• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

Trickster

damnn they really gotta improve the AI. That was just sad.

Please keep in mind what the footage is leaked footage and from a closed alpha. You were never meant to see this footage in the first place. If the footage Bungie shows of at E3 also has blantantly bad AI, then it might be time to worry. But worrying over AI from this footage seems pretty premature imo.

There's that word again, "generic". It's being thrown around for lots of games coming down the pike. I don't know what non-generic gameplay would even look like anymore. There just isn't much space for major design changes that wouldn't be accused of gimmickry.

Hey man, each year i play at least 5 sci-fi shooters that take place in dynamic open worlds that have me teaming up with other players, that can be both friends and people I meet randomly in the area I'm in. Destiny is totally generic

Booshka

Don't remind me of it..such potential but in the end..a very very bad game.

Keep a close eye on Dirty Bomb, by the same team, it has some serious potential. Hopefully they pull it off this time, and it isn't released to the public completely broken, because it's a fun game.

I hope they will have an option to turn off the narrator / announcer.

Tyrion-lannister-an-american.gif

Duxxy3

Pumping hundreds of bullets into a single enemy did get pretty boring after a while.

I never got past the second hour in either game. Made for co-op, dreadful for solo. Destiny looks the same in that regard.

I just wanted a game like halo, but multiplatform.

Well if Watch Dogs was anything to go by, GAF's reactions have 0 bearing on:

1. How good a game is and...
2. How well the game sells

So people can be negative Nancy's if they want, it makes no difference.

lol pretty much, only thing that Watch Dogs got nailed for was OmG GFX so low!
But it was actually a really solid game, even though it took only a week to 100% plat it. I still enjoyed my time in chicago plenty. I have a feeling Destiny is going to turn out great and perfectly fine. Everything is different from actually watching it and playing it yourself.

It adds a layer of gameplay, something alot of PC-gamers that are stuck in the 90's can't seem to get their head around.

It adds nothing to certain FPS games. It is completely being used for reasons of "everyone else does it" here in destiny. The same reawson why the game transitons to 3rd person animations, the same reason why enemies are slow and non-reactive, the same reason why you have hit markers, and the same reason why you have power ups and loot. This game is engineered for an audience and for a baseline consumption. "Epic loot..." yep.

Not gonna lie, this game looks bad. Very bad.

Mobility vs Accuracy.

In the footage it is pretty obvious to tell that the guns are pretty accurate even without ADS, it is just a matter of lining up with the center of the screen.

jem0208

Hey man, each year i play at least 5 sci-fi shooters that take place in dynamic open worlds that have me teaming up with other players, that can be both friends and people I meet randomly in the area I'm in. Destiny is totally generic
The setting isn't the part people are complaining about. It's the typical ADS corridor shooting which has people bored.

I never got past the second hour in either game. Made for co-op, dreadful for solo. Destiny looks the same in that regard.

I just wanted a game like halo, but multiplatform.

Same, and before people start tearing that apart: What Halo is all about in it's best situations is dynamic gameplay with lot's of variety in weapons, enemies and AI. This is what I want to see in other games since it's a rare trait in FPS games ...I guess it's not easy to do.

VaizardNL

Banned
Opinion is only valid if it's positive?

Opinion is valid if you can base it on something that is close to completion/where only small tweaks apply, or actually only something that resembles what you buy in a store.

You don't review a car if it only has 2 wheels.

The problem with the videos they've shown, and its present in these leaked alpha gameplay videos too, is the lack of any hint of a story and the game doesn't seem to have any "life".. the only person talking is the little robot and his voice is very serious and quite frankly does not seem like a good casting choice. Seems to me they should have went w/ a comic relief robot to give the game some damn personality. Its just run around and shoot shit. This is why it seems boring to people.

Game is in desperate need of character. The reason borderlands works is the humor and art style fit perfectly with the gameplay. Here we have a case of trying to mix a coop loot shooter w/ a serious tone and it just doesn't mesh well. It might just seem this way because we've been given so little story that we don't realize why we're at these locales shooting shit up, but that's Bungie's fault for marketing it poorly.

They'd really do themselves a huge favor by showing off the campaign stuff. Let us get to know the story and characters and perhaps it won't seem so damn lifeless
Exactly, the game has no soul

ZehDon

Gold Member
And that's why devs are so hesistant to show things off early. It's in an alpha state, dude. I'm sure the AI will improve
I'm sure it will see the usual improvements and refinements, but drastic systemic changes? I'm skeptical. This showed MMO-style A.I.. Given Destiny's position as a cross-gen online only title, I'm concerned we're going to get something akin to Titanfall's Grunts, and not Halo's Elites. I'm happy to be wrong.

Am I the only who thought that footage looked amazing? These clips are only from the beginning stages, and it looked pretty fun, to me.

Xpliskin

This will be like The Order gameplay vid thread all over again, will it :D ?
Armchair designers, hyperboles and judging a game by a fragment of a level.

9rkDKoa.gif

_hekk05

Banned
ADS has nothing to do with this. Look at Quake's sandbox of weapons, or Counter-Strike, or Halo. Weapons have varied firing types, projectile ranges and spreads. Quake has far more "guns with different accuracies" than a CoD game that essentially has like 4, SMG class, AR class, Shotgun and Sniper class weapons.

Go check out Unreal and the weapons in that game then get back to me about engaging at different ranges with weapons of different accuracies and deep game mechanics. Or Tribes for that matter, seriously ADS adds nothing to the shooter genre, except more casual fans that don't know what they are talking about.

So i have a gun shooting at x accuracy at y rounds per minute with z recoil, and I move at a speed while shooting.

At any engagement, I can choose to sacrifice movement speed and turn rate for increased accuracy and have to deal with a slightly different recoil.

Now incorporate that into many different weapons. ADS makes the game more flexible and game mechanics deeper. Not my fault COD has generic weapons.

gioGAF

I will wait until the game is available before making any claims about it being "generic". It seems like a really bad trend, this whole calling an unreleased game "generic". How is this any more generic than any shooter released in the last 5 years? How about any of the sports games, all generic? By that same account, something like Watch Dogs is also generic. I guess that means Dark Souls is generic, sit it is a straight rip-off of Demon's Souls.

All I care about is if this game (or any game for that matter) is a quality+fun game, smh.

I will wait until the game is available before making any claims about it being "generic". It seems like a really bad trend, this whole calling an unreleased game "generic". How is this any more generic than any shooter released in the last 5 years? How about any of the sports games, all generic? By that same account, something like Watch Dogs is also generic. I guess that means Dark Souls is generic, sit it is a straight rip-off of Demon's Souls.

All I care about is if this game (or any game for that matter) is a quality+fun game, smh.

Agreed

GHG

I dont understand what people expect from videogames anymore.

This is a shooter, the videos show the player shooting at things. The environments look good, the draw distance looks great. There is potential there for some large explorable environments and large battles. Its also alpha gameplay so its pretty hard to judge as we don't know what may change between now and launch.

If you don't like MMO shooter games then this probably wont be the game for you.

If you don't like shooters then this probably wont be the game for you.

If you dont like borderlands which took MMO concepts and drew them down to a smaller scale (co-op) then this probably wont be a game for you.

If you are looking for the type of game that is listed above and you hate the look of this then maybe you are jaded and need a new hobby to excite you?

Trickster

Am I the only who thought that footage looked amazing? These clips are only from the beginning stages, and it looked pretty fun, to me.

Nope. I think the game looks really good. The level of exploration and discovery seems really high, which is absolutely the most important part about the game for me. There are still plenty of things I want to know more about in detail, but that will probably be made clear at E3.

In general, I think it's crazy that people are judging the game as hard as they are, considering it's closed alpha footage. I mean people just seems commited to being negative about the game. The AI comments are just really weird, it's like people think that Bungie as a whole got amnesia after they stopped working on halo, and forgot how to make the best AI in gaming. And this knowledge seems based on some janky AI behavior from closed alpha footage....

So having to choose between mobility and accuracy instead of players having the ability to do multiple things at once if they have the skill set to pull it off, increasing depth of combat.

I don't know if it increases the depth of combat. But having ADS in a shooter changes the dynamic of the game from. Whether you like that or not is up to each person I suppose.

Betty

Banned
This will be like The Order gameplay vid thread all over again, will it :D ?
Armchair designers, hyperboles and judging a game by a fragment of a level.

Fragment? It's four 15+ minute videos worth. People are just calling it as they see it.

SystemUser

ADS has nothing to do with this. Look at Quake's sandbox of weapons, or Counter-Strike, or Halo. Weapons have varied firing types, projectile ranges and spreads. Quake has far more "guns with different accuracies" than a CoD game that essentially has like 4, SMG class, AR class, Shotgun and Sniper class weapons.

Go check out Unreal and the weapons in that game then get back to me about engaging at different ranges with weapons of different accuracies and deep game mechanics. Or Tribes for that matter, seriously ADS adds nothing to the shooter genre, except more casual fans that don't know what they are talking about.

A lot of people play first person shooters, because they like the first person camera angle. You are in the boots of the soldier. Aiming down sights helps add to that effect because when you imagine someone shooting a gun you imagine them actually aiming the gun. The fact that you are aiming the gun helps sell the fantasy. I am a big Halo fan, but when I play them now it actually feels strange that you can't aim a lot of the guns.

Maybe you imagination goes more Rambo or other action movies where people don't aim the gun when they shoot. Not aiming was good enough for Rambo it should be good enough for me.

W0MRmLo.gif

CBUngGW.gif

UPiXZtX.gif

Rambo needs a good game. I think the one on Commodore 64 was good.

So having to choose between mobility and accuracy instead of players having the ability to do multiple things at once if they have the skill set to pull it off, increasing depth of combat.

Well to bad for you i love slow shooters and ADS it makes the game feel more "grounded". If you want to play as a super fast glider jumping around spinning 360degrees on a dime there are games that let you do that. Just becuase you dont agree with the design decisions dosent mean they are wrong or bad.

Top Bottom