• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

zulux21

Once... I wrote in present tense once and now I'm fucking up my tenses left and right. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez, experimentation isn't worth this.

present tense is so much more natural for me that it doesn't matter if I do some past tense stuff or not. I have to actively think about past tense while I don't have to think about present tense at all.

it likely has to do with the fact that the way I write is typically visualizing the whole scene in my head and then writing things as they play out in my head thus present tense just makes more sense to my head.

on another note, such a great feeling when you know something is having a problem and you are forcing something and you can fix it by just having a different character do it :p

Grudy

I'm so busy these days with work and planning to move to another country that I never have time to write anymore >_< At best I'm making time every Friday for 4-5 hours but then I'm just working on my outline and brainstorming characters. About to finish my first notebook though which I started in 2014, just 4 pages are left out of 220.

I am looking for any short daily writing exercises to do at work. Not sure what though. I'm currently using an app called Elevate which helps improve my English but I need something more creative.

Any expert horror writers in here? I'm currently writing a horror short story with a monster in it and I'm looking for some advice on write monster horror.

I've written a horror story before but that was supernatural. Supernatural came easier to me since I could create things that preyed on psychological horror while a monster is centered in reality. :/

But I am determined to write this. Any tips?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Any expert horror writers in here? I'm currently writing a horror short story with a monster in it and I'm looking for some advice on write monster horror.

I've written a horror story before but that was supernatural. Supernatural came easier to me since I could create things that preyed on psychological horror while a monster is centered in reality. :/

But I am determined to write this. Any tips?

I'm unaware of any consistent horror writers here besides me, so I'm just going to go ahead and give myself the mantle of horror expert here :3 I've also been listening to a bunch of the No Sleep Podcast; an audio horror fiction podcast(like a disgusting amount) so I've heard a lot of monster descriptions as of late.

I think the best advice I can give about horror monsters is don't describe all of it. The best horror monsters are the ones where the reader is not sure what they're looking at, which is obviously tough to do when you have to describe this indescribable creature. What I find works well is when you describe a part of it, and kind of leave the rest a little ambiguous. I'd recommend focusing on parts of the body, or just general weird movements that personally creep you out. Try to focus in and make that aspect of the monster the creepiest, but leave the rest a bit of a mystery. Don't burden the reader with over detail unless it is genuinely creepy. If they get too clear a vision of what the monster is, then chances are the monster isn't that creepy anymore.

Anyway, I want to give an example from a horror story by this very prolific and pretty good horror writer, Michael Whitehouse called Off the Beaten Path. I'd recommend giving it a read because it's pretty good(not a favorite of mine though) but I'm going to quote a bit bellow with the monster reveal to show what I mean about details and brevity.

Off the Beaten Path by Michael Whitehouse said:
Two paltry hours of sleep later, however, Robert woke to the sound of something stirring outside of his tent. He had left the camp fire burning as he was uncomfortable in spending another night in darkness, and its flames seemed to dance, shifting and changing shape in the night air, casting shadows all around onto the thin canvas of Robert's tent like a naturally occurring cinema screen.

Casting one shadow in-particular; the shadow of someone sitting by the fire.

Robert froze, his mouth went dry and his breathing became shallow and anxious. He could not believe that he had been so stupid to persuade himself that no one was following him. In lighting another fire he had led them directly to where he slept and now they had the upper hand. God knew what they wanted!

[...]

With one eye, he peeked through the slit between the two flaps of canvas, slowly. There it was. Someone sitting at the camp fire. By his build, Robert was certain it was a man. The back-light of the camp fire made it difficult to decipher any of his features, but the shoulders were broad, strong, and it was clear that this man had been in the wilderness for some time, as it appeared that he was wearing rags of cloth which hung loosely around him. His head was covered in long strands of black, wet hair which had clumped together in places, presumably because it had not been washed for some time.

Staring at the back of the man's head,
Robert tried as best he could to subdue his fear. [...]

Something was odd about the way the man was sitting. First of all, he was sitting still. So still that you would be forgiven for mistaking him for a statue. Not the slightest movement was made, nor was there any indication of life at all. No subtle shifting of weight, no rising and falling of breath. Nothing.

While this stillness was unnerving, it was Robert's second observation which bothered him the most. The man was sitting forward, facing the fire, but the shape and position of his upper body and head was somehow... off. They did not seem to quite add up, his frame seemed unnaturally positioned.

A crackle from the fire followed by a wayward flicker of light revealed the truth. The flames lit up the area momentarily; the light bouncing from tree to tree, even onto Robert's tent and reflected back onto what surrounded it.

Two pin points of light momentarily shone in the night through black clumps of matted hair. Yes the man's legs were facing the fire, but his body and head were horribly contorted, twisted into an inhuman posture. The man's legs were indeed facing the fire, but his head and body were facing the Robert.

This was no man at all.

How long it had sat there staring at Robert in that tent, waiting, he did not know, but a creak of movement from its neck was enough to send Robert out of the tent, into the woods, consumed by a terror so profound that it could be likened to madness.

I bolded the monster's descriptions to kind of show what I mean. It's good because it's not too much. We don't get the monster's face, or really anything else. All we get is a vague shape. The reader thinks it's the shape of a person at first, but when it's revealed it's not... well the only thing we really know for certain is that it's not shaped like a person and that this thing not quite the shape of a person is still in the woods with you.

Almost done with draft two of Toyland. Been a roller coaster of shit so far, but the last big up and down is almost here.

But my birthday is coming up soon, and I figure one stupid thing I could do for myself is send my second book to Penguin. Whole thing will cost like $25 to print and mail, and it isn't the most standard of urban fantasy, but oh well. It's a birthday present and it's not like they'll remember me if they don't like it.

Plus, just because it doesn't have vampires and teens wanting to fuck vampires doesn't make it not urban fantasy :p

Went through the first two chapters just now and don't hate them by any means. Hell, I like almost all of chapter one. It ends a bit abruptly? I'm not sure how to peg it, and I might try and give it some thought before sending. It would mean rewriting five or so pages though, which I don't want to do.

It's basically the "Norbert realizes magic is real" moment coupled with him accidentally starting a fire at school that no one can prove he started. The scenes move quickly because the teachers are forcing it along, and maybe there isn't enough "holy shit I just did magic!" in there. Or maybe it's missing something else. I'm not sure.

Chapter two is fine.

FlowersisBritish

But my birthday is coming up soon, and I figure one stupid thing I could do for myself is send my second book to Penguin. Whole thing will cost like $25 to print and mail, and it isn't the most standard of urban fantasy, but oh well. It's a birthday present and it's not like they'll remember me if they don't like it.

There is no better birthday gift than an expensive submission. I've been meaning to send something to the New Yorker for a bit once I get money together
and a few rejections. If I remember, The New Yorker does not like simultaneous submissions :/

JaseMath

In lieu of Breath of the Wild and because I haven't really taken a break from my book in months, I'm taking several weeks off to let it mellow. I'm burned out.

Anyone else ever do this? Is it worth it? There's no worry of me abandoning the project. I simply need to approach the project with fresh eyes.

zulux21

In lieu of Breath of the Wild and because I haven't really taken a break from my book in months, I'm taking several weeks off to let it mellow. I'm burned out.

Anyone else ever do this? Is it worth it? There's no worry of me abandoning the project. I simply need to approach the project with fresh eyes.

I have ended up taking long periods off from writing over the years, though since i started up again seriously last year I think the longest break has been 2-3 weeks due to life being busy.

in general it requires me to reread some stuff, and really I need to sit down and read my stuff constantly anyways given how many little details I try to sneak in their to link to future stuff anyways.

I have a very good memory for keeping track of such things, but if you don't an extended break could require you to reread everything when you start up. which isn't a bad thing, you can see if your stuff is consistent and what not and see if the things you forgot you wrote still sound decent or if you think "what in the hell was I thinking."

tl:dr : if you are burt out, a few weeks off isn't bad as long as you realize that you will have to likely go through things you wrote before starting up again.

I've taken breaks from projects before. 9-10 years later I promptly got back to it. I think a lot of people go a lot longer.

I would recommend sticking with your project. Just play zelda in your break time. If you don't have break time, have break time.

Soulfire

I believe Stephen King does this before he begins editing. I've found when I do give myself a break after the first draft that I'm more brutal with editing because I'm not as close to it.

So I have a somewhat unique case with my novel I'm going to be looking to publish soon. The book I've written is essentially a significantly revised edition of a novella (50,000 words, so a bit of a long novella) I published back in 2013. It was my first ever attempt and it basically went no where. Didn't know what I was doing, didn't know how to promote and it basically sold five copies, mostly friends and family. It went up on Amazon as an Ebook only.

In preparation to rewrite it and do the story proper justifice I removed the listing from Amazon. But it's Goodreads page still exists and as I understand it cannot be removed due to their policies. I'm trying to figure out how to handle this when querying.

The two books are similar at the heart of the story, but events have been fleshed out, additional characters introduced and this new version is far more thorough. Does anyone know if I should mention the unsuccessful original novella or not in my query?

I've been trying to get some guidance and the most relevant information I could find is people querying about their own self-published novels and whether to mention it or not. Some seemed to indicate it was fine/a good idea to mention that your book has been self-published, others felt it was a death sentence and better left to mention until after the agent/publisher was interested.

Anyone have an idea about how I should handle my scenario or where I could get guidance? I'd hate to waste time querying this book if I've doomed my chances, and move straight onto self-publishing again or know if I'm just fretting over nothing.

So I have a somewhat unique case with my novel I'm going to be looking to publish soon. The book I've written is essentially a significantly revised edition of a novella (50,000 words, so a bit of a long novella) I published back in 2013. It was my first ever attempt and it basically went no where. Didn't know what I was doing, didn't know how to promote and it basically sold five copies, mostly friends and family. It went up on Amazon as an Ebook only.

In preparation to rewrite it and do the story proper justifice I removed the listing from Amazon. But it's Goodreads page still exists and as I understand it cannot be removed due to their policies. I'm trying to figure out how to handle this when querying.

The two books are similar at the heart of the story, but events have been fleshed out, additional characters introduced and this new version is far more thorough. Does anyone know if I should mention the unsuccessful original novella or not in my query?

I've been trying to get some guidance and the most relevant information I could find is people querying about their own self-published novels and whether to mention it or not. Some seemed to indicate it was fine/a good idea to mention that your book has been self-published, others felt it was a death sentence and better left to mention until after the agent/publisher was interested.

Anyone have an idea about how I should handle my scenario or where I could get guidance? I'd hate to waste time querying this book if I've doomed my chances, and move straight onto self-publishing again or know if I'm just fretting over nothing.
Can you change the title to something else?

I would strongly recommend NOT bringing up the self published version. At best agents won't care and at worst they'll consider it an already published work and won't want it.

Also, I always thought 50k + words was a novel.

I would strongly recommend NOT bringing up the self published version. At best agents won't care and at worst they'll consider it an already published work and won't want it.

It'd be a pretty short novel by sci-fi/fantasy length, but by stricktest terms yeah it would be. I kinda didn't want to change the title, but you think it'd be best to change it and just try to sweep the old under the rug?

50K words is pretty light for a novel though. That's what, maybe 175 pages? It's a little long for a novella though. So ... let's go with novelita!

Challenge update: I just tweeted out the cover reveal for Knight Ardent, the 2nd Entry in the Knight's Journal:
C5mt1o2VUAA32fW.jpg:large

I've got about 2K words to write today to wrap up the ending. I'm also halfway through editing it, as I've been doing some of that the last few days when the writing slowed down a bit.

Already have a pretty good plan for the 3rd one ... and the following 9 after that. Also, for anyone who has read it, would love some feedback on the first one. I've ... got an idea. One of those Grinchy ideas. Won't come until later, maybe #4 or #5 but it's in my head now, the full scene and everything, and I don't think I'm going to veer away from it.

It'd be a pretty short novel by sci-fi/fantasy length, but by stricktest terms yeah it would be. I kinda didn't want to change the title, but you think it'd be best to change it and just try to sweep the old under the rug?
I think that would be best, yeah. I'd wait for some more opinions though before doing so, since I ain't exactly an authority on the matter.

I think that would be best, yeah. I'd wait for some more opinions though before doing so, since I ain't exactly an authority on the matter.

Thanks for the input, and yeah, there's no rush. I've also asked on reddit. Right now I'm looking for a Beta Reader/Readers, so it's not quite at the stage for submission anyway. guess I should start entertaining the idea of a title change though....

Soulfire

Challenge update: I've got about 2K words to write today to wrap up the ending. I'm also halfway through editing it, as I've been doing some of that the last few days when the writing slowed down a bit.

Way to go, you're doing great!

For my own update, I finished editing Novella 1 and I've got about 600 words on Novella 2. I'm planning on getting up to 2k today since that was my goal for the week. Since I haven't been able to keep up with the challenge time frame I've been thinking about publishing N1 once N2 is done and setting N2 up for pre-order, it's all going to depend on how quickly I finish writing N2. I only have a vague idea what I want N2 to be about and no idea yet for N3. I don't normally write this way so its been interesting.

My plan, right now, is once the three books are up I'll continue to publish more under that pen name if I make at least $100 within a certain period of time. Not sure how long I'll give them to reach that point thought.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Way to go guys, your progress is inspiring. That cover looks cool too.

I decided to move all my "datalogs" to an appendix for now. May or may not cut it depending on reader response.

Been editing my first novel on a consistent basis while also trying to write its sequel. I like the sequel so much more. I learned so much writing my first book, and I think it shows in my new one.

While I'm waiting for Beta-Readers to look over my first novel I think I'm going to be starting my second. It's a bit time sensitive since it's going to heavily address today's political climate and xenophobia. But I need to do research to get it right.

That said: is there anyone here or does anyone know individuals who are part of the American Muslim Community who would be willing to do a light interview via private messages/text based upon their experiences living in America? I'd really really like to get this aspect of the story right and authentic.

Calling draft two of Toyland done. It's something like 69k words now down from 74k.

Still a complete sodding mess, and most of it is in the writing yet, but I sent it to some beta readers so we'll see what happens. If it feels unfixable, i'll give it another pass for grammar and just post it for free, chapter by chapter.

It ain't anything that'll sell gangbusters anyways.

It sucks too, because I did have a fucking blast writing the first draft.

Just had a really writing session for the night. There is a big storm rolling into Illinois where I live, so I have the windows open...winds a blowin'. The thunder is a rollin'. Sets a great mood for writing.

Challenge update: I just tweeted out the cover reveal for Knight Ardent, the 2nd Entry in the Knight's Journal:
That's pretty awesome! My only comment is that the "The second entry..." part is a little hard on the eyes for me to read, but maybe I'm being crazy. Congrats on nearing the end though. That is damn impressive.

Calling draft two of Toyland done. It's something like 69k words now down from 74k.

Still a complete sodding mess, and most of it is in the writing yet, but I sent it to some beta readers so we'll see what happens. If it feels unfixable, i'll give it another pass for grammar and just post it for free, chapter by chapter.

It ain't anything that'll sell gangbusters anyways.

It sucks too, because I did have a fucking blast writing the first draft.
Hold out! It might feel like a mess, but you might be surprised to find your readers really love it. If you don't mind me asking, what is it about?

That's pretty awesome! My only comment is that the "The second entry..." part is a little hard on the eyes for me to read, but maybe I'm being crazy. Congrats on nearing the end though. That is damn impressive.

Thanks - yeah I struggled with darkening the background enough for the text to be visible. I could probably fiddle with it a bit more.

Just had a really writing session for the night. There is a big storm rolling into Illinois where I live, so I have the windows open...winds a blowin'. The thunder is a rollin'. Sets a great mood for writing.

Aw man, why can't I have weather like that? Been ages since it really stormed out here. Awesome that your writing session went so well!

Hold out! It might feel like a mess, but you might be surprised to find your readers really love it. If you don't mind me asking, what is it about?
Toy Story meets GTA.

A pawn hates being a pawn, so he gets high as fuck and steels a lighter from a military base. He then kills a bunch of chess pieces with it and goes on a drunken tirade through a toy store. Everyone is after him for the lighter since it's a real weapon that can actually kill people, unlike plastic missiles.

At some point it turns into a mess of nihilism and pro drug propaganda as everyone has to come to terms that they're toys and their existence means nothing.

Paradox96

Neo Member
Hi, Writing-GAF!

So, I finally made it to the point where the manuscript has been revised and polished. The website for the book is up as well. I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on the synopsis.

Title of the book is called: The Earthborn, Vol. I

Here is the synopsis:

"Samantha Vega is no stranger to the anarchistic life, but even she cannot outrun truth. Samantha, a super-star guitarist from the global sensation band, Primal Deviants, tries to commit suicide and end her fame, her fortune, her drug addiction, and the "Voice" in her head which keeps telling her what to do. At the last minute, her suicide is interrupted by the after effect of a bomb dropped at the outskirts of her hometown, Alamogordo, NM. Irritated to still be alive, Samantha dusts-off her black leather jacket, raises her sarcasm two or three notches, and walks out into the deserted streets of Alamogordo. What happened? Where did everyone go? Samantha doesn't care. She just wants to end her life. Her goal to kill herself is shaken-up when she encounters a helpless boy, trapped in a basement all alone. Samantha's motivation to die is now put into question by a young boy's chance to survive the beginning of the end of Earth's civilizations."

Does it entice you as the reader for more?

I'm slowly working towards the publishing date.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hi, Writing-GAF!

So, I finally made it to the point where the manuscript has been revised and polished. The website for the book is up as well. I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on the synopsis.

Title of the book is called: The Earthborn, Vol. I

Here is the synopsis:

"Samantha Vega is no stranger to the anarchistic life, but even she cannot outrun truth. Samantha, a super-star guitarist from the global sensation band, Primal Deviants, tries to commit suicide and end her fame, her fortune, her drug addiction, and the "Voice" in her head which keeps telling her what to do. At the last minute, her suicide is interrupted by the after effect of a bomb dropped at the outskirts of her hometown, Alamogordo, NM. Irritated to still be alive, Samantha dusts-off her black leather jacket, raises her sarcasm two or three notches, and walks out into the deserted streets of Alamogordo. What happened? Where did everyone go? Samantha doesn't care. She just wants to end her life. Her goal to kill herself is shaken-up when she encounters a helpless boy, trapped in a basement all alone. Samantha's motivation to die is now put into question by a young boy's chance to survive the beginning of the end of Earth's civilizations."

Does it entice you as the reader for more?

I'm slowly working towards the publishing date.
It certainly sounds like a unique premise! It sounds like it has the potential to be a wonderful life-positive message for suicidal people, too (although that's just my initial impression of its potential). Unique is good!

I might recommend making the text a little bigger and using an outline around the letters (black may work). Love the background, by the way.

Thanks! I actually really like it, and the green eyes are pretty important in what happens in the novella.

Unfortunately looks like no sales yet. :-(

I've put it up for a couple of free ads via awesomegang and prettyhot. Also, book 1 (Knight Descendent) is free from now until March 5th, and apparently that one is getting some traction because it's up to like #250 or so in "Coming of Age."

Also, I wrote 2K words yesterday on novella #3 (Knight Evident). Yes, you should be seeing a theme here.

Found about three Beta Readers for my book. Haven't heard from one of them, another is terrifyingly popular and won't be reading mine for a month and a half. The third only wanted a handful of chapters at first, feels that most stuff he Beta Reads tends to be shown off far too early. Loooots of notes, but decided what I'd written was gripping enough to want to continue reading? I feel like that's a pretty big compliment, shifting someone's opinion from their initial impression.

Also my first time getting feedback in years. Lost touch with a lot of my Film School classmates over the years, so it was interesting getting back into the groove of having my work heavily critiqued again.

Found about three Beta Readers for my book. Haven't heard from one of them, another is terrifyingly popular and won't be reading mine for a month and a half. The third only wanted a handful of chapters at first, feels that most stuff he Beta Reads tends to be shown off far too early. Loooots of notes, but decided what I'd written was gripping enough to want to continue reading? I feel like that's a pretty big compliment, shifting someone's opinion from their initial impression.

Also my first time getting feedback in years. Lost touch with a lot of my Film School classmates over the years, so it was interesting getting back into the groove of having my work heavily critiqued again.
What the hell? Are beta readers acting like agents now because that makes them feel better or something?

Granted I have a few select people, but if I got some popular "only give me two chapters and i'll consider" I'd find someone else.

What the hell? Are beta readers acting like agents now because that makes them feel better or something?

Granted I have a few select people, but if I got some popular "only give me two chapters and i'll consider" I'd find someone else.

I think it more has to do with my book being a 130k Scifi novel. In the groups I asked around in most people seemed to be offering up 40k-70k novels to Beta Read.

I was doing so well, but now I'm stuck again plot-wise. A character needs the help from another to save a member of his family, but I don't see how it would be believable if my character helps him out since he did terrible things to her and her friends before.
If I don't buy it, I know my readers won't either. I didn't think this through like I thought I did.

Paradox96

Neo Member
It certainly sounds like a unique premise! It sounds like it has the potential to be a wonderful life-positive message for suicidal people, too (although that's just my initial impression of its potential). Unique is good!

Thanks for the feedback! It means the world to me. Before it gets life-positive, it gets really dark!

Some possible motivations (A is your main character, B is the one who needs help, F is their family member):
-A knows F independently and is willing to work with B to help them despite not liking B.
-A cares about someone else who cares about F, and is willing to work with B to help them despite not liking B.
-Whatever the trouble is that F is in involves someone who A dislikes even more than she dislikes B, so she's willing to work with B.
-A needs B's help for something else despite not liking him, and is willing to work with him to save F in exchange for his help on whatever the other thing is.
-Somehow this becomes about proving that A is the better person, as she's willing to help save F even though she doesn't like B.
-Some kind of underlying ulterior motive. There's some way that this will help A against B, whether it's just him owing her, or something trickier and more subtle that will give her the upper hand later.

Thanks for this. I think this did point out some problems with my story though. Any of these would require me going back and adding in a little something because none of those things were even hinted in my story. Makes me feel like my story is too thin, but I have sporadically been working on this for three years.

Got a question on behalf of a friend.

He's doing this web comic about a talking snake and a talking rat being friends, and it started off alright but he's come to realize he hates the talking rat like hardcore. A big reason is that the rat doesn't emote very well in his art style, so the emotional range he wants just isn't there, but also the rat is kind of a douchebag and he's sick of him.

The plot is set up as if they'd be a long-term back and forth as a predator and prey kind of thing, but he wants the rat dead sooner rather than later.

Got any ideas on how this could be done while not seeming too plot forced? The snake IS the main character and the lens most people will be viewing the story. There are a lot of routes the thing could go since no big plot points are set in stone at all, but he wants to write the rat out somewhat naturally while still doing it quickly because he hates the character.

Got a question on behalf of a friend.

He's doing this web comic about a talking snake and a talking rat being friends, and it started off alright but he's come to realize he hates the talking rat like hardcore. A big reason is that the rat doesn't emote very well in his art style, so the emotional range he wants just isn't there, but also the rat is kind of a douchebag and he's sick of him.

The plot is set up as if they'd be a long-term back and forth as a predator and prey kind of thing, but he wants the rat dead sooner rather than later.

Got any ideas on how this could be done while not seeming too plot forced? The snake IS the main character and the lens most people will be viewing the story. There are a lot of routes the thing could go since no big plot points are set in stone at all, but he wants to write the rat out somewhat naturally while still doing it quickly because he hates the character.

Snake goes on a bender?

One thing he should ask himself, however, before offing a character that gets that much of an emotion, is whether it's a good idea. Has anyone else looked at it? I mean, a good character to hate is sort of delicious, you know? Your reader wants him dead as much as you do, but he just keeps surviving and pissing you off. You can drag that shit out a little while and get readers hooked.

So maybe he should be setting it up for later rather than sooner.

Now, if he has beta readers saying "oh the rat is sooooo cute!!!" then he might have a problem.

Snake goes on a bender?

One thing he should ask himself, however, before offing a character that gets that much of an emotion, is whether it's a good idea. Has anyone else looked at it? I mean, a good character to hate is sort of delicious, you know? Your reader wants him dead as much as you do, but he just keeps surviving and pissing you off. You can drag that shit out a little while and get readers hooked.

So maybe he should be setting it up for later rather than sooner.

Now, if he has beta readers saying "oh the rat is sooooo cute!!!" then he might have a problem.
Well, he posts a few strips a week, so he has a small readership already. They all think the rat is cute. :p

FlowersisBritish

So I stumbled upon a set of video's called The Story Grid(there's also a book) and it's a five-part video series about how to go through your novel like a professional editor. I found it surprisingly helpful for its thoroughness. Probably the most useful bit I got from it was his chart on how to break down individual scenes. Dropping this here in case anyone else wanted to take a look.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Progress continuing moderately on my novel. Hit 68k words, almost done with act 2 of 3. Very much in the weeds currently. Hope it comes out alright on the other side.

Soulfire

I'm realizing I should have done more planning with this series. I had the characters and the world and vague ideas for stories, but that has clearly not been enough. The first novella was mostly a cozy mystery. I hit the tropes and people should be fine with it. The second one is much more a paranormal fantasy and I still have no idea what to do with the third. Kind of glad this is going on a separate pen name and there isn't really any pressure. At least I'm enjoying (for the most part) writing these things. Hoping to hit 10k on the second one this week and then next week increase my weekly numbers by 1k and eventually get back up to 10k a week.

So I stumbled upon a set of video's called The Story Grid(there's also a book) and it's a five-part video series about how to go through your novel like a professional editor. I found it surprisingly helpful for its thoroughness. Probably the most useful bit I got from it was his chart on how to break down individual scenes. Dropping this here in case anyone else wanted to take a look.

Thanks this will help me when I eventually get around to finishing this current book as I'm still stuck on this situation. I'm also have a plan for a comic story I want to write. I think I came up with a really interesting idea for my villain, but can't figure out a way for her plan to cause enough trouble for a hero to get involved.

Top Bottom