• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Stardust Delta (Vita) |OT| How to Refine Perfection

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
slider_big_ssd_delta1.jpg

Twin-stick shooter for the Playstation Vita, available now on PSN, $9.99

Players: 1
Online Features: Leaderboards, DLC
Vita Extras: New touch-centric modes, all optional, as well as a new campaign and refined gameplay.
DLC Available: A "Blast Pack" with a ton of PS3 modes added as DLC to SSHD is available for $7.99, or bundled with the game for $14.99.

ssdvita1.jpg

The original Super Stardust HD was a classic on PS3, definitely one of the best downloadable titles on the system to date...and now comes the Vita version, which refines the gameplay all around to make it the best portable shooter ever created.

I will now explain why this is.

Multiplayer Elements
As soon as you start up the game, you're treated to a host of updates as to what your friends are doing (Friend 00 has topped you in the leaderboards - Friend 01 has entered the leaderboards - You are now the worst ranked player in your friends - etc.) It also shows leaderboards for each gameplay mode with up/down ranking arrows to see if your friends are climing higher, or sinking lower. All in all, a very nice improvement over the PS3 network features.

ssdvita2.jpg

Gorgeous Graphics & Controls
There is so much going on in the gameplay screen, that it would be fatal to the gameplay if (a) it didn't run at 60fps, and (b) if there was any slowdown/stuttering at all.

There is not a single moment of slowdown. Ever.

And the touch controls (which range from deploying weapons to small little extra minigames) can be relegated to buttons or ignored completely. Pure Mode allows you to enjoy the campaign of five planets w/5 levels each as you did the PS3 version, while Delta mode throws the extra touch controls in. There are separate leaderboards for each.

There was a PSP version that tried it's best, but mostly failed to deliver a great experience due to the controls. Now that we got some twin sticks on that Vita, the game handles like butter.

ssdvita5.jpg

Refined Gameplay
The original SSHD had you switching between three weapons- the Gold Melter, Ice and Rock Crusher- so that if a big glacier appeared on screen, you would switch to ice. But mostly you could get away with using Rock Crusher 80% of the time.

Well, the Rock Crusher is gone from this game. Now you have two weapons simply labeled Fire (which is the same whip-like action of the Gold Melter) and Ice. It takes much, much longer to upgrade them to 100%, and they're much weaker to the opposite elements than before. And the game works much, much better as a result, since it's so much easier to read the battlefield faster (if it's blue, shoot ice at it; if red, shoot some fire).

New enemies include pink-lighted ones that only respond to players boosting into it, and the addition of glow dust around the map with every element destroyed adds to the player's bonus extra when collected. Collect enough and a new powerup appears on the field, such as Super Points, Super X, 1ups and bombs, and more.

ssdvita4.jpg

Perfection.
This is reason enough to own a Vita, I kid you not. Go try the PS3 SSHD if you haven't already, add 20% more awesome, put it on a gorgeous screen and you got yourself one of the best shooters that has ever hit a portable, ever.

My eyes still burn from the amazing.

ssdvita3.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
When i get my Vita, this will be the first game i download, and probably the first game i play as well (except for Welcome Park).

Looking forward to this, only played the PSP version beforehand.
Is it just me or does anyone else constantly have to fight the urge to shoot things in reverse?
Ice should put out fire, fire should melt ice!

I am loving this game so much, but I am having a few problems. I constantly get a message saying network features have been disabled even though I am definitely online, has anyone else had the problem? I am also constantly setting off my blackholes by accident due to my fingers brushing the rear touch while I play.

I am loving this game so much, but I am having a few problems. I constantly get a message saying network features have been disabled even though I am definitely online, has anyone else had the problem? I am also constantly setting off my blackholes by accident due to my fingers brushing the rear touch while I play.

All those error message are supposed to be launch woes for all game - and should be fixed console-wide as the week goes on.

There are loads of options available to place the special powers on different buttons. Black Hole can be moved ot a face button or direction on d-pad in options.

I'm guessing that has something to do with the main system launch on the 22nd. I get it too.

Will buy as soon as I get my Vita. I like the idea of using only 2 weapons. Some details about the various gameplay modes available would be nice too.

If I wasn't boycotting Sony due to the geohot and psn hacking debacle, this game would be the main reason (along with the screen) I'd buy a Vita, for sure. Have to admit it's kind of tempting, but principles are principles!

Okay so I signed up for the $15 plan on the vita. (Was there a voucher for the free month or is that automatic, I didn't notice any)

Now do I wait 30 days and they'll email me a code? I really want to play this now

So I want this game, but generally suck a these types of shooters. Am I going to get owned in this? :p

The good thing about the Super Stardust series, is that it is less a twitch based shooter than something like Geometry Wars. The game will tell you were asteroids are going to land before then land (with a red dot), so you can move and position before they appear. Because of this, the game is more about planning, and taking out threats before they overwhelm you, rather than having quick reflexes. Quick reflexes will probably help for super high scores, although it is not necessary to have fun.

All I know is...a powered up fire whip is a thing to behold. Love the effect.

Hell, I love all the effects in this one. Such a rich visual experience.

So far, my favorite game on the system. Granted, I've only played this, Hot Shots and Little Deviants but it really shines. Looks beautiful, too. I advise anyone interested to just get the $15 bundle with the game and the expansion, the modes it includes are pretty fun and you're saving $3 over buying them seperately.

I think I just sat on my couch and played for 3 hours straight yesterday after work. Dat screen.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wait, there are bundles with this title? We just bought whatever was at the top of the downloads list (10$ version), are we missing out on much?

This game is amazing, but I feel mixed about some of the changes. I'm okay with the reduction to two weapon types, but I don't like the way pick-ups work now. It was fun strategy to have to wait it out on some pick-ups if you wanted them to turn into a specific type of weapon you were wanting to power up. Now that weapon power-ups drop from that specific type of asteroid, it sort of removes a layer of strategy.

Still, it's Stardust represented in its full glory on a gorgeous device. This and WipEout 2048 are the flagship PSV launch titles if you ask me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'd really love to play this!

If you buy the bundle via the Vita PSN Store, you get an error trying to install the game. Buying the standalone game doesn't cause this, apparently.

More Info Here

Sony is aware of the problem (which has also been affecting other Vita PSN download games for some people) but so far I haven't seen a fix.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not for us mere peasants.

You don't even know how good and featured this system is.

People are going to love it.

On the subject of this game, I am getting it free with the DLC but am waiting for my promo code from ATT for redeeming the 3g.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This game is amazing, but I feel mixed about some of the changes. I'm okay with the reduction to two weapon types, but I don't like the way pick-ups work now. It was fun strategy to have to wait it out on some pick-ups if you wanted them to turn into a specific type of weapon you were wanting to power up. Now that weapon power-ups drop from that specific type of asteroid, it sort of removes a layer of strategy.

Still, it's Stardust represented in its full glory on a gorgeous device. This and WipEout 2048 are the flagship PSV launch titles if you ask me.

Actually they do change into the opposite power up if you wait a bit.

Actually they do change into the opposite power up if you wait a bit.

Okay, so just the power-ups? Unless I'm going senile I thought in SSHD, it changes from points, to each different type of weapon.

That's cool though. I still only played one game and I thought I had waited long enough. Thanks for pointing it out.

What's everyone's opinion on Delta mode vs Pure mode? I'm not sure how I feel as yet but I think adding MORE stuff to Stardust is kind of crazy. Gameplay is hectic enough as it is.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Okay, so just the power-ups? Unless I'm going senile I thought in SSHD, it changes from points, to each different type of weapon.

That's cool though. I still only played one game and I thought I had waited long enough. Thanks for pointing it out.

What's everyone's opinion on Delta mode vs Pure mode? I'm not sure how I feel as yet but I think adding MORE stuff to Stardust is kind of crazy. Gameplay is hectic enough as it is.

Oh, actually I might be mistaken on that. I'll definitely see how that works next time.

test_account

XP-39C²

In SSHD the changing order is like this: Extra Life -> Shield -> Weapons -> Points.

Once you reach the changing to points, it wont go back to anything else. The points will just disapear if you want long enough, they dont change into anything else.

Do you guys play it with the <near> camera setting, or do you keep the default <medium>? I keep going back and forth and I don't know which way I like better.

This game is red hot, and so pretty. Really amazing. The music oooooooooooo.

The leaderboard updates will keep it interesting for sure. I remember wondering how in the hell some of my friends had such crazy scores on SSHD. The fact that I wont have to dig for that leaderboard info will keep me engaged.

I'd really love to play this!

If you buy the bundle via the Vita PSN Store, you get an error trying to install the game. Buying the standalone game doesn't cause this, apparently.

More Info Here

Sony is aware of the problem (which has also been affecting other Vita PSN download games for some people) but so far I haven't seen a fix.

Seeing that IGN article and the comments make me thankful that even the most radical fanboys on this forum aren't as far gone as the IGN ones are...

This game is super impressive. I am glad it was out at launch. The game also has such a small footprint, only being around ~200MB. That means even people with a 4GB or 8GB stick can enjoy it with no worries at all.

Returners

In SSHD the changing order is like this: Extra Life -> Shield -> Weapons -> Points.

Once you reach the changing to points, it wont go back to anything else. The points will just disapear if you want long enough, they dont change into anything else.

Points in this one turns into small green dots that you collect to up Multiplier.

Anyone playing this? My PSN is the same as my GAF id.

Goldrusher

How is the difficulty ?

The PS3 game is already pretty hard and I can imagine it's more difficult to avoid all the debris on a small screen.

Okay well I was definitely confused about the changes made to the item system, but it sounds like it's still deeper than I realized. I thought they removed the changing items entirely.

That's cool and hopefully once I spend more time with the game I'll see it more and understand it better. Either way, the game is totally rad!

Top Bottom