• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

Soulfire

So recently, I've decided to study the grammar rules of English in more detail. Despite only speaking English, I never really paid attention to grammar beyond the basics. It is only by closely looking at the rules of English grammar that I have come to realise how hard it is for me to master. I think the main thing that makes learning difficult is the way the same word can function in many different ways.

I find it hard to correctly identify the components of sentence just by looking at it. I particularly struggle with adverbs (clauses and phrases) and verbals. I find it hard to work out the subject and direct/indirect objects in unfamiliar sentences despite knowing what each component "does" on its own (in simple examples). The chameleon-like quality of words in English only makes things more difficult.

I've also tried to grasp proper punctutation usage and here again (despite understanding the function of each mark), I become confused. I find myself frequently conflicted about which punctuation mark would be most be most appropiate - especially when it comes to commas. I'll often read a piece of writing online and I'll come across a comma or a colon placement which contradicts the rules I have learned. A common one is a comma before a conjunction.

I suppose what I want to know is how do you guys master the rules of English grammar? How do you know you're doing it correctly? All I've been using so far are a few grammar books. Do you guys find yourself obsessing over punctuation and grammar when reading or writing? This is something I've noticed since I've started self-studying grammar. I find I can't enjoy a book or an article online because I'm constantly looking at the punctuation. I feel as if it's inhibiting my abilty to write confidently because I keep thinking about grammar and punctuation.

So yeah...just wondering how you guys learrned the rules of grammar and if you had any tips on writing more confidently (and honestly)?

I don't really have anything to add, but I saw that a book called Kiss My Asterisk: A Feisty Guide to Punctuation and Grammar was on sale today and thought of your post.

Hello again,

About to publish my book to Amazon but I ran into an issue that's probably a huge deal to readers. And that is DRM.

You have an option on kindle to use it or not, and it's irreversible once implemented. Now, of course pirates are going to pirate, but after reading some forums and reddit threads the general impression among consumers is DRM = no buy.

DRM limits how the consumer uses your product (ties it to device) but if the consumer intended on sharing it to handful of people they can't do that unless using the device's share feature.

Though there are several ways it can be broken if you do a google search. I don't really mind not having DRM enabled, as there are options for paperback. Most readers I know would rather have a physical copy but I'd like to hear from authors about this.

There is no point in applying DRM to a self-publication. People will read it, like it, and they'll find a way to make sure money comes your way (see Patreon and so on). If you tie off their ability to even remotely share anything, you'll cut off any potential to spread the word on your work from the start, and then it doesn't matter what you made.
Furthermore, the people most affected by DRM are the people who actually bought the damn product, because they can't use the devices they have, while having spent money on your product. It's a fool's game to try to limit the idea of piracy, when in reality you can take advantage of it. There will always be cheapskates or people without money, who might however be an influence on those who do.

So in essense, DRM is just a dick move that benefits no one. Least of all a self-publisher.

I never DRM stuff. Screw that. Of course I'm not gonna retire on what I'm making via Kindle anyway.

There is no point in applying DRM to a self-publication. People will read it, like it, and they'll find a way to make sure money comes your way (see Patreon and so on). If you tie off their ability to even remotely share anything, you'll cut off any potential to spread the word on your work from the start, and then it doesn't matter what you made.
Furthermore, the people most affected by DRM are the people who actually bought the damn product, because they can't use the devices they have, while having spent money on your product. It's a fool's game to try to limit the idea of piracy, when in reality you can take advantage of it. There will always be cheapskates or people without money, who might however be an influence on those who do.

So in essense, DRM is just a dick move that benefits no one. Least of all a self-publisher.

Thanks for these replies, I just had to make sure before going forward. No DRM for my book or any others. I'm going to work on uploading it this week.

JaseMath

Question as I'm curious for those of you who had any work published, self-published or otherwise. How did you come about your title? Was it something you had in mind, or did you discover it during the actual writing?

For whatever reason, I'm curious at what stage people create their titles. Also, I'm certain of my second novel's title (should I be fortunate enough to write a second), but am hot and cold on my current work. I have a working—possibly final—title, but nothing more.

I've been missing from this thread for a while, but I've lurked and skimmed a bit, and I just want to say congrats to you guys who took part of H.Protag's challenge. Whether or not you made money, you at the very least put something out into the world. Not a lot of people can say that.

Question as I'm curious for those of you who had any work published, self-published or otherwise. How did you come about your title? Was it something you had in mind, or did you discover it during the actual writing?

For whatever reason, I'm curious at what stage people create their titles. Also, I'm certain of my second novel's title (should I be fortunate enough to write a second), but am hot and cold on my current work. I have a working—possibly final—title, but nothing more.

For my first self-published title, I chose the name of the "Heart of the World" (Ahvarra). She permits travelers from one world (a medieval style one with magic and a strange destructive race called the Ameleons) to another (our world about 15 years in our future where 3D VR internet is a thing).

For the novellas I'm publishing right now, one per month, I went with "Knight " and then a word that includes "dent." Knight Descendent, Knight Ardent, Knight Evident... there will be 9 more in "The Knight's Journal" series. The main character is the 3rd son of a knight and wants to become a knight too instead of going to a monastery, so his father gives him 12 tasks to complete in a year to ascend to knighthood.

I totally feel you. My book comes out on Tuesday and the marketing process is painful. I'm thinking about creating a podcast and reading a chapter or two so the word spreads out. Even then, I'm not sure where to share it. Everyone says that to succeed you need to know your audience, in this case the genre, and keep delivering material, but the competition is overwhelming that it will drown before it comes out.

Anyways, here is my book:

UlJju82l.jpg

It's a psychological thriller with scifi. It's part of a long series where mysticism, psychology, quantum mechanics come together to uncover the Truth of humanity.

Whoa, nice cover!!

Yeah, marketing is tough and you're expected to do it before the book comes out, but word of mouth after release will always be your best bet. Good luck!

Okay, another dilemma.

Now I just realized I don't have any pages in my manuscript before the first chapter, other than a thank you page and inner title page should I put a table of contents? ( guess that's a no brainer, just forgot). Anything else?

Copyright page?

Yeah, doing an internet search I was led to some writers talking about the little filler pages in the beginning of the book before the first chapter. Some mentioned a copyright page.

(EDIT removed. I'm so wrong about this earlier), since the laws dictate the writing is yours once you start writing. I think the web pages came from the angle pre-kindle where self publishers had to go through the red tape of publishers and what not. I could be wrong, the authors on the kindle forums don't even properly copyright their work before publishing.

I'm going to make one right now.

Breakage

No. As someone who grew up struggling with dyslexia, I tend not to focus on grammar and spelling until revisions. I mainly focus on making sentences flow together well and cutting down on repetition by varying up the description with synonyms.

Thanks for the input. I guess I just need to overcome the urge to get it perfect the first time around. I feel as if the constant stop/start/checking of grammar is the main barrier that prevents me from producing the stream-of-conscious writing that I want to achieve.

I don't really have anything to add, but I saw that a book called Kiss My Asterisk: A Feisty Guide to Punctuation and Grammar was on sale today and thought of your post.

Thank you. I appreciate the suggestion. I'll definitely check it out.

And the obligatory rejection from Penguin. Always a shot in the dark, but that it came back so fast means the book really didn't fit or really something else. For all I know I forgot a fucking cover page and that saw it tossed in the trash.

I'm halfway through the Preditors and Editors database, and after that, I guess it'll be time to self publish. Haven't had an agent request more since...I dunno, like October of last year?

It stopped being fun way before October.

I have something I want to get off my chest somewhere, and I figure this is an okay place to do it. It's nothing major.
Eh, I have a bit of a writing "social circle" on a certain nigh-unbearable social media site, by which I mean I interact with several other authors regularly. A lot of posts are regular talks about people's writing processes, jokes, etc. A lot are also about everyone' inability to write, whether it be from writer's block, low self-esteem, or just that it's hard.
Problem is, I can't relate at all. Writing's pretty straightforward and fun for me. I don't really feel okay mentioning it, though, because I don't want to come across as gloating or as a snob. I'm sure this is true for others, some of you included, but I also get the sense that it might discourage those who are having a difficult time (perhaps asking themselves, "Other people like WR do it so easily, what's my problem?" Not that I've ever seen anyone do it). As such, I don't talk about my process much.

Maybe I wouldn't be self-conscious about this if I were already published. :p

I have something I want to get off my chest somewhere, and I figure this is an okay place to do it. It's nothing major.
Eh, I have a bit of a writing "social circle" on a certain nigh-unbearable social media site, by which I mean I interact with several other authors regularly. A lot of posts are regular talks about people's writing processes, jokes, etc. A lot are also about everyone' inability to write, whether it be from writer's block, low self-esteem, or just that it's hard.
Problem is, I can't relate at all. Writing's pretty straightforward and fun for me. I don't really feel okay mentioning it, though, because I don't want to come across as gloating or as a snob. I'm sure this is true for others, some of you included, but I also get the sense that it might discourage those who are having a difficult time (perhaps asking themselves, "Other people like WR do it so easily, what's my problem?" Not that I've ever seen anyone do it). As such, I don't talk about my process much.

Everyone is different, unique. I do tend to find there are more people who struggle to write than there are who find it comes easily. It's a skill, and in some sense while it can be learned, the art of it, of creation, is either something you have or don't.

There was a young woman in my last writing group who was writing a journal of her life. Yes, she was young, but she had already accomplished quite a bit, having established a charitable organization to help feed the hungry in poor countries. Quite an amazing young woman. But she admitted that she lacked the skill to produce anything of fiction. She couldn't imagine stories or characters in her head. In terms of writing, her skill was based on fact.

I fear many people come to writing a book and feel "this will be easy" and then after a time find out it's not as easy as they thought. Many drift away from it. For those who are stubborn enough to stick with it, my recommendation would be to have them try different things. Don't sit there and think "I have to write a spy novel" or "I have to write a sexy romance with a werewolf." I started writing spy novels. They weren't very good. Some of it is just finding the right fit, the right topic, and then having the muse move you.

Some of us are very close to our muses.

I wonder if it's more on how people go about writing the things they write than anything else. I'm also part of some writer's groups (through Facebook), and see some of the "THIS IS SO HARD I AM STUCK" and the like posts, which are fine. That happens to all of us. But then I find out this guy is writing his book completely out of order and keeps forgetting things that happened because he hasn't actually written them yet.

Which maybe works for some people but maybe not for him :p

Yeah I've taken more to not talking about my writing process as it's not that tough for me to write but it seems to come a tad harder for other fellow writers I know.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm in a huge rut. I'm starting to think that my book is something nobody would ever want to read. I envision it as something I know I myself would find entertaining but I'm not sure I have that head -> paper ratio to make it seem the same way to other people. I'm worried I should have avoided the fantasy element entirely, as books about people with powers often get laughed aside as a dime a dozen. I also have quite a few action scenes that I feel would make a great movie, but not quite sure if they came across well as text. I don't really read action books (incidentally, some references would be nice) so I don't have anything to base that off of.

Sorry for the semi-shitpost, I need a place to vent my frustrations. Carry on.

I'm in a huge rut. I'm starting to think that my book is something nobody would ever want to read. I envision it as something I know I myself would find entertaining but I'm not sure I have that head -> paper ratio to make it seem the same way to other people. I'm worried I should have avoided the fantasy element entirely, as books about people with powers often get laughed aside as a dime a dozen. I also have quite a few action scenes that I feel would make a great movie, but not quite sure if they came across well as text. I don't really read action books (incidentally, some references would be nice) so I don't have anything to base that off of.

Read Joe Abercrombie. He's pretty amazing at action/battle/fight scenes.

Sorry to hear that. Incidentally, I have no idea how I'm going to sell my talking toy book because I can't imagine there's much of a market for Toy Story + GTA. It's not like it's all that smart of a novel either.

For action sequences, what kind are you talking? I always hit up R.A. Salvatore for swords and magic. For guns though, I guess I don't have much. I don't read that many action books set in the present. And the scifi ones I have read lately were really shitty :p

Sorry to hear that. Incidentally, I have no idea how I'm going to sell my talking toy book because I can't imagine there's much of a market for Toy Story + GTA. It's not like it's all that smart of a novel either.

For action sequences, what kind are you talking? I always hit up R.A. Salvatore for swords and magic. For guns though, I guess I don't have much. I don't read that many action books set in the present. And the scifi ones I have read lately were really shitty :p

I would think the query letter for your talking toy book would look like this.

Dear Person Who Wants To Get Rich Being My Agent:

Picture this.

Toy Story + GTA.

Sincerely,
ConkersBadFurDay

I would think the query letter for your talking toy book would look like this.

Dear Person Who Wants To Get Rich Being My Agent:

Picture this.

Toy Story + GTA.

Sincerely,
ConkersBadFurDay
brb copy/pasting this into a Word doc for future use.

Edit: but to be serious, that kind of tone is maybe exactly what I need. Not the "get rich" bit, but just the silly bit.

brb copy/pasting this into a Word doc for future use.

Edit: but to be serious, that kind of tone is maybe exactly what I need. Not the "get rich" bit, but just the silly bit.

It was really only half tongue in cheek tbh. I do think if you've done the usual query letter with all the blah blah blah this and blah blah blah that, maybe shake it up and just try a couple that are just like that.

Or take this pic and just photoshop Woody, Buzz and Rex's head on them.
GTAV-Review.jpg

With a tag line like "You've never seen toys act like this."

Good luck.

It was really only half tongue in cheek tbh. I do think if you've done the usual query letter with all the blah blah blah this and blah blah blah that, maybe shake it up and just try a couple that are just like that.

Or take this pic and just photoshop Woody, Buzz and Rex's head on them.

With a tag line like "You've never seen toys act like this."

Good luck.
Also a pretty brilliant idea. Not sure what the word is on putting images in query letters though.

I still have to edit the fucker at least two more times before it's in any shape to be sent out, which will thankfully be more fun than sending it out. Start draft three on May 1st. Already shopping some ideas around for book #4. One's a kid's book about a girl who wants to see the ocean and winds up in some Narnia styled world. Maybe a bit rote in terms of plot, but there's a talking cat and witches. I've done up some bits of it as pieces of flash fiction and like the two characters if nothing else. Second is a fantasy story that's more YA than I'd like, but could be a fun take on magic. No characters or plot yet, just the world. Needs work.

Are there any concerns about editors/focus groups straight up stealing your entire book and publishing it themselves? This scares me a little. Probably being a little paranoid lol

Are there any concerns about editors/focus groups straight up stealing your entire book and publishing it themselves? This scares me a little. Probably being a little paranoid lol

Naw. Copyright covers it the moment you hit the keys on your keyboard.

No editor would ever tank their career over that.

More likely with writing groups, but still not really a concern.

Yay my second beta reader went waaaay better than my first. My first beta reader was a bit condescending with their feedback, and gradually was giving more and more feedback which showed they weren't even reading really anymore (asking questions that were answered In the text, claiming things happened one way when they clearly didn't, etc. constantly fudging details.) I also started to get the impression they really just wanted it to be a different book.

My second beta reader though was a blast. Much better suggestions, feedback and also really liked the book a lot.

Yay my second beta reader went waaaay better than my first. My first beta reader was a bit condescending with their feedback, and gradually was giving more and more feedback which showed they weren't even reading really anymore (asking questions that were answered In the text, claiming things happened one way when they clearly didn't, etc. constantly fudging details.) I also started to get the impression they really just wanted it to be a different book.

My second beta reader though was a blast. Much better suggestions, feedback and also really liked the book a lot.

Just curious. Where do you find beta readers?

I am currently not at a stage of my writing where I need readers, but I think it would be instructional to alpha/beta read for someone else.

Just curious. Where do you find beta readers?

I am currently not at a stage of my writing where I need readers, but I think it would be instructional to alpha/beta read for someone else.

Let's see, I ultimately found a total of 3 Beta Readers across two different groups. Good Reads has a couple Beta Reader communities, but if you're writing anything beyond Thrillers and Romance don't expect a lot of responses. I ultimately had one response to my post (the meh beta reader) and I had to reach out to another offering her services and she's yet to read my stuff because she's in such high demand she has a queue.

There's also some Beta Reading Groups on Facebook, but again unless you're writing the really popular genres (and scifi/fantasy isn't one of them) expect only a handful of Beta Readers offering to check out your stuff. Hope that helps.

If you're looking to Beta Read for right now, to get a sense for it and to help with your own writing you're welcome to look at my work, but if you're looking for specific genres you should have ample offerings on either Good Reads or Facebook Groups. There's way more authors than interested Beta Readers.

Though don't try and turn it into a critique buddy situation. Not that I'm saying you will, but some Beta Readers try parley a beta read into a critique partnership, and that's generally frowned upon in these communities. People prefer others be up front about wanting to exchange feedback. That's been my experience anyway.

JaseMath

I'm continually amazed how much is changing between my first and second drafts. Notwithstanding the overall quality of writing, placement of events and shifting perspectives, and adding wrinkles to the narrative with additional details has really made the story come together.

That said, is it common to move entire chapters around? The first portion of my story is really focused on relationships, and I've reached a point where I think I've said enough and don't want to run the risk of being overly verbose. I have a chapter WAAAAY toward the end that can be restructured to work within the story and advance it nicely, but it would essentially mean re-writing one, and starting a new one from scratch to fill the gap. Is this approach typical for some of you guys?

Bishop89

Apologies for posting this here but I couldn't find a more relevant thread, and I figure the people in this thread would be at the very least creative :p

I want to create a brand, that I can build a blog around and hopefully later on scale it to become a business of sorts however I have been stuck on naming it for so damn long. This is probably the hardest thing for me to come up with.

I'm not posting here for you guys to suggest names to me, I just want to know on how you would create a name for yourself, how to get those creative juices flowing.

I suppose this could apply to the novels you guys are writing too.

Where do you draw inspiration from?
Your hobbies, things you love and are into?
Just slap a couple of random words together?
Make up words?
Google translate words from other languages? lol

If this post is not allowed in this thread I'd be more than happy to be directed to a more relevant OT. Couldn't find a business or blog |OT| anywhere! :(

Mr-Joker

Banned
Been awhile since I posted in here but I was busy with real life as I got into a dental nursing course then Breath of the Wild came and went.

But I didn't waver and still kept working on my book and I please that progress is going smoothly, really can't wait to see the finished version, get other people to read it for feedback and then begin the editing process.

Anywhere really, it could be from a show I am watching, a game I am playing, experience from my life or from current event.

As for naming well, I tend to throw a lot of names onto the board and then pick one one that that I feel suits the project.

I find myself inspired by the dark ages, of the fact that so much of the written word was either lost or those who filled in the gaps of the Fall of Rome had more of an oral history component than a written one.

Which basically leaves several centuries open for the imagination to fill in with the written word.

Ahvarra (my first novel) is set partially in our future and partially in a separate world, but that separate world has roots in the dark ages. Don't want to reveal too much in case any of you still plan on reading it.

What I'm working on now, from the writing challenge, is set on the British Isles directly in the wake of the Roman departure. No magic, but I'm leaning heavily on an existing legend to tell the "truth" that then becomes embellished by bards in an oral history later.

And I've also been working with my friend from college on a co-authored piece that is set in dark ages Europe.

Happy Star Wars Day, my writing friends. It's been a little while since I gave a 2017 Writing Challenge update, so here goes:

The Knight's Journal I, a collection of the first three novellas, went live on World Book Day, April 23rd. At $4.99 it's a bargain over the $9 someone would pay for the first three combined at full price. I'll run a sale on it a little later, as novella 5 is coming out.

Novella #4, Knight Transcendent, went live as planned on May 1st (might have been Apr 30th depending on where you live).

As of today and for the next five days, the first novella, Knight Descendent, is free. I've been tweeting about it today, tying it into Star Wars (Knights, Empire crumbling, etc.).

From the sales side, still in a little bit of a muddle. I am actually seeing some pages being read on Kindle Unlimited, so some of this is picking up a bit, but no sales in the last 30 days. I have a couple of Goodreads reviews for the first two novellas.

Also, for anyone playing along, this is going to merge into a very famous legend here soon. I've been dropping tidbits. I have one fan on GAF who is reading along and we have been interacting. He can't guess it yet (he's finished book 2 and is enjoying it) but he knows there's some big reveal coming. It'll be interesting to see whether book 4 makes people think "oh shit" or whether it's still just "is he <insert legendary character here>...?" Obviously, the game is to get folks to wonder if that is the case and to keep them engaged in reading along to find out.

Now, novella 5 is underway and I'm still a little bit ahead (through May 3rd I was at 4500 words), but there's personal stuff going on (my mom is very sick--long-term kind of sick--and me and my sibs are helping out my dad). Hopefully I can keep on this pace in the limited spare time I have, because at this point it's actually therapeutic for me to get my mind off of that.

Edit - also, wanted to ask how legit that fiverr link was before? I started to go through the process and it was asking for payment before requesting any book links or author info. Seemed sketchy so I backed out and thought I'd ask to make sure someone has used it before.

Soulfire

Awesome update! Happy to see that you're still doing this. I've used Fivr several times, bknights specifically, it's a legitimate site and the seller has been good to me. I've had decent results from them and the one time I didn't they actually refunded the sale.

Awesome update! Happy to see that you're still doing this. I've used Fivr several times, bknights specifically, it's a legitimate site and the seller has been good to me. I've had decent results from them and the one time I didn't they actually refunded the sale.
Thanks, Soulfire! Hope all is going well with you and the new baby!

I'll proceed with the promotion to tie it into the collection going on sale.

zulux21

I am finally writing again.
things aren't flowing well, but I think the basic ideas are solid and that is all that really matters to me in a first draft lol.

here's hoping may is productive now that horizon and persona are done >.<;

So I've entered the editing phase for my book The Tartarus Syndrome, even have it up for preorder on amazon for digital as I am still editing the physical version as well as the digital one and they both need two different types of formatting. I got the formatting done and the first couple chapters of each edited and revised.

So far I'm finding that I did myself a favor in that I made sure make very few mistakes, and need very little to any revision work which I find surprising although some of the feedback from people I've shared it with have come to the same consensus that the characters and story are incredibly strong, especially the world. Which I personally can't see but I like what I've written, but as an artist I want my art to be consumed by others.

I need someone to do the OT for when the book releases too. :/

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finally got in the flow again.

I think I pushed myself past my previous skill ceiling. My chapters feel more "real" and vivid now. It's really pushed me to continue even with all of the self doubt I have.

Side effect of writing creatively: my dreams are MUCH more vivid now. They've graduated from conceptual ideas to solid sequences of events, sometimes like a movie. Has anyone else experienced this? It makes me think that improving your creative writing skills changes the way your brain thinks of things.

Top Bottom