• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Suikoden II - I was so wrong to look down on this game

Cyrus_Saren

What I wouldn't give to be able to play this again for the first time. Absolutely incredible game and is my favorite game of all time. You're in for a treat, OP! Glad you finally saw the light.

I recently played through Suikoden 1, 2, and 5. Man, they sure don't make 'em like they used to.

These games are mature, dark, political, and amazing.

swit

really wish they had released the PSP versions here in America :(
There is at least a hope for unofficial implementation of PSX script somewhere down the road. According to this post French translation guys created a tool that can insert PSX script into PSP version without any effort. The problem is that the author of this tool is not willing to share it until they finish the French translation :( 16:9 resolution and diagonal movements are so tempting... So close and yet so far away (the project already lasts 3 years and based on what I get with google translate it is still faaar from being finished).

urfe

I recently played through Suikoden 1, 2, and 5. Man, they sure don't make 'em like they used to.

These games are mature, dark, political, and amazing.

I'm now wishing for a portable way to play the other games, or at least 3.

For now I'll enjoy what I have.

My favorite RPG and one of my favorite games ever made. I must have played it through over 10 times. I loved:

• The story
  • The sprite work
  • The characters
  • The character development
  • The music
  • The castle
  • The NPCs and how they react and change with every event
  • Army battles
  • Battle system
  • That you could level up characters quickly
  • Runes
  • The plot twists
  • The multiple endings (I had no idea about this at first. I got the bad ending, cried like a baby, then immediately replayed the game)

and of course, Luca Blight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhNCbGDE4GI

One of the greatest games ever made. I would break down and cry if Suikoden 6 were announced.

With the current trend, it would be a freemium smartphone game ala Breath of Fire 6.

It'd have collectible runes, and perhaps they'd add a social feature where you could "recruit" 107 friends.

I'm convinced that the reason Konami hasn't released it yet on the PSN in North America is that they own a giant stash of un-opened copies of Suikoden II that they sell on eBay. Damn hoarders.

iLoveVN

It also definitely has one of the best mini-games in any RPG ever
That cooking contest mini-game <3

I'm so jelly of you, it's my best game of all time :-( I would love to be able to play it as if it was my first time ;_;

The story, the characters, their relations, that ending, everything in this game is so perfect....

linkboy

Suikoden 2 was the best RPG for the original PlayStation and I'd make a case for it being the best game in the system.

Totally love it

Rad-

Top 3 RPGs imo.

You should also play Suikoden 5. It's the closest thing to Suikoden 2. Obviously not as amazing though but still good and second best Suikoden if you ask me.

Suikoden II is basically the pinnacle or masterpiece example of 2D RPGs imo...

best part of it for me is how the 'war' story is translated beyond just politics but even into small things like seeing war camps, weapons stacked against walls, blacksmiths, kitchens, taverns, reporters, and basically every facet of the war

it takes you past the front lines and, with incredible 2D art, shows you every nook and cranny

every time I play it, I'm in awe of how 'immersive' the art is... you see all the small details around camps, towns, castles, and you really feel the 'war' world is fully realized

some of the best things are so tiny, like just a little gate... a small hut with boxes of supplies, a flint and tinder beside a campfire... a sunset behind a gallows

amazing art and story

only other two games that even come close to this are Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics... no other Suikoden even does... maaaaybe Suikoden III but certianly not the others. they're good and III's art is great but what II does it just so far beyond and special

krizzx

Its a shame the series is pretty much dead. Read a rumor that the original creator was working with them on 6, but it fell through.

iidesuyo

So Suikoden 1... Is it worth it?

Of course.

It will look extremely dated at first (no diagonal walking!), it looked dated to me even back in the days, but just play it for a few hours.

Great story, fast combat, one of the best BGMs ever. Enjoy!!

Played this for the first time recently, and thought the story was probably one of the strongest points of the game -- definitely one of my favourite stories in a video game ever. Sprite animation was absolutely fantastic too. Can't say I was too fond of the battles (I tended to get sleepy going through trash mobs), but at least they were quick. Also wish there was better indication of how to get all characters without using a guide. Very solid JRPG overall, though.

Tiu Neo

Konami still never explained that ESRB pop-up for Suikoden II for PSN...them bastards.

If I remember correctly, they explained on the stream that it was Sony's fault. Konami Japan doesn't want to release Suikoden II as a PSOne classic on the west.

...and that's why Konami US is doing this stream. To show Konami JP that there is interest in the series, and it is worthwhile to release the game.

Wow. I can't download Suikoden to my Vita...?

If your have an NA account, you'll have to download it on a PS3, and then transfer to the Vita. May also work with a PC, not sure.

So Suikoden 1... Is it worth it?
Definitely. Personally I think the story is rather.. simplistic. Not just the story but the writing... it feels like a children's book. But the core story is still very good, and it's basically the exact same formula as Suikoden II -- II just perfects it and makes a masterpiece out of it.

Top Bottom