• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most aesthetically appealing console of all time?

Widge

Turd machine, but one that would make the most sense in my front room.

cdtv-right.jpg

With this in second place:

Console_psx.jpg

The less they look like consoles, the happier I am.

lazygecko

How did this not get posted yet?

It might have some kitsch appeal but I wouldn't exactly call it pretty. It looks like a VCR. Which I guess makes sense with Nintendo of America's strategy of differentiating themselves from being a video game console at the time, since the industry crash left a bad taste in people's mouths.

leng jai

Vertical white PS4.

I love how virtually every singe console in existence has been posted in here. Some real monstrosities too.

Ace001

I've never bought a Nintendo product but there is something about the GameCube I love.

Tempted to get one off eBay

The white ps4 is also a sexy unit which I will soon own

Business

One thing is at the time of release and the other how it looks today. Most if not all old designs seem super dated to me now. So yeah, PS4.

If we only consider how much I liked it at the time of release I'd go with the white DS Lite.

^^^^
I wonder if 6th gen Nintendo fans were hoping that Drake and Josh would save the NGC.

I don't know how they went from this perfection to the 3DS, 3DSXL and 2DS.

lol
I guess they didn't want people to get confused.
The DSi was pretty sweet lookin' if you ask me; hopefully their 9th gen brother portable will get a revision (or day 1 design) that's as nice as the DSi.

bjork

Any console that's a soft pink or a lavender. Milky pink GBA, the Hannah Montana PSP, the Sakura Spring PS2, etc. I was always super bummed that the pink GC never came out, after they showed in with a bunch of other colors in a display case at some show.

SerTapTap

This is a tough one. I absolutely love a lot of retro console but holy crap I despise the 80s/90s "grey plastic with ridges" design. I am sorry PSX, SNES, N64, PS2, I do not love you for your looks. The original Xbox was the peak of the "incredibly boxy box with unnecessary curves and ridges" and I'm glad we haven't seen such design since.

I think I'll go with the PS4, though the black Wii does cut a nice figure (I of course have a hideous white one). Though I must say the blue LED slot looks better in screenshots than in your home. Also Dreamcast gets a shout out to being the least ugly major console before gen 7, as does the Vita for being by far the most premium looking handheld...OG only of course..

I really like the way the Xbox 360 S looks.

The Halo Reach version is particular is gorgeous.

BDvTD.jpg

By no twist of fate would I ever expect my first and only Xbox product to be a Japanese limited edition Halo console, which I ironically use exclusively to play Japanese shmups. Or my first limited edition console to be purchased years after it went out of stock. But here we are, got a good deal and some games off of ebay. Love the look of it, not a fan of the sounds (I assume these are LE sounds not stock?), controllers look great, though I wish they had the more recent analog stick and transforming d pad designs.

1280px-Sega-CD-Model1-Set.jpg

Then throw in the 32X ontop of the Genesis man and you had a mountain of pure awesome.

I remember turning on my Sega Genesis and cranking up the headphone volume even without headphones just to give the effect of kicking up the power on my jet fighter or something.

White PS4. I will be trading in my current PS4 for one sometime this year. Maybe for a Christmas gift to myself.

Caayn

Nintendo thread? Jup, nintendo thread. The GameCube, the black Wii, the Nintendo DSi, the GameBoy micro, the 3DS(LL). All perfection. Even Paris Hilton agrees :p
I really like the way the Xbox 360 S looks.

The Halo Reach version is particular is gorgeous.

BDvTD.jpg
EEwwwhhhm, it looks brownish in that picture. Reach edition is my favorite Xbox 360, but not that brown one.

I was 13 when this console was released. Already a huge fan of PlayStation after the PS1, this was the first time I owned a console from day 1 of release. The blue logo, the blue power light, heck, even the DVDs were blue! It just looked like the future. I can look at that console today and the nostalgia hit is so damn powerful I still think this console looks like the future. So, obviously I'm in the minority here (maybe even alone), but that's why this console's form resonates so much with me. Pure nostalgia, and some of the best games I've ever played.

Top Bottom