• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here have a GP2X Caanoo?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was wondering if anyone had one and liked it? The two downsides I saw was that it only had an analog stick (could be good though who knows) and I don't know how well it would run backup games.

Orayn

Actually, the thumbstick is digital, rather than analog. It works like the Neo-Geo CD controller, in that it's really a miniaturized version of an arcade joystick. You can smoothly move it anywhere its restrictor gate allows, and you get a definite click for each of the eight directions.
Can't tell you much else about the device, unfortunately. I just wanted to drop that factoid because I'm a controller junkie.

Gagaman

I have a GP2X and have been tempted to upgrade to a Canoo as the analog stick on this one is terrible, but I barely use it much anymore as it is. mainly used it for mega Drive/ CD games.

Sew

I don't have a Caanoo but I do have some of its friends - Dingoo, Pandora etc. My first open handheld was a GP2X F200. It was taken in a break-in last year and I'm still massively bummed when I think of it :(

I loved the large-ish form factor of the F200, and many old games looked better on that screen than any other handheld. So I think I'll end up getting a Caanoo. Proper battery, vastly improved design and construction, USB host port :D it's what the GP2X should have been.

Orayn said:
Actually, the thumbstick is digital, rather than analog. It works like the Neo-Geo CD controller, in that it's really a miniaturized version of an arcade joystick. You can smoothly move it anywhere its restrictor gate allows, and you get a definite click for each of the eight directions.
Can't tell you much else about the device, unfortunately. I just wanted to drop that factoid because I'm a controller junkie.
As soon as I opened the this thread and looked up the device I was turned off by the analog stick vs a D-pad. I actually thought "not worth it, maybe if that was a microswitch joystick" (having just bought the Neo Geo PS3 pad recently).

Nice to hear thats what it is. Pretty neat.

Orayn

MvmntInGrn said:
As soon as I opened the this thread and looked up the device I was turned off by the analog stick vs a D-pad. I actually thought "not worth it, maybe if that was a microswitch joystick" (having just bought the Neo Geo PS3 pad recently).

Nice to hear thats what it is. Pretty neat.
Yeah, it's a pretty novel design. Some people absolutely love it, and I can see why. Seems like it could serve as a pretty good substitute for either if you got used to it.

DonMigs85

Any other feedback on this device including SNES emu performance? I've been thinking about getting this. Most of my old SNES games run poorly on the PSP for me.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
have the Canoo after loving the GP2X but the support has been slow in coming. I've mainly used it for Mame support and it's pretty neat.

That said, the PSP serves me well enough for other emu (MAme is crappy on PSP, but FBA is pretty good (especially for shmups))

Gustav

Banned
I'm very close to actually buying one. Anyone here have some updates on how the emulators run nowadays? Very interested in NES, Master System, Genesis, Amiga, C64 and ScummVM.

It works well for NES, MAME (for supported games) and Genesis to a degree. I would not recommend it for SNES. I have yet to find a really good SNES emulation handheld.

The build quality and screen quality are really quite good.

There have not been many meaningful emulator updates since last summer. Development is not very active.

Gustav

Banned
It works well for NES, MAME (for supported games) and Genesis to a degree. I would not recommend it for SNES. I have yet to find a really good SNES emulation handheld.

The build quality and screen quality are really quite good.

There have not been many meaningful emulator updates since last summer. Development is not very active.

So overall, what would you say? Buy or no buy?

Korosenai

I have a dingoo a320. It's my favorite handheld. I personally haven't had a caanoo, but I like the dingoos size, the community behind it on dingoonity (with all of the custom firmwares and emulators), and the dingoo is just so easy to get used to and can play all of the systems that I wanted it to play. Plus it's cheaper.

Deft Beck

Sorry for the necro, but I'm trying to find a Caanoo so I can play Rhythmos (A DJMAX like rhythm game only on Caanoo).

Anyone know where I could find one? eBay has a couple of listings but they're grossly overpriced.

Top Bottom