• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Boss Mog

I just got my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Newegg and it doesn't seem to be working sadly. The PC won't even post. I get error code "0d" on my Asus P67 mobo which is listed as "Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes", whatever that means...

I'm using only one modular cable from my EVGA G2 850W power supply which splits into a 6-pin and a 6+2-pin. It's what I was using for my Asus GTX 670 (which had two 6-pin connections) only here I'm using the the "+2" since the Gigabyte GTX 970 has 6-pin and 8-pin connections.

The card lights up, all fans spinning etc.. but I get nothing. I put my Asus GTX 670 back in and it's working fine. Is it possible I got a bad card? There were no seals on my box whatsoever others than a piece of tape on the anti-static bag. Is this normal? Did Newegg send me a open box item? For the people that also bought this card, did your box have any kind of seals on it? Any help is appreciated.

Gonna go try and install it again and see if I have more luck this time.

Kezen

Banned
Boss★Moogle;132511046 said:
I just got my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Newegg and it doesn't seem to be working sadly. The PC won't even post. I get error code "0d" on my Asus P67 mobo which is listed as "Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes", whatever that means...

I'm using only one modular cable from my EVGA G2 850W power supply which splits into a 6-pin and a 6+2-pin. It's what I was using for my Asus GTX 670 (which had two 6-pin connections) only here I'm using the the "+2" since the Gigabyte GTX 970 has 6-pin and 8-pin connections.

The card lights up, all fans spinning etc.. but I get nothing. I put my Asus GTX 670 back in and it's working fine. Is it possible I got a bad card? There were no seals on my box whatsoever others than a piece of tape on the anti-static bag. Is this normal? Did Newegg send me a open box item? For the people that also bought this card, did your box have any kind of seals on it? Any help is appreciated.

The card requires TWO 8 pins connectors I think. Check you have plugged them well.

Varna

Yea, the VRAM stuff is kind of a bummer considering the GTX690 is still a beast. But when I really think about the recent games that have the high requirements, the difference from high to ultra textures isn't even that noticeable, if I am being completely honest with myself.

I just want a card that blows the GTX690 out of the water, and the 980 doesn't really do that IMO.

I'm seeing some marginal gains across the board. But you are right, it's not really an "upgrade." I decided to just sell mine because the value on the thing is dropping really fast now. You can always just SLI the 980 later if you want something that will perform a lot better. There really isn't a benefit to the sandwich cards is there other then being more convenient in smaller cases is there?

The card requires TWO 8 pins connectors I think. Check you have plugged them well.

No, he's right, it's a 6pin and an 8pin for the Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1.

Also, Boss★Moogle, I bought 2 of the same card and there were no seals on my boxes either

Edit:

I just got around to benchmarking my new cards. I didn't spend much time OCing. I just set the clocks to 1492Mhz and ran Heaven for 30 minutes. All seems to be in line with similar systems from what I've seen. I think I'm all set now with my new PC.

s3oAdrf.png

garath

Mmm. All this talk of power made me double check that my older PC power and cooling 750W had the right plugs. For an older supply it still delivers. Have plenty of 6 pins and a 6+2 pin. Golden.

Boss Mog

I think it's the Gigabyte 980 that uses 2x8, the 970 I have is 6+8.

So after writing my original message while I was up and running on my old card I decided to look at my sound devices because I noticed I wasn't getting any sound and my trusty Audigy 2 ZS was nowhere to be found in my playback devices. I decided to uninstall the drivers, and reboot to reinstall them but them when I went to reboot I got a new error code "94" this time and again my PC wouldn't boot to windows, this time with the old card. Apparently it has to do with PCI devices according to my mobo manual. I then tried putting the Gigabyte GTX 970 back in to see which code I got and this time I got "94" on the GTX 970 as well. So I said maybe my sound card is the issue so I removed it and now the GTX 970 boots up fine. So at least the good news is my new card and my old card are both fine.

Now I just need to figure out why my sound card is acting out. I doubt it's damaged since it was working fine before I attempted the initial 970 install. Its just weird that the sound card would cause the PC to not be able to boot. I do have an identical backup sound card I can try. So I'll try both and see what happens.

Serandur

Does anyone else's Gigabyte 970 blast fans to full speed during boot ups and shutdowns? It's a bit annoying, my Gigabyte 780 never did this.

Icing to the cake on the coil whine, I should have waited for the second wave of 970 models, can't even RMA at the moment because who knows how long I'll be without a card for with this lack of stock.

Salty Hippo

yea, it should be fine unless the psu is faulty. does it come one through vga without the card plugged in?

Yes it does. But I fixed it. Turns out my horribly projected case has a piece of plastic on the very first hole, and that combined with the position of the HDMI port on the 970 made it so that the HDMI cable wasn't being connected all the way. There is no such problem on the holes below that one so I just put the GPU in the bottom 16x slot of the motherboard, and now everything is ok.

I have one question though. My mobo has only one pci-e 3.0 slot, how do I know if it's the top or the bottom one. And does 3.0 or 2.0 matter for this video card?

Mupod

So the Asus Strix finally came in stock at Canada Computers...rushed to the store after work and picked mine up.

Of course, as soon as I got home I noticed NCIX finally decided to process my pre-order and ship mine at that exact moment.

So now I've got two 970s...but my motherboard is pretty ass for SLI. However my brother in law wants to abandon console gaming and was planning to sell his PS4, so we worked out a trade. So I get a ps4 with a bunch of games and 50 bucks, he gets his video card.

Really impressed by the card itself - haven't even done anything fancy and it's maintaining 1475mhz and never going over 60 degrees (with a custom fan profile). Question though - does anyone know how to set the boost clock higher in GPU tweak? I've always used this program in the past, but this new version seems limited to 1400 for some reason. I definitely have some headroom temperature-wise.

jsFqcL3UEV31x.jpg

Yes it does. But I fixed it. Turns out my horribly projected case has a piece of plastic on the very first hole, and that combined with the position of the HDMI port on the 970 made it so that the HDMI cable wasn't being connected all the way. There is no such problem on the holes below that one so I just put the GPU in the bottom 16x slot of the motherboard, and now everything is ok.

I have one question though. My mobo has only one pci-e 3.0 slot, how do I know if it's the top or the bottom one. And does 3.0 or 2.0 matter for this video card?
Probably the top one (closest to the CPU), but check your mobo manual to be sure.

Varna

Edit:

I just got around to benchmarking my new cards. I didn't spend much time OCing. I just set the clocks to 1492Mhz and ran Heaven for 30 minutes. All seems to be in line with similar systems from what I've seen. I think I'm all set now with my new PC.

s3oAdrf.png

What case are you using? How are the temps holding up with two of those guys in there? Been really impressed with the cooling on my solo 980GTX G1. Just thinking about the future... yes the future...

I have a problem...

So far no odd noises coming from my card... god I hope I don't start hearing them. I am super sensitive to this kind of stuff. Took me months to get my fans and everything setup for zero vibrations of any kind.

What case are you using? How are the temps holding up with two of those guys in there? Been really impressed with the cooling on my solo 980GTX G1. Just thinking about the future... yes the future...

I have a problem...

So far no odd noises coming from my card... god I hope I don't start hearing them. I am super sensitive to this kind of stuff. Took me months to get my fans and everything setup for zero vibrations of any kind.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro. Running Heaven for 30 mins, one card peaked at 73C and the other one reach 62C.

Mupod

dear Remember Me devs,

no, it's not fucking funny that you filled the intro of your game with graphical effects that look exactly like GPU artifacting. I was using it to test out DSR and it damn near gave me a heart attack.

Vuze

dear Remember Me devs,

no, it's not fucking funny that you filled the intro of your game with graphical effects that look exactly like GPU artifacting. I was using it to test out DSR and it damn near gave me a heart attack.

Haha, similar thing happened to me :D
But dayum, Remember Me with 4x DSR looks hot and performs so good on my 970! 4k60 yo, my mind was blown.

ne1

Using a case with limited space, would it be smarter to go for a smaller card, airflow wise?
With the gigabyte the air hot air can only go upwards next to the card while with the msi the bottom fan (pictured in the gigabyte picture) can also blow the air upwards behind the card.
Or should I just put an extra fan at the top of the case? Any input on how to think?

Kezen

Banned
Boss★Moogle;132522521 said:
I think it's the Gigabyte 980 that uses 2x8, the 970 I have is 6+8.

So after writing my original message while I was up and running on my old card I decided to look at my sound devices because I noticed I wasn't getting any sound and my trusty Audigy 2 ZS was nowhere to be found in my playback devices. I decided to uninstall the drivers, and reboot to reinstall them but them when I went to reboot I got a new error code "94" this time and again my PC wouldn't boot to windows, this time with the old card. Apparently it has to do with PCI devices according to my mobo manual. I then tried putting the Gigabyte GTX 970 back in to see which code I got and this time I got "94" on the GTX 970 as well. So I said maybe my sound card is the issue so I removed it and now the GTX 970 boots up fine. So at least the good news is my new card and my old card are both fine.

Now I just need to figure out why my sound card is acting out. I doubt it's damaged since it was working fine before I attempted the initial 970 install. Its just weird that the sound card would cause the PC to not be able to boot. I do have an identical backup sound card I can try. So I'll try both and see what happens.

Sounds like a BIOS bug. Update it if you haven't.

Rodpad

Neo Member
Buzzing and coil whine on my MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming card.

Listen to how quiet things are until the game starts rendering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV45fl-0GXg

Noise changes with what is being rendered (skip the the last 8 seconds).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx66l7EiCrE

Excessive coil whine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djh1XX9ilmI

I had no noise whatsoever from my Asus 660Ti or Asus 670Ti cards.

I'm sending it back to Scan for a full refund since this seems to be a widespread issue.

Man, yours is really bad. I get a little bit of that, but nothing too bad.

I've got an Asus Strix 970 arriving at somepoint today. I'll do the same tests to compare and contrast, hopefully with an upload by this evening or tomorrow.

Thrakier

Does anyone else's Gigabyte 970 blast fans to full speed during boot ups and shutdowns? It's a bit annoying, my Gigabyte 780 never did this.

Icing to the cake on the coil whine, I should have waited for the second wave of 970 models, can't even RMA at the moment because who knows how long I'll be without a card for with this lack of stock.

Even waiting for the fifth wave of 970 models will change nothing about the coil whine situation. When will people finally understand this?

Dezzy

Boss★Moogle;132511046 said:

For what it's worth, the MSI GTX 970 won't work right on my Asus H67 either. No POST, just a black screen with a beep here and there. It does boot after a few minutes, but that certainly isn't normal. I bought a Z97 and i7-4790 that I'm putting together tonight, and I'll try the card again. It did work on my wife's PC after all.

DEO3

Nabbed the MSI 970 and I can't say I hear any obvious coil whine or fan issues. Seems pretty quiet actually.

Same here, and when it does ramp up under full load, it's simply the low frequency sound of whoosing air that I hear, not unpleasant at all. My temperatures are regularly in the 70s, which seems higher than most people are getting, so the fact that I can hear anything at all may simply be due to poor air flow in my case causing the card to need to work harder to cool itself.

Serandur

Even waiting for the fifth wave of 970 models will change nothing about the coil whine situation. When will people finally understand this?

I meant I should have waited for the sake of cross-RMA (order second card, return first one). Stock would be more reliably available later on. Now I'm stuck, got a few weeks to ship it back but need a replacement first (because I sold my previous card).

I'm seeing some marginal gains across the board. But you are right, it's not really an "upgrade." I decided to just sell mine because the value on the thing is dropping really fast now. You can always just SLI the 980 later if you want something that will perform a lot better. There really isn't a benefit to the sandwich cards is there other then being more convenient in smaller cases is there?

Which 980 did you end up going with? Reference?

Before my 690 I had 2 6950s in crossfire right next to each other, and the temps on the cards were horrible. I am sure 980s are better in this situation, but I'd rather avoid it if I can.

I would have to scrap my Asus Essence STX sound card to space 2 cards apart, which is something I don't want to do.

Thorgi

DSR seems like a pretty cool feature (I've never seen Counter-Strike GO look so smooth before!) but it makes the Steam overlay SO TINY! Almost unreadable. I had to squint to reply to messages, and click-dragging the box only made it take up more space without making the text bigger.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
DSR seems like a pretty cool feature (I've never seen Counter-Strike GO look so smooth before!) but it makes the Steam overlay SO TINY! Almost unreadable. I had to squint to reply to messages, and click-dragging the box only made it take up more space without making the text bigger.

There's nothing we can do about that, I'm afraid, and the same thing happens when playing on a native 4K panel.

Thoraxes

No, he's right, it's a 6pin and an 8pin for the Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1.

Also, Boss★Moogle, I bought 2 of the same card and there were no seals on my boxes either

Edit:

s3oAdrf.png
Fuuuuuck.

I really wish I could find a 970.

bj00rn_

Banned
Then what is the reason any why aren't manufacturers doing something about it?

It's a tricky subject, electromagnetism, resonance.. Yeah.. Which creates scenarios where f.ex. a coil whining card might be silent if you put it into a different computer..

Coil whine might destroy an otherwise good experience, so manufacturers should dig much deeper into it than they seem to be (basically nothing?), .

Thorgi

There's nothing we can do about that, I'm afraid, and the same thing happens when playing on a native 4K panel.

Yeah, I imagine it's something Steam itself will have to take into account as they keep updating the client. Thanks for the clarification!

Mupod

Haha, similar thing happened to me :D
But dayum, Remember Me with 4x DSR looks hot and performs so good on my 970! 4k60 yo, my mind was blown.

The funny thing is this isn't the first time this has happened when I got a new card. My 8800GT died when I was playing Arkham Asylum for the first time, and bought a 4870 to replace it. I put in the card, boot up Batman, and walk right into this part.

I only tried it out a little bit last night and was floored by how good it is. I've used downsampling before but this is so much more convenient over all, the steam overlay thing is a small price to pay.

I especially like that you don't need to worry about the game's UI going all tiny like the overlay does. And how I don't need to make game-specific settings, just change my resolution ingame until I'm where I want.

Although even going to 4k resolution doesn't even make Dark Souls 2 begin to tax my 970. I see myself using this feature a lot until more demanding games start arriving.

Seanspeed

Banned
The funny thing is this isn't the first time this has happened when I got a new card. My 8800GT died when I was playing Arkham Asylum for the first time, and bought a 4870 to replace it. I put in the card, boot up Batman, and walk right into this part.

I only tried it out a little bit last night and was floored by how good it is. I've used downsampling before but this is so much more convenient over all, the steam overlay thing is a small price to pay.

I especially like that you don't need to worry about the game's UI going all tiny like the overlay does. And how I don't need to make game-specific settings, just change my resolution ingame until I'm where I want.

Although even going to 4k resolution doesn't even make Dark Souls 2 begin to tax my 970. I see myself using this feature a lot until more demanding games start arriving.
Pretty sure many games will still have badly scaled UI when using DSR.

What needs to happen is more developers putting in adjustable UI scaling. Some games have it and its fantastic just for normal use, but becomes a godsend when downsampling.

Top Bottom