• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#SaveShenmue - The Shenmue 3 campaign

IrishNinja

Oh, I can easily see 90% of people interested in Shen Mue have similar tastes for Yakuza, so much for the "vastly different series".

If "the masses" are just ignoring Yakuza I can't imagine them running in shops buying Shen Mue.

i'm sure youv'e done extensive market research on that figure, but the sales between the series have been quite different, if you actually look them up.

also: they're vastly different series. people can - and here on GAF, constantly say as much - be big fans of one and not the other. I'm not even sure if you've played them both, to be honest.

Ummm...so for this post-mortem in a few weeks, do we have a group of fans (maybe from Shenmue Dojo) that will be going to the event? We badly need a group of people to ask about Shenmue III or make some sort of an impression whether it be from posters or some sort of protest. I don’t know, I just feel like this is it. If nothing comes from this post-mortem I can’t see anything happening for a while when it comes to Shenmue. This is the best opportunity in ages and I don’t want it to go to waste. We have to go all in here. The fans presence needs to come through in some way. Anyway!

you know the good folks at Shenmue Dojo got your back!

So has anything been planned?

If by the end of it they don't give us anything (Shenmue I and II HD or a hint of Shenmue III) I really think something should happen. Even simple posters saying ‘Please announce Shenmue III’ would be a start, and if they don't give us what we want I wouldn’t be opposed to people from the crowd booing Suzuki and Cerny. I mean enough is enough, I’m so sick of this “no comment" bullshit. At this point the fans deserve something or at the very least they need to tell us that it’s dead forever with zero chance of it ever coming back. You don’t hold this type of an event and not give the fans what they want. It would just be a slap in the face.

If nothing is announced by GDC, then i would say possibly E3? Then again, that would be on an assumption that Sony got the rights to Shenmue 3. If only Shenmue HD is planned, then GDC seems like an appropriate place to announce it.

IrishNinja

I think I'm gonna put in some work tonight for a Shenmue community thread, if anyone has ideas/input/graphic stuff (i'm terrible at this) feel free to post or PM, i figure we're long overdue for one!

gotta come up with a good subtitle, beyond just #BELIEVE

Castef

Banned
i'm sure youv'e done extensive market research on that figure, but the sales between the series have been quite different, if you actually look them up.

also: they're vastly different series. people can - and here on GAF, constantly say as much - be big fans of one and not the other. I'm not even sure if you've played them both, to be honest.

I imagined that fan(boys) arguments could be "Heh, you have not played them both" (yes, I have).

And even though there is people continuing repeating that the two games are completely different, etc, etc, I still see the two series "similar" in terms of mass appeal: two oriental adventure games with free-roaming and a big emphasis on martial arts, to put it simple.

Two different games, I agree, yet, i repeat, if someone is NOT interested in Yakuza, chances are VERY high that the very same person is not interested in Shen Mue and vice versa. I don't need a "market research" (oh, please...) to postulate this, because seems to me very close to reality. And no, there is NOT much people interested in Yakuza in the west.

So, can't see much of a deal for Sega/Sony/Microsoft to invest huge amount of money to revive Shen Mue, instead of spending the very same amount of money on something different.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a Shen Mue 3 in the future, yet it has to necessarily pass throught a reboot (VEEEERY UNLIKELY) or, at least, through and HD remake of the first two episodes.

So, good luck, Shen Mue.

you know the good folks at Shenmue Dojo got your back!

Nice.....I just saw your post in that thread, try and get some information out of them regarding if anyone is going and if they are planning on doing something.

We all need to come together here and get something happening. I really should make a Shenmue Dojo account too LOL. Been lurking for like 8 years now.

If nothing is announced by GDC, then i would say possibly E3? Then again, that would be on an assumption that Sony got the rights to Shenmue 3. If only Shenmue HD is planned, then GDC seems like an appropriate place to announce it.

Yeah well that’s the thing, if we get absolutely nothing from the post-mortem then I wouldn’t expect anything from E3. However....if they do drop hints to build up some excitement at GDC then I sure as hell would still be hopeful for an E3 reveal.

Yeah well that’s the thing, If we get absolutely nothing from the post-mortem then I wouldn’t expect anything from E3. However....if they do drop hints to build up some excitement at GDC then I sure as hell would still be hopeful for an E3 reveal.

Would be so awesome if they dropped a 10 second teaser of Ryo and Lan Di with a next gen look.

I really should make a Shenmue Dojo account too LOL. Been lurking for like 8 years now..

I demand that you make a Dojo account lol. :)

The people over there are so kool and will give you the warmest welcome.

I think I'm gonna put in some work tonight for a Shenmue community thread, if anyone has ideas/input/graphic stuff (i'm terrible at this) feel free to post or PM, i figure we're long overdue for one!

gotta come up with a good subtitle, beyond just #BELIEVE

Community thread is well overdue. I'll have a think about the subtitle.

Coxy

NiGHTS was one of the most common Saturn games, and is considered a cult classic by some. It doesn't get much easier and safer than porting NiGHTS, especially since they used the PS2 version.

Exactly, porting Nights was not a major risk to Sega at all.

Shenmue 1 and 2, on the other hand would cost a lot to remake in HD/ Widescreen.

So safe, cheap, risk-free and easy it utterly killed all future HD releases

Synth

I imagined that fan(boys) arguments could be "Heh, you have not played them both" (yes, I have).

And even though there is people continuing repeating that the two games are completely different, etc, etc, I still see the two series "similar" in terms of mass appeal: two oriental adventure games with free-roaming and a big emphasis on martial arts, to put it simple.

Two different games, I agree, yet, i repeat, if someone is NOT interested in Yakuza, chances are VERY high that the very same person is not interested in Shen Mue and vice versa. I don't need a "market research" (oh, please...) to postulate this, because seems to me very close to reality. And no, there is NOT much people interested in Yakuza in the west.

So, can't see much of a deal for Sega/Sony/Microsoft to invest huge amount of money to revive Shen Mue, instead of spending the very same amount of money on something different.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a Shen Mue 3 in the future, yet it has to necessarily pass throught a reboot (VEEEERY UNLIKELY) or, at least, through and HD remake of the first two episodes.

So, good luck, Shen Mue.

I agree that the two games are superficially very similar. With that said I really disagree that the two games are actually similar in execution. The fact that we're having this discussion yet again somewhat attests to this. The overlap in people that try each series is large, but the separation between the two fanbases is very noticeable. A common quip is that Yakuza "is like Shenmue... but good!", which is essentially said by those that enjoy the combat oriented, action driven pacing of Yakuza and disliked Shenmue specifically because combat was not a main focus. The things these players often see as a mundane waste of time, are what Shenmue places a focus on more than it's combat system, and as a result is a very different game. Shenmue is an exploration focused game with combat, whilst Yakuza is a fighting game with some exploration. Shenmue fan(boy)s often dislike Yakuza for stripping out most of what they feel made Shenmue special, whilst Yazuka fan(boy)s believe the game is far better due to it's more focused direction.

This is what could potentially make a difference when attempting to market the game to new players. Shenmue can be marketed in ways that Yakuza simply can't be. This style of marketing was largely the reason that Shenmue was as anticipated as it was in the first place. Yazuka is much more difficult to differentiate from say GTA, and I daresay that if Shenmue hadn't already existed as a point of comparison, it may have struggled to be noticed even amongst many of its current fanbase. I like the Yakuza a lot today, but it took a while for me to bother trying it (Yakuza 3 was out by the time I played Yakuza 1), mostly because it looked more like an uninspired beat-em-up than a Shenmue style game from all of the trailers I saw... and I'm a ridiculously huge Sega fan (as in still likes them over Nintendo today).

Not that I think a new Shenmue is likely to succeed btw. I just don't think Yakuza's reception is much of an indication of it's potential reach.

I agree that the two games are superficially very similar. With that said I really disagree that the two games are actually similar in execution. The fact that we're having this discussion yet again somewhat attests to this. The overlap in people that try each series is large, but the separation between the two fanbases is very noticeable. A common quip is that Yakuza "is like Shenmue... but good!", which is essentially said by those that enjoy the combat oriented, action driven pacing of Yakuza and disliked Shenmue specifically because combat was not a main focus. The things these players often see as a mundane waste of time, are what Shenmue places a focus on more than it's combat system, and as a result is a very different game. Shenmue is an exploration focused game with combat, whilst Yakuza is a fighting game with some exploration. Shenmue fan(boy)s often dislike Yakuza for stripping out most of what they feel made Shenmue special, whilst Yazuka fan(boy)s believe the game is far better due to it's more focused direction.

This is what could potentially make a difference when attempting to market the game to new players. Shenmue can be marketed in ways that Yakuza simply can't be. This style of marketing was largely the reason that Shenmue was as anticipated as it was in the first place. Yazuka is much more difficult to differentiate from say GTA, and I daresay that if Shenmue hadn't already existed as a point of comparison, it may have struggled to be noticed even amongst many of its current fanbase. I like the Yakuza a lot today, but it took a while for me to bother trying it (Yakuza 3 was out by the time I played Yakuza 1), mostly because it looked more like an uninspired beat-em-up than a Shenmue style game from all of the trailers I saw... and I'm a ridiculously huge Sega fan (as in still likes them over Nintendo today).

Not that I think a new Shenmue is likely to succeed btw. I just don't think Yakuza's reception is much of an indication of it's potential reach.

This man speaks the truth. I totally agree. Me personally, the exclusion of all the little details and features in Yakuza, which are present in Shenmue, is what makes me enjoy Shenmue a lot more.

I guess it immerses you in the universe to a much greater degree.

On the other hand, i can see how someone from a GTA background or action background, would gravitate towards Yakuza.

Shenmue should not be advertised as a sandbox action game. It probably would benefit more advertised as a story driven experience, with RPG elements.

Before everyone says it wouldn't sale if it was advertised like that, look at Quantic Dream games. If Beyond Two souls can reach a million copies in a couple of months, then Shenmue, which is superior in every way should have no problem.

The PS4 is where this gem belongs.

ajim

This is a good post.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I hope nobody is getting their hopes up for some big announcement at this post-mortem.

I just cannot get my hopes about anything Shenmue related. :(

If they announce new HD ports with some updated mechanics (Ryo's walking was poorly implemented even when the game first came out (really my only gripe with the entire series) and marketed them, I think their could be some sales generated. I know I would buy one of the next gen consoles if either one received legitimate HD ports.

Now, on the other hand, if they managed to keep Shenmue III a secret for however long they have been "working on it" (totally hypothetical) and they announce something/tease something, I will be first to admit I was wrong and line-up for the release date. I need this story finished. Each disc of Shenmue II was so amazing for different reasons, but anyone who strolled along with Shenhua on disc 4 can tell you what a cathartic experience it was!

So safe, cheap, risk-free and easy it utterly killed all future HD releases

I really don't think this had too much of an impact on their future thinking - did Sonic Adventure 1 and 2/ Space Channel 5/ Crazy Taxi/ Daytona USA even sell that well? the latter was a marvelous port and I would like Sega to get their whole Model 2/3 and Naomi Boards on to the current gen consoles in similar fashion.

Sega need to stop being so tight and release those HD ports. Sure it won't sell call of duty numbers, but there is an audience for this sort of game.

It makes me very skeptical of the acquisition of ATLUS. I just hope future SEGA and ATLUS games dont get the valkyria chronicles treatment. That game sold over a million copies and still got treated like garbage.

Oh Sega.

In this age of first-person shooters and zombie games, I just want to drive my forklift, spend my earnings on capsule toys, and occasionally fight a dude.

All with glorious QTEs.

In this age of first-person shooters and zombie games, I just want to drive my forklift, spend my earnings on capsule toys, and occasionally fight a dude.

60523-forside.jpg

Gacha_Machine.png

sonic_the_fighters_saturn_version_by_sonicthecatburglar-d57xvks.jpg

tumblr_mfq4xorpeD1qlridho1_400.gif

teknix

Neo Member
I've heard it said that the cost to make Shenmue was the biggest cause of Sega's financial problems that caused it to get out of the hardware business. Is this true?

If Yu Suzuki came out and said, "I'm sorry, Shenmue 3 as a game is not possible." Im sure every fan would accept it. Sure, we'd be disappointed, but at least we'd have an answer. From there, they could finish the series as a CG, manga, or anime etc.

...................................Who am i kidding, Suzuki, make the damn game already. :D

RAIDEN1

My impression was the financial hole that Sega was in was already deep enough prior to Shenmue, the debacle of Shenmue only added to the depth, (I assume they started losing money pretty much soon after Sega CD launched, which set off the chain of events that brought the 32x and Saturn to the general public..)

Spaghetti

I've heard it said that the cost to make Shenmue was the biggest cause of Sega's financial problems that caused it to get out of the hardware business. Is this true?
nah

32x/sega cd/saturn triple whammy of limited success/outright failure is what did it

anybody who thinks shenmue killed sega is fucking deluded.

TCRS

Banned
nostalgia. every time I hear the theme. Just love the soundtrack, in fact I'm going to listen to it now.

#saveshenmue

IrishNinja

just wanted to invite everyone in here for the newly-made Shenmue Community Thread!

not even close, they had easily over a billion dollars of bad ideas, or good ones that were poorly implemented at best. Eidolon's Inn is a great read.

Spaghetti

Tweet anybody, at this point.
Janitor at Nintendo? Tweet him.
probably the only person working for nintendo who knows how to use the internet

i like how we can sort of play the xbox people off the playstation people now with demand

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member

The #SaveShenmue Tweetathon lasts ALL DAY Thursday, as Shenmue fans and likeminded gamers worldwide unite around the campaign hashtag. Join in whenever you like!

By the time you read this there'll have already been a simultaneous auto-blast of tweets via the IFTTT service, and another is due tonight via Thunderclap. Sign up now to add your voice to the resounding BOOM before the trigger is pulled:

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/9422-saveshenmue-april-3rd

Shenmue fans have PLENTY to talk about after a busy March, including:

- Yu Suzuki hunting for publishers at GDC (http://tinyurl.com/gdcshenmue)
- And unveiling a new Virtua Fighter spinoff (http://tinyurl.com/yugamelab)
- Magazine printing Shenmue 3 as most wanted (http://tinyurl.com/x1shenmue3)
- Phil Spencer remarking on Shenmue demand (http://tinyurl.com/xboxfindsailors)
- Previous Tweetathon reaching audience of 10m (http://tinyurl.com/march3rd2014)

So get tweeting and retweeting all you can today at http://TeamYu.net/SaveShenmue/Twitter

Team Yu needs YOU to #SaveShenmue!

PS: Here are some usernames you may wish to include in your tweets...

@Xbox
@XboxP3

@PlayStation
@giocorsi
@amboyes
@yosp

@SEGA
@SEGA_OFFICIAL

@Nintendo
@NintendoAmerica

Marcel

Not to be that guy, but Phil pretty much destroyed any hope of an Xbox exclusive Shenmue in the near future earlier today

V96Z6GL.png

This should come as no surprise to a Shenmue fan. We are likely viewed as laughingstocks by industry people for even bothering to keep it going for this long.

Not to be that guy, but Phil pretty much destroyed any hope of an Xbox exclusive Shenmue in the near future earlier today

V96Z6GL.png
He meant he doesn't want to use his studios to BUILD Shenmue. He kept repeating that Yesterday, it's not a project he would want his First Party Studio's to BUILD. Not fund, however. ;P

openrob

Everyone who owned a dreamcast would have had to have bought the game twice to cover the cost.

Was £70,000,000 to make. It didn't kill of the dreamcast, but it didn't help much. If anything the other way way around. Dreamcast didn't sell well so Shenmue, which was one of the later games for the console, and to an even worse extent, Shen2, didn't have a chance to sell well.

Shenmue was released in Nov 2000, Shenmue 2 in Oct 2001. Dreamcast was discontinued in March 2001. That aint a typo.

From wiki "By October 2000, Sega had only sold 2.6 million Dreamcast consoles"

He meant he doesn't want to use his studios to BUILD Shenmue. He kept repeating that Yesterday, it's not a project he would want his First Party Studio's to BUILD. Not fund, however. ;P

I don't know man. His answer about focusing on their own studios is in direct response to a question about funding Shenmue 3. How can you interpret it as Phil talking about actually building Shenmue?

I don't know man. His answer about focusing on their own studios is in direct response to a question about funding Shenmue 3. How can you interpret it as Phil talking about actually building Shenmue?
Because of these tweets around the same day:

@XboxP3 I see you're responding. If it was possible and sega got out of the way, would you make Shenmue?

@Shenmue___ There is just no winning in answering Shenmue questions. I'm not likely to have one of our first party studios build Shenmue.

@Hail2acmilan @TX4Life2383 I'd welcome Shenmue on XBOX, just not something our first party is going to build.

He just keeps saying his First Party won't build. He can fund it though! :D

Top Bottom