wars game'.
Star Wars is a franchise built on story arcs and lore. Battlefront has neither, it's just a generic shooter dressed up in Star Wars attire.

Coffinhal

Star Wars is a franchise built on story arcs and lore. Battlefront has neither, it's just a generic shooter dressed up in Star Wars attire.

Explain to me how you build up a competitive MP shooter based on "story arcs and lore", besides using references and easter eggs from the movies ?

This is stupid.

eFKac

Hoped for more than two years of life in the first Battlefront.

Definitely won't be getting this at launch then. Hopefully it will fix all the bad decisions about the first game.

Now waiting for the Season Pass price drop.

Olengie

I totally misread the title. I thought it just said new movie locations as dlc. But a whole new Battlefront? Wtf.

I need my console Star Wars RPG fix. </3 KOTOR Pls

desu

Shocking News!

BF was my biggest dissapointment in 2016, not seeing myself buying a sequel unless they change/improve a lot.

ffvorax

A sequel after just one year?!? O_O
I even haven't played much the game... not gonna buy these games anymore before the price go down a lot if that is the trend...

Intel_89

Shit practice from EA, as usual. Unlike other developers that build their games as time goes by as a service they just want to force people who bought the underwhelming first game to buy this new one. I really hope it fails miserably but being a star wars game will probably be more than enough to keep them afloat.

MilkyJoe

Clone Wars or no buy. I played more of Clone Wars matches in the first two than I ever did of Rebels v Imperials.

ewww i rather have stuff from the new Movies, which looks like will be the case :)

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. I don't think they like the prequels, it'll probably be episode 4 - 8 with maybe some locations from Rogue One thrown in. WHo am I kidding, they won't be thrown in, they will be carved out for DLC.

Galava

A sequel after just one year?!? O_O
I even haven't played much the game... not gonna buy these games anymore before the price go down a lot if that is the trend...

2 years, Battlefront came out in 2015, the next one will surely launch end of 2017.

New Battlefield every 2 years, it's fine.

New Battlefront 2 years after the first one, OMG EA STOP.

I think it's fine and expected, we are getting the last DLC pack Q1 2017, and a new game in november 2017, it's fine.

I'm... not surprised since I said they were probably going to make more after seeing how little content there was at launch, but I am surprised how quick the announcement came. Especially having it right after the BF1 announcement.

ffvorax

2 years, Battlefront came out in 2015, the next one will surely launch end of 2017.

New Battlefield every 2 years, it's fine.

New Battlefront 2 years after the first one, OMG EA STOP.

I think it's fine and expected, we are getting the last DLC pack Q1 2017, and a new game in november 2017, it's fine.

Damn, I was sure we were in 2017 and i buyed the game this november...

Well then that's fine 2 year for me... :p

Explain to me how you build up a competitive MP shooter based on "story arcs and lore", besides using references and easter eggs from the movies ?

This is stupid.

No, what was stupid was leaving out a single player campaign in a Star Wars game. You know... the same way it works in Battlefield and Call of Duty despite also being competitive multiplayer shooters... You act like what I'm proposing is some sort of novelty instead of a standard in the medium...

PSOreo

Ground to space ala Battlefront 3 Alpha would be amazing but just space battles would be great. Surprised it's coming out relatively soon, I hope this indication of an annual churn out that turns into a burnout of the title.

Ludens

Banned
Here in Italy Gamestop sold the game for 10€.
I think it would just make sense on releasing new DLCs adding new maps and modes of the upcoming movies, but EA won't give up on those 70€.

Fishook

I won't be buying it, I enjoyed the first one, but I miss games not having stupid unlockables, as do not have the time or will to keep up with players who have grinded for ages. When I want a quick blast playing a multiplayer shooter.

Unless it has a proper single player campaign (10-15 hrs) or I wont bother with it. The new Battlefield looks my sort of game, but no doubt EA will ruin it.

They need to do space battles this time. It would be fucking embarrassing if they don't now that Call of Duty has beat them to the punch. I would also like to buy it this time.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm all for it if they go bigger this time, I thought Battlefront was really well made but ultimately I've fizzled off it because it feels a little... empty?

It seems soon but that's only because of this "announcement" being not super long after the current's release, it'll be 2 years after the current game released.

I am very shocked by this to be honest. Considering EA will be dropping both Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 this year I'm surprised they have the resources to also make a new Battlefront game.

MilkyJoe

There's a time and a place for that picture, and the most disappointing "EA-ing" of all time is not one of them.

Could this not be an add-on?

EA would have had BF2 started as soon as or before the last one went on sale. They are going to CoD this one whilst they have the licence. Lucky for them the graphics engine is so good that they can probably reuse a lot of the assets

Jawmuncher

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/730149598778535936

Hardly surprising with the first game selling 14m to retailers but...

Nice! Issues aside, I really liked the first one. I'd love to see bot match "campaigns" and the traditional vehicle style return in the new one.

What about you guys?

Blast if old

Traditional vehicles and classes is all I want along with a bot campaign. Hopefully they took the feedback. Since they nailed everything else the first time.

I don't get the time to play the first one and haven't played since before the first DLC dropped, but it's a really fun game. A new iteration was always going to be inevitable and I'll keep my eye on it.

Top Bottom