• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

CHEEZMO™;132431321 said:
Got the job
HOcLW.png

Congratulations, buddy!
When do you start?

Reknoc

looks like EGX is going to be in Birmingham next year :\

Good. Guess I'll go next year then.

Im really surprised how well Shadows of Mordor has been reviewed.

Thought it would be another LotR game flop, I might have to get it
Steam sale to the rescue

It's pretty good, but its just Arkham City: Middle-Earth which is a little disappointing. The combat also feels really weak. The biggest concern though from what little I've played is how inorganic the touted nemesis system is. I haven't seen the power struggle stuff outside of one story mission but the orc promotion stuff is just "you died, now an orc has become a captain to replace and orc you killed" which is dull.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Objectively, I'm sure all of those things are right. Subjectively, I've sunk about 100 hours into it and there's still more I want to do. It's got several flaws but for me (and quite a few others it seems) it also has that magic 'thing' that just keeps you coming back.

A similar thing happened to me with Counterspy. The reviews were all right, but I just couldn't stop playing it!

Disagreement with video game press consensus shocker. Stop the press. I also don't really like Mario 64.

Volotaire

I am genuinely curious to hear your view if you don't mind explaining.

Just the whole we don't care about the bottom, we want to help the 'friends at the top'. That their polices are about only helping the top, instead of polices that stimulate the economy by increasing mobility of labour and so on. Transitional neoclassical ideas. Not to say he's wrong about their messages, I agree with some of the messages and am confused and criticise at Tory polices.

Just the whole we don't care about the bottom, we want to help the 'friends at the top'. That their polices are about only helping the top, instead of polices that stimulate the economy by increasing mobility of labour and so on. Transitional neoclassical ideas. Not to say he's wrong about their messages, I agree with some of the messages and am confused and criticise at Tory polices.

they seem terrified of losing the right-wing conservatives to ukip and at the same time, not scaring off the working class cameron so clearly hates. millions of pounds in to the nhs? haha, you fucking backpeddler.
it all seems like a party that is scared and unsure of its identity.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I'm going through some essays to find a specific one and I see an essay entitled "Are video games a waste of time?" and reading it makes me want to find the author and give her a piece of my mind (I'm sure she'd love that, being tracked down by the exams officer and told she's fulla shit). She tries to argue that films are better than books because 'technology'. Gaming is not a waste of time because it keeps animators employed. But this is my favourite bit:

"The was reports of a man in America who got so consumed In a video game where you are the sole survivor of an apocalypse and have to kill everyone to maintain survival that when he left the confinements of his own home he was certain that people around him were trying to kill him and shot 4 men. This however was in America where guns are readily available so potentially if on a game your natural instinct was to pull the gun out of your back pocket and shoot people then this is reinforced into someone mind it would be like a reflex and very easy to mistaken able to do it in real life"

Yep. That's what a quarter of a million pound education gets you.

The_Poet

Banned
So I'm going through some essays to find a specific one and I see an essay entitled "Are video games a waste of time?" and reading it makes me want to find the author and give her a piece of my mind (I'm sure she'd love that, being tracked down by the exams officer and told she's fulla shit). She tries to argue that films are better than books because 'technology'. Gaming is not a waste of time because it keeps animators employed. But this is my favourite bit:

"The was reports of a man in America who got so consumed In a video game where you are the sole survivor of an apocalypse and have to kill everyone to maintain survival that when he left the confinements of his own home he was certain that people around him were trying to kill him and shot 4 men. This however was in America where guns are readily available so potentially if on a game your natural instinct was to pull the gun out of your back pocket and shoot people then this is reinforced into someone mind it would be like a reflex and very easy to mistaken able to do it in real life"

Yep. That's what a quarter of a million pound education gets you.

Its very popular to think that all humans are born equal in terms of thought processes, I think its called the 'blank slate theory'. It says that external stimuli are the sole factor in shaping a person, so when things happen like shootings; everyone looks for what was to blame in the persons past.

The thing is that genetics play a HUGE part in personality and how people think, 2 people bought up exactly the same way will interpret their upbringing differently and lead different lives.

With tons of people playing games these days, there are bound to be a few nutters who might get triggered into something but they could equally be triggered by reading a book or looking at a tree. The nature of standard deviation means that there will always be extremes in terms of personality whilst the majority lie in the average

I dont really know where I'm going with this but it seems related.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Its very popular to think that all humans are born equal in terms of thought processes, I think its called the 'blank slate theory'. It says that external stimuli are the sole factor in shaping a person, so when things happen like shootings; everyone looks for what was to blame in the persons past.

The thing is that genetics play a HUGE part in personality and how people think, 2 people bought up exactly the same way will interpret their upbringing differently and lead different lives.

With tons of people playing games these days, there are bound to be a few nutters who might get triggered into something but they could equally be triggered by reading a book or looking at a tree. The nature of standard deviation means that there will always be extremes in terms of personality whilst the majority lie in the average

I dont really know where I'm going with this but it seems related.

Yeah I agree with you, I think the "play games, might shoot people" link is far too tenuous and with the millions of people who spend lots of time playing stuff there would be a lot more evidence.

I was more blown away by this 18-year-old girls' utter inability to express herself clearly while making facile, unsupported generalizations. I expected better.

But really, most things are a waste of time, innit. Depends on your definition of what wasting time is.

The_Poet

Banned
Yeah I agree with you, I think the "play games, might shoot people" link is far too tenuous and with the millions of people who spend lots of time playing stuff there would be a lot more evidence.

I was more blown away by this 18-year-old girls' utter inability to express herself clearly while making facile, unsupported generalizations. I expected better.

But really, most things are a waste of time, innit. Depends on your definition of what wasting time is.

Did she give a reference for the shooting? 0/10 if she didnt.

At first I thought you were saying the girl wrote a bad essay because she has shoddy genetics. Bit disappointed now.

Wow now I'm really disappointed, I thought that was the musings of a 15 year old.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - John Lennon

Speaking of Mr Lennon, that guy who shot him was inspired by Catcher in the Rye, books are clearly dangerous and in the interest of public safety I think books with violent or disturbing themes should be banned and we should think very carefully about who is allowed to own and read books. I think the best course of action would be to impose strict regulation of this dangerous past-time: no books without a license, no books for the mentally unstable or people with a criminal record, all books must be kept in a safe or lockbox. "Hardbacks" or Assualt Books to you and me should be taken out of circulation permanently.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
At first I thought you were saying the girl wrote a bad essay because she has shoddy genetics. Bit disappointed now.

Wow now I'm really disappointed, I thought that was the musings of a 15 year old.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - John Lennon

Speaking of Mr Lennon, that guy who shot him was inspired by Catcher in the Rye, books are clearly dangerous and in the interest of public safety I think books with violent or disturbing themes should be banned and we should think very carefully about who is allowed to own and read books. I think the best course of action would be to impose strict regulation of this dangerous past-time: no books without a license, no books for the mentally unstable or people with a criminal record, all books must be kept in a safe or lockbox. "Hardbacks" or Assualt Books to you and me should be taken out of circulation permanently.

lmao that's beautiful.

I've actually hurt my thumb reading a massive hardback last night. Sore as a bugger it is, made my weekly "mrs is out" tug sesh a bit painful :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
probably old, but I just found out you don't need a paper tax disc anymore - it's all done electronically by your number plate and all those lovely cameras the police have dotted about the place.

Not sure what I think - it makes sense I guess, but now I can't walk down the street and tut smugly when I see expired tax discs on neighbours' cars.

Skele7on

Banned
Last night I played destiny for quite a solid amount of time.

Made it to the end of the raid then called it a night.

Tonight I shall with friends beat it.

I dunno what I'm going to do afterwards, probably take a break from destiny until Iron Banner.

Work today is dragging like hell, they also have iPhones in stock at the apple store.

I am deciding what to do...

I dunno what I'm going to do afterwards, probably take a break from destiny until Iron Banner.

Work today is dragging like hell, they also have iPhones in stock at the apple store.

Yeah sorry I wasn't around to help out but obviously you made progress.

Iron Banner is the next thing I'm interested in for Destiny, but I also have my eyes on Alien Isolation and Driveclub this month, plus I want to try BF4 again at some point to see what the changes are like.

Skele7on

Banned
Yeah sorry I wasn't around to help out but obviously you made progress.

Iron Banner is the next thing I'm interested in for Destiny, but I also have my eyes on Alien Isolation and Driveclub this month, plus I want to try BF4 again at some point to see what the changes are like.

That's alright buddy, may need you tonight if you're around, just for the last boss.

As Matt has to go out but we want to get this finished!

Yeah looking forward to Alien, Driveclub not so much.

Yeah saw the patch looks interesting, funny that it took a YEAR to get this game fixed.

But GG to EA and Dice for actually putting the work in.

Volotaire is David Cameron. I assumed that was known.

You just blew my mind. It all makes sense now.

That's alright buddy, may need you tonight if you're around, just for the last boss.

As Matt has to go out but we want to get this finished!

Yeah looking forward to Alien, Driveclub not so much.

Yeah saw the patch looks interesting, funny that it took a YEAR to get this game fixed.

But GG to EA and Dice for actually putting the work in.

I'm not sure what my availability this evening is... I'm going out to the pictures straight after work and then having dinner so it could be 9 or later before I'm back. If I'm not online when you're putting a team together don't worry about it.

As for BF4, it's a shame it's taken so long to get it into a good state. I'm pleased that Hardline has been pushed back to Spring 2015 so they can polish it, definitely lesson learnt by DICE I think. Hardline looks a bit...eh though. I played the Beta and got to play it at EGX too. It's fun but I have problems with the premise. To me they haven't gone far enough to distinguish it from mainline BF games. It's still got "Battlefield" on the box so it has to play like Battlefield which means sacrificing some of the authenticity of the cops and robbers theme. For example, anyone can parachute. Engineers (subtly renamed Mechanics) can carry stinger missiles, you know, like bank robbers don't. I think the result will just be a Battlefield game with different skins and a few new modes.

That said, the new mode I played at EGX, Hotwire, WAS fun. Basically Conquest except the flags have been replaced by vehicles you can steal or destroy, so there's a lot of chase combat, and being able to shoot from the passenger seat of a car during a chase is great fun and I imagine the game will be far less predictable with objectives you can move around rather than the static objectives we're used to.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Just finished the raid. It's not so bad when you are with people who listen and work together.

Need to do it on hard mode now and I still want to keep playing crucible.

Battlefield games scare me - the PvP in Destiny feels chaotic and daft so I like it.

Not bothered by Alien or Driveclub or anything else coming out this year, sadly. I'll probably go back to Diablo 3 once I've finished with Destiny, at least until the DLC.

There are a few smaller Vita games id like to try but I don't get everyone saying how many amazing games are coming out. I don't see any of them, it just looks like the same old franchises to me. Bloodborne and The Order aren't till next year and I don't know how long it'll be until The Witness is released.

Reknoc

Thought this month would be relatively quiet with just bayonetta 2 and senran kagura but I somehow ended up preordering alien isolation, shadows of mordor, and the evil within.

Actually pretty hyped for the evil within.

Not sure about the rest of this year though... WWE 2k15 if the PC version happens

Rich!

aww shit.

filling in a job application for a data management role (company car included), and I got to this part:

"Please describe what you feel to be your two main strengths and two main weaknesses in your current role."

I've finished the positive side of it alright, but...shit. What kind of thing should I write as my weaknesses?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
aww shit.

filling in a job application for a data management role (company car included), and I got to this part:

I've finished the positive side of it alright, but...shit. What kind of thing should I write as my weaknesses?

I think it's fair to say you're not that good with the public, right?

SKINNER!

Banned
You could always try to pass off a positive reason as a weakness.

Something like "One of my weaknesses is working for too long and being too focused on work lolol".

Quite frankly, if I was an employer and I read that I'd be like "Ha, you're so full of it. cunt" and chuck the application in the bin.

Rich!

You could always try to pass off a positive reason as a weakness.

Something like "One of my weaknesses is working for too long and being too focused on work lolol".

Quite frankly, if I was an employer and I read that I'd be like "Ha, you're so full of it. cunt" and chuck the application in the bin.

uh oh. lets hope you arent my new employer

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
aww shit.

A few different ways to approach this:

One is, if you've got an actual weakness that is relevant to the role you are applying for, then declare it, but do so in a way that puts you in a good light. Like "I tend to be very focussed on detail and the task in hand, one of the things that tempted me about this job is the opportunity to see and understand the bigger picture".

Or, describe something that was a weakness but you have overcome. Like "I used to be impatient with customers, but I learned a lot from the team I've been working with and now it is probably the part of the job I enjoy the most".

Or, do something to cure your interview collywobbles or at least gain some sympathy, like "for all that I've been successful at the jobs I've done I'm rotten at interviews".

Or, state a weakness and show how it was compensated by the rest of the team and how you compensated for theirs, like "I'm a rubbish project manager, but I got a great reputation by picking good project managers from the team around me while I filled in the financial stuff."

Whatever it is you say, is something that will be picked up at interview, so make sure there's a story to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom