• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cam video of WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008 on Wii. Crotch-chop controller action!

It all depends on how they use the Wii-mote for the game. It could end up super horrible or alright. Not every game can be super enhanced by Wii-mote functionality. I think this one is perfect for the classic controller, just like Smash brothers. What worries me the most is that th e game is designed from the ground up with the Wii-mote in mind.

I do like the fact that THQ is porting Smackdown to every system instead of making a different game for each. Money-wise, it was stupid.

BuddyC

DMczaf said:
CROTCH CHOPS!
IMG_0132.jpg

If all the gestures are context sensitive, then they're going to be testing this game forever. It's quite an ambitious use of motion controls though, but they might have to cut out a lot of moves or make variations use the same gestures. The taunts are a really good direction though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
CrushDance said:
Developers really need to try and find ways to get "real life" right in games.

How could they make a "real life" simulation of something fake?

Anyhow, that could quite possibly be fun. He said it was an early build, so, i'm guessing that they will have toned down the delay some.

HOLY CRAPPLECAKES.

DAY ONE PURCHASE CONFIRMED.

MOTION-BASED CROTCH-CHOPPING.

SURELY THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT NINTENDO HAD IN MIND WHEN THEY CONCEIVED THE WII.

I NEED SOME KERMITCRAZY.GIF, STAT.

Taker666

Loved the chokeslam and turnbuckle punch.

I just wish someone (ie Nintendo) would hurry up and release a wireless nunchuk so the cable isn't flying around everywhere.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That looks RIDICULOUS. They are flailing around...and apparently that's part of the mechanic? Flail to reverse moves?

Honestly, the only thing worse than that is the "fly motion" from Sonic and the Secret Rings when you are in a pot and have to do the chicken dance to fly.

basik

looks fun. after playing the godfather wii and trying all the grabs + attacks you can do in that game this could be really fun. it could be much better than playing on normal controls.

farnham

Banned
where is Day of Reckoning 3... WhERE IS IT.. i dont want a shitty Smackdown system.. I want the no mercy esque DoR series.. cmon yukes!

deepred

farnham said:
where is Day of Reckoning 3... WhERE IS IT.. i dont want a shitty Smackdown system.. I want the no mercy esque DoR series.. cmon yukes!

I also wanted a DoR3 (especially for graphics and intuitive controls - too many buttons used in SD games) but I admit that the new grapple system from SvR 2007 (using the right analog stick) really fits wiimote controls.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Yeah i wouldnt be fooled by those taunts. You can clearly see the tauny animation begin before a gesture is even executed so i wouldnt be suprised if its just the guy playing along.

This game reminds me of wii sports boxing with its unresponsive controls. Did you see when Cena had triple H against the turnbuckle and he climbed up to the 2nd rope to repeatedly punch him? The player couldnt even pull of one punch try as me might, which looked very embarrassing.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
This game reminds me of wii sports boxing with its unresponsive controls. Did you see when Cena had triple H against the turnbuckle and he climbed up to the 2nd rope to repeatedly punch him? The player couldnt even pull of one punch try as me might, which looked very embarrassing.

This man speaks the truth. No one buy this game when it hits store shelves tomorrow morning.

Lobster

Banned
The Black Brad Pitt said:
This game reminds me of wii sports boxing with its unresponsive controls.

Wii sports boxing has VERY responsive controls. Thats why it seems that its unresponsive. It doesn't wait till you finish the motion it comes with you.

This game..Well the graphics look Ps2 level and thats good for the short time its been in development..The controls..well..the controls..I don't like how long the pause is between the motion and in-game.

LakeEarth

I think it'd be smarter if the motion moving was just the grapple moves. Doing every single thing using waggle would get complicated, but grappling, then doing the suplex motion, or like the video shows a chokeslam, that part would be fun.

LakeEarth said:
I think it'd be smarter if the motion moving was just the grapple moves. Doing every single thing using waggle would get complicated, but grappling, then doing the suplex motion, or like the video shows a chokeslam, that part would be fun.

Yeah, I really don't wanna be using the Wiimote for every punch. Maybe for a backchop or something.

Avrum

Very bummed that there won't be a Day of Reckoning 3, but I will certainly admit that the video there is showing some nice use of the controls. Looking very promising to be more than just a quick port with waggle tacked on. It would be nice if the game had the kind of feeling during play that I get when I play Godfather.

Penguin

What THQ can tell us about the Wii game is that it will be a strictly arcade wrestling experience, with the gameplay purposefully sped up to increase the action and big moves, while decreasing the more simulation aspects of other versions of the game. Case in point: characters in the Wii version of the game will not have stamina meters so, as with some other Wii games, it's going to be all-offense all the time.

This is from GameSpot's preview and this does not sound good at all.
Sounds like its going back to the original SmackDown model.

TheFallen

I can't imagine them doing motion controls for almost a thousand moves. Do they expect to trim the roster or move sets?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
TheFallen said:
I can't imagine them doing motion controls for almost a thousand moves. Do they expect to trim the roster or move sets?

cc support

Lobster

Banned
TheFallen said:

There has never been a thousand moves in a wrestling game.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
For a control system such as this, (along with the rest of the Wii specific parts of the game) 3 months isn't a lot of dev time, and still that looks passable, expect it to get much better as release date approaches.

I hope the crotch chops were real (And theres no reason why they can't be implemented), because that would be funny as hell in an offline MP setting.

Taurus

BrodiemanTTR said:
HOLY CRAPPLECAKES.

DAY ONE PURCHASE CONFIRMED.

MOTION-BASED CROTCH-CHOPPING.

SURELY THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT NINTENDO HAD IN MIND WHEN THEY CONCEIVED THE WII.

I NEED SOME KERMITCRAZY.GIF, STAT.
Sorry, I had some other business going on.

c319f15e1e9a78f4b4dc098ps2.gif

Top Bottom