• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most aesthetically appealing console of all time?

heyf00L

Probably

176107-nintendo_ds.jpg

Wools

Neo Member
This is a hard one... I would probably choose the Nintendo 64 as my favourite looking console as I love the sleek lines, one colour scheme and it's an honest to goodness games console with a chunky cartridge slot.

Also the controller is very distinctive and beautiful, if we're taking the whole package into account!

nintendo-64-console-300x273.jpg

Hastati

I prefer the toyish/fun look over classy high-tech look, and I've a weak spot for transparent, especially if it has gradiënt colors.

Woah! I don't remember gradients at ALL! That's beautiful!

Are these all extremely limited releases? I want that transparent 3ds ll, but if I remember it was a concept piece or something...dammit Nintendo, bring back transparency!!

Cynn

Awesome, another Dreamcast thread!

The Jaguar actually looks quite cool in person. It's only when turned on and doing the math that ugly comes into play.

PS3 in all its models
ps3.jpg
playstation3-spielkonsole.jpg
8bf04768-027a-11e2-8c7d-03d597da66a1-493x328.jpg

I have the final version and I would say it doesnt look that nice in person. The plastic looks (and feels) fairly cheap and it is easily marked.

I think the neo geo was a bit of a looker, and i am also partial to my (pristine) PS Vita (OLED) and black wii u.

tesla246

I honestly like most consoles for different reasons; The ps2 for that realy ''future design lookin the eraly 00s'', the N64 for that cartidge look, and the ps1 for that mid 90s sony design. I also like the saturn, nes and even older 80s consoles just becasue they look so differently.
Ultimately, when I have to choose there can only be one of course and that is GAMECUBE of course. It is the ONLY RECENT DISC BASED console that looks as a toy/gameconsole, and I love it for that. The inside is also a beautifully designed stacked puzzel; everything fits so nicely inside and there is even room to spare for modders :)

gamecube2.jpg

Also, move over black and whit people. BRING BACK COLORS ON CONSOLES!

Zechs

I LOVE that we made it to 7 pages and still not a SINGLE picture of an Xbox One lol

Vote goes to Vita for me!

Don't see any pics of the PSP GO posted yet. While perhaps not my absolute favorite, it manages to pack so much awesome inside its tiny frame while still being damn fine looking. To me, it's Sony's GBA Micro.

psp%2520go%2520white2.jpg

psp-go_640embed002.jpg

To me, this is the epitome of handheld design, make a Vita exactly like this, put the second stick in the <START SELECT> area and make the screen cover the whole front face.

Also, because it hasnt been mentioned enough:

PSP_FI_by_CYG.jpg

Just look at that, someone went out of their way to make the thing completely symmetrical, absolute beauty.

THE ONLY thing that isnt symmetrical is the Stick and Home button, absolutely everything else is mirrored.

VMAN01

MGS4 Gun Metal Grey PS3

Steel-PS3.jpg

Final Fantasy VII PS3 Special Edition

ff-vii-ps3.jpg

Yakuza PS3 Special Edition

Playstation_rising_dragon_pack.jpg

Ni No Kuni PS3 Special Edition

special-edition-gold-ps3-ni-no-kuni-bundle-another-reason-move-japan.w654.jpg

And a non-official but albeit awesome design!

Rainbow Six Vegas

ps3_rainbow_vegas_case_1.jpg

PlayStation Vita and Wii. Most game consoles actually look really bad, especially if we are judging by modern standards. PS4 is pretty close though.

Fuchsdh

The XB1 is probably up there. My problem with most consoles is that they usually feel like they're trying to be more than the plastic they are. The slim PS4 and XB360 S are fairly attractive as well.

Takuan

I really liked the look of the PSOne and half-considered buying one despite owning a BC PS2.

Super Famicom was nice, as well.

Oh, the Wii and Wii U are both aesthetically pleasing, too.

lazygecko

I really liked my Model 2 growing up:

Clean and simple.

Isn't that the third model? Pretty sure the second one had red buttons. Didn't like that design much. First model with High Definition Graphics is the best one but I think the model 3 is what the second one should have looked like from the start.

I'm quite relieved that no one has actually posted the US SNES model. My god that thing is hideous.

Hikami

Has always been the Gamecube for me, it seems like its just a cube... But the designs on that actual cube, like the controller ports, disc sizes, and the removable parts made it appealing to me.

Seik

Banned
The SEGA Saturn on par with the SEGA Dreamcast.

The Saturn felt like a solid block of gaming. Simple design, yet so attractive.

The Dreamcast is like the natural evolution of the Saturn, it felt like SEGA went ''Why not?'' on it, giving it more curves and colors. To me it feels like F1 version of the Saturn and the epitome of console design by SEGA.

Just look at how beautiful both of the beasts are, they emanate respect.

Salty Hippo

Indigo Gamecube is the only right answer.

img_3612.jpg

I'm not a fan of its library at all but man does this thing look absolutely magical.

Ran rp

nintendo_gamecube_desktop_organizer_5.jpg

It's just so god damn sexy to me, it screams console and it's also ultra portable.

73781_2.PNG

It has no equal. One of the best, if not the best.

I've always been quite fond of the way the Sega Mark III and Master System look.

dBWyDYcl.jpg

3iIUUW0.jpg

Minimalist perfection.

I was always partial to the japanese Saturn. Aesthetically it might have been beaten by some of the 7th generation consoles, but it is the pinacle of the "old" console look (basically a square where you put the game in the middle).

Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk2-Console-Set.jpg

Nothing compares to the WonderMega. It's a Genesis/Sega CD console, and the cartridges go into that horizontal line on the left of the console.

5uDrxxM.jpg

Followed by

600px-PlayStation_Vita_illustration.svg.png

Not sure on the final order, but one of these...

Magnavox-Odyssey.jpg

sega-saturn-japanese-5.jpg

Still my favorite to this day.

PS2 slim is the best looking system ever.

However, this is also pretty sexy:

207248-squid_genesis_header_2.jpg

Never saw one in real life but I love the 3do M2 design.

m2.jpg

wow. I love the typography work on this one.

J2ou5n5.jpg

da bes

Kaydan

Banned
I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this, but my personal favorite is:

xboxone.jpg

Clean, classy, materials quality is top notch. And it's about one of the only console that doesn't look like a toy.

420bits

That a sticker or something? Looks great. Limited editions should be stuff like this...PS4 is made for full-body art. Can't believe all this "gold paint on the glossy part" crap.

It's a swedish thing, a store put it up on auction (current bid, 1800 euros) and give 100% of the money to some homobitrans-gender thing for immigrants arriving in sweden.

They have said they may consider selling stickers but this "gaystation" is pained and one of a kind.

Edit: No idea if this is endorsed by Sony or not but my guess would be No, this is probably a custombuild and the stores own idea.

PS2 First Design.

PS2-Versions.jpg

I hated the black finish, because I find black to be an ugly color on something that's supposed to be an entertainment piece, but I LOVED that the console was ok to put upright vs taking up more space like a cable box does.

I wish more hardware providers went with the upright box.

I was organizing some of my game stuff the other day, and I thought, 'Wow, the Gamecube isn't my favorite console, but it sure looks great.. What a perfect little box'

Top 5:

Gameboy
392624-123950_gadget26_gameboy_b.jpg

Nintendo Gamecube
Gamecube-console.png

Sega Genesis Model 2
Sega-Genesis-Mk2-6button.jpg

PSOne
905_psone.jpg

Super Famicom
Super-Famicom-Console-Set.jpg

Runner up:

AV Famicom Sitting atop Famicom Disk System
NES_2_%2B_FDS.jpg

Speaking of which, anyone knows what was Nintendo's fascination with indigo? The only console of that era that didnt debut with Indigo was the N64

Did they market test is as positive? or was it just a market differentiation thing? Super odd to go with that specific color???

22201.jpg

22207.jpg

Occam

I LOVE that we made it to 7 pages and still not a SINGLE picture of an Xbox One lol

Vote goes to Vita for me!

You just had to go and jinx it.

EDIT:
Since everything else has already been posted, here's a design I really like (Marty 2):
hoOZwxR.jpg

openrob

panasonicq.jpg

Still not sure if this is the most appealing or least appealing...

This is the Panasonic GameCube hybrid that has DVD playback and an LCD display.

It looks hideous compared to the OG Nintendo one.
But I have always wanted it!

My contribution.

Cartridge based:
SNES

Disc based (exc. This gen)
PS2 OG version.

Current gen:
PS4

Handheld:
PSP Slim

Top Bottom