• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

It's sad. Back in 2012 and even early 2013, the forums were a nice place.
Personally, I was always a ChatRollian but the forums are a toxic place nowadays.

Which forums aren't? GAF is pretty much the highest standard you can get for a forum, but even then it spirals out of control sometimes.

KKRT00

Which forums aren't? GAF is pretty much the highest standard you can get for a forum, but even then it spirals out of control sometimes.
Ha, i would say 70% of new threads have tons of awful and stupid posts that should not be allowed here.

After latest Witcher 3 thread i would gladly vote over banning a word 'parity'.

Daedardus

I want a subtropic swimming pool with waterslide and waterfall in my 890 Jump though, in addition to a jacuzzi, a sauna, a two person shower and a minibar.

And I just avoid those threads, it's always the same discussion repeated over and over again. But I'm still glad we have a decent amount of sensible and intelligent posters.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Another use for all the commercials CIG has made: They can be shown on TVs at planetside locations around the persistent universe. So it looks like actual television programming is being shown when you're at a bar or wherever.

Blizzard

Banned
Another use for all the commercials CIG has made: They can be shown on TVs at planetside locations around the persistent universe. So it looks like actual television programming is being shown when you're at a bar or wherever.
They need to integrate Steam workshop functionality so I can code up a universal remote control to disable endless ship ads on TVs in bars. I'll make a killing!

Vlodril

So how would we play against our friend on the dog fighting module? Is it impossible atm? They only have random match making?

Yes. In about two weeks when the next big patch is up they ll add various things double the speed on the ships, the racing module and playing with friends.

A few things have come out today. First, Ben posted this update on the forum addressing some of the concerns about the Constellation, Phoenix in particular. Most notably: yes the Phoenix has size 2 missiles on its arms unlike the others; they decided against a combat variant so as to do something different as every other ship has had a combat variant; reiterating that the Phoenix's role is simply to be luxury and so is capable of doing VIP transport jobs as well as coming kited out with high quality components and essentially being "no expense spared", thus a sort of deluxe Connie but certainly not meant to be the best one; they're going to look into customizable ship interiors and see if they can allow for them to be changed such as allowing people who hate luxury yet got a luxury ship to rip out the luxury and have a luxuryless luxury ship; and finally ships are definitely NOT locked into their role and if you want to take an Aquila for instance and make it a cargo ship you can do it.

Honestly I think they've won me over. I'm looking for a buyer for my LTI Aurora LX on Reddit now and will be upgrading my Rear Admiral package to a Phoenix! Who needs a huge cargo hold when I'm not a space trucker? Ferrying VIPs through dangerous space as a cover for smuggling high grade illicit valuables under their unsuspecting feet sounds much more exciting. I do want to explore and was set on the Aquila at first, until I realized how much I hate its cockpit. I am convinced people who say it's the best have never sat in a normal Connie. The Aquila may have great lateral visibility, but it has ZERO vertical visibility.

Also, there's a new starter package that's basically the Aurora MR+ and an Arena Commander pass together, making it easier for new people to get into the game. Seems like it would be a good idea to put this in the first post of the thread, and any new threads opened on Star Citizen from now on.

Mr.Mike

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

The current stretch goals are kinda interesting. 52 million is a jet pack, so that eject button in the key bindings makes a bit more sense now. the 53 mil one is an Independent Arbitrators Guild, which based on the name just sounds like moderators, but if you read the description it seems like they're also filling an auditor role? I wonder if the rules of the game will cover things like defrauding organizations of in-game money.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Why would you tell me this

Haha, enjoy your T-shirt

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

The current stretch goals are kinda interesting. 52 million is a jet pack, so that eject button in the key bindings makes a bit more sense now. the 53 mil one is an Independent Arbitrators Guild, which based on the name just sounds like moderators, but if you read the description it seems like they're also filling an auditor role? I wonder if the rules of the game will cover things like defrauding organizations of in-game money.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me:

INDEPENDENT ARBITRATOR’S GUILD – Have you been wronged by your superiors? Has the member of your organization entrusted with watching the funds, been watching them go into their own pocket? Think you don’t have any recourse? You’re wrong. Fully licensed and bonded to work within the UEE and beyond, the Independent Arbitrator’s Guild allows citizens (and civilians, we don’t discriminate!) to file complaints against (or within) private organizations. Petition cases with our IAG representatives to have your voice heard and restitutions made. Is your business less than legitimate? IAG is only here to judge the matters you want us to. Confidentiality is guaranteed.

Haha, enjoy your T-shirt

That's exactly what it sounds like to me:
Can't wait for 0.9!
4qVG2YO.png

Oudwm8K.png

NdrncEx.png

pQmik1a.png

Xane

I also got to play the Murray Cup backstage. Travis Day is holding the record internally at CIG, but a friend of mine came close! Two seconds under Travis Days' best time. He's a REALY good racing player but seeing that live was amazing.

Also, one tip for the Murray Cup (no idea if they fix it for 0.9): Yaw is really grippy while pitch is slightly more sloppy. If you can, use yaw for most critical turns.

EDIT: And because we need more shiny; here's the M50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0eRJGhMeE

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...itch-questions-to-ben-about-connie-summarized

A summary of an interview with Ben.
The most interesting titbit is:

- It will roughly take a week to earn a connie in game.

Yeah, so much for P2W and grinding. But I'm sure that some people will be now upset that it's too easy to earn their precious Connie. :p

a week? is that, a week of full-time ingame time? So 168h? no way it can be as little as just 7 days of casual play. 168h of play to earn a connie seems realistic.

a week? is that, a week of full-time ingame time? So 168h? no way it can be as little as just 7 days of casual play. 168h of play to earn a connie seems realistic.

A week may seem too little, but 168 hours is really far too much. I'm thinking more around a week if you play, say, 8-12 hours per day. For people with full times (aka probably most of the backers) it would be longer of course since generally you can't play that much per day while also working. It's still an early number and the PU's economy is just shaping up, so anything could change.

A year ago Chris said that the thinking was that the Connie would take 60 hours of gameplay to get. Of course, considering the PU is not playable and balanced, obviously you should take all of the specific times with a grain of salt, and it will obviously vary person to person. However, it does show that it's not such a massive effort just to get the Connie.

Tommyhawk

A year ago Chris said that the thinking was that the Connie would take 60 hours of gameplay to get. Of course, considering the PU is not playable and balanced, obviously you should take all of the specific times with a grain of salt, and it will obviously vary person to person. However, it does show that it's not such a massive effort just to get the Connie.

60h for a Connie are reasonable and 168h are much too much.
So I guess he meant 7 days of casual play (although 60h aren't that casual).

But the Connie is a pretty good ship and it hopefully shows that you are not "forced" to invest real money or buy a Connie right now.

KKRT00

Probably a week of playing 2-3h a day. Maybe 4h.
Its really not that much considering its a ship for 4 players.

Still, PU is not even in alpha yet and changing cost or reward values is an easy task.

Jinroh

Is it normal that my deluxe hangar has been looking like this for some time?

It looks like this:

f-StarCitizen_201453f7219300175392.jpg

Instead of this:

f-StarCitizen2013_53f721f500175393.png

I remember that it once was very luminous, now it looks like most of the lightning is gone.

It looks like this:

Instead of this:

I remember that it once was very luminous, now it looks like most of the lightning is gone.

Its the temporary PBR transition that makes it look like that, in about 1 week it will look completely different.

I also got to play the Murray Cup backstage. Travis Day is holding the record internally at CIG, but a friend of mine came close! Two seconds under Travis Days' best time. He's a REALY good racing player but seeing that live was amazing.

Also, one tip for the Murray Cup (no idea if they fix it for 0.9): Yaw is really grippy while pitch is slightly more sloppy. If you can, use yaw for most critical turns.

EDIT: And because we need more shiny; here's the M50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0eRJGhMeE

Is the flight model different for the Murray cup because it's in-atmosphere?
168 hours seems realistic? It's quicker to level a character in WoW to Lv90. Like way quicker.

MrBig

The release of 0.9 will fix it? Great! It wasn't very deluxe looking anymore... :)

As a note, the Deluxe name is just tacked on - the hangar was designed as an industrial warehouse. The hangar revamps in the upcoming updates are better integrating them in to the game to come instead of having them as static, standalone content.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
As a note, the Deluxe name is just tacked on - the hangar was designed as an industrial warehouse. The hangar revamps in the upcoming updates are better integrating them in to the game to come instead of having them as static, standalone content.

Yeah, at GamesCom, Chris said something about our choice of hangar determining which planet we start on. Like Revel & York (Deluxe hangar) = Terra, Aeroview (Business hangar) = Stanton, VFG Industrial (Asteroid hangar) = Odin, etc.

It looks like this:

Instead of this:

Huh, that bottom picture is quite old. Lots of people complained about the "pee mist" and so it was removed hence the difference in lighting.

MrBig

Yeah, at GamesCom, Chris said something about our choice of hangar determining which planet we start on. Like Revel & York (Deluxe hangar) = Terra, Aeroview (Business hangar) = Stanton, VFG Industrial (Asteroid hangar) = Odin, etc.

I would assume that Hangar vendor/architect wouldn't determine location, but may limit options outside of the core planets. You will be able to choose your own starting planet, probably when the galaxy map and character system is worked out.

Daedardus

But everyone's free to choose a hangar regardless of what they had previously? Because some people shelled out $40 for a hangar upgrade so I'm wondering what they will do about that. And does the R&Y hangar come with higher hangar fees or are those neglible?

But everyone's free to choose a hangar regardless of what they had previously? Because some people shelled out $40 for a hangar upgrade so I'm wondering what they will do about that. And does the R&Y hangar come with higher hangar fees or are those neglible?

They haven't clarified that, but I think that's unlikely. Probably we'll be able to choose from any hangars we actually HAVE, rather through ships or from the upgrades.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I dunno, Roberts made it sound like we'll get to choose from all four hangars regardless of what we "own" based on aesthetic preference. Especially since all four hangars can accommodate all sizes of ships now.

I, too, wonder what they'll do about the money people spent to upgrade their hangars. Maybe give them store credit?

I dunno, Roberts made it sound like we'll get to choose from all four hangars regardless of what we "own" based on aesthetic preference. Especially since all four hangars can accommodate all sizes of ships now.
He also talked about that being a one-time thing (barring some sort of moving mechanic) kind of like you choosing your starting area and basing out of that location initially.

Kinda like oh you like the asteroid hangar? You won't be launching out of it and magically be flying off of the surface of some beautiful wonderplanet. You'll fly out of it in an asteroid belt in some industrial system somewhere out in some ass end of the galaxy.

Irobot82

He also talked about that being a one-time thing (barring some sort of moving mechanic) kind of like you choosing your starting area and basing out of that location initially.

Kinda like oh you like the asteroid hangar? You won't be launching out of it and magically be flying off of the surface of some beautiful wonderplanet. You'll fly out of it in an asteroid belt in some industrial system somewhere out in some ass end of the galaxy.

We may also want to keep in mind that this release of the hangars will probably also coincide with the module room system they made for the hangar. So sure maybe you can get a fancy York hangar, but if you only own an Aurora it's a small hangar.

epmode

I, too, wonder what they'll do about the money people spent to upgrade their hangars. Maybe give them store credit?

Lemme channel CIG for a second: $40 per hangar swap, those who already bought an upgrade get one free swap!

Daedardus

I don't know whether Sandi is really small, or Ben is just gigantic but it's funny to see them standing side by side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALwq4GWayks.

And if we really can pick our hangar, I'm still on the fence whether I want an Aeroview or a R&Y. The R&Y is too classy and I'm not really bothered by the fact you have to stay on civilised planets like Terra, since I want to be a sophisticated scientist anyway. But I have the feeling there are other downsides than just your starting location.

This is worrying. While relatively tame in its own right, starting up promotional advertising this early in SC's life sets what I feel is a very bad precedent.

I don't mind the color scheme or even the R9 decal since it can just be seen as the model number as is plastered on other ships, but the actual AMD logo and all being on there does bother me. At least they attempt to fit it in by giving AMD an in-fiction meaning "Accelerated Mass Design" but it's still a bit overt and shameless.

Still, this is far better than what could have been. Mobiglas powered by AMD? AMD stickers plastered over your ship's computer? Arena Commander, brought to you by AMD! ...I'll gladly take a ship skin over any of those.

Mr.Mike

This is worrying. While relatively tame in its own right, starting up promotional advertising this early in SC's life sets what I feel is a very bad precedent.

From Reddit.

brelard said:
It's supposed to be a racing variant presented at this AMD stream http://www.twitch.tv/amd/b/561101585[1] and Star Citizen will be included in the AMD never settle space.
This variant will enter to arena commander the 13th of september

I don't mind advertising like this, as it's non-obtrusive and might actually be desirable to some people. IT seems to be something that you will get if you buy a video card from "Accelerated Mass Design". It might actually become something desirable that has a high resale value eventually in the PU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom