• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

Mikaju

Has anyone tried to purchase Live Gold from foreign regions? I just saw in my dash in which location is set to HK that the Live Gold 12 months now includes free Zoo Tycoon and Max. Not sure if its going to work in EU but tempted to try.

BloodR0se

Has anyone tried to purchase Live Gold from foreign regions? I just saw in my dash in which location is set to HK that the Live Gold 12 months now includes free Zoo Tycoon and Max. Not sure if its going to work in EU but tempted to try.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work however HK live subscriptions are far from the cheapest prices out there (around $47 per year) so I guess it depends on how much you want those games especially as Max has already featured on GWG.

I pre-ordered Halo:MCC off the US store and downloaded all of it. It's now in my library and says pre-ordered and when I click into it , it takes me to the store and lets me download it again. I've never pre-ordered a game on the Xbox One and I wanted to know is this normal? Thought it might be something to do with getting it off a different region's store.

sangreal

I pre-ordered Halo:MCC off the US store and downloaded all of it. It's now in my library and says pre-ordered and when I click into it , it takes me to the store and lets me download it again. I've never pre-ordered a game on the Xbox One and I wanted to know is this normal? Thought it might be something to do with getting it off a different region's store.

There are 3 versions of the MCC install package: NA, Europe and Asia

So yeah, that is probably why

Detective

My brother bought Fifa 15 from US store and thought the Arabic commentator comes as standard in every Fifa, It wasn't. So he changed the region to Saudi Arabia and downloaded the game again from there, For free :D Now he has to version :)

So apparently if you find a cheap game from one specific store and buy it its already yours in every other store, You can download the game again from the store that suits your language :p

This is great. I really hope they keep it like that :D

BloodR0se

My brother bought Fifa 15 from US store and thought the Arabic commentator comes as standard in every Fifa, It wasn't. So he changed the region to Saudi Arabia and downloaded the game again from there, For free :D Now he has to version :)

So apparently if you find a cheap game from one specific store and buy it its already yours in every other store, You can download the game again from the store that suits your language :p

This is great. I really hope they keep it like that :D

That's always been true and is particularly useful for UK/AU users as they can save HDD space by download the US version of a game that will be provided without the additional language packs.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Question; when I play games online, which servers are used and stuff when I have my country set to Hong Kong?

And as I've understood it, Hong Kong is usually cheaper than the other markets. I don't really want to spend time changing country and adding credit cards, so I was planning to just keep my account set to Hong Kong. Good or bad idea you think?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Can someone help me buying MCC from Hong Kong store? Its asking me for address and phone number?

B4D1E

Question; when I play games online, which servers are used and stuff when I have my country set to Hong Kong?

And as I've understood it, Hong Kong is usually cheaper than the other markets. I don't really want to spend time changing country and adding credit cards, so I was planning to just keep my account set to Hong Kong. Good or bad idea you think?

It depends, I noticed that there are not a lot of service (Apps) available for Hong-Kong. But game-wise, I can't see any disadvantages.

For the servers, I can't answer for sure. I think it's maybe based on your country's IP address (geolocation), but really not sure.

B4D1E

Can someone help me buying MCC from Hong Kong store? Its asking me for address and phone number?

Sorry for the double-post.

I'm in the same situation as you are. If I understand correctly, you have to use the same method as buying on the US store. I searched for an address and I came up with a University Residence (as well for the phone number). If you google it, it should be easy to find. But I didn't dare change anything on my console, as I am from Europe andI already buy from the US store.

I used my real address in as many fields as would pass validation.

I think I made up a postcode or looked a random one up.

Think my phone number again was anything that would pass validation.

Sordid

I've made a few purchases from Hong Kong with my UK credit card but tonight it isn't working, I'm getting a PBR9002 error. Will it be my bank blocking it or is it MS?

Edit: Reading a few other forums it seems as if it's MS blocking it. Bummer :(

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I've made a few purchases from Hong Kong with my UK credit card but tonight it isn't working, I'm getting a PBR9002 error. Will it be my bank blocking it or is it MS?

Edit: Reading a few other forums it seems as if it's MS blocking it. Bummer :(

I just tried to buy Mordor from HK and got that error but tried from India and it worked, albeit first time it said something went wrong try again. Tried again and it's now installing.

Use it while you can!

Guerrilla

I just tried to buy Mordor from HK and got that error but tried from India and it worked, albeit first time it said something went wrong try again. Tried again and it's now installing.

Use it while you can!

Just tried, also get the error :(((( I hope this is just temporary (wishful thinking)

So is this just for the HK store, or everything? would be horrible if it didn't work anymore :(

Edit: Just tried india, that still works fine for me. Maybe just a temporal paymaent processing problem only effecting hk?

I've read on another forum that the same thing is happening for purchases on the HK store. Hopefully it isn't going to happen to India store as well, but I need to pre-order Halo tonight while I still can.

Detective

Guys, Can I buy Metro Redux Bundle from India from xbox.com?

Must I have Indian address and what not?

Any of you tried it? Good?

Guerrilla

I've read on another forum that the same thing is happening for purchases on the HK store. Hopefully it isn't going to happen to India store as well, but I need to pre-order Halo tonight while I still can.

Right now we only know of the HK store being affected, india is working fine, so I'm still hopeful this is just a temporary problem, since if they blocked foreign cards, they would block them for every country simultaneously I think

B4D1E

I had the same error when I tried to buy FH2 from the US store. All I had to do, was finding gift cards (Target, PC Gamer Supply or Play-Asia) and I didn't have any problem redeeming the codes and buying the game in the end.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
yeah the payment error is just the same as when they blocked Paypal, just find an alternative method of payment, of which gift cards should always be valid.

US gift cards from Amazon should always work unless Amazon change their card checks. Same for Play Asia but their card packages x cost of games is annoying. i.e. cards are $600, games are $429 etc.

Guerrilla

yeah the payment error is just the same as when they blocked Paypal, just find an alternative method of payment, of which gift cards should always be valid.

US gift cards from Amazon should always work unless Amazon change their card checks. Same for Play Asia but their card packages x cost of games is annoying. i.e. cards are $600, games are $429 etc.

well you can apparently get 150 and 300 cards, so you could go 450 for a 429 game, and yeah gift cards will probably always work. Still hoping this is a bug though, has anyone tried the US Marketplace?

BloodR0se

For that reason, I really want to avoid using gift cards if at all possible and I'm not just talking about on other region stores.

I only buy games from the UK and US. Didn't have any problems buying MCC from the US store the other day. Maybe its happening because your buying from too many different regions? or just a problem with the HK store?

p3tran

Banned
so, I cant buy & preload sunset overdrive from HK.

I have used HK in the past without a problem.

I even added paypal (on top of my CC) and it wouldnt work like this either.

I even contacted my bank and made sure that there is no problem from their site.

In fact, they checked everything and said that my cc is good as always, AND they cant find any recent transaction or attempt for transaction (bank and visa), which -for them- is 100% proof that whatever the problem is, its from the site I'm trying to buy.

BloodR0se

In fact, they checked everything and said that my cc is good as always, AND they cant find any recent transaction or attempt for transaction (bank and visa), which -for them- is 100% proof that whatever the problem is, its from the site I'm trying to buy.

Yeah if that's the case then it means that Microsoft or their partner aren't even bothering to attempt to validate it. It's a common issue with systems like 3DSecure that I've experienced with other merchants from time to time.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Fuck me, I should have bought MCC when it went up earlier this week. I guess this is a thing of a past now. No work around this issue.

It just seems to be an issue with the HK store taking cc's at this point as you can still use HK currency if you load that onto your account.

If MS were really clamping down I'd imagine they would close down all other out-of-region purchases also.

p3tran

Banned
It just seems to be an issue with the HK store taking cc's at this point as you can still use HK currency if you load that onto your account.

If MS were really clamping down I'd imagine they would close down all other out-of-region purchases also.

thats good, because the other scenario is not very professional. and thats very politely putting it...

how do I "load up" my HK account with currency? any link for prepaid HK cards or something?

B4D1E

thats good, because the other scenario is not very professional. and thats very politely putting it...

how do I "load up" my HK account with currency? any link for prepaid HK cards or something?

You can find 150$ (~20$US), 300$ (~43$US) and 600$ (~83$US) gift cards on Play-Asia and it's instant delivery. I tried it yesterday for the 1st time, I bought 150$HKD (about 20$ US) to begin with, just in case it wouldn't work anymore. And had no problem buying FH2 car pass after. Now I'm just waiting for GTA V to be available for pre-order!!!

p3tran

Banned
You can find 150$ (~20$US), 300$ (~43$US) and 600$ (~83$US) gift cards on Play-Asia and it's instant delivery. I tried it yesterday for the 1st time, I bought 150$HKD (about 20$ US) to begin with, just in case it wouldn't work anymore. And had no problem buying FH2 car pass after. Now I'm just waiting for GTA V to be available for pre-order!!!

thanks.
right now they seem to only have $HK 600 in stock (which is fine), but I am stuck for 15 minutes, waiting for the email verification of my ...email from play-asia.
wtf?

(I suppose that after my email is verified, I will have to wait again for the email of the code I already have purchased.... :D )

also, they have plastered "tax free" everywhere, yet it is more expensive (like 6euros more) than purchasing direct with CC inside xbox.

BloodR0se

also, they have plastered "tax free" everywhere, yet it is more expensive (like 6euros more) than purchasing direct with CC inside xbox.

Yes because they're selling them at a mark up. That and them obviously not stocking enough to be able to provide a reliable service are why I would like to avoid using these codes if at all possible.

p3tran

Banned
Yes because they're selling them at a mark up. That and them obviously not stocking enough to be able to provide a reliable service are why I would like to avoid using these codes if at all possible.

bah... I have a friend over here, he runs a site for codes and subscriptions that has no mark-up, INSTANT delivery via email and sms (while I'm still waiting here for play-asia) and great prices.

If the CC thing in HK is not fixed soon (why be stupid, microsoft?) , I will call him and ask him to bring also HK cards.

B4D1E

thanks.
right now they seem to only have $HK 600 in stock (which is fine), but I am stuck for 15 minutes, waiting for the email verification of my ...email from play-asia.
wtf?

(I suppose that after my email is verified, I will have to wait again for the email of the code I already have purchased.... :D )

You're welcome.

Weird, yesterday 150 and 300 gift cards were available. All I had to do is confirm my phone number of my account, with a code sent via text on my phone.

And yeah, it's not as cheap as direct charging on your CC but at least that works and we don't end up paying 69.99€. I was shocked when I compared on the DGP website.

BloodR0se

bah... I have a friend over here, he runs a site for codes and subscriptions that has no mark-up, INSTANT delivery via email and sms (while I'm still waiting here for play-asia) and great prices.

If the CC thing in HK is not fixed soon (why be stupid, microsoft?) , I will call him and ask him to bring also HK cards.

Any chance of a PM with the URL for that site? Assuming that it is reputable, reliable and accepts PayPal?

BloodR0se

And yeah, it's not as cheap as direct charging on your CC but at least that works and we don't end up paying 69.99€. I was shocked when I compared on the DGP website.

I think it's more the principle with me tbh. I don't like lining someone else's pocket for nothing and in most cases the digital prices on HK aren't a million miles away from the price of a disc-based copy a few weeks after release.

This all does seem very strange though. People were using this back in the days of the 360 to some degree and it has been an active thing since the XB1 was launched. It doesn't seem right that MS would just kill off purchases in one region all of a sudden.

B4D1E

I think it's more the principle with me tbh. I don't like lining someone else's pocket for nothing and in most cases the digital prices on HK aren't a million miles away from the price of a disc-based copy a few weeks after release.

I totally agree with you. And you see that they take advantage of it by selling you gift card amounts that doesn't align with any game's prices.

BloodR0se

I totally agree with you. And you see that they take advantage of it by selling you gift cards amounts that doesn't align with the game's prices.

To be fair, both Microsoft and Sony are guilty of that though. Virtually nothing on the online stores costs the same as the flat rate of the card so you always end up with spare change left over.

Keys

Can I've these details too?
When I redeem the gift cards do I've to switch the region on the xbox or can I do it from the browser?

Top Bottom