• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

The advertising adds to immersion in my opinion. As long as it is not intrusive.

Advertising is by its nature intrusive, whether it is modified to fit the fiction or not. It is selling users to corporations. It is endorsing products and companies in exchange for money. It is an unnecessary source of income when they make enough money to pay the yearly salary of one of their employees on average at least every two days when the game isn't even close to being done.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm not bothered by it as long as they don't get carried away with it. My suspension of disbelief can handle the idea of things sharing a common origin and some present-day corporations surviving to be Star Citizen era corporations.

Cargo ships with Coca-Cola plastered on the side would be neat.

The "Coca Cola Classic Cruiser" with 50's styling, heh. Inspiration:
FKm5Ucy.jpg

Advertising is by its nature intrusive, whether it is modified to fit the fiction or not. It is selling users to corporations. It is endorsing products and companies in exchange for money. It is an unnecessary source of income when they make enough money to pay the yearly salary of one one their employees on average at least every two days when the game isn't even close to being done.

I find when used properly, it can make areas feel much more authentic. Imagine one of the futuristic cities in Star Citizen looking like this. Now those ads don't look intrusive:
sLnUFea.jpg

There are already plans to have fictitious brands in the game advertised throughout the galaxy, a few real world names thrown in aren't going to hurt me. And if you see a ship like that with an AMD logo on the side, just shoot it down if you don't like it. Maybe that'll show him to choose a different skin next time

MrBig

I find when used properly, it can make areas feel much more authentic. Imagine one of the futuristic cities in Star Citizen looking like this. Now those ads don't look intrusive:

Ads in SC do not have to be for real entities. They've already created a large multitude of in-fiction companies.

Ads in SC do not have to be for real entities. They've already created a large multitude of in-fiction companies.

in-fiction ads can still exist. Having adverts for Coke, Sony, Philips, etc. would just make the world feel like it is the future of our world, rather than being some completely fictional universe.

epmode

I've been playing The Last of Us for a while now and I can confirm that in-game fictional advertising is a wonderful thing. But I'm instantly drawn out when I see a real logo in a game. All I can think of are the meetings the ad executives surely had with the developers as they provided their branding requirements. Logo size restrictions, stipulations on how long they expect the average player to see the logo, editorial approval on other game content (don't want brand perception to suffer), etc. Then there's the hidden metrics where the game itself tracks who sees which ad, who lingered on the ad. Really gross.

Fortunately this isn't really like that. AMD is more interested in SC's promised Mantle support but also the ability for the game to be a showcase for high end components, and thus sell more of those high end CPUs and GPUs. Also, if they can associate themselves with SC it can give the impression the game works best on AMD hardware (despite it being developed on both Nvidia and AMD systems) and thus lead more people to buy it over Intel and Nvidia.

CTLance

Not a fan at all of real-life companies invading the fictional space ship game.

Of course, if the brand establishes itself inside the game and permanently offers something distinct and coherent, then I'm more likely to accept it. This means tweaking the company logo and even name, thinking up a line of products that make sense and would be desirable in the game universe, write up a bunch of fiction to mesh in with the existing fiction, and so on. When the ad money runs out there needs to be some in-game justification and exit strategy.

I don't want to see genuine adverts in a game. It breaks immersion, and it dislike paying to get assaulted by advertisement. This really needs to be handled sensibly.

Zabojnik

How does AC currently run on a 2600k / GTX 770 combo? I don't actually plan on giving it a proper try anytime soon, not until I get a HOTAS and the module gets closer to a "1.0" release, but I'd still like to have something that's capable of running it at decent framerates, in case I find myself in need of scratching that itch. My initial plan was to build a new PC sometime in Q1 2015, but seeing the garbage that is the current CPU / GPU market, I think I'd rather wait another year and just upgrade my trusty old 570 GTX for now.

Daedardus

So we've nearly hit another million given three hours? Hiding the counter did nothing to the pledge rate, yet it de-emphasized their focus on only getting more money. Robert's secret plan is working.

Hell yes I one of the few who actually liked the direction the old HUD was going, the current one is just too minimalistic for me trying to keep it simple like a modern day fighter. I especially miss that 3d targeting reticle that sort of funnels your aim down towards the target which would be great with VR.

Zabojnik

Or a TrackIR

Back in the day when Lock-On: Modern Air Combat was king, I made myself a ghetto head tracking setup with a webcam, an infrared LED and one of those motion tracking apps, I think it was FreeCam? Worked alright, but not enough to convince me to shell out 150$+ for a TrackIR. I'll wait for the CV of the Rift, thank you. :p

Faith

Will they release a fix for hotas setups? It's unplayable right now because of this dump acceleration out of the centre.

Zabojnik

Will they release a fix for hotas setups? It's unplayable right now because of this dump acceleration out of the centre.

No. They want to keep the controls as X360 controller-centered as possible, because it will ease porting the game to X1/PS4.

I'll probably be included in the next big patch.

metalshade

Wow that redesign is awful.
All that space used up before you even get to looking out of the windows at your target.
Going to hope they make a combat focus mode where you can see radar, ship condition and targeting reticule with nothing else in the way, or else that will be another example of form over function. Again.
Is it just me?

Blizzard

Banned
All that space used up before you even get to looking out of the windows at your target.
Going to hope they make a combat focus mode where you can see radar, ship condition and targeting reticule with nothing else in the way, or else that will be another example of form over function. Again.
Is it just me?
No, I also prefer engineering-focused functionality and not filling screens or 3D space with decorations, but I suppose there are two camps in that regard and one may win out in the end.

Keep in mind that picture is just a concept design, not a screenshot. That's Zane Bien after all, their interface concept artist.

The view seems to be a bit lower than you'd normally have sitting in the Aurora, so it'll all probably be shifted down on your screen during actual gameplay so it's more out of the way.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That Aurora cockpit UI is exactly what I've wanted from this game from the beginning. Exactly. I hope it's implemented soon in all the ships.

MrBig

That Aurora cockpit UI is exactly what I've wanted from this game from the beginning. Exactly. I hope it's implemented soon in all the ships.

All manufactures will have different UI solutions. The current implementation is primarily the visor-based display for Anvil's Hornet.

Is it just me?

The Aurora is not a combat role ship.

metalshade

The Aurora is not a combat role ship.

(Snarky sidepoint.) My Aurora LN begs to differ.

My problem with the design isn't really the design itself, more the thinking behind it.
The person making it clearly doesn't sit at the PC, joystick in hand, and play the game.

It is just common sense that you want your main viewing area to be large, uncluttered and distraction free. Only vital at that moment info being displayed on your peripheries.

Everything else should be available to view somewhere out of the way, somewhere you aren't going to be seeing unless you are looking for it.

I guess I am an old fart in that area. I dislike the dashboard on my newer car because it tries to tell me all sorts of stuff I don't want to know until I want to know it.

MrBig

(Snarky sidepoint.) My Aurora LN begs to differ.

My problem with the design isn't really the design itself, more the thinking behind it.
The person making it clearly doesn't sit at the PC, joystick in hand, and play the game.

It is just common sense that you want your main viewing area to be large, uncluttered and distraction free. Only vital at that moment info being displayed on your peripheries.

Everything else should be available to view somewhere out of the way, somewhere you aren't going to be seeing unless you are looking for it.

I guess I am an old fart in that area. I dislike the dashboard on my newer car because it tries to tell me all sorts of stuff I don't want to know until I want to know it.

Don't overestimate the power of sticking bigger guns on an Aurora, it's still a personal defense and not morphing it into combat vessel. I'd be surprised if PU combat even ends up being heavily focused on actually seeing the target, as I expect viewing the radar and associated ship data will be the most important aspect, and visual contact only being important for final LoS shooting. From my brief time spent playing AC this has shown promise to hold true.

Even then, though, RSI has been adamant about HUD customization. I wouldn't be surprised if you could simply fold back those displays. Additionally, the space with unobstructed vision in that concept still appears to be higher than the Hornet with its relatively minimalist HUD, especially since the cockpit is practically a hemisphere and the control panels only take up a small part of it.

e: image rehost because FB is not appropriate.
6bfIdFY.jpg

Skunkers

But Sony, AMD and Philips? They should be bankrupt in ten years, let alone that they can hold out 900 years.

If you looked at Apple in 1996 or so, you would have said they'd be bankrupt in a lot less than 10 years. Then... y'know... they went and became the most valuable company on the planet.

Orgun

That new HUD is fantastic, found the old ones to be extremely lacking.

Much prefer the fighter jet style of cockpit as it has a lot of useful info in easy to see places. Like master caution alarms, lock warnings etc.

F4AF-F16Cockpit.jpg

Daedardus

Still would. That's what we're really talking about, right?

Uhm, no. It's just my feminine side judging other people's haircut. Because that's what women do. I think.

Anyway, they are making good progress on all the ships. I think they finally have most design tools figured out and are now able to work significantly faster. Setting up a studio is always hard, but coming next year, I think they'll pump out content at a hiher rate than some of us would expect.

Daedardus

PAX, and even then I'm not sure. I think the commercial will come when the ship's fully complete and flyable in DFM. They are still working on the damage states and I think it will only be available in racing mode for the 0.9 release.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
62xEBLH.png

Well done. I'd like to see a series of these edited down to 30 seconds. It would make for a fun promotional campaign.

[Top gear intro] [Racing scene] [Star Citizen, available now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom