• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to say that Alpha was the worst series in mainline Street Fighter?

Skilletor

The point of the topic is bad mainline SF games. If Alpha isn't a mainline SF game (it's not and you know it) then it doesn't belong in the discussion, let alone used as a primary example.

Except it is. No, I don't believe otherwise.

Now comes the semantics debate about a number after a title being the only way to decide whether or not a game is a mainline entry. I don't believe that. The game is just as important as other SF games, introduced story elements still being used today, introduced characters still being used today, mechanics still being used today, and was just as relevant as any other SF for its time.

Alpha saw three entries and a handful of enhanced ports/different versions. A number of its characters appear in SF4. Story-wise it takes place between the events of SF1 and SF2.

How is it a spin-off?

dem0neyes

The point of the topic is bad mainline SF games. If Alpha isn't a mainline SF game (it's not and you know it) then it doesn't belong in the discussion, let alone used as a primary example.

I'm really hoping your not basing this game not being a mainline sf just b/c of the name. Pretty sure it was called zero overseas if u wanna make that argument.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Alpha 3 was great, but suffered heavily from balance issues. Doesn't make it the worst game... in fact, when I'm not playing with a handful of my fighter bros I prefer games like A3 or CvS2 for the fun factor.

Novocaine

Okay, so if we are going to split hairs then yes it should be only about SF 1 through 4. The OP used poor wording but I think we know what he means when he says "mainline".

I'm really hoping your not basing this game not being a mainline sf just b/c of the name. Pretty sure it was called zero overseas if u wanna make that argument.
Alpha was the first SF game Capcom made since 2, and I feel like people inherently clump it in with the main series because of this.

I concede though. I was mostly basing it off the fact EX was co produced by Capcom, but only the first game was, so it's very much a Arika series.

Mr. X

Alpha was the first SF game Capcom made since 2, and I feel like people inherently clump it in with the main series because of this.

I concede though. I was mostly basing it off the fact EX was co produced by Capcom, but only the first game was, so it's very much a Arika series.

The SF canon timeline is SF1 SFA SF2 SF4 SF3 or something so ya, it's mainline

CvS2 is the actual GOAT though.

Alpha series will always have a place in my heart i still play A3Max on my psp daily. But CvS2 is the goat no doubt about that. idk if you guys feel the same but new generation and 2nd impact stages/music are way better than 3rd strike

vocab

Everyone ignores me, but WHY is SF: The Movie bad? The console version, I mean. It's really fun and it plays exactly like Super Street Fighter II Turbo, which everybody loves. Seriously, why the hate?

980.gif

It plays like mortal kombat, and nothing like street fighter. It's buggy, it has game breaking glitches, and it's just plain bad. Sure it's mildly amusing, but it's not street fighter.

I also think people overstate the importance of 1-frame links in SF4.

Why do people plink and bind select to make 1 frame links easier? If they weren't important people wouldn't bother with stupid shit like that. Rufus is a good example. His bnb has a 1 frame link. It's pretty important.

Alpha was not the worst in the series. On a personal level, I'm giving that to 4 and all it's iterations.

Alpha was more of a transitional period in Capcom's history where there was a lot of experimentation and releases (90s fighting game heyday). They played with a lot of technology and ideas. I give them a lot of credit for that era.

But now, no excuse for 4 and t vs sf. yuck.

dacuk

It is safe to say that OP has never played EX or SF: The Movie?

I still prefer Alpha 3 to SF4 and its children

Bleepey

Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 are my best. It's a shame the newest edition of it doesn't have a PC release.

GGPO/gog are your friend. But anyhow a2 has amazing gameplay, sound and presentation if it had A3's roster it would be perfect. However a3 is trash, slow, shitty music, MUGEN bullshit. No thank you. St/HDR/a2 for life.

Top Bottom