• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I kind of want to work at Gamestop. Tell me what awaits me.

Ceebs

Hope you like minimum wage, as few hours as possible, and most likely dealing with terrible management.

I worked at one as an assistant manager for about a year many years ago. Probably the worst job I have ever had.

JHall

Okay, real talk, it completely pisses me off that store employees gain or lose points based on preorders or cancels. I can see incentivizing pre-orders, but it's completely fucking stupid that if a person comes in and preorders 10 games with Employee A, then comes in the next day after he got fired and cancels 9 of those with Employee B, Employee B gets fucked up the ass for it. That makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

Damn... I've cancelled so many games, not to mention a PS4 and an XB1 preorder.

I'm sorry GameStop employees, please forgive me of my sins.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bad hours.
Bad pay( you get to work with games, that is your pay!) they say. Mostly because any young kid will take your job, so it's not an easy job to get or keep despite being a shitty one.
Angry customers 24/7 no matter what you do
People trying to return everything
Being told to push subs and reserves at every transaction. Even if they're just buying batteries.
Loud kids
Kids and adults that won't get off the demo stations and let other customers use it
People who stay there for HOURS.

Worst job I ever had.
Damn... I've cancelled so many games, not to mention a PS4 and an XB1 preorder.

I'm sorry GameStop employees, please forgive me of my sins.

It's not your fault. It's a stupid system. It should count the cancel towards whoever got the reserve in the first place not who got the cancel.

What if you're really, really rich and money is the least of your concerns, would you recommend working at Gamestop just for the experience and shits and giggles? Mind you, you'd be, like, rich enough that you can afford to laugh at the manager's face throw a wad of bills at his like he's your bitch because you wouldn't care about getting fired at all.

Because it's 20 shits for one giggle? Why would you do that to yourself? There are like six billion other things to do with your spare time if money is not a concern. Hell, if you really had fuck-you money you could open up your own store and run it at a loss.

Kitoro

A 15% discount and the ability to rent games for free.

Other than that? Lots of headaches from both customers and corporate.

Is it really just 15% off? Crazy that I get more of a discount at Best Buy, and I don't even have to work there.

mankoto

Clueless parents
15% discount
You have the ability to tell "Gamestop stories" more than anyone else
People are generally nice if you greet them with a smile
They'll work you like a dog during the holiday and never call you ever again and tell you you're still employeed and drag you on for weeks/months saying "next week we'll have something for you."

Overall I generally like working there a lot... Whenever they call me in anyway

Preorder, preorder, preorder! Also people aka customers treating you extremely shit at times. It's not always bad but it's retail and as fun as it can be, it can always be as equally bad. I don't regret my time there and if you really just went a taste of what its like, wait till they do temp holiday hiring.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
It will smell like mall food, even if it's not in a mall.

DinHerio

Banned
Retail shop, working for minimum wage, a lot of stupid questions every day, being forced to annoy customers with offers... yeah, just don't do it if you have other possibilities.

cafemomo

Don't. The phone call greeting is like 35 seconds.

"Hi, thanks for calling gamestop, where we accept used games for store credit and cash, AND we are having a promo on iPads and various other tablets for 40% off, 75% off if you are a power up rewards card member with us, my name is X, how can I help you?

First question.. How old are you? You won't make much which is why I ask.

So if you do do it be informative and keep the fanboy shit to yourself. Be clear and explain things to your customer don't just go off on a tangent

DedValve

Banned
What if you're really, really rich and money is the least of your concerns, would you recommend working at Gamestop just for the experience and shits and giggles? Mind you, you'd be, like, rich enough that you can afford to laugh at the manager's face and throw a wad of bills at him like he's your bitch because you wouldn't care about getting fired at all.

You'd still have to deal with the shitty or (rightfully) pissed off people and unless you start throwing a shit ton of money at everyone it'll still be a shitty job.

EDIT: Wtf at the cancel pre-order system?

I pre-ordered Mario Kart 8 then cancelled it to pre-order one at a gamestop closer to my job so I don't have to take an extra bus fare :(

Krakn3Dfx

You go boy.

teaching%20kid%20to%20ride%20bike.gif

Tigress

Because it's 20 shits for one giggle? Why would you do that to yourself? There are like six billion other things to do with your spare time if money is not a concern. Hell, if you really had fuck-you money you could open up your own store and run it at a loss.

Shoot, I work retail and my job sounds a helluva lot more fun. We get nice customers and while we get a little of the sell this service I don't get dinged if I don't and I definitely don't get dinged if some one returns it in my line <- the managers might though. They have introduced numbers of at least a few things they expect our store to be able to sell a week. For non managers it just means the managers try to tell us we need to push it and even try to introduce bonus's if we do manage to (But I haven't seen even any "don't sell and we won't give you any hours"). Granted, I also have really good managers and our head manager knows how to hire (that is really important) and my coworkers are good (also important. Even if they are nice to you if they tick off the customers you will deal with crappy customers who are angry).

Not all retail is the same (There are some things that are universal, min wage, variable schedule, these days most places only hire part time :( so not enough hours). Hell, even the customers are not the same. And retail jobs that have a "cool" status tend to be a lot worse (cause they can get away with it cause they can get kids who don't know better to work there). Of course, some jobs (like walmart) suck even without the "cool" status (I don't think I could handle walmart customers, I don't even like going in that place to shop).

I'd try to find a place where customers enjoy shopping at if you had to work retail. Usually means you get happy customers who are much nicer to deal with when they like you (cause they associate you with a place they like). Also, look to see if the employees actually seem happy (usually means they are happy with how they are treated. And if you are observant, you can tell the difference between employees that are told to smile or else, and truly happy employees).

breakfuss

Retail.

It's not a games job, it's a retail job.

Not to mention a retail job that requires you peddle pre-orders all day. I wonder if doing so is worse than convincing people to sign up for store credit cards. That was the absolute worst thing about working retail for me. Especially when I didn't make my goals.

Though at least with GS you're surrounded by stuff you love and not racks of brassieres.

bro1

Banned
The worse job I've ever had. Worked there back in 2001 and I have never had a worse experience in my life. At the time I had dropped out of college and it was the experience that pushed me to go back and get my degree.

mankoto

"Hi, thanks for calling gamestop, where we accept used games for store credit and cash, AND we are having a promo on iPads and various other tablets for 40% off, 75% off if you are a power up rewards card member with us, my name is X, how can I help you?

I'll never forget that I did all of that and got reprimanded for not saying the location of the GameStop...

Ceebs

Oh I forgot the worst part. Parents treat the store as a day care. They will drop their kids off and leave them at the store for HOURS.

The worse job I've ever had. Worked there back in 2001 and I have never had a worse experience in my life. At the time I had dropped out of college and it was the experience that pushed me to go back and get my degree.

Same here! After I quit it was back to school for me.

Moofers

I worked at a Funcoland just as they got bought by GameStop. My boss had me work open to close on my days and when he was supposed to come in at 1:00 and help until close, he'd show up at 4 and play Tony Hawk for a couple hours before leaving. I paid him back by going to Best Buy the morning of PS2 launch and getting my system before clocking in 2 hours late, after he handled our pre-orders by himself.

You can expect shitty pay and frustrating nerds who insist on preaching to you about why your favorite games or systems are the wrong choice. There's also sometimes fun. Oh, and get ready to read off a short paragraph of shit every time you answer the phone. "Thank you for calling GameStop where you can now pre-order Final Fantasy 13 Lightning Returns, my name is blank how can I help you today?"

But hey, if you're young and it's a first job, or if you're not young and want an easy way to pick up a small amount of extra cash, it's not so bad. Just go in knowing it sucks as much as it is fun.

Kariodude

Banned
It's a great job for someone going to college that doesn't really need the money and just wants somewhere to work 0-3 days a week.

Okay, real talk, it completely pisses me off that store employees gain or lose points based on preorders or cancels. I can see incentivizing pre-orders, but it's completely fucking stupid that if a person comes in and preorders 10 games with Employee A, then comes in the next day after he got fired and cancels 9 of those with Employee B, Employee B gets fucked up the ass for it. That makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

I remember the time I was trading in some games and preordering something and the manager was happy to help me. When I mentioned I wanted to cancel a different preorder he made another employee come over and do it.

SeanTSC

I've always had this morbid curiosity of working at gamestop. I've seen how stupid some of their salesmen can be. I mean anybody with a brain outranks those that have no bran. But I've always had this alter fascination with being the Al Bundy of Gamestop and having many stories to tell about Gamestop much like my time at Der Disnay.

Anyone work at gamestop or has worked at gamestop to tell me what I should expect?

Haven't worked there, but I go there a ton and hit a lot of their midnight releases.

I imagine the worst thing about working there will be customers who are just horribly misinformed, have crazy opinions, and are just flat out wrong about a ton of things. You wouldn't believe some of the absolutely pure *NONSENSE* that people have spouted while I've waited in line for a midnight release of a game. Some of the stuff people have said made my head feel like it was going to explode and it was a level of crazy where it's just better to keep your mouth shut than trying to inform them of anything.

You will not run into many people who keep up with the games industry like GAF readers and it will eat at your soul.

Its depressing enough shopping there!

I worked at game crazy in college and it was okay. About the same amount of hassle and tedium as working at subway which I also did later, but with lots of games around.

This one motherfucker though, he always was trying to shoplift and he was terribly obvious at it.

And the other guy who came there after working his late shift job at the slaughterhouse covered in blood and shit stains. Fuck.

I have the opposite problem. I'm basically being forced to apply there, but that is the one place where I'm not willing to work. Anywhere but there. Working at a GameStop just sounds like pure hell to me. I don't want to have to tell people to preorder a game that I feel will be shit. My conscience just couldn't take it.

Basically, I need to figure out how to subtly sabotage my application. GL if you really do want to work there for.

I want to know more of this story.

In any case a this is a non-issue. Bomb the interview. Just spout a bunch of stupid shit like pondering why there are so many games that feature Nazis as the enemies rather than the righteous saviors as they were in real life.

You should also comment on how games would be improved by featuring uncensored rape scenes. Allude that Little Big Planet would have been a much better game if it had done so.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lying/bullshitting people, I guess? That's what most people at those stores seem to do. I'm sure there are many very decent people working there as well, but from what I can tell they're not really allowed to show that they're intelligent, thinking people. Getting people to buy/pre-order shit at all costs, that seems to be the goal. Wouldn't want to work there.

sonto340

They tried to pull that on me constantly. Why do I have to specify that I want a sealed new game and not your opened copy that's probably used.

Ugh so much fucking this.
I bought a "new" copy of rock band 2 for 12 dollars at a gamestop and it came in a crappy standard bluray black case instead of a clear PS3 case
The code on the manual for exporting was good though so whatever.

Lying/bullshitting people, I guess? That's what most people at those stores seem to do. I'm sure there are many very decent people working there as well, but from what I can tell they're not really allowed to show that they're intelligent, thinking people. Getting people to buy/pre-order shit at all costs, that seems to be the goal. Wouldn't want to work there.
This is my least favorite part of working in retail.
I routinely go out of my way to make sure the customer isn't getting fucked, and spend a lot of time getting scolded by my boss for it, but I wouldn't feel too bad getting fired for being a decent person /shrug

bro1

Banned
Oh I forgot the worst part. Parents treat the store as a day care. They will drop their kids off and leave them at the store for HOURS.

Same here! After I quit it was back to school for me.

I worked at the King of Prussia mall and this happened everyday. Also, crazy coworkers. I worked with thieves, compulsive liars, drug addicts, and deviants. It's been 13 years since I worked there and it still stays with me. The shit I saw, man.

bro1

Banned
I worked at a Funcoland just as they got bought by GameStop. My boss had me work open to close on my days and when he was supposed to come in at 1:00 and help until close, he'd show up at 4 and play Tony Hawk for a couple hours before leaving. I paid him back by going to Best Buy the morning of PS2 launch and getting my system before clocking in 2 hours late, after he handled our pre-orders by himself.

You can expect shitty pay and frustrating nerds who insist on preaching to you about why your favorite games or systems are the wrong choice. There's also sometimes fun. Oh, and get ready to read off a short paragraph of shit every time you answer the phone. "Thank you for calling GameStop where you can now pre-order Final Fantasy 13 Lightning Returns, my name is blank how can I help you today?"

But hey, if you're young and it's a first job, or if you're not young and want an easy way to pick up a small amount of extra cash, it's not so bad. Just go in knowing it sucks as much as it is fun.
Philly area?

Top Bottom