• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon HD 7900 Launch set for December 22nd, 2011 - R1000 | Tahiti | GCN

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I have this feeling that AMD/ATI are about to pull another 9700 Pro on this one.
I think the 5850 is already there. It launched for $250 over two years ago and when people see it on minimum system requirements they complain they're too high. That thing will be viable all the way through 2012 and probably 2013 as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the 5850 is already there. It launched for $250 over two years ago and when people see it on minimum system requirements they complain they're too high. That thing will be viable all the way through 2012 and probably 2013 as well.

I hoped so, but I think with all the noise mine is making I'll end up replacing it sooner than planned.

Hopefully when I actually get around to verifying that it IS my GPU fan I'll discover I'm wrong, and my 5850 can last me at least to 2013.

My OC'd single GTX 570 handles BF3 @ 1080p, Ultra everything, 4x MSAA at 60+ FPS, lowest I've seen it go during multiplayer is 48~.

1080P but honestly what worries me about 580 going forward is the only 1.5GB VRAM. Same issue with the new 560 TI, a $300 card with only 1280MB RAM? BF3 already uses 1.4GB VRAM at highest setting according to creators so you're just barely scraping by already @1080P. That's with your $1000+ worth of hardware so it's doubly onerous to even be a question.

AMD is in a much better position there. 2GB AMD cards are plentiful, Nvidia is stuck in this weird in between land of odd RAM sizes. They could rectify that by making a push for 2.5GB 570's and 3GB 580's, but they havent, those arent available at decent prices.

1080P but honestly what worries me about 580 going forward is the only 1.5GB VRAM. Same issue with the new 560 TI, a $300 card with only 1280MB RAM? BF3 already uses 1.4GB VRAM at highest setting according to creators so you're just barely scraping by already @1080P. That's with your $1000+ worth of hardware so it's doubly onerous to even be a question.

AMD is in a much better position there. 2GB AMD cards are plentiful, Nvidia is stuck in this weird in between land of odd RAM sizes. They could rectify that by making a push for 2.5GB 570's and 3GB 580's, but they havent, those arent available at decent prices.

Contrary to popular belief, BF3 isn't really using up as much VRAM as they think. It seems that DICE uses the extra VRAM for 'caching' purposes, which is very smart and efficient. But I run Ultra textures + 4x MSAA @ 1080p and MSI Afterburner says it's using the same amount of VRAM as it does without 4x MSAA. So I'm guessing it dynamically allocates it? Not running into RAM swapping issues due to overusage, either.

[Nintex]

I just realized I bought this PC when the HD5850 came out, i7+5850 combo runs pretty much everything I throw at it still, at max.

pestul

[Nintex];33465580 said:
I just realized I bought this PC when the HD5850 came out, i7+5850 combo runs pretty much everything I throw at it still, at max.

I'm with you man. I put my pc together when Windows 7 was released with a i7 and 5850. With the i7 @4GHz and the 5850 overclocked to run faster than a stock 6950, I don't think I'll need to upgrade for a wee bit yet.

tokkun

I think the 5850 is already there. It launched for $250 over two years ago and when people see it on minimum system requirements they complain they're too high.

That seems like a pretty fair complaint, though. If I buy a $200 card and 2 years later it can't even make the minimum system requirements, that's a problem.

mkenyon

Banned
VR Zone has a supposed leaked product spec slide.

A slide purportedly detailing Radeon HD 7970 has leaked online. The slide resembles AMD's standard presentation design, and is seemingly part of the press deck held. As previously rumoured, the HD 7970 features the GCN architecture.

The HD 7970 features 32 CU containing 2048 ALUs, clocked at 925 MHz. This amounts to 3.5 TFLOPS (Single Precision). TMUs are upped to 128, as expected. However, ROPs remain at 32 compared to Cayman, which is odd considering the memory bus, as we have observed, is 384-bit. Memory speed remains unchanged at 5.5 GHz, meaning a 50% boost in memory bandwidth. The TDP is rated under 300W, while the idle power is incredibly only 3W. This means a 8-pin + 6-pin power connector configuration. HD 7970 features 4 display outs - 1x DVI, 2xmini-DisplayPort and 1x HDMI. Finally, the slide mentions the embargo release date - 9th January 2012. Needless to say, faked slides are nothing new for the rumour mill, so the information contained within this slide must be considered with caution. However, most of the details contained are realistic, and the image of the shroud looks identical to the leaked pictures.

Their slide is supposedly old. 7970 will have <900mhz GPU clock.

Interestingly enough, 7970/7950 should hit 1 Ghz, even 1.1 Ghz with little to no effort and maybe a minor voltage bump.

I fully expect some of the more hardcore guys (hi XtremeSystems!) to hit 1.2-1.3 Ghz core clocks, maybe on air, probably on water. The 6950/6970 already OC really well, the jump to 28nm is going to allow (voltage willing) some incredible OC's on stock cooling.

I just kinda wish the RAM speeds were higher, but that huge 384-bit memory bus will allow for more bandwidth than we've ever had before. I just hope it's enough, as even current cards can be memory bandwidth starved in most games. I know my GTX 570 is. Oddly enough, in some games raising memory speeds does more for performance than raising core clocks does! There's a common misconception that 'raising memory clocks does nothing for performance.'

x3sphere

fuck this shit to the stratosphere, my 6990 is like, two months old

you sound surprised, and I don't know why. the 6990 has been out for like 10+ months, it's your fault buying this late into the cycle. It's been widely reported that new cards were coming around Dec - Jan.

I always buy new GPUs around launch and I don't feel burned when the next thing rolls around.

you sound surprised, and I don't know why. the 6990 has been out for like 10+ months, it's your fault buying this late into the cycle. It's been widely reported that new cards were coming around Dec - Jan.

I always buy new GPUs around launch and I don't feel burned when the next thing rolls around.

..I'm not surprised, I'm mostly cynically kidding. I know I'll buy one of them but seriously, even one year between cards is a pretty short timespan if you ask me

Scotch

..I'm not surprised, I'm mostly cynically kidding. I know I'll buy one of them but seriously, even one year between cards is a pretty short timespan if you ask me
It's pretty much average. And it's not like your 6990 won't play every game in high-to-ultra settings for the next few years.

x3sphere

Ah, ok. I guess it is a short time span, personally I'm glad though because I can never have enough GPU power at 2560x1600. Always feels like I need more :(

Still waiting for the day when I can max Crysis 60FPS on a single GPU.

I get the feeling that minimum reqs are a lot more conservative these days than in years past..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ah, ok. I guess it is a short time span, personally I'm glad though because I can never have enough GPU power at 2560x1600. Always feels like I need more :(

Still waiting for the day when I can max Crysis 60FPS on a single GPU.

I don't even think Crysis is that awesome looking now.

pottuvoi

Banned
The GTX580 launched more than a year ago. Are they really going to have >2 years between generations?
It's closer to 3 years between 'proper' generations, they pretty much use the tick-tock method intel uses.
Fermi was a new architecture, Keppler is speed bump and Maxwell will be the next generation in 2013.

tokkun

It was a $399 card, which almost 10 years ago was today's $699.

You're right about the initial launch price (although the street price was $300 after less than 6 months), but you are way off on your inflation calculation. $400 in 2002 is about $500 today and $300 is around $375.

If I can get a 7970 for $375 by June, I'll be impressed.

derFeef

AMD starts shipping of 28nm GPU's in big masses.

AMD CEO Rory Read, speaking at the IT Supply Chain conference organized by Raymond James this Tuesday, said that his company had begun shipping 28 nm GPUs for revenue (meaning, in volumes big enough to fetch revenue).
At the upcoming CES event, AMD will formally unveil a range of products that will use its 28 nm GPUs. CES will give AMD a good opportunity to bag design wins with large volume manufacturers of notebooks and PCs. What this means for the enthusiast community is that whenever AMD does launch its Radeon HD 7900 series, it won't be a "paper-launch".

http://www.techpowerup.com/156831/AMD-Starts-Shipping-28-nm-GPUs-for-Revenue.html

http://www.obr-hardware.com/2011/12/radeon-hd-7970-full-spec.html

7970.png

Guy claims he has 7970 gaming performance numbers and they're disappointing. "Only a few percent faster than 6970 in real games not synthetic benchmarks"

ATTENTION: It seems this slide is legit but little bit old, GPU clocks and Load TDP are on real cards lower! GPU clocks are probably under 900 MHz and Load TDP +/- 200W.

Gaming performance is far behind expectations,

He seems an real AMD hater though so I wouldn't take it too serious. The good thing is the leaks flying around even if conflicting prove the card really is near.

2048 ALU's would seem to give a good performance target imo, that's 33% more than 6970, so that might be a reasonable performance ballpark imo. Of course we have no idea what other architecture improvements are present, and even if these specs are correct although they seem to have validity.

Chris R

Isn't the 6970's TDP load already around 200W? I thought the move to 28nm along with other things would bring the TDP down (keeping similar performance levels).

With Bulldozer, never underestimate how bad AMD's engineering can be, lol.

But seriously imo it's too early to speculate.

IMO it wouldn't even be that bad, if rumors of Nnvidia's next chip being a ways away are true, something like 33% better than 6970 wouldn't be such a bad thing, provided the card had say 6 months on the shelves without competition, it would still be pretty successful and faster than GTX580 and the undisputed king.

Isn't the 6970's TDP load already around 200W? I thought the move to 28nm along with other things would bring the TDP down (keeping similar performance levels).

I would not ever count on TDP coming down lol.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "similar performance levels". I'm sure this will edge 6970 by some significant amount.

The idle power draw, under 3w, is whats really causing suspicion about that slide, but there's another

slajd1.jpg

Man time really does fly. I thought my 5850 was only a year old but sure enough after checking the receipt, I've been running this thing for 2 years now with very little signs of slowing down performance wise. I think I'll wait until 8-series comes out at this point.

More slides hot of the presses. Seem real.

amdradeonhd7970_pb_8_vjrxu.jpg

amdradeonhd7970_pb_1_8qogt.jpg

amdradeonhd7970_pb_2_slpnh.jpg

amdradeonhd7970_pb_7_oorme.jpg

amdradeonhd7970_pb_3_eaptk.jpg

amdradeonhd7970_pb_5_kop8z.jpg

OKvKP.jpg

The performance looks pretty good to me. Almost 2X better in Crysis 2?

Edit: although now that I think about it that's probably with tessellation enabled, where AMD was previously crippled by Nvidia dirty tessellation tricks in that game. So indeed non tessellation related performance could still be disappointing.

artist

Banned
You're right about the initial launch price (although the street price was $300 after less than 6 months), but you are way off on your inflation calculation. $400 in 2002 is about $500 today and $300 is around $375.

If I can get a 7970 for $375 by June, I'll be impressed.
Ugh.

1. MSRP of the 9700 Pro was $399 and not $300.
2. $399 was the top-tier price almost 10 years ago, now the same is $699. No where did I say it was due to inflation :p
3. The original poster who you were responding to, used the 9700Pro in reference that its like a 80-150% jump in performance over the previous generation. I dont think he was talking about price or even price/performance. :p

All slides here, a shitton of them. Total info blowout lulz.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=slides0vka9.png

Also exciting news, 7970 launch moved up to Dec 22!!!! Nice, just one week away! Since when was a video card launch ever moved UP lol.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-bri...-series-forward-december-22nd-2011/14255.html

Is there some sort of trick to navigating abload? Everytime I go to the site I am bombarded with pop-ups and all sorts of flashy things.

Chris R

I would not ever count on TDP coming down lol.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "similar performance levels". I'm sure this will edge 6970 by some significant amount.

I was just going off of the quote where someone said the gaming performance of the 7970 wasn't that much better than the 6970, and that the load TDP was +/- 200W.

But again, this is just going off that single post, I can't wait to see all of the reviews when they come out.

Midou

The sooner it's out, the sooner the price can drop and I can get one myself.

My current build (4gb DDR2, AMD 5870 1GB, AMD 955 3.2 ghz) does latest games pretty well, but I do plan to do a big upgrade next fall.

Probably a 7980/7990, 8 gb DDR3 (too bad DDR4 pushed to 2014), and either an 8 core AMD if they can get their shit together on bulldozer, or some ivy bridge, I'll decide at the time for that.

Edit: Though I guess 7980/7990 aren't announced yet, so might still be pretty expensive by then.

Top Bottom