• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

I don't know about you guys but I backed both this and Elite and I'm excited just to see the return of honest to god space sims. Enemy Starfighter is another one to watch (RELEASE A DK2-COMPATIBLE PROTOTYPE PLS).

I love how CIG is so adamant about showing real-time demos at these presentations, even if it kills em. While they may not implement all of the ridiculous stuff they've mentioned over the last year or two, it won't be from a lack of ambition or determination. They're basically Origin 2.0, for better or worse.

What a time to be alive, truly. Now I just need modern era flight sims to make a comeback. There's DCS, I know, but I'd like something completely new beside that.

Klyka

Banned
Sometimes I go into this thread to take a look at Hype Citizen, but jesus what the hell do you guys do in here sometimes?

Buy Elite. It's an amazing space sim that will be out THIS YEAR.

Buy Star Citizen. It's an amazing space sim that will be out in the future you can already play around with it.

Basically, buy all the space sims so we can get MORE.

mkenyon

Banned
Privateer > Tie Fighter.

Yeah that's right!

Both games were an essential part of my youth

I'm so glad there's so many space sims. First time I've had a joystick on my desk since maybe 1999 or 2000.

I didn't see all of the live stream so I've just been catching up on the videos, and the RSI Constellation video is incredible. As a wannabe explorer that pushes all the right buttons for me, but I'm staying resolute though and sticking with my 315p.

Edit: Just watched the Murray Cup racing one. Also epic, and has provided a new desktop background!

BK8r6TC.png

People on the forums are up in arms because the Phoenix is supposedly the best combat variant despite being less heavily armed than the Andromeda (people seem to think the point defense cannon = SPINAL MOUNT WAVE MOTION GUN OF DEATH or something), "forcing" them to impulse spend hundreds of dollars only to realize they hate luxury and everything the Phoenix represents.

GDI I should blacklist that site so I can't go there or something.

Not sure if this was already posted but here's a rip of the multi-crew demo stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4UR5HRM5Us
Was watching that on the stream I have to say, as much as this demo probably looked good on paper, it worked terribly in practice (technical fuckups aside).

4-way split screen where you can watch three of them frantically spinning their view around to find the enemy in the dense nebula, and the attacker's view spasming around in the clunky third person view. bleh.

I really wish they re-do this and present a video at a later date that shows this kind of scenario properly. The demo was just way too janky.

CTLance

Now that my hype has subsided a bit...

The multi-crew-demo: That horizontal strut on the turret viewport has to go.
The game isn't at a stage where a crewed play demo is feasible right now, methinks. We need specialized engineering, fire control and piloting seats with dedicated UIs so that people have something to do while the guys in the turrets spin like tops.
Oh well. All in good time.

Racing: The engine noises in the Murray Cup vid need more variance. They sounded like they were all the same and all at full throttle throughout, and a more pronounced Doppler effect would have been nice as well. I am spoiled by Elite Dangerous's aural smørrebrød, I admit.

Connie trailer: They took the pandering a bit too far for my tastes. It's all swell and good to, ah, reference a certain movie, but it was done so very bluntly. I'm also having issues with making the homage the main point of the trailer. It would have been a neat video if it was about first contact first and referencing iconic video and audio second, but it's the other way around. Still very neat, obviously.
Also: Poor doc, no seat for her.
Also also: Comms has seen some shit.
76pQCQU.png

Evrae

Banned
It's tongue in cheek-in cheek.

It's an in-universe cheesy commercial, meant to be cheesy, as the monolith transforms into the RSI logo.

It's meant to fuck with 2001 and Star Trek primarily, more than homage them, or reference them briefly in the sense of "heeey, look at what we know and are incorporating into our universe".

It's a joke.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

It's an in-universe cheesy commercial, meant to be cheesy, as the monolith transforms into the RSI logo.

It's meant to fuck with 2001 and Star Trek primarily, more than homage them, or reference them briefly in the sense of "heeey, look at what we know and are incorporating into our universe".

It's a joke.

yeah all their commercials are. I love them.

Zabojnik

I find it interesting that they've decided to show a luscious planet-side racing course instead of a more basic one in space. I guess it confirms that they are serious about the whole racing aspect, which is just as well, considering how much effort is going into the development of the flight model. It could very well turn into a proper game inside the game with time. What a time to be alive.

CTLance

The racing trailer has me undecided whether to play F-Zero GX or Wipeout HD. It did something right for sure.

Although those metal irises scare me. Ooops, malfunction! *Racers get chopped to bits*
yeah all their commercials are. I love them.
The Freelancer one was pretty damn close to a real-life Truck ad but that didn't bother me to the same extent.

Anyway. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it. The part with the atmosphere was wonderful. So cheesy. OH NOES an atmosphere.

Quick, better land so we can get our skulls bashed in by the natives! :D

Evrae

Banned
I find it interesting that they've decided to show a luscious planet-side racing course instead of a more basic one in space. I guess it confirms that they are serious about the whole racing aspect, which is just as well, considering how much effort is going into the development of the flight model. It could very well turn into a proper game inside the game with time. What a time to be alive.

Well, it's all the same thing.

The "planet-side" thing is only a skybox. It's exactly the same as the Arena Commander maps, just has different art painted on the walls. You still have simulation limits, which if you exceed, you wind up dead.

Until I can go down and crash into the ground, it's all just smoke and mirrors.

Tho I doubt we'll be ever be able to do that, and I don't really give a damn if we can or can't.

multi crew ship combat looked rough but so did the initial reveal of the dfm so I have high hopes that it will be amazing when they clean it up in the next few months

We need specialized engineering, fire control and piloting seats with dedicated UIs so that people have something to do while the guys in the turrets spin like tops.
Well, the issue with crewed stuff on the Connie is that it has a crew of four, while you need one pilot, one fighter pilot, and two gunners. So on the Andromeda and Phoenix (which I just realized can house more than four people thanks to the big bed) at least which have all those positions, you really won't have anyone to do engineering stuff or such. May actually make the Taurus and Aquila more interesting since the additional two crewmembers (or just one if you put a Merlin in the Aquila) will be able to do stuff that's not shooting.

Racing: The engine noises in the Murray Cup vid need more variance. They sounded like they were all the same and all at full throttle throughout, and a more pronounced Doppler effect would have been nice as well. I am spoiled by Elite Dangerous's aural smørrebrød, I admit.
Well, I wasn't able to watch the stream but I did hear they said they'll be overhauling the entire sound engine. Hopefully that does improve sound some.

Also: Poor doc, no seat for her.
The science officer actually does have a seat in the Aquila, up in the sensor turret! Guess they had her on the command deck just so she'd be on camera with the rest of the crew.

Also, the riot on the forums over the "stupid non-functional" Phoenix being the "best variant" because of its stats (people conveniently forget it lacks a pair of missile launchers though) is getting to the point where it's absolutely hilarious. I honestly think people are so drunk with throwing money at CIG they can't accept that the Andromeda, which they don't need to spend extra for and is absolutely free to all previous Connie owners, is the space superiority combat ship they so desperately are looking to find in the Phoenix. Never before has a size 7 power plant and a class 9 PDC drawn so much ire.

Reishiki

Banned
Thankfully, I have other ships that would be more suited for combat and I can use the Phoenix for everything else, up to and including interstellar raves.

I did notice that the Phoenix interior is unfinished, so I eagerly await the finishing touches for my traveling penthouse suite.

I post occasionally on the CIG forums, it is quite a horrible place. I have no idea how Ben and company put up with the horribly stupid things which are posted there.

epmode

It's a joke.

Right. I still agree with CTLance on this one. I much prefer all of the other commercials.

jett

D-Member
This game has an FPS component too? Wut. Will there be a proper single-player campaign? At this point I think I'm totally unsure what SC is about.

Daedardus

Went to gamescom yesterday, was too tired to watch all of the stream, still have to catch up with the brochures and specs. But I like what they showed, and I thought the commercial was great. It was more obvious and tongue in cheek than the other commercials but it's production value were as high as ever. And I feel like they are finally working at a good pace, although I much prefer the gameplay of Freespace 3 over SC and Elite: Dangerous 2.

Posted from my iPhone 8S.

This game has an FPS component too? Wut. Will there be a proper single-player campaign? At this point I think I'm totally unsure what SC is about.

Exploration is one of the pillars of the game.

1. FPS combat (in space and on ground)
2. Spaceship sim
3. Economy simulator
4. Exploration sim, in space and on ground

It has a single player campaign with ship flying and fps combat (called Squadron 42) as well as a persistent universe MMO with all the above mentioned parts.

jett

D-Member
I must've totally missed that there was supposed to be FPS combat in this game during the kickstarter. Thanks.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ah, nice. I upgraded to the Phoenix. Had some a bit of credit left over from previous package changes and I gifted myself the package from the second account I had created (just in case there was some benefit, didn't really pan out), so it was just an extra 30 bucks.

Now I'm just keeping an eye out for cross-chassis upgrades to go from the Constellation to whatever they come up with later.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't really get the purpose of the commercial -- it feels like the amount of time and effort they put into it could have better been used elsewhere -- but I suppose things like this may be required to keep the normal level of crowdfunding flowing? And even if everything from that commercial was from a game sequence that you could play, I do not think I would really want to play it -- landing on barren rocky place to drive around.

I also really hope they continue letting people turn chromatic aberration off since I dislike the look.

epmode

I also really hope they continue letting people turn chromatic aberration off since I dislike the look.

I really question the competency of any graphics guy that feels the need to enable chromatic aberration in first person games. It's crazy in third person as well unless they're specifically trying to simulate a cheap camera. Thank god for CryEngine console commands.

MrBig

I don't really get the purpose of the commercial -- it feels like the amount of time and effort they put into it could have better been used elsewhere -- but I suppose things like this may be required to keep the normal level of crowdfunding flowing? And even if everything from that commercial was from a game sequence that you could play, I do not think I would really want to play it -- landing on barren rocky place to drive around.

They've discussed this before. Internally, commercials are planned such that they must develop necessary systems for them.
The aurora commercial had a planetary take off, the hornet commercial a dogfight and planetary landing, etc. This constellation commercial had an exploration of Banu origins, environment, and animation, as well as a what looks to be a procedural landscape. Practically, everything in the commercials are useful, at least in learning experience if not resulting in useable assets.

Beyond that, it's just a trailer for people that don't really follow the game.

Blizzard

Banned
They've discussed this before. Internally, commercials are planned such that they must develop necessary systems for them.
The aurora commercial had a planetary take off, the hornet commercial a dogfight and planetary landing, etc. This constellation commercial had an exploration of Banu origins, environment, and animation, as well as a what looks to be a procedural landscape. Practically, everything in the commercials are useful, at least in learning experience if not resulting in useable assets.

If they're truly using the systems (procedural landscape etc.) that at least makes some sense, then. Thanks.

Daedardus

CIG are so incompetent, they can't even announce the next stretch goal before a new gets met.

And they also made a pity $1 million in a day, Star Citizen is doomed.

CIG are so incompetent, they can't even announce the next stretch goal before a new gets met.

I bet they are buying their ferraris right now. David Braben on the other hand sold his car for Elite.

Effect

It's also to drive up interest so people will pony up more money to keep the money flow constant. There may be development reasons but let's not try to downplay the fundraising or at worse dismiss it.

That said I've liked all the trailers so far. They're nice but their trailers in the end.

Daedardus

Maybe it's a test. They don't announce new stretch goals on purpose so that we keep funding and try to get the next million and to the next and so on... until they might release something.

Or they just picked up their Ferraris and don't care for updating the site anymore. With $51 million that's a Ferrari for each employee!

RulkezX

They should maybe just feature lock the thing instead of forever expanding on an already ridiculously ambitious game. they really don't need to be forever adding stretch goals.

They should just use the money to make the the planed features even better.
They should maybe just feature lock the thing instead of forever expanding on an already ridiculously ambitious game. they really don't need to be forever adding stretch goals.

They havent had stretch goals for a while... rather just tiny perks (space plant, towl, what have you) and saying "all this money goes to already designed systems."

Daedardus

They aren't really expanding with promising additional features but just using the money for general development.

But stretch goals have been fun in the past and don't need to be big stuff. I'm fine with silly decorative items, as long as we still have the feeling of getting something in return.

Zabojnik

If that's luxury, what will the 890 interior be?

south-park-randy-masturbation.jpg

Literally.

Although think about the stress of owning a 890 Jump. You'll be one failure of artificial gravity away from total disaster at all times. Imagine circling a rainbow colored nebula in total relaxation, balls deep in your Jakuzi. Then a pack of punk kids with their pimped-out 300i's jumps in and proceeds to shoot down your antigrav generator, just for giggles.

Hi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom