• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#SaveShenmue - The Shenmue 3 campaign

Shenmue 1 sold over a million copies on the dreamcast of all things.

Shenmue 2 got released on the dreamcast after it was discontinued. It was later ported to the xbox at the start of its life cycle in north america. At this point, everyone was all over the PS2.

Shenmue is more popular than Yakuza overseas.

Given that Shenmue can sell over a million copies on a dead console like the dreamcast, when it was active, I think it has a pretty strong chance in today's world. As long as its on the PS4. Shenmue 2 should have been on the PS2 originally instead of xbox.

The game would receive a huge amount of free marketing from the announcement alone.

Spaghetti

there's most definitely money to be made on shenmue 1+2 hd collections, but the problem is even getting to a stage of releasing a port right now

the notion that engine middleware belonging to defunct companies, while unsubstantiated, is definitely a realistic reason why we've yet to see shenmue rereleased

must be a real serious pain to figure out, especially since sega managed to undo the legal knot that is the jet set radio soundtrack

there's most definitely money to be made on shenmue 1+2 hd collections, but the problem is even getting to a stage of releasing a port right now

the notion that engine middleware belonging to defunct companies, while unsubstantiated, is definitely a realistic reason why we've yet to see shenmue rereleased

must be a real serious pain to figure out, especially since sega managed to undo the legal knot that is the jet set radio soundtrack

The game isn't that large or complex by modern AAA standards. They've got the audio track still. Would it be terribly expensive to rebuild it from scratch using a more contemporary engine?

Spaghetti

The game isn't that large or complex by modern AAA standards. They've got the audio track still. Would it be terribly expensive to rebuild it from scratch using a more contemporary engine?
it's about risk, sega's current business strategy is entirely about low risk

a quick and easy port is low risk

rebuilding a game from scratch increases the risk and financial exposure

like it or not, sega's caution has entirely turned around its finances over the last few years when it stood on the brink of maybe being sold off or dissolved entirely

so in context, yes, it'd probably be too expensive an effort to consider

it's about risk, sega's current business strategy is entirely about low risk

a quick and easy port is low risk

rebuilding a game from scratch increases the risk and financial exposure

like it or not, sega's caution has entirely turned around its finances over the last few years when it stood on the brink of maybe being sold off or dissolved entirely

so in context, yes, it'd probably be too expensive an effort to consider

What's the best way to go about it though, if it were to be remade? If they want to do it right, would it make more sense to remake the game using a new engine, or try and adapt the old code?

Or is this a creative decision?

Jeez, just make it a fucking comic book or something, if you can't fund a third game, or even an anime. I just want to see the story get finished. This has been cruel for so many years it's not even funny, given the way Shenmue II ended.

Spaghetti

What's the best way to go about it though, if it were to be remade? If they want to do it right, would it make more sense to remake the game using a new engine, or try and adapt the old code?

Or is this a creative decision?
well allegedly the old code is off limits because of the middleware legal issues

so if they were to release shenmue they would have to rebuild it, which they won't do

maybe if someone bankrolled s1-3 as a huge game, but sega won't do it themselves unless they start getting bold with their products again

Jeez, just make it a fucking comic book or something, if you can't fund a third game, or even an anime. I just want to see the story get finished. This has been cruel for so many years it's not even funny, given the way Shenmue II ended.

I like to see Shenmue 3 as a game. But i must admit, a comic book or anime should have been done for this series years ago.

No chance of Shenmue 3 without at least the first two remakes first as the series just doesn't hold such strong brand value as others like Fallout did before Fallout 3 was released.

The name 'Shenmue' itself is hardly inspiring and the game in general would need to be rebranded for it to be released.

Best we can hope for is 1:1 ports of the first two - even HD remakes in widescreen would not be seen as cost effective and represent a higher risk to Sega.

The dream is pretty much over and the window of opportunity has now passed. If Sony got even the first two rereleased on PSN they would gain a lot of gamer kudos, so who knows, they may go for it!

Spaghetti

No chance of Shenmue 3 without at least the first two remakes first as the series just doesn't hold such strong brand value as others like Fallout did before Fallout 3 was released.

The name 'Shenmue' itself is hardly inspiring and the game in general would need to be rebranded for it to be released.

Best we can hope for is 1:1 ports of the first two - even HD remakes in widescreen would not be seen as cost effective and represent a higher risk to Sega.

The dream is pretty much over and the window of opportunity has now passed. If Sony got even the first two rereleased on PSN they would gain a lot of gamer kudos, so who knows, they may go for it!
disagree entirely with the bolded

fallout pre-3 held a similar sort of gamer reverence, in fact the clamouring for a third game often resembled that of the shenmue fanbase. there's no real barometer to judge which is more popular, but they're both franchises beloved by dedicated gamers with large and vocal fanbases.

rebranding isn't really necessary. shenmue has sort of embedded itself for better or worse in gamer pop culture (the voice acting, sailor jokes, etc). it's been heard of by people who haven't necessarily played the games. if a third game was to happen they'd become potential consumers based on vague brand recognition alone.

sega wouldn't release a port of that quality after showing they can do it properly with the sega heritage collection (nights, sa2, jsr). if i remember right they're done by sega shanghai so they can be done fairly cheaply without compromising on quality.

it's the start of a new generation. all cards are on the table. the window is wide open for any ports.

Mahonay

Banned
let it go people

ibv3Ua0Pli3LJA.gif

I'm just as skeptical as everyone else that a Shenmue III will ever happen, but not gonna lie, all of this persistent Shenmue talk over the past year (with even Cerny chiming in) makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

This.

I still can't believe we didn't get an HD Shenmue I and II though. Not even a digital release? Really Sega? WTF is this, Suikoden II?

DeVeAn

This game reminds of when I thought being a developer could have been awesome. So much heart and passion came through the game to me while playing it. Been a very long time since I felt that with a game...

It would cost a lot to make and not enough people would buy it.

The ONLY way for them to make a Shenmue game is to remake the first one so the franchise would capture new people (such as myself). If it had the budget of a Quantic Dream game I think it could easily make a profit and then make sequels.

Coxy

NiGHTS is smaller and Demon Tribe is an iOS game.

And that "certainly" is a hyperbolic word. Both games are far easier to sell than what Shenmue is.

They spent hundreds of thousands marketing Demon Tribe, getting a partnership with Kiss and modelling them ingame and the game already shut down after 3 month. For such an "easy sell" it didnt sell to anyone at all.

I agree, there has to be a re release of the first 2 for newcomers.

They could just do hd remasters, and then change the control scheme to a more modern layout.

They spent hundreds of thousands marketing Demon Tribe, getting a partnership with Kiss and modelling them ingame and the game already shut down after 3 month. For such an "easy sell" it didnt sell to anyone at all.

Compared to the thousands spent putting a game up on the digital networks plus minimal adverts, not including the changes they'd need to implement? Porting games isn't simple.

On that note, the money is in different sectors - so it probably safer for them to utilize the money from the mobile area than it would be to use the money in the gaming sector for fans who number less than a thousand people.

Maligna

Banned
I agree, there has to be a re release of the first 2 for newcomers.

They could just do hd remasters, and then change the control scheme to a more modern layout.

As long as we get HD remasters, I'll be happy. For now. I"m sure the sales would justify a third game at that point. I'd buy it at least 4 times.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Shenmue III would make me buy any console, no matter which. I would pay 150 for a proper sequel (or finale). Shenmue II is the greatest game ever made, in my opinion. I own 3 copies. My PAL DC copy is one game I will never sell, no matter what.

Hell, my 70-year old parents even loved the soundtrack, which they would listen to all the time in the car and at home.

Makes me downright misty-eyed thinking about what an opportunity millions of gamers missed out on. If only...

Is there anyway to create a community thread dedicated to Shenmue?

I think it would be awesome for us old, and new school fans to discuss this masterpiece as new pieces of information become available.

Maligna

Banned
Is there anyway to create a community thread dedicated to Shenmue?

I think it would be awesome for us old, and new school fans to discuss this masterpiece as new pieces of information become available.

I'd make one if I could. How long does it take to become a full fledged member here?

Given that Shenmue can sell over a million copies on a dead console like the dreamcast, when it was active, I think it has a pretty strong chance in today's world. As long as its on the PS4. Shenmue 2 should have been on the PS2 originally instead of xbox.

The game would receive a huge amount of free marketing from the announcement alone.

Being on a "dead" system or not is secondary at best to the simple fact that Shenmue's followers are very vocal. So vocal that they sometimes forget they are a much smaller group than they think they are. They will hype the game up as the second coming of gaming Jesus, and if the sequel stays true to the first two games it will likely bomb.

Then again, they may attempt to modernize it and make it something greater, and in the course completely alienate the original fans.

What I'm getting at is that no matter the outcome, it will never be enough for Shenmue-rs or any company folly enough to try and tackle it. The audience is too small, the pedestal too high.

LEGENDS NEVER DIE

oops, wrong campaign.

Servbot #4508 here... we tried... we failed... but I'll never forget.

disagree entirely with the bolded

fallout pre-3 held a similar sort of gamer reverence, in fact the clamouring for a third game often resembled that of the shenmue fanbase. there's no real barometer to judge which is more popular, but they're both franchises beloved by dedicated gamers with large and vocal fanbases.

rebranding isn't really necessary. shenmue has sort of embedded itself for better or worse in gamer pop culture (the voice acting, sailor jokes, etc). it's been heard of by people who haven't necessarily played the games. if a third game was to happen they'd become potential consumers based on vague brand recognition alone.

sega wouldn't release a port of that quality after showing they can do it properly with the sega heritage collection (nights, sa2, jsr). if i remember right they're done by sega shanghai so they can be done fairly cheaply without compromising on quality.

it's the start of a new generation. all cards are on the table. the window is wide open for any ports.

Shenmue really hasn't been heard by non-gamers and Fallout is a completely different story because of its post-apocalyptic setting.

Look, as a gamer I would love this and would even pay £100 for proper HD ports of the originals, but from a business perspective there's less than 1% chance of this happening. The industry is becoming more risk averse by the day and requires one company to take a big risk, because even with a HD port they will likely lose money - don't forget the various branding in the game will have to be removed and a widescreen port is not so straight forward!

As for Shenmue 3 - absolutely no chance unless the originals are rereleased and are successful. We can't even get Yakuza 5 translated!

Had Shenmue been a western franchise we would have had a better chance of a remake and/or a sequel.

MilkBeard

well it certainly would have made more than NiGHTS and Demon Tribe

NiGHTS was one of the most common Saturn games, and is considered a cult classic by some. It doesn't get much easier and safer than porting NiGHTS, especially since they used the PS2 version.

NiGHTS was one of the most common Saturn games, and is considered a cult classic by some. It doesn't get much easier and safter than porting NiGHTS, especially since they used the PS2 version.

Exactly, porting Nights was not a major risk to Sega at all.

Shenmue 1 and 2, on the other hand would cost a lot to remake in HD/ Widescreen.

Well, im only a junior member so my rights are restricted. Are any full members willing to make a community thread?

Would be nice to rally up all the Shenmue fans on GAF

Castef

Banned
cause they're two vastly different series, for one

Oh, I can easily see 90% of people interested in Shen Mue have similar tastes for Yakuza, so much for the "vastly different series".

If "the masses" are just ignoring Yakuza I can't imagine them running in shops buying Shen Mue.

Ummm...so for this post-mortem in a few weeks, do we have a group of fans (maybe from Shenmue Dojo) that will be going to the event? We badly need a group of people to ask about Shenmue III or make some sort of an impression whether it be from posters or some sort of protest. I don’t know, I just feel like this is it. If nothing comes from this post-mortem I can’t see anything happening for a while when it comes to Shenmue. This is the best opportunity in ages and I don’t want it to go to waste. We have to go all in here. The fans presence needs to come through in some way. Anyway!

Ummm...so for this post-mortem in a few weeks, do we have a group of fans (maybe from Shenmue Dojo) that will be going to the event? We badly need a group of people to ask about Shenmue III or make some sort of an impression whether it be from posters or some sort of protest. I don’t know, I just feel like this is it. If nothing comes from this post-mortem I can’t see anything happening for a while when it comes to Shenmue. This is the best opportunity in ages and I don’t want it to go to waste. We have to go all in here. The fans presence needs to come through in some way. Anyway!

Totally agree.

Totally agree.

So has anything been planned?

If by the end of it they don't give us anything (Shenmue I and II HD or a hint of Shenmue III) I really think something should happen. Even simple posters saying ‘Please announce Shenmue III’ would be a start, and if they don't give us what we want I wouldn’t be opposed to people from the crowd booing Suzuki and Cerny. I mean enough is enough, I’m so sick of this “no comment" bullshit. At this point the fans deserve something or at the very least they need to tell us that it’s dead forever with zero chance of it ever coming back. You don’t hold this type of an event and not give the fans what they want. It would just be a slap in the face.

Top Bottom