• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

If anyone from Bungie is reading this, please show some footage of a player swiftly and gracefully donging on enemies with pure hip fire at E3. Thanks.

Lakitu

st5fu
Dunno but it looks really good to me. I like the pacing and encounters. I'm excited, I'm glad the levels feel open and large for instance. I just want to see more of patrol mode.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Fragment? It's four 15+ minute videos worth. People are just calling it as they see it.

And it's a footage of a closed alpha build that wasn't supposed to be leaked. And frankly, the tone of those posts are more like ''This game is shit'' than ''People are just calling it as they see it'' if ya ask me.

BokehKing

Banned
Oh man if this game was made by anyone not named Bungie I'd be worried. Very Borderlandsy
Why is this a bad thing? Borderlands is very diablo-ey, which again is not a bad thing.

Borderlands is jokes and humor, this has more of a fleshed out multiplayer element with multiple world's and online events.

GHG

If anyone from Bungie is reading this, please show some footage of a player swiftly and gracefully donging on enemies with pure hip fire at E3. Thanks.

While dancing and doing somersaults.

That way the game stops being generic and it will excite people.

Betty

Banned
It is also alpha gameplay.

I know, hopefully so does everyone else. But from what I've personally seen of it already, the assertions of it being a cross with Halo and Borderlands still holds true, and that's not a bad thing in my eyes.

Cipherr

ADS has nothing to do with this. Look at Quake's sandbox of weapons, or Counter-Strike, or Halo. Weapons have varied firing types, projectile ranges and spreads. Quake has far more "guns with different accuracies" than a CoD game that essentially has like 4, SMG class, AR class, Shotgun and Sniper class weapons.

Go check out Unreal and the weapons in that game then get back to me about engaging at different ranges with weapons of different accuracies and deep game mechanics. Or Tribes for that matter, seriously ADS adds nothing to the shooter genre, except more casual fans that don't know what they are talking about.

So true.

All of these people in here judging this game on alpha footage... have you ever played an alpha? Give it a rest until at least beta, which you will all have access to try for free.

But I also have to agree with this. People freaking out over Alpha footage and rough Betas are the reason things are so fucked up these days.

Nowadays you have studios putting out demos under the title "Beta" because actually letting people play an Alpha or Beta just ends up in a bunch of dumbasses crying about everything thats not yet polished, finalized or balanced. Total overreaction overload. They end up damaging their games potential by even offering Alphas and Beta access.

maneil99

WE WANT BETA's AND COMPANIES TO BE MORE OPEN
OMG ALPHA FOOTAGE HAS BAD AI

Come on guys, its an alpha, of an FPSMMO pre launch with 2 people playing it

GHG

I know, hopefully so does everyone else. But from what I've personally seen of it already, the assertions of it being a cross with Halo and Borderlands still holds true, and that's not a bad thing in my eyes.

But we already knew that from the initial reveal if anyone actually listened to what they were saying...

BokehKing

Banned
Opinion is only valid if it's positive?
You're judging an alpha you weren't even invited to play. To be fair our positive comments shouldn't matter either considering we weren't supposed to see this ourselves.

With that said, I feel this game gets a lot of negative remarks and I won't be arguing with people when it comes out because I'll be too busy playing it. Hell I suffered through that other MMO on ps3/360 (the one tied into that TV show, game so memorable that I forgot it's name) just for the concept alone, full well knowing Bungie will take that same concept and do it better. (minus TV shows)

Acheteedo

I quite like what I see in video 4 (finally!). Based on what we saw previously it looked like action packed corridors and nothing else. Which isn't appealing. I like the calmer, explorative gameplay we're seeing here.

Phlebas

Banned
You're judging an alpha you weren't even invited to play. To be fair our positive comments shouldn't matter either considering we weren't supposed to see this ourselves.

With that said, I feel this game gets a lot of negative remarks and I won't be arguing with people when it comes out because I'll be too busy playing it. Hell I suffered through that other MMO on ps3/360 (the one tied into that TV show, game so memorable that I forgot it's name) just for the concept alone, full well knowing Bungie will take that same concept and do it better. (minus TV shows)

Defiance?

Stimpack

Well of course it was streamed to Ustream.

I thought it looked alright. Personally I felt that the original Halo was the only one that really nailed it. The others were just... eh... I just wasn't feeling it. The guns didn't feel as impactful. It's the same with Borderlands. Anyway I'll probably sink a lot of hours into this. There's not really a ton of good co-op FPS RPG games out there, and I'll never get another Halo.

Edit: Oh, damn. The snowy area looks pretty nice, and the menus look fantastic. That character screen? Damn!

Raab

Neo Member
If you want to play as a super fast glider jumping around spinning 360degrees on a dime there are games that let you do that. Just becuase you dont agree with the design decisions dosent mean they are wrong or bad.

There really aren't that many (new or mainstream) games that are built around that principle anymore. I respect their decisions, and they aren't wrong or bad for doing what they chose to do. For myself, I am getting mixed signals though. From what I remember, they wanted to facilitate to the competitive arena shooter crowd while also doing the MMOFPS deal. Hopefully they can deliver on both ends.

Well to bad for you i love slow shooters and ADS it makes the game feel more "grounded". If you want to play as a super fast glider jumping around spinning 360degrees on a dime there are games that let you do that. Just becuase you dont agree with the design decisions dosent mean they are wrong or bad.
I said nothing about general speed of play/combat. Interesting that you bring that up though because the most popular ADS shooters on the market right now such as COD, Battlefield, and Titanfall have quick, twitchy gunplay compared to something like Halo which has much more medium paced.

My comments were simply in response to these layers/depth of gunplay for ADS or non-ADS combat and obviously my preference in a game like this is just my opinion, although I believe ADS combat that prevents continued full range of play movement weakens the game.

Get_crazy

Banned
Another dancing gif:

1402134251-fgnh.gif

JB1981

Have a feeling the guy playing doesn't really know how to use some of the other abilities. He just shoots his gun all day from a safe distance

Nowadays you have studios putting out demos under the title "Beta" because actually letting people play an Alpha or Beta just ends up in a bunch of dumbasses crying about everything thats not yet polished, finalized or balanced. Total overreaction overload. They end up damaging their games potential by even offering Alphas and Beta access.

Without trying to get to far into the roughshod "entitled gamers" meme, which is (almost) as bad as "lazy devs," I agree.

Gamers can't say they want more openness and less tightly-controlled marketing narratives from publishers and devs while simultaneously punishing them any time something happens that deviates from the tightly-scripted playbook.

Kinyou

Opinion is only valid if it's positive?
That's the feeling I get sometimes. Getting crazy hyped over a game is totally ok, while thinking it's boring "you're crazy for judging it so early"

Maybe we should either judge them or not judge them at all

Raide

If the world if fun to explore and full of cool things to see/shoot/loot, then i am all for it. The mix of dark and nasty indoor sections and then massive open areas is nothing new but it looks lovely in Destiny. I cannot wait to see what their plans are for end-game content like their Raid's etc.

Man

He visits a crypt and discovers a group of epic badguys (second video, last third). His weapon barely scratching them so he escapes back to the surface.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
WE WANT BETA's AND COMPANIES TO BE MORE OPEN
OMG ALPHA FOOTAGE HAS BAD AI

Come on guys, its an alpha, of an FPSMMO pre launch with 2 people playing it
Destiny is not an MMO, never was aimed to be, and never will be.

It's a co-op game with instances and sometimes people can meetup.

Trickster

That's the feeling I get sometimes. Getting crazy hyped over a game is totally ok, while thinking it's boring "you're crazy for judging it so early"

Mayve we should either judge them or not judge them at all

I say we judge games rationally. Something a lot of the negative posters don't really seem to do.

The comments regarding AI for instance, stick out like a sore thumb. Judging the AI of the game, and Bungie capabilities at making AI from closed alpha videos is honestly moronic.

Brohan

Destiny is not an MMO, never was aimed to be, and never will be.

It's a co-op game with instances and sometimes people can meetup.

So he's got the genre wrong.. but that's not what his post was about.

He's right you know, people are acting like this is the final build.

Raide

I think the co-op elements will be the most interesting for me. I hope they fill the world and give players plenty of things to find. Hopefully something along similar lines to the Terminals in Halo. Love that extra lore stuff and Destiny certainly has some massive lore possibilities behind it.

Top Bottom